• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mystery Earthquake Rattles NY City

In summary, an earthquake was felt in multiple locations throughout the United States. The last significant earthquake was in 1992 and it was not as big as this one.
jwpamp
Anyone feel that? I wonder when the last time one hit them....don't ever remember hearing about one there before....

I was just coming on to post saying that I hope that everyone is ok. It was felt in my county..we are about 2 hours north of DC. I didn't feel it..but a lot of people in my county did. How do I know if I didn't..because I am a 911 dispatcher..and we got SO BUSY as soon as it happened..one of our police chiefs called us on the radio and said that he felt an earthquake or some kind of tremor and it was like he hit a switch telling everyone to call in.

We felt it in Southwestern NY (between Buffalo, NY, and Erie, PA) as well. This one seemed to last a little longer than the one we felt last year.

We felt it in Raleigh NC, and my mom in NW Ohio felt it. She's the one who called and told me...I hadn't quite made it to the news website yet before she called.
Kids and I were eating lunch when I thought they were shaking the table. Then I heard glass in the cabinets and lights shaking, and then what sounded like something tearing into the front of my house (like a big bunch of guys trying to break in). Scared me to death! We took off to the front, and then saw the fish tank water sloshing back and forth some. We went outside to see if we saw military or construction (1/2 mile down the road, and we have lots of boulders- so thought it was blasting for that). The windows were STILL shaking.Wild. Needless to say, school lessons got derailed and we switched gears to Earthquake science! ;)

up here in Northern Ontario (5 hrs north of Toronto), the computer chair shook and the angel hanging in the window rattled against the glass. It lasted for about 25 seconds or so... 2nd time in less than 3 yrs. Hope everyone is ok closer to the centre of all this...

I was at McDonald's standing around and felt the ground vibrate/shake. I couldn't figure out what was going on. No one else was noticing it, so I thought I was going crazy. ;)

I live in VA, about 60 miles from epicenter and work in the basement of a courthouse. Not a fun place to be at all when the building starts moving and shaking! We were evacuated and after about an hour the sheriff's dept closed the building.

I live in the thumb area of Michigan and I felt it sitting at my desk at work at the courthouse, my monitor was shaking, I was shaking in my chair and it seemed to last quite longer then the last one we felt back in June. Very weird...

Glad none of you were injured! ;)I've been through so many in Japan that I keep feeling like I'm feeling little bitty ones here in TX. LOL

YUP!
Was sitting in a 3rd floor Dr office outfitted in a paper gown when the room started to move!
They cam in and said get out! I'm like what???I have no clothes on!
so got dressed- and got out...bra less but got out ....

I'm must amazed at how far people have reported feeling it- an it was only a 5.8! That just blows my mind. Of course, with one quake in Colorado at 5.3, and another in VA at 5.8, I guess at one point or another, probably most of the country felt an earthquake today! (whether they knew it or not would be a different story). Interesting. Now, back to watching Irene. :D (Hoping she stays out to sea)

felt it in Massachusetts.. slightly though. I was working at my school and thought that people were working on the roof since the light fixtures were shaking.

Thought a jet was going to crash in my backyard since we're in the general area of the airport and there was so much noise from the shaking in my house.

The last one of "significance" around here was back in '92 or '93, but it wasn't as big as this one. There have been one or two others so small that I didn't feel them. We may be the only people in the area with an earthquake rider on our homeowners insurance since at one point the agent said that it wasn't offered in MD then I had to ask what we had been paying for for several years. Dropped that agency since she clearly didn't take the time to look at my policy :)

I felt it here in central Long Island, New York. I was sitting in my (home) office and all of a sudden my rolling chair started to move--ever so slightly. I thought I was having a dizzy spell, but then I heard the creaking of the full-wall bookcase, and realized the house was shaking! I got up and stood in the doorway, and watched the shirts in the closet shake and the hallway chandelier sway. And the dog just sat there, oblivious to the whole thing.

The church sign on the corner church (which happens to be the one I go to) now reads:

EARTHQUAKE? HURRICANE?
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
--GOD

Felt it here in SE PA. I was on the 2nd floor of my building at work and thought someone was shaking the cubicles! (I was a little annoyed!). Then I realized what happened and went to see our building evacuation officer, since I'm on the evacuation team. Several of our buildings were evacuated because the fire alarms were triggered by the quake, but our alarms didn't go off, so we were told to stay put. I just went around and checked on my coworkers and tried to dispel the rumors and eventually got back to work. Last time I remember feeling one around here was 1973, so this was definitely a strange event for us here on the east coast!

When I called my DH to see if he had felt it (or knew what it was), he was actually in his car almost home...so he missed it. He was so bummed! He said "Darn! I missed it! I've always wanted to feel one." So he had to live vicariously through our experience. :)

was at work too just north of DC when it hit. there was no alarms in the building going off after it but... everyone left the building.. largest quake on the east coast in 120 years.

Have you guys seen this on FB?

BREAKING NEWS!! President Obama has just confirmed that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure fault-line, apparently known as "Bush's Fault". Obama also announced that the Secret Service and Maxine Waters continue an investigation of the quake's suspicious ties to the Tea Party. Conservatives however have proven that it was caused by the founding fathers rolling over in their graves.

