• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need a Foolproof Apple Pie Recipe?

In summary, Beth's grandmother's apple pie recipe calls for 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2Tbsp flour, and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg. It is recommended to use 6-7 apples, sliced thin, and 1 Tbsp butter. This recipe is followed with a Good Housekeeping recipe that calls for lemon juice and sugar. If you want to make the pie using the types of apples Beth has suggested, your pie will turn out - those are apples meant for baking.
chefa
My Mom was the pie baker in our family. Since she's passed away, I've tried to pick up the slack and I can replicate her peach and chocolate pies, but I don't ever remember her making an apple pie.

Guess what dear old Dad has requested for Christmas Day? An apple pie! Help. Everytime I've tried an apple pie, the apples get overcooked. Anybody got a great apple pie recipe they'd care to share?

TIA - Chefa:eek:

My grandmother was an amazing baker and she taught me. Since you already do other pies I'll skip the crust but here's her apple pie:2/3 - 3/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of the apples)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
6-7 apples (I use granny smith and sometimes throw in a couple Braeburn or Rome), sliced thin
1 Tbsp butterCombine dry ingredients. Spread 1/3 of apple slices then 1/3 of sugar mixture, then 1/3 of butter. Repeat twice. Top with pie crust, vent. Bake 375 for 30-35 minutes.

Sounds [erfectly yummy! Thanks for sharing Beth!

I found this recipe and made it for Thanksgiving. It is definitely a winner. I followed the advice in some of the reviews and added cinnamon. I also did not do the lattice crust - I just put all the apples in the bottom crust, drizzled the caramel mixture over the apples, and covered with a full top crust. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/

I do a very basic recipe similar to Beth's..I use a Good Housekeeping recipe that is similar to my mom's Better Homes and Gardens (difference is lemon juice and a little sugar). I use the peeler/corer/slicer for the apples and it makes them perfectly sized

The type of apple you choose is going to determine whether the apples hold their shape or turn to applesauce (I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say the apples get overcooked.)

If you make the pie using the types of apples Beth has suggested, your pie will turn out - those are apples meant for baking.

12 Great Apples for Baking

I love the apple pie recipe in simply sweet, however I don't do the double crust on the bottom. I just put a layer of the almond paste. It is so good.

Hi there! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's passing, but I'm glad you're carrying on her pie-making legacy. Apple pie can be tricky, but with the right recipe and techniques, I'm sure you'll be able to make a delicious one for your dad. Here's a foolproof apple pie recipe that I love to use:Ingredients:
- 6 cups of thinly sliced apples (I recommend using a mix of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, diced
- 1 double pie crust (homemade or store-bought)Instructions:1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Toss everything together until the apples are evenly coated.3. Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges and prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.4. Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust and dot the top with the diced butter.5. Roll out the second pie crust and place it over the apples. Trim the edges and crimp them together with the bottom crust to seal.6. Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape.7. Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.8. Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.I hope this recipe helps and that your dad loves his Christmas Day apple pie! Let me know how it turns out. Happy baking!Best,
Chef A.

What ingredients are needed for a great apple pie?

To make a great apple pie, you will need: - 6-8 medium-sized apples, peeled and thinly sliced - 1/2 cup granulated sugar - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour - 1 tsp ground cinnamon - 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg - 1/4 tsp salt - 2 tbsp unsalted butter - 1 unbaked pie crust - 1 egg, beaten

Do I need to pre-cook the apples before baking the pie?

No, you do not need to pre-cook the apples. Simply toss the sliced apples with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl before placing them into the pie crust.

Can I use a store-bought pie crust for this apple pie recipe?

Yes, you can use a store-bought pie crust, but for the best results, we recommend using a homemade pie crust. You can find an easy recipe for pie crust on our website.

How long should I bake the apple pie?

Bake the apple pie at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.

Can I make this apple pie ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the apple pie ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. You can also freeze the unbaked pie for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake according to the recipe instructions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • cmdtrgd
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • esavvymom