• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Navigating a Holiday Dilemma: Should We Treat Married Couples Differently?

In summary, the speaker is facing a dilemma regarding gift giving for Christmas. They have decided to give cash as part of the gifts, with single sons receiving $75 and married sons and their wives receiving $50 each. However, one of the married sons is going through a difficult divorce and the speaker is unsure of how to handle the situation with gift giving. The husband suggests giving the same amount to the married son and his wife as the other married son and his wife, but the speaker is considering giving the married son the same as the single sons and just giving the wife the same as the other DIL. The speaker is seeking opinions on what to do in this situation.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
Okay, I have a bit of a dilemma. We have Christmas at Thanksgiving since that's when my 4 oldest come here for a visit. I have gotten everyone gifts but decided since $$ are short for everyone that I would give part of their gift in cash. We decided that the single guys would get $75 and the married guys and their wives $50 each. The thought was that even though the married ones get less personally, they actually get more as a couple than if I just made the $75 to both of them. Clear as mud?

Here's the dilemma. One of my married sons is close to a nasty divorce - they are still in the same house but separate nonetheless. I have seen first hand after hearing for a long time that she is the cause. I won't go into details but he has told her (in front of me and others) that he wants it to work out but she won't even consider working on it and she keeps bringing up things that are obviously her delusions and everything he says is a lie.

She will not be here (couldn't get off work). My husband says he wants me to do what I had planned and give her the same as the other DIL after all she is still our daughter even if she is crazy. Now that I know so much more about their situation, I feel like I should give him the same as the single guys and just give her the gifts I have. I think he would be hurt and feel like we aren't understanding their situation. DH says that she would be hurt if she learned that I did it differently for the other son and DIL. His thought is that they are still married. We definitely want to keep her in our lives. We love her and are trying to get her help but she won't hear of it.

So what do you all think?

Should I give them the same or should I give him the same as the single guys and her the same as the other DIL?

As an pampered chef consultant, I think it's important to prioritize your relationship with your son and his well-being over trying to please everyone. It sounds like giving him the same amount as the single guys would be a thoughtful gesture and a way to show your support during a difficult time. Plus, it's understandable that you may not feel comfortable giving a large gift to someone who is causing harm to your son. Ultimately, it's up to you and your husband to decide what feels right for your family, but I would encourage you to prioritize your son's feelings in this situation.

1. How do we handle gifts for married couples who have different last names?

When giving gifts to married couples with different last names, it is recommended to address the gift to both individuals by using their first names. For example, "John and Sarah" instead of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith". This shows equal recognition for both individuals.

2. Is it necessary to spend the same amount on each person in a married couple?

It is not necessary to spend the same amount on each person in a married couple. It is more important to consider the relationship with each individual and their personal preferences. If one person in the couple is closer to you, it is okay to spend more on that person's gift.

3. Should we give separate gifts to each person in a married couple?

It is not necessary to give separate gifts to each person in a married couple. If you are unsure, it is always best to ask the couple if they prefer individual gifts or one gift for both of them. This shows consideration for their preferences.

4. How do we handle gift-giving for same-sex married couples?

When giving gifts to same-sex married couples, it is important to treat them the same as any other married couple. Use their preferred titles and address the gift to both individuals by using their first names. If you are unsure of their preferred titles, it is best to ask.

5. Is it appropriate to give a joint gift to a married couple?

It is absolutely appropriate to give a joint gift to a married couple. In fact, it can be a thoughtful and practical option. Consider giving a gift that both individuals can enjoy together, such as a cooking or baking set from Pampered Chef. This allows the couple to create memories together while using the gift.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • heat123