• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need a Little Input -- Transcription Fees

In summary, Rae is a content summarizer who is not sure how to charge for her services of transcribing tapes for a book project. She discusses this with The Furry Guy and he suggests she ask her online buddies for advice. She decides to charge $7 an hour, but will re-evaluate after doing the first group of tapes.
raebates
Staff member
In case you didn't know, I run a small publication design business from my home. I do a lot of flyers, brochures, and such. I also do basic typing for some of my clients. In reality, it's mostly a ministry. I create a lot of resumes for people entering the workforce after years as a homemaker, time in prison, or other challenging job-hunting situations. I don't charge for those resumes.

Early next week I'm meeting with one of my favorite clients. She's also an amazing friend. She's a Christian speaker and artist. She also pastors a home church that meets in her garage. I've done lots of work for her through the years. This is a new project, though. She's writing a book. It's a devotional that is also a collection of personal stories. I'll be transcribing tapes that she's recorded.

Here's my problem: I'm not really sure what to charge for this. Generally I charge by the page for typing. This is a lot more involved, though. I'll be transcribing, editing, and compiling the book.

What do you think? Does anyone know the going rate for a service like this? What keeps coming to mind is charging $7 per hour. I know that's low. I would charge more for someone else, but I really consider myself an armor-bearer for her and her ministry. Since I'll be working from home, that would be enough for me to pass up a temp job or two while we're doing the initial work on the book. When we spoke just before Thanksgiving, she had four tapes ready for transcription. She probably has more now.

Before you ask, yes, I've done this kind of work before. I know the kind of work and time it will involve. My pastor wrote a book about his cancer experience. I did essentially the same thing I'll be doing with this book. That, however, was a labor of love. I could never have taken payment for it. (He'll be self-publishing it sometime in the next few months. Pastor Tom plans to give it away free to the cancer patients he counsels.)

So, what do you say, guys and gals?

BTW, I discussed this with The Furry Guy this morning. He thought my idea sounded reasonable, since I will be doing it for Jackie. He then suggested I ask you, my online buddies. He's convinced someone out there has an answer for just about any question. Dontcha just love that guy? :love:

I have no idea, but $7 an hour doesn't seem like very much IMO. Could you agree to do one tape at that rate to see how it goes? Then re-evaluate?

Not really. Since I'll be getting at least four next week, I'll at least have to do the first group for the same price. What would you suggest?I probably ought to mention that I usually make only $9 to $10 an hour as a secretarial temp. We live in a very low-paying area.

Rae, if $7.00 keeps coming to mind, then I believe the Holy Spirit is putting that amount in your mind! Maybe that is all your dear friend can afford, and she just doesn't know how to tell you- so the Holy Spirit is speaking to you.

I've learned one thing...listen to those voices in my head- especially when they start repeating themselves. LOL. I guess the other question you could ask yourself is do you feel at peace about that amount? Do you feel that if you charge her that rate maybe others would expect that same bargain price?

I believe espeically since this is ministry based to do what ever you can to help people out with things that will ultimately be a blessing or answer to prayer to those that will be receiving the end product. And if giving her a little lower rate than you would normally charge is your way of helping her get the Word out, and bless other people without putting her in a financial bind, then you go right ahead and be a blessing right back to her by only asking for $7.00 per hour.

I'm a little like you in that way- it's a dear friend, I want to help, I want to be a blessing and I want to help them bless other people and if I have a gift that can make that happen, I'm going to share it and maybe even ask for less than I would normally desire.

If you just sit in a room, and just focus on God...He'll tell you what you should charge, and my guess is since $7.00 keeps popping in your head- run with it!

Hope that helps. I've been up since 3:00 a.m (couldn't sleep) and I have a feeling if I go back and re-read this before I hit SEND I'll confuse myself of be ashamed of my blabbering... so I hope this made sense.

What about asking her what she would like to pay or what she can afford. I think you could ask for $9-$10 an hour if she isn't sure. THEN you could lower it if you or she thinks it's too much. Do you know approximately how long it will take?
If you really think the Holy Spirit is telling you $7 an hour, then you can't argue with that.

