• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hiring High School Tutors: Results, Pay & Session Length

other students HATE...math tutoring.I used to work as a tutor when I was in high school. I was paid $10 per hour, which for me was AWESOME because at the time it was a lot more than I would have earned as a babysitter. Not sure how much times have changed since then. I tutored a 7th grader and I was in 11th grade. Basically the teacher sent home a packet of worksheets (math, grammar, etc.) and it was my job to help walk the student through it all until she understood it better.I think it would be a good idea to try and find a tutor through a website like Care.com
amy07
My oldest DS is in need of some tutoring (4th grade) in math. I was thinking of trying to hire a high school student. Have any of you ever done this? Or has your child tutored a younger student? Did you get the desired results? And what about pay? What is a fair price to pay for 2-3 days/week? And how long to tutoring sessions last?

I used to work as a tutor when I was in high school. I was paid $10 per hour, which for me was AWESOME because at the time it was a lot more than I would have earned as a babysitter. Not sure how much times have changed since then. I tutored a 7th grader and I was in 11th grade. Basically the teacher sent home a packet of worksheets (math, grammar, etc.) and it was my job to help walk the student through it all until she understood it better.

thanks Katie!
I checked into those centers - ACKKK!! Outrageously expensive in my area. Now, to find a good high school student with LOTS of patience!

My daughter needs help, but I don't know what to do for her. She has a hard time with focusing and listening and absorbing what she's read so that she can follow the directions and/or answer the questions. She's like that with everything though. Very easily distracted, terrible at following through with the instructions given to her. She's a very creative girl and has her head in the clouds and is always thinking about her next "project". She's 9 and already driving me crazy. This is the first year that a teacher has come to me with a concern. She also is a terrible communicator. If you ask her a question, she won't answer you. It's like pulling teeth. It's like she's afraid she's going to get in trouble, or she's having a hard time processing what she wants to say or how she is going to say it.

Thanks for the link...I just registered as a caregiver in my area.

A tutor who tooted the flute
Tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to the tutor,
"Is harder to toot
Or to tutor two tooters to toot?"

ughubug said:
Thanks for the link...I just registered as a caregiver in my area.

You are very welcome. It seems like a great site. I never thought about anyone on here being able to sign up and possibly get their name out for extra money, but I'm glad you thought of it!

sklay723 said:
I used to work as a tutor when I was in high school. I was paid $10 per hour, which for me was AWESOME because at the time it was a lot more than I would have earned as a babysitter. Not sure how much times have changed since then. I tutored a 7th grader and I was in 11th grade. Basically the teacher sent home a packet of worksheets (math, grammar, etc.) and it was my job to help walk the student through it all until she understood it better.

did you advertise in the paper? How should I go about finding a tutor? Should I contact the honor society at my local high school to see if any students are interested?

check that website i posted, i looked around my area and found quite a few college student that are going for their elementary ed. degree looking for side jobs!

My suggestion Amy - contact the high school and they may some sort of tutoring program in place for the kids. Our high school has a list of students who teach orchestra lessons so I would imagine they could at least set you in the right direction (if they have a tutoring program)

Also, our high school sends over many students who are going into elementary education to help out in the elementary school classrooms during the day and the elementary kids love having their high school helpers. They are very patient with the kids which is a big plus.

Good luck!

amy07 said:
did you advertise in the paper? How should I go about finding a tutor? Should I contact the honor society at my local high school to see if any students are interested?

I think I was referred through the National Honor Society sponsor at my school, so that might be a great option. Make sure to tell them what subject specifically will be focused on, because some students LOVE math and hate history, and vice versa...you don't want to end up with a science tutor who can't stand science. If the tutor is excited about the subject, it might be a more effective match.

1. What qualifications do high school tutors need to have?

High school tutors typically need to have a strong understanding of the subject they are tutoring in, as well as good communication and organizational skills. They may also need to have previous tutoring experience or relevant coursework in the subject.

2. How are tutors selected and hired?

Tutors are selected through a rigorous application and interview process. We look for individuals who are passionate about the subject they will be tutoring and who have the necessary skills and experience to be successful tutors. Once selected, tutors undergo training and orientation before being matched with students.

3. What is the pay rate for high school tutors?

The pay rate for high school tutors varies depending on their qualifications and the subject they are tutoring in. On average, tutors can expect to earn between $15-$25 per hour. However, some highly qualified tutors may earn more.

4. How long are tutoring sessions?

Tutoring sessions typically last between 1-2 hours. However, the length of the session may vary depending on the needs of the student and the availability of the tutor. Some sessions may be shorter or longer depending on the subject and the progress being made.

5. How are tutoring sessions conducted?

Tutoring sessions can be conducted in person or online, depending on the preference of the student and the availability of the tutor. In-person sessions may take place at the student's home or a mutually agreed upon location, while online sessions are conducted through video conferencing platforms. Tutors will provide any necessary materials and resources for the session.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy