• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Advice - Say No to a Recruit Lead?

In summary, the woman called the consultant and asked to join the team. The consultant met her once at a booth and didn't even know her. The consultant is cautious about the situation and is unsure of what to do.
hmolah
Hello all-

I need really good and honest advice here. I have a lady who called me up out of the blue today and asked to join my team. Now I have talked to her previously - but we didn't have anything scheduled today nor did she say she was ready at this time when asked. In short - she's always yelling at someone or something and cursing when we're on the phone together. (Either the kids, her husband, and animal - something.) Today was no different. In the midst of asking questions about the business it sounded like she was in a bar it was so loud, but instead I knew she was with family. Her husband kept yelling at her to get off the phone and when she asked me for info to send her, he'd yell into the phone "No don't send her nuthin'", and other lovely explicatives. To make matter worse, she told me she used to sell Avon and had been forbidden to ever sell it again. She had been short on cash after purchasing a new car and when she was in a rock and hard place, decided to pay for her car payment rather than pay Avon for the orders she had taken. (Avon you don't have to pay the company until AFTER the products arrived and you've collected them from the customer.) So, therefore she was inactivated and told not to sell again. Now, how do I know this? She's TELLING me all of this! I met her once at a booth a few weeks ago! I don't even know this lady!

Now, I've been with PC for 5 years. I take the company seriously, and while I didn't take my BUSINESS seriously at first, I never compromised my integrity or morals. I just was a hobby consultant and was happy. Regardless of my level of commitment to PC - I'd never compromise the company, myself or anyone else. So, in saying that, how do I handle this lead? She's ready to sign up soon and wants to start before the holidays. Generally I'd be very excited, but I'm quite cautioned with her. I emailed her to give her the information she requested (regardless of what her husband was saying) and told her a bit out the PC history. I explained we are a professional company with professional consultants. I truly believe that PC is that. There are many men and women who take their businesses and the company as a whole very seriously, and that is one of the things I love about PC.

I don't know if it's my place to decline her interest, but I don't know if I'd be hurting the company or misrepresenting what they are about if I DID sign her. I'm not being pretentious here, just cautioned on how to handle this situation. I don't want my consultant status put into any kind of jeopardy. Normally I'd consult my director about this, and I intend to do once she returns from her vacation. I did run it my DH to get his opinion, and he suggested that I just pray about how to handle it. I do agree with that! I need guidance, that's for sure! :angel: But, I also wanted to get the opinions of other consultants and thought this would be the best place to get that.

Thank you for your time!

I understand your caution. Do what you would with other people getting ready to start: what are her goals, have her line up her first 4 shows (will show you if she's going to work her biz and is serious), review the new consultant incentive program, talk about meeting the 30 day and 90 day goals, and then get into the specifics of paying for shows and the credit and debit cards so that those initial shows count for her first 30 days. If she is financially irresponsible, the way we pay for shows may prevent her from getting involved with us. She told you all of her dirt so you can bring up her experience with Avon. Ask if her husband is going to be supportive of her going out of the house to do shows. Maybe have her come observe a show first.

Also, talk to her about setting hours for her biz so that when she is on the phone it is a professional environment. You can start this by setting appointment times with her, kinda lead by example. Your time is valuable.

It's not for us to judge who's going to be successful or not.

just remember - her agreement is with PC and not with you, personally.

I do agree - have her make sure she has 4 - 6 confirmed shows on her calendar FIRST and make sure she has a proper banking account set up right away. Invite her to your Cluster Meeting also.

Good luck!!

I can understand her being distracted if it was a crying baby, but arguing with your husband during the phone conversation is extremely unprofessional. :(I know it's hard, because you would be training her and having to keep in contact with her ... but you are technically not her boss so it's not really the same as doing a job interview and picking who we want to hire. The recruits get to pick who they want to work with.Maybe she's looking for employment so that she can afford to leave her verbally abusive husband? If so you would be helping her!Maybe on future calls when stuff like that is happening in the background you can gently suggest that perhaps this is not a good time and ask to try the conversation again with she doesn't have so many distractions. If that's her daily routine, she may not realize how annoying & unprofessional it is. If she hears it from you (politely of course) a dozen or so times, it might click in her head! LOLI'd also sit her down & give her a little lesson on budgeting. Financial literacy is a learned behavior. It's not something that we are born with. She needs to understand how to keep the customer's money to PC separate from her own funds and not try to mix them. Just keep reiterating that it's NOT her money unless it's a commission check from PC to her and that spending it is considered fraudulent activity and could result in criminal charges.

You know, you could always talk to someone at HO and express your concerns about this lady and see what they say.

I had a consultant who did the show, took the money, put it in her joint account. Husband saw extra money and blew it. I was pretty much left out of everything, since I was an FD at the time (which that pissed me off, for lack of more professional verbage). I heard all of this from my director. Anyway, HO rescinded the agreement and I believe they are taking legal action against her. Again, from my director. So, your concern is valid.

And, I don't know this lady, but I can understand paying the car payment before paying Avon. I would certainly pay Avon, but can see the car as a priority. She could be a complete wacko, but she could also need something good in her life.

If it were me, I'd call HO and then see what they say. Then, if you decide to work with her, don't get wrapped up in her crap/drama. And check in with your director to see if there are any problems because HO will just send notices to your director, not you. Unless they changed that. Good luck. Let me know!

Ok, I'm going to be realistic here....I'd run and not look back. You are going to get involved with her and her dysfunctional life (husband) no matter how hard you try not to. I would only sign her IF her husband sat down with both of you and agreed to let her do this IN FRONT of you. You still have to train her....yada yada...sounds like a kitnapper thing to me.

Nanisu- My thoughts exactly! I will discuss this with my director, but I'll stick with the facts thus far and see what she says.

Sheila and AJPratt and everyone - thanks for your advice! The cursing and yelling has been from both her and her husband to themselves, kids, etc. EVERY time we talk, she's conversing simultaneously with me and someone else. (Which is annoying, but not the big problem) Today her dog kicked up dirt on her and she yelled an explicative. I personally don't talk that way, nor would I in a million years behave that way on the phone, so yes, it is a bit shocking. While I'm not "hiring" her into my company, I am making a mutual agreement to train/help her with her business. I will take the advice of talking to my director and HO. Sure, we all have crazy lives and sometimes it's hard to be in a quiet setting, but yelling at your kids, your husband and your dog and cursing while trying to have a phone conversation about starting a business is unprofessional. Combine all of that with the fact her husband is yelling back at me via her phone to not give her any info on the biz and also yelling at his wife to not do this and telling her "how it's going to be" as he put it, is just ridiculous.

Thank you all so much for your help. I do want to give each and everyone a fair chance, but in a sense, if I'm adding a person onto my team, aren't I also agreeing to train and guide them? I want to hold up my end of the bargain too, and I'm not sure I could with her. I would absolutely be mortified if she was to have a show and take the money and spend it on something else. Technically what she did to Avon is fraudulent and I just don't know if I want to risk my consultant status or sanity worrying about if she would do the same with PC. Sure, she would be a consultant with an agreement between HO and herself, but I still would feel responsible not using better judgement in the beginning.

We'll see what advice I get! Thanks again!

Recruiting isn't just about the new consultant. Its also about you and your team. You (and all of us that recruit) have to decide if we want to offer the opportunity; consider how this person will play into the dynamic of your cluster; if you want to work with them. There are a lot of factors. You are going about it the right way. I think there are some who would just sign her up and not care.

AJPratt said:
You know, you could always talk to someone at HO and express your concerns about this lady and see what they say.

I have to say that I completely agree with this sentiment. This is the sort of thing that our Sales Managers have great experience with, and they also have the advantage of knowing of the experience of MANY consultants. You can call and ask to yours or your director should know who it is.

Right! I figured they have the experience, and who knows someone may know someone at Avon and et an idea of what really happened.