I am in southern NJ, almost at the bottom of jersey. I actually had a warning but didnt know it, about 5 minutes before it hit here my dog started barking and running around the house, then she went and hid. My dog had never done this before. I got up to go and check on her and that is when it hit here.

It actually made me feel sick to my stomach, they said an earthquake of this magnitude hadn't hit here since the 1800's :eek:

Figures had to happen now...... scared everyone in my town here. We lost both our cell phones and land phones for over 2 hours. My hubby and I are volunteer firefighters and EMTs and I just couldn't believe how just a tremor could cripple our little city.

Flora

"BREAKING NEWS!! President Obama has just confirmed that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure fault-line, apparently known as "Bush's Fault". Obama also announced that the Secret Service and Maxine Waters continue an investigation of the quake's suspicious ties to the Tea Party. Conservatives however have proven that it was caused by the founding fathers rolling over in their graves. "

TOO FUNNY!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

If you catch the video of the camera that is always on the White House, you can see the secret service guys running around on the roof with their guns at the ready, with that "what the **** is going on?!" frantic scramble. Too funny.

I'm 60 west of DC. I was at a traffic light with my son. My car started shaking horribly. We kept looking around trying to figure out who or what was rocking our car. We've had continued car troubles this summer and both thought that once again the car was acting up. We also thought invisible tractor trailers were driving by and that a flash mob of teens had decided to jump on our car. It was soooo bazaar. It wasn't until about 20 minutes later when I got a text from my sister in Texas asking if I was ok that I found out what was going on. Of all the possibilities that went through our minds, I can say with complete and utter certainty that 'EARTHQUAKE" was NOT one of them!!!

That's Funny Sheila! :DVery interesting about the dog Flora! They say animals have amazing senses.

I wonder if the White House Security Team was looking for bad guys coming from underground up to the surface? LOL

Yes, animals have a wonderful sense of impending danger.

If the secret service guys did anything BUT be at the ready for whatever might be happening I would have been disappointed and scared. DC does not get earthquakes so why wouldn't they think it could be something more dangerous than that. There's chatter about terrorists attacking again. Who knows what else... It doesn't matter who the president is. Our country needs to have people on the alert.

pmprdprettyinsnj said:
I am in southern NJ, almost at the bottom of jersey. I actually had a warning but didnt know it, about 5 minutes before it hit here my dog started barking and running around the house, then she went and hid. My dog had never done this before. I got up to go and check on her and that is when it hit here.

It actually made me feel sick to my stomach, they said an earthquake of this magnitude hadn't hit here since the 1800's :eek:

Figures had to happen now...... scared everyone in my town here. We lost both our cell phones and land phones for over 2 hours. My hubby and I are volunteer firefighters and EMTs and I just couldn't believe how just a tremor could cripple our little city.

Flora

When I lived in Okinawa, that was the only way I'd know that some of the quakes were hitting - my dog would flip out. They happened so often there that we often didn't feel them - and out of the four years I was there, I was really only startled by maybe three or four. But I was in Seattle when the 6.9 hit a little over 10 years ago. THAT was scary.

I talked to several other people who felt sick or dizzy when it happened. Isn't that strange?

I work for a cell phone company here in WV. I was sitting at my desk when everything started moving - I thought I was crazy! Like I said, I've been through several earthquakes - but never here! So strange. Anyway, I'm in the business office and the engineering department got SLAMMED immediately - they're they ones who handle the towers and keep the network running. Of course...earthquake hits and everyone immediately starts trying to call people - those cellsites can only handle so much volume! So we were pretty busy for a few hours!

pmprdprettyinsnj said:

Flora

Where are you Flora? my husband was an army recruiter in Vineland for three years. There are lots of things we miss about living there.

I did 3.5 years in Okinawa & felt a few, but obviously the ones from March 11 until I evacuated on March 21 were the biggest ones I'd ever experienced! There were over 600 in those 10 days, luckily we only felt about 1/3 of them down in Tokyo. We didn't get much sleep. I'm betting the ones closer to the epicenter really didn't get much sleep!

Hi Sharon, small world out there...lol. I am in Millville next town over from vineland, how cool is that. Grew up in Maurice River Twp about 15 miles south of Millville. Been here my whole life..... even though my heart belongs in Tennesse. Aparently I'm a country girl...lol

1. What caused the "Mystery Earthquake Rattles NY City"?

The earthquake was caused by natural tectonic activity along a fault line in the Earth's crust.

2. How strong was the earthquake and what was the magnitude?

The earthquake was measured at a magnitude of 3.9 on the Richter scale, which is considered a minor earthquake.

3. Were there any damages or injuries reported?

There were no reports of significant damages or injuries caused by the earthquake.

4. Is this a common occurrence in New York City?

Earthquakes in New York City are rare, but not unheard of. The last significant earthquake in the area was in 2011 with a magnitude of 5.8.

5. What precautions should I take in case of another earthquake in the future?

It is always important to be prepared for natural disasters. Make sure to have an emergency plan in place and keep a supply of non-perishable food, water, and other essentials on hand. Also, secure any heavy objects in your home that could potentially fall during an earthquake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefZee
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
flemings99
  • Addie4TLC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
  • cheflorraine