• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Advice for Choosing the Perfect Mid-Size SUV - New or Used?

In summary, the people are looking into getting a new car and they are hoping for an SUV either 4WD or AWD. They are not sure if they want new or used. They are also looking for advice on what type of SUV to purchase. If you got a new SUV recently, what kind of deal did you get, buying or leasing.
KellyRedHead
We are looking into getting a new car, want an SUV either 4WD or AWD.

We want something mid-size, hoping for a third row seat (pain when you have to take two cars to go somewhere).

Not sure if we want new or use. But wondered if anyone of you have a mid-size SUV out there would share with me what you have an why you like it or dis-like it.
If you got a new SUV recently, what kind of deal did you get, buying or leasing. Not sure what way to go on that either.

We don't have a clunker to cash in, it's a 1997, but the gas mileage was right up there so doesn't qualify.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Kelly V.

I drove a Ford Explorer with 3rd row AWD and loved it. I traded last year tho because of transmission problems and better gas mileage on my Rogue. I miss the 3rd row, but love the new Nissan rogue's gas mileage. I preferred the explorer to a jeep I drove before that. Thought the explorerer handled better.

When leasing, the one thing I always look at is that I drive WAY to much to stay in that lease mileage range. I figure I have a vehicle to drive not to watch sit in the garage because I am too close to going over my miles. That is just my opinion on leasing for my life/family. It fits really well into other's lifestyles.

Don't have advice on which SUV to purchase (though I do love my Forester!).

Here's what Dave Ramsey has to say about leasing (fleecing) a car:

A car fleece is basically renting a car. You pay $400 a month and at the end of the new car lease, you turn it back in. If you want to buy it, you are buying it for what they estimate at the beginning of the fleece to be the market value. At the end of the lease, it’s called the residual value. If you pay $400 a month for 60 months, you pay $24,000 before turning it in. The car will not have gone down in value more than that, because the car companies would lose money if it did. When they get the car back, you will have paid them more than the car has depreciated during that time.

During that time, you’re maintaining the car as if you owned it. You’ll get charged for excessive wear and tear, or if you put too many miles on it. If you rent it for $24,000 and it went down $15,000 in value, then it cost me $9,000 to rent this car for this period of time. That is their profit during that time.

Another thing is that the interest rates on a vehicle lease are not disclosed because the Federal Trade Commission has determined that this is not a debt, so there is no federal disclosure involved. Therefore, you have no truth in lending disclosure sheet. The interest rates you get charged are unbelievably high. That’s where you’ll realize you got screwed over.

People get sold automobile leases because they are told that it’s what sophisticated people do. But as it turns out, the car companies make more money on leasing you the car than if you bought the car with cash, according to the National Auto Dealers Association. Broke people think ‘how much down and how much a month’. Rich people think ‘how much’. If you can’t pay cash for a car, then ride a bicycle. But don’t lease a car.

Thanks Jeanine- A cluster mate just got a new forester and loves it! Traded in her Tribecca for it. Much better gas mileage she says. And my director is debating on one also.

My husband is the one who is looking into leasing more then myself. I would love a new 2008 left over or 2009 but the payment per month would be a killer.
That is why my husband brought up the leasing. But Dave Ramsey has a very good point on the value of the car and what you pay them over the period of 5 yrs.
We are afraid to purchase use, because we have gotten taken on my husband's truck, things never got fixed like the dealer said they would and we purchased it in January and still has not fix the truck. I have even contacted the attorney general's office and because it isn't something "major" they are telling me they cannot help.
We just don't want to purchase something we have to turn around and dump a ton of money back into right now.
I have debated keeping my car, it will be paid off next year, and will have 100,000 miles on it, but lately my fear of driving in the winter is getting worse and I would like a 4WD.

Charity - did you purchase the Nissan you have now new? or lease? Even with out the back seat is it pretty roomy? Our daughter is driving now (well has permit) and I am not sure if I need the 3rd row, but it is probably nice in a pinch.

Love to hear more on your SUV's, so keep them coming. It will help when you decide to go out and start looking in a week or two. And is there any difference between AWD and 4WD do you notice?

Thanks!
Kelly V.

Kelly,

I bought my Nissan new - only 400 miles!! My first new car ever! THANK YOU PAMPERED CHEF!!!! I thought I would really miss the 3rd row, but it has only been an issue maybe 3 times in the last year and a half. I have a car seat and a booster seat back there. I can also fit my nephew (who isn't a small child) between the 2 kid's seats when he is with us. Now, there isn't a TON of room for that and I wouldn't want to fight that seat belt battle daily. But with 2 kids or 3 with no car seats, I think there is plenty of room

the back has enough room for my rolling tote, carry tote and my rolling backpack. Then the seats lay down if I want. It is a front wheel drive. The reason I always went w/ 4wd or awd is that i live in the country and had to make sure i got to my corporate job every day. Now I don't worry about it so I went with front wheel drive.

Good luck!

My friend had a Rogue and loved it. I'm not a fan of the super small back window (just like my moms Pontiac Vibe - AWD). I'm used to a Chevy Blazer for the last 5 years. I am looking also and I'm sold on the Honda CR-V. They are 4cyl so you still get good gas mileage and they have real-time AWD so it kicks in when its needed, otherwise it drives in FWD (again for fuel savings). I commute 50 miles a day min for my full time job and then add in my PC shows mileage - I guzzle gas now in my Blazer so fuel savings is a biggee to me and also I would be over the leasing mileage in no time.

I always lecture people on leasing but I think the post above is well said by Dave Ramsey. Leasing is renting - might as well drive down the road and throw your money out your window because in the end, you traded in a vehicle that had value to it, in the end, if you don't want to keep a lease - you dont get value back bc you rented the car and don't own any part of it. If people lease bc they can't afford the payment of owning, then you're shopping out of your budget and that's just not smart spending. Live within your means, or cut on other areas so that you can afford it. (Not directed at you, its a generalized statement).

Other ones highly recommended from my research:
Toyota Rav 4 / Highlander
Any suburu is AWD (and the owners always love them)

I worked for a car dealership about 10 years ago...they offered both leases and selling cars...but they also would make sure that the customers and employees knew the differences. Basically...it is never a good financial investment to lease. While it seems cost effective now...it really is not. The only "okay" things about a lease is you can get a new car every two years or so. But you will never really "own" your car as you are (like someone mentioned above) just "renting" it.

As for SUV's...I live in North Central PA and we get snow...not as much as those of you in some areas but we get it still. I currently drive a Volvo XC90. It is a 7 passenger, though the 3rd row is only for little people (kids) as there isn't much leg room. The gas mileage is pretty good for the size it is but it takes 93 so the cost at the pump is always more. In my area right now 93 grade costs 3.09-3.19 so it costs me about $60-65 to fill up and I can go over 400 highway or about 350 in town only (I live a mile from work and can travel up to 75 mile round-trip for shows...its really rural here). I LOVE my car (well, suv). LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! It has AWD and so many standard extras that I have almost wrecked our VW and our truck b/c they don't have the back up beepers and I "forget" to really pay attention. LOL.
We got the car we did for the cargo space. Hardly ever do we use the 3rd row for seating (there are only 3 of us) but it is GREAT space for the dog ( 115 lb lab) when we are going away for the weekend to our camp or to visit family. But other cars we looked into where the Honda CR-V (heard it makes "tink" and "clink" noises like rocks in a tin can so we didn't test drive), the Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Santa Fe, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. We nixed the first few b/c of the cargo space and the last two because we got a killer deal on our Volvo.

I don't know how helpful this was, but if you can stay away from the lease...my advise is to do so.

My husband was the one you mentioned leasing like I said more then myself, because in the end there is no value in that car for yourself.
He wants to lease I guess for two reason, do we have a new car we and so that at the end of the lease we can turn around and purchase it. But what if I hate it at the end of the lease and then also I have to turn around and purhase with another 3-5 year loan, I will be paying on it FOREVER!

I don't mind purchasing a use car, but I am scared of purchasing a lemon that someone else is unloading and I am the sucker picking it up! Not only have I been taken on my husband's recent truck purchase, but also on a Durango we purchased a few years back (no longer have) did a carfax everything looked clean, also purchased a extended warranty (will never do again!) and come to find out about 1-2 years later it had either been in a flood or someone had gone mud bogging in it, because the part of the rear differential (sp wrong probably) went bad, we thought the warranty would cover it, nope they wouldn't and blame us for it!!
So I am going to be very, very careful about purchasing a use car.

I feel sorry for the salesman that will be getting me, he probably won't be able to wait for me to leave after all the questions I will be asking him on the car!!

Kelly V.

pampered.chris said:
I worked for a car dealership about 10 years ago...they offered both leases and selling cars...but they also would make sure that the customers and employees knew the differences. Basically...it is never a good financial investment to lease. While it seems cost effective now...it really is not. The only "okay" things about a lease is you can get a new car every two years or so. But you will never really "own" your car as you are (like someone mentioned above) just "renting" it.

As for SUV's...I live in North Central PA and we get snow...not as much as those of you in some areas but we get it still. I currently drive a Volvo XC90. It is a 7 passenger, though the 3rd row is only for little people (kids) as there isn't much leg room. The gas mileage is pretty good for the size it is but it takes 93 so the cost at the pump is always more. In my area right now 93 grade costs 3.09-3.19 so it costs me about $60-65 to fill up and I can go over 400 highway or about 350 in town only (I live a mile from work and can travel up to 75 mile round-trip for shows...its really rural here). I LOVE my car (well, suv). LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! It has AWD and so many standard extras that I have almost wrecked our VW and our truck b/c they don't have the back up beepers and I "forget" to really pay attention. LOL.
We got the car we did for the cargo space. Hardly ever do we use the 3rd row for seating (there are only 3 of us) but it is GREAT space for the dog ( 115 lb lab) when we are going away for the weekend to our camp or to visit family. But other cars we looked into where the Honda CR-V (heard it makes "tink" and "clink" noises like rocks in a tin can so we didn't test drive), the Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Santa Fe, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. We nixed the first few b/c of the cargo space and the last two because we got a killer deal on our Volvo.

I don't know how helpful this was, but if you can stay away from the lease...my advise is to do so.

What year is your Volvo, did you get it new and does it require you to put the high gas into it?

Thanks I appreciate all the help and advice on the lease.

KellyRedHead said:
What year is your Volvo, did you get it new and does it require you to put the high gas into it?

Thanks I appreciate all the help and advice on the lease.

My Volvo is a 2006, we purchased it a year ago with 23,500 miles on it. The engine does require the higher grade gas be used. I am not sure what happens if you put the lesser grades in it, but I know our VW Passat also requires 93 grade and if we put 89 in it too many times in a row the engine will "ping" and the performance is definitely different. (we alternate 89 & 93 in the VW just because...um...I really don't know why we do with that one, but we do. Or at least I did last summer when I was driving that before we got the Volvo). I really LOVE my Volvo. Some of the standard items on the car are the heated/power/leather seats (all seats are leather, only the two front are power/heated which is standard), 6 cd in dash, controls on the steering wheel, child lock button (on dash just hit is and the kids can't open the doors), 18" wheels, I think the park assist is standard, there is a button that folds in the mirrors for you, there is a built in child seat in the second row (just pop up a portion of the middle seat and voila! child seat), sunroof, keyless entry, power everything. I am not sure what else, I know there is more, though. The one extra that our car has that my DD LOVES is the built in DVD system. There are two screens built into the headrests of the two front seats and the back of the center console has a DVD player built in. I know that there is a way for my DD to listen to either a cd or radio when I have something else playing in the car and there are also ways to control the heat/ac in the other zones of the car. And like 12 cupholders...seriously...who needs that many?

Yeah, I would really try to talk your hubby OUT of the lease. Like you mentioned he is thinking about leasing for two years and then buying. But that is a bad option. That is actually one of the first things that the owners at the dealership advised me NOT to do in a lease (I never ended up leasing). They said the best people to lease are those that do not intend on buying and are comfortable with trading for a new lease every two years, that do not drive over the 12K miles (as 10 years ago you were charged 15 cents a mile over, if I remember correctly), and people that are not going to inadvertantly ever "trash" a vehicle. ("trash" as in dirty it up, my sisters car looks kinda like a trash can and they rarely ever clean it, and I don't just mean rocks and dirt from your feet, I am talking food, diapers, dishes, etc. I have NO IDEA how we are related.)

I really hope this all helps and that you find the BEST car for you!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that we still have the origional factory warranty to 50K or 4 years whichever is first, and the tranny to 100K, we have had some routine repairs corrected (wheel bearrings) for FREE!!! because it is still under the warranty. We have a warranty until July 2010. That is ALWAYS nice!!

We drive a GMC Envoy and I love it!! Before that we had a Mercury Mountaineer (same body and engine as a Ford Explorer)and I didn't like it nearly as much. The reasons I love our Envoy may not matter much if you don't have kids, but it has more trunk space where I can fit a double stroller(or for your PC kit). I think it also has more leg room than the Mountaineer, but I didn't sit in back much so I am not sure. It drives better and I think has a better rating on the engine than the Moutaineer or Explorer (hubby is the car guy) We bought it used, got a great deal from DH's job it has 100,000 miles on it now and is in great condition. It has optional 4 wheel drive which I use in the winter to get to shows. Another thing I love it the back window pops open, I like that option better than the roll down option. Anyway another SUV I have driven and really liked is the Toyota Sequoia.

what can you pay cash for? That's the only way we'll buy cars.

KellyRedHead said:
I don't mind purchasing a use car, but I am scared of purchasing a lemon that someone else is unloading and I am the sucker picking it up! Not only have I been taken on my husband's recent truck purchase, but also on a Durango we purchased a few years back (no longer have) did a carfax everything looked clean, also purchased a extended warranty (will never do again!) and come to find out about 1-2 years later it had either been in a flood or someone had gone mud bogging in it, because the part of the rear differential (sp wrong probably) went bad, we thought the warranty would cover it, nope they wouldn't and blame us for it!!
So I am going to be very, very careful about purchasing a use car.

FYI: I bought a brand new Chevy Blazer and I have what I call a Lemon so don't think its just with used vehicles... I have had the transmission pulled 5x in 4yrs of ownership. Half of my transmission has been rebuilt with original GM parts (yes all has been covered b/c its clearly a GM issue). My oil lines had to be replaced due to pulling the transmission. The moldings along the doors all rusted (both sides entire length) and GM wouldn't cover those b/c its plastic, however, they had a recall on all pickup trucks in certain years for same exact problem. The bow tie emblem on the front corroded and had to be replaced and now my rear doors are rusting out. The SUV is JUST 5yrs old and always well taken care of. Due to the complexity of Lemon Laws (and they very by state), I'm S.O.L. for Lemon Law status. It's always a chance you take, new or used. I've always bought American...I doubt my next vehicle will be as Honda, Toyota & Volvo (yes for the XC90) all have my attention.

Good luck with your search.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it. I get 24 mpg on average, I have the 4 cylinder not the 6, but the 6 gets really good to, i hear. I really want to upgrade to a newer one that has the 3rd row. I know a few people that have it and love it. If you buy a Hyundai brand new you have a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty. I bought mine with 40,000 and it did still have some warranty on it. I did have to get a button on my cruise control fixed (it broke off) and the warranty covered it. I didn't even know it was still under warranty (bought it used) until I went into the dealership and they told me.

You said you were worried about buying used. Just buy one that is still under warranty. Good Luck!!

DebbieJ said:
what can you pay cash for? That's the only way we'll buy cars.

Sometimes I really want a brand new car, but then remember how much I paid for my 1 and only new car ever and swore I would never do it again. Felt I paid wayyy too much for what I got especially when you firure in a loan and interest.

Luckily my DH is a a used car kind of guy. We try to only pay cash if we need a new car.

Do you have a mechanic you trust? Most will offer a car inspection. Mine does any way. If I wanted him to look at a car I wanted to purchase I would just bring it to him and pay either $30 or $60 depending on how much time I wanted him to spend digging arround. Luckily he is verry honest with us about our cars and what needs to be done and when.

cookinmama said:
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it. I get 24 mpg on average, I have the 4 cylinder not the 6, but the 6 gets really good to, i hear. I really want to upgrade to a newer one that has the 3rd row. I know a few people that have it and love it. If you buy a Hyundai brand new you have a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty. I bought mine with 40,000 and it did still have some warranty on it. I did have to get a button on my cruise control fixed (it broke off) and the warranty covered it. I didn't even know it was still under warranty (bought it used) until I went into the dealership and they told me.

You said you were worried about buying used. Just buy one that is still under warranty. Good Luck!!

How are the resale values on the Hyundai's, does anyone know? I suggested looking at one to my husband and he didn't think they held their value as well as some others. But the ones that hold their value a little more I am not sure I can afford monthly either.
I am stuck in the middle! :cry:
Also on the warranty, do you have to take the car to a Hyundai dealer for oil change for example so they know you are taking care of the car and not voiding the warranty. For some reason I thought a friend of mind mentioned that to me a while ago.
I haven't gone to look at any Hyundai's yet, the closest dealer is a little ways from me, but I wouldn't mind looking at them.

Kelly V.

I have owned 2 Hyundai's. They lasted a Very long time when taken care of with regular maintenance. I never had any trouble accept a timing belt. (now I know to get that changed!)

Didn't mean to lecture in my last post... just relaying my exp.

Sorry do not know about resale. I ran mine till they died...

Hi Paulette!

Your not lecturing me, I asked for people's opinions. Your fine.

I would love to pay cash for our next car, we don't have alot, but I hope to make a nice downpayment at least.

Where did you have your maintenance done on the car, a hyundai dealer or just where?

Thanks!
Kelly V.

I never had luck with getting work done at a dealer (unless it was under warranty and covered). I prefer to find a mechanic I trust. Many independent shops are qualified to also do warranty work. I found my Mechanic thru networking groups. I feel so fortunate to have someone reliable and with integrity.

etteluap70PC said:
I never had luck with getting work done at a dealer (unless it was under warranty and covered). I prefer to find a mechanic I trust. Many independent shops are qualified to also do warranty work. I found my Mechanic thru networking groups. I feel so fortunate to have someone reliable and with integrity.

That's good to know with the hyundai's. Because I was always under the impression you had to have the work done there for everything even oil changes. I can understand the warranty work has to though.

Kelly V.

KellyRedHead said:
That's good to know with the hyundai's. Because I was always under the impression you had to have the work done there for everything even oil changes. I can understand the warranty work has to though.

Kelly V.

make sure to read all the fine print (obviously) I have never leased but those I know who have had to have all the work done by the dealership.

For resale value - I'd say look at kelly blue book on line and also, I will never buy another car without checking out all the reviews on consumer reports (online is the best! - yes you have to pay for it but WELL worth it as its good for a year and has a TON of info on everything), edmunds.com and a few others...just type in the type of vehicle in yahoo/google and then follow it with 'reviews'. I don't believe Hyundai keep their value like Honda/Toyota/VW/Audi. I think Hyundai depreciate more like American brands even though they are foreign.

Love my Hyumdai Santa Fe, (I have the seat warmers & yes I do need them here in Texas sometimes even in the sumemer when DH is driving and freezing me ) It will be 3 years old and because 2 of our 3 kids were already driving we bought the one without 3rd row seating. Our neighbor loved it so much she bought the exact one (down to the color) but got the 3rd row seating and they have plenty of room.it has never given me a bit of trouble and we've road tripped in it alot to iowa and I drive it everydayi love the ample storage and it is so much easier to load than our expedition for shows

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer and would not recommend it. Although my dad was a Ford man his whole life the Explorer has some things that really take advantage of the consumer. I can't take my car just to any shop to check my brakes it has to be a Ford garage because they have a tool that you have to use for something and just your everyday shop doesn't have access to it. The other thing is a problem with the rear window exploding out of the car and shattering for no apparent reason this would have cost me $1700 if I wouldn't have had insurance. I bought american made because I thought the parts would be less expensive not true.

My suggestion is a Honda. If you don't need a huge car a Honda CRV is a good choice. My mom has one and she loves it. We have a ranch that we have to have 4WD to get into from the county road and she hasn't had any problems. If you need something larger I would go with the Honda Pilot. Honda has an excellent track record and mechanically they seem to be made to last. I know of several people who won't own anything else. I know that for me my next car will be a Honda.

Just my opinion

jj16

We hope to go out sometime this week and start to look anyway.
Also not sure if I want to try to sell my car out right myself or trade.
I did the blue book value on it and know what it basically is worth if I sell it or trade it.
I hope I don't offend anyone out there when I say this, but I hate dealing with car salesman. I just never know whether to trust what one is saying or not.
But that is why I guess I came here to get some opinions on your SUV's so I could be better prepared when I went out to look.

If anyone else has any other SUV's you love, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in here, I really do appreciate it!

Kelly V.

As someone else said look up reviews online.

Yeah care salesmen... ugh...

I drive a Chrysler Aspen and LOVE it!! We use mid grade gas in it and I budget $55 2x a month to fill it. I mostly drive just in town but did run up to Virginia Beach this weekend....filled it before I left and had to put another 1/2 tank in before coming home. It has a third and comfortable row. As far as storage is concerned...we lost a lot when I traded my mini-van in for it but we purchased a shelf that hooks into our hitch...for the shelf and the waterproof bag it was $100.Anyway..I love my truck.