Another option to consider is charging by the line. I used to do medical transcription and a lot of people that I know transcribe from home and they get paid by the line (although I'm not exactly sure what the going rate is per line, but I can try to find out). They felt that because of their typing speed, the doctors were getting way more for their money at the hourly rate and the transcriptionist wasn't getting a fair deal. But since this is for a friend and the ministry, I'm not sure if you would want to use this method.

I'd charge her nothing, and ask her to pay it forward.

Rae - do what you think is best. I'm not much help on that since I haven't done that in years. Last time I did typing or transcription was for someone's thesis back in 1994. $7/hour is what I got paid then.

Ask her what she feels she can afford and go from there. It may be a pleasant surprise for you or it may be what was on your mind.

I do medical transcription from home and I make $0.10 per line. I print out all of my work on the paper that the medical office provides. Keep in mind that you are proofreading and editing and you print out stuff using your printer and ink and your paper there will also be some expense for you that you will need to cover.

JoLynn

I did this a few years ago for a good friend who had tapes that her Uncle had recorded family history, stories, etc. on. I do medical transcription for a living (hourly rate) so I we agreed on $8/hr., which was way less then what I earn but I wasn't doing it for the money. I typed them in WORD and then emailed it all to her to edit and print, etc. No ink, paper, etc. on my part. It was a very rewarding thing for me do - listening to lots of history recited by this elderly gentleman from Michigan and being able to preserve that for his family. Your project sounds rewarding, as well.

jbarnhill said:
I do medical transcription from home and I make $0.10 per line. I print out all of my work on the paper that the medical office provides. Keep in mind that you are proofreading and editing and you print out stuff using your printer and ink and your paper there will also be some expense for you that you will need to cover.

JoLynn

My employer pays the at-home transcriber 13 cents a line, the in-office staff get paid by the hour and I make quite a bit more than the $7/hr you mentioned. You really do need to charge what you are comfortable asking.

Also keep in mind how clear the tapes are, if they are muffled in any way, you will take much longer to get any rewarding progress.

HTH

A friend of mine is currently paying $5 per page to have content created from scratch. What you're doing doesn't really sound much different, other than you aren't creatively writing from notes- but you'll be doing all the other tasks that goes along with it.You might want to explore a website from a company that actually creates documentation and content, like http://www.elance.com/p/landing/buyer.html.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate your help. It's wonderful to be part of a community of people who are so willing to give of their time to help others.If doing this for free were an option, I'd gladly do that for Jackie. However, I'll need to cover my costs and my time. Plus, Jackie usually doesn't allow me to do that. She often quotes to me the scripture about a worker being worthy of their hire.My problem with charging per line is that my part in the project won't end with simple transcription. We'll be doing a lot of editing and rewriting after the initial transcription, so I'd need to come up with a different fee structure for each part of the process. I know Jackie would prefer a less complicated arrangement. Also, while I'll be using her stories, they'll need a lot of reworking. Jackie's an amazing speaker, but I'll be basically translating her work to written form. It sometimes takes quite a bit of work to change what she says to what she means so it can be understood on paper. KG, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Since $7/hour is what keeps coming to mind, I'm going to go with the majority of the advice here and figure that's God's nudging.

You're lucky you're not doing mine - I write like I talk.There's a support group for people like us - it's called On And On And On Anon.

What are the transcription fees for Pampered Chef?

The transcription fees for Pampered Chef vary depending on the length and complexity of the audio or video file. Please contact our customer service team for a personalized quote.

Do I need to provide any equipment for the transcription service?

No, our professional transcriptionists have all the necessary equipment to transcribe your audio or video files accurately and efficiently.

How long does it take to receive the transcribed document?

The turnaround time for transcriptions can vary depending on the length and complexity of the file. Typically, our standard turnaround time is 2-3 business days. However, we also offer rush services for an additional fee.

Is there a limit to the number of speakers in the audio or video file?

No, there is no limit to the number of speakers in the file. Our transcriptionists are experienced in transcribing files with multiple speakers and can accurately distinguish between them.

Can I request specific formatting for the transcribed document?

Yes, you can request specific formatting for your transcribed document. Our transcriptionists can accommodate various formatting styles, such as bullet points, timestamps, and speaker labels. Please note that additional fees may apply for specialized formatting requests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BlessedWifeMommy
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies