• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What happened to the NC teacher killed in a head-on collision?

In summary, Aimee Powell, an elementary school teacher, was killed in a head-on collision early Thursday morning. Her cousin, a teacher in Taiwan, sent out this email after the accident. Comfort knowing she's on her way to the place prepared for her is comforting, yet painful for those she's left behind.
lockhartkitchen
Teacher killed in head-on collision
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:41 AM PST Updated: Jan 22, 2010 10:01 AM PST
Video Gallery
<1|2|3>
Teacher killed in Huntersville crash
0:31
Please keep this family in your prayers. My cousin, a teacher for years in Taiwan, watched this young girl grow up in Taiwan, where her parents are missionaries. My cousin just sent out this email. Comfort knowing she's on her way to the place prepared for her is comforting, yet painful for those she's left behind.

Elementary school teacher dies from crash injuries

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (WBTV) - An elementary teacher has died from injuries she sustained in a head-on crash in Huntersville early Thursday morning.

The accident occurred on Highway 73 near Brown Mill Road around 7 a.m.

Aimee Elisabeth Powell was traveling west on Highway 73 and Stephen Todd Richard, 19, was traveling in the opposite direction when their vehicles collided.

Powell, who taught at Southlake Christian Academy, suffered critical injuries and was transported to Carolinas Medical Center. Sources say she died Thursday night.

Powell was less than a quarter mile from the school when the accident happened.

Richard suffered serious injuries and was taken to Presbyterian Main in Charlotte. As of Friday morning, he was still hospitalized, but hospital staff would not release his condition.

Police said there were no passengers in either vehicle.

Witnesses told police both vehicles were traveling approximately 55 mph when Richard's Dodge truck crossed the centerline striking Powell's Pontiac Grand Am. Police said there is no indication that alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash, and it does not appear Richard was texting prior to the crash.

Powell was also active in Uptown Church located in Charlotte. Assistant pastor Dave Kulp said Powell grew up in Taiwan and her parents were missionaries. He told us her parents got on a flight from Taiwan late Thursday night and had a long trip ahead of them to Charlotte. Kulp said Powell will be missed.

"Aimee stands out as a beautiful person who loved the Lord, who loved kids," he said.

Kulp said friends and co-workers of Powell's are finding comfort in the fact that she was a Christian.

"The Good Shepherd knew her by name," Kulp said. "She knew his voice and now she's in a place with no more tears. She has eternal life and that's the most comforting thing."

Dr. C. Wayne Parker, Headmaster of Southlake Christian Academy, released a statement Friday morning concerning Powell's death.

"It is with heavy hearts that we gather this morning to begin to help our students and one another through the loss of our teacher and friend, Aimee Powell," said Parker. "We are assured that through the Lord's strength we can all come to the place that will honor Aimee by celebrating her life, her love of Jesus Christ, and her eternity with Him."

Powell graduated from Columbia International University in Columbia, SC, and she was hired by Southlake Christian Academy in 2007.

Parker said during the hiring process, Powell said: "I have had a love for children and teaching since I can remember. As a girl, I helped with summer Vacation Bible School and taught my Chinese friends English weekly. In high school, I was a teacher's aid in kindergarten, third and fifth grades. Most of my summers during college were spent tutoring Chinese students who struggled with English. It was at that time that I saw my love for teaching children increase. Each day was a new day to model Jesus for my students, and I saw it as a ministry."

So very sad. My heart goes out to them.

Praying for all who loved her.

1. What happened to the teacher involved in the car crash?

The teacher, whose name has not been released, tragically passed away as a result of injuries sustained in the car crash.

2. Was anyone else injured in the car crash?

There were no other reported injuries from the car crash.

3. Did the teacher have any students in the car at the time of the crash?

No, the teacher was the only person in the car at the time of the crash.

4. Was the teacher at fault for the car crash?

The cause of the car crash is still under investigation, so we cannot confirm whether or not the teacher was at fault.

5. How is the school community responding to the teacher's passing?

The school community is deeply saddened by the loss of the teacher and is coming together to support each other during this difficult time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
Replies
Views
merego
Replies
Views
straitfan