We just bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox. I LOVE it!

It gets 32 mpg on the highway. That's my kind of gas mileage. It has huge legroom (esp in the back), fold down seats, great pick up and an awesome sound system. It has 3 outlets in it for misc. items (two in the front, one in the back and one in the way-back. The center console in the front will fit a 15" laptop and has a place to plug in your mp3 player or iPod to the sound system. Also has a fold down drink holder in the middle of the back seats and a full size spare.

All in all, a great bargain for the buck. We've always bought American, so I can't compare to anything foreign. Here is a link:
http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/2010/equinox/overview.do?seo=msn_|_2008_Chevy_Retention_|_IMG_Chevy_Equinox_|_Chevy_Equinox_|_chevy_equinox

Does the Chevy Equinox have a third row seat option?

My kids like them, but I wasn't sure on the room.
I have heard the mileage per gallon has gone up alot in them.

Kelly V.

Melissa78 said:
For resale value - I'd say look at kelly blue book on line and also, I will never buy another car without checking out all the reviews on consumer reports (online is the best! - yes you have to pay for it but WELL worth it as its good for a year and has a TON of info on everything), edmunds.com and a few others...just type in the type of vehicle in yahoo/google and then follow it with 'reviews'. I don't believe Hyundai keep their value like Honda/Toyota/VW/Audi. I think Hyundai depreciate more like American brands even though they are foreign.

Your local library has the consumer reports also. Unless you live in a tiny town like me.

i bought a 2009 Ford Flex and absolutely love it. It looks like a hearse but you just have to get in it and take for a test drive. Lots of room!!! Drove cross country with dh 2 stepsons Both 5"10 + with size 14 feet. and the Moose 100 lb german shepard. Everyone was comfortable (except when the dog wanted to go out and potty) lol granted we towed a trailer behind that held luggage, bikes, etc. but still I love it. the third row is very comfortable and isn't just for "little kids". Gas mileage around 23 - 27 depends on whose driving. lol

Hubby swears by his subarus. We've had 5 in the past 10 years.. (he loves to tinker and resell) they run forever as long as they are maintained and are awesome in winter.
Good luck to you.

I drive a Mazda5 and love it. It's not quite an SUV, it's not quite a minivan, it's not a sedan, it's just. . . perfect for me. A lot of times people looking for transporting stuff + a family get trapped into thinking that an SUV is the way to go, but I've been really, really happy with this. Seats six with the 3rd row engaged, but most of the time I fold it down. 2 sliding side doors make it SO easy to get in and out of the back for kids and grandparents. I get 30 MPG.
Think outside of the box http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda5/review.html

Had a little time today and went an drove a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer and a 2007 Ford Edge today. Has anyone had either of these or know someone who has??
Just wondered what you think of them.

I also wanted to go look at a 2007 Toyota Highander, but didn't have enough time, any thought on them too??

I love the 7 passenger, but not sure how much longer I will need the 2 extra seats, probably another 1-2 years at least.

Thanks!
Kelly V.

Before I bought my house in November I was looking at a Highlander. IMO you can't go wrong with Toyota (and that comes from a girl that has only owned American...BLAH!). The Mercury Mountaineer is the same thing as a Ford Escape only with the Mercury name on it so I recommend doing searches online for reviews. My next door neighbors have the Edge and really like it. I rode in one and the only thing I didn't like was seeing over the dash (say for parking) and I'm not short...just seemed to have a high dashboard. I never buy without reading reviews online via edmunds, consumer reports etc. I will say that Toyota always gets better reviews than Ford and it won't depreciate as much as Ford. Just my 2 cents.

I also noticed that the Edge had a high dash or hood (not sure which it was) that made it a little harder to see over. The ride was okay, not as smooth. I liked it though, but even on a 2007, the price was still high.

I also worry about the resale value of a SUV or a cross over in a couple of years when and if I want to trade up.
The salesman was nice, but did say the cross overs are in higher demand and probably would be for awhile.
But the Mountaineer had more of the bells and whistles at a lesser price (again worrying about resale value!) I am SO confused, I wish I had more $$ a month, but I don't want to have such a high payment my car stays in the drive way and goes no where because I can afford to do anything!!!

Hope to go drive the HIghlander on Monday. But it is a 2006 with 73,000 miles on it at almost $20 grand! And that worries me on the value in a few years.