You obviously have some Red Flags flying high right now about this situation, and sounds like for VERY GOOD REASON! I've learned to listen to that inner voice- especially when those warning flags are flying at full-staff! Definitely talk to your Director and HO. I personally would be looking for a way out of that one- not wanting to be associated with someone who conducts business in that manner....I wouldn't be surprised if she was looking for an easy way to get PC products and thinking she won't have to pay for them (like with Avon). If she was told she had to line up 4-6 shows (Cooking shows!) before she could sign, maybe that would sift out her true feelings towards the business. Doesn't sound like she'd last long anyway - how could she with all of that going on every time she gets on the phone? Would YOU do business with someone like that? :eek:Good luck!

Was her made BJ??
LOL

I had a similar experience w/ a potential recruit.
Heck she was brushing her teeth while we were having a conversation!

She wound up not signing...I think that was a real good thing..Her ethics were somewhat the same of the person you are describing.

Anyway...After a long thought process...Would I REALLY want someone like that on MY team????
my answer is NOT.....

Its only a headache, and I don;t care how much they pay me, I cannot be involved with a person like that..I have my own stuff to deal with.

I would call HO about what you feel about this person and how cautious you feel. As others have said, give her the "4-6 shows scheduled, separate bank account..." Emphasize to her payment is DUE the minute she places her order. She has no room to wait to use the money for anything else. The idea to tell her you can't talk while she is yelling at someone (only nicer put). Also tell her all about the calls she needs to make daily, etc. She is either a kitnapper who may try to "sell" the products on eBay after she gets them or doesn't realize things have to be paid for in advance!

Anne has great advice. Call HO if you need. Don't let it bug you. I've said no to a crazy parking lot-perfume spraying lady that ask what will happen if I don't do my shows. Then she told me she wasn't going to do her shows, but she wanted the kit. When I made a follow up call "Crazy" bitc*ed at me about calling at bath time...like I knew 7-8 was bath time. Called back when she told me to...bitc**d at me again. I said "Our personalities clashed and I'm sorry, but I'm not signing her up...and I'm sure she would find someone who would."

She did. And, the best part is the consultant called me to gloat about it. Months later the same consultant was whining because the new recruit was a "Kit Napper" that never did her shows. That is when I felt at peace for not dealing w/ the cheater.

Take the high road. Maybe this could be what she really needs by signing up. Pray. Think. Make a good decision for what would give you peace.

But really...by writing at all...you have known what it is all along...

Chefgirl2 said:
She did. And, the best part is the consultant called me to gloat about it. Months later the same consultant was whining because the new recruit was a "Kit Napper" that never did her shows. That is when I felt at peace for not dealing w/ the cheater.
:eek::eek: I can't believe that other consultant!

I agree with Elaine. You know in your heart that something isn't right. But sometimes we also need to give someone a chance. Do your due diligence and see where it takes you.

1. What is a recruit lead?

A recruit lead is a potential candidate for a job or position that is being actively pursued by a recruiter or hiring manager.

2. Why should I say no to a recruit lead?

There are several reasons why you may choose to say no to a recruit lead. It could be due to a lack of interest in the job or company, not meeting the qualifications, or having other commitments that prevent you from pursuing the opportunity.

3. How do I politely decline a recruit lead?

The best way to decline a recruit lead is to be honest and direct. Thank the recruiter for considering you and explain your reasons for declining. It's important to be professional and respectful in your communication.

4. Will saying no to a recruit lead affect my chances of future opportunities with the company?

It is possible that declining a recruit lead may affect your chances of future opportunities with the company, especially if the recruiter or hiring manager remembers your response. However, it's important to prioritize your own interests and only pursue opportunities that align with your goals and interests.

5. Can I change my mind after saying no to a recruit lead?

Yes, you can change your mind after saying no to a recruit lead. However, it's important to consider the impact of your decision and communicate your change of heart professionally and respectfully to the recruiter or hiring manager.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • milkangel
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • kdangel518