Kelly V.

Kelly: Just a thought; I was looking at the Highlander before we bought the Flex. It's a good car. But really the room seemed a little cramped to me. Especially if you have kids growing still.

I traded in my Toyota Rav 4 and I gotta say that while Toyota used to put out great cars, they have really not done such a great job lately. I had an oil line break in the Rav (the last straw to sell) and the mechanics response was "wow this only usually happens on the Camrys." Now why would something "usually" happen on a vehicle. Talking with DH who is a car fanatic, it seems that Toyota is riding on its good name from years ago and the product is not what it should be. SO do your research and check out Consumer Reports on any vehicle you are looking at spending money on. Again good luck with your search.

Hi Traci!

I did look at the Flex while we were there at the dealership. The room was great, only problem is the payment. In an AWD it was too high for us. I didn't want to have something like that over my head for 5 years.
I did have a 2008 Consumer Report book that came out that covered up to 2007 models and the Mountaineer was scored "worse then average" so that one is off the list.
The Highlander was scored "better then average" We had a '97 Rav4 and it was a great running car, we did find it went thru brakes faster then it should, but lucky for me my husband can do that kind if repair.
I have read online alot this weekend that the Highlander's and Sienna's have horrible tires that come with the car (like horrible in snow which is where I am most of the winter!) an should be changed out.
Does anyone know how to search online on consumer reports? I didn't know this, but you have to pay to get into the site to look up what you want.
A friend subscribes, does that allow you to get into the site or is it separate?

Thanks!
Kelly V.

Kelly good luck with your search! I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander. I love it! I don't have the third row, but I don't have kids, so I didn't feel like I needed it. I know it's an option though. There is lots of room in my back seat and it's quite comfy. I got it last April and haven't had any issues (knock on wood :)). Have fun!

Maybe this weekend we will go again.

I am also going to try a Subaru Tribeca and see how i like those.

I need to get a newer Consumer reports book, mine only carries like one year of review on the Tribeca were some other cars it goes back 4-5 years. The reports gave it a better then average for '06, buts that's as far as my book goes.

Anyone have a Subaru Tribeca?

Kelly V.

From a CR junkie: Consumer Reports don't necessarily test out every vehicle every year. When I was looking at a Volvo they only had 2004 and 2006 b/c that was the last year for the major redesigns. I don't know anyone that has the Tribeca but they do look nice!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to update you all on my car search.

My husband and I went back out again last weekend and test drove a few more cars.
And we finally made our decision......we purchased a 2006 Subaru Tribeca.
It drives great, we got a decent deal and I got the limited package with leather I wanted. So we picked it up Friday (yesterday) and so far so good!

Thank you to everyone who shared your driving experiences with me! I appreciate all the input.

Kelly V.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of choosing a mid-size SUV?

A mid-size SUV offers a balance between space, fuel efficiency, and maneuverability. It typically has enough room for a family and their belongings, while still being easy to drive and park. Additionally, many mid-size SUVs come with advanced safety features and can handle various road conditions, making them a great choice for families.

2. Is 4WD or AWD better for a mid-size SUV?

Both 4WD (four-wheel drive) and AWD (all-wheel drive) have their advantages, so it ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. 4WD is typically better for off-roading and harsh weather conditions, while AWD is better for improved traction and handling on regular roads. If you live in an area with extreme weather or enjoy off-roading, 4WD may be the better option.

3. What are the advantages of a third row seat in a mid-size SUV?

A third row seat in a mid-size SUV can provide extra seating for larger families or when carpooling. It also allows for more flexibility in terms of passenger and cargo space, as the third row can be folded down when not in use. However, keep in mind that not all mid-size SUVs come with a third row option, so be sure to check before making a decision.

4. Should I buy or lease a new mid-size SUV?

The decision to buy or lease a new mid-size SUV depends on your personal preferences and financial situation. Buying a car means you will own it and have more flexibility in terms of modifications and usage. Leasing a car typically involves lower monthly payments and the ability to upgrade to a new vehicle every few years. Consider your budget and long-term plans before making a decision.

5. What are some popular mid-size SUV options and their features?

Some popular mid-size SUVs include the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Ford Explorer. These vehicles offer spacious interiors, advanced safety features, and good fuel efficiency. It's important to test drive different models and do research to find the best fit for your needs and preferences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janezapchef
Replies