• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Update: Staying Stateside for Now

In summary, the government is out of money, so they've decided it's "safe" for everyone to return to Japan now. However, people are not convinced and are staying stateside. There is talk of concreteing in Fukushima, and because of this, the husband and wife are deciding not to bring their toddlers back to Japan just yet. They will be staying stateside for a minimum of 4-6 months, and then will reassess if the kids and they will go back to Japan. Pampered Chef has agreed to let the husband fly from Tokyo, even though his job is not cooperating. They have not yet canceled his ticket yet.
Sheila
Gold Member
Hey everyone, just wanted to update and let you all know what's going on with me ...

The government is out of money, so they've decided it's "safe" for everyone to return to Japan now. :rolleyes:

Hubby and I are not so convinced.

I've borrowed the bare essentials on furniture from friends, family and friends-of-friends/family and we are literally camping out in my vacant house (which luckily didn't currently have renters). I got cable & internet connected about 4 hours ago.

Hubby and I have decided that it's NOT in our best interest to bring the toddlers back to Japan just yet. I'll be staying stateside 4-6 months minimum, and then we'll reassess if the kids & I will be going back to Japan or staying longer. Rumor has it that the Japanese are planning to concrete in Fukushima like the Germans did with Chernobyl. I've heard that they are talking about doing that sometime in September. We'll see.

I do know that they said mushrooms & spinach were not safe from the Fukushima area, then they dumped all that radioactive water into the Pacific ... had fish 50 miles out testing positive for radiation ... now they are saying that the milk from the local cows is safe & letting the local farmers sell it! :eek:

Not judging anyone who stayed or has decided to return in the next few days ... but it's definitely not the right decision for our family for us to return at this time.

I'll be doing my business from Texas for the next few months & still planning to go to conference! ;)

Oh, Toronto ... Pampered Chef had (are you ready for this?) agreed to break the rules & let hubby still fly from Tokyo and my ticket get changed to Dallas/Fort Worth ... but hubby's job is not cooperating!!! :cry: I asked if I could change who was going & have 2 tickets from DFW & was told no, it was too late to change the names. We haven't canceled hubby's ticket yet ... hoping his command will change their mind & let him go at the last minute. But right now, it looks like I'll be making the trip to Toronto alone. :(

My prayers are with you... My Son is in the Air Force and just completed his flight training... Will be deployed soon and Japan was one of the possibilities. Guess we will see. Take care and know others are thinking of you and your family.

Okinawa, Japan is VERY safe! 1,400 miles away. So if that's a destination, he should volunteer for it! We absolutely LOVED it there! :D

I was just today wondering how things were going for you.

Glad to hear things are going as good as they could be for you! Hopefully they will let him go to Toronto! If not you'll be in good hands with everybody else there!

I was just thinking about you today. My area had several severe tornadoes this past weekend, and several areas are disasters (tornado passed 200-300 yrds from my house, but we were ok, minor house damage). But they are now having problems with looters in some of the hardest hit areas....all I could think of was how the Japanese didn't seem to have that issue after all of there trouble, and our lovely citizens are such losers to steal from their neighbors. Thankfully, the MAJORITY of people are helping their neighbors and fellow citizens...so at least that speaks something.I'm glad you are doing ok though! We know you'll make fantastic lemonade. :)

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I hope you get to enjoy Toronto with your DH, and I hope you are able to return to Japan later in the year, you can tell you love it there. You are making the best desicion for your family. I wish you luck.

Thanks everyone! And Bobbi, we had some tornadoes come through here last week! An outdoor patio chair at my friends house was thrown into the car that I'm borrowing from another friend! Now I'm having to pay to fix his car ... it just never ends!!!I bought a car, the guy lied about the condition. The A/C did not just need freon, it's going out. It needs CV boots. He hadn't changed the oil in who knows how long ... I had to pay to have the whole system flushed. Now the A/C has gone out in my house. LUCKILY, my wonderful sister held $1,700 catalog show as a fundraiser for me so I could have the host benefits & get some tools to do cooking shows here in Texas. Two of her customers bought me items off my wish list too! It was freaking amazing at how much stuff I'm getting to work here in Texas. So not everything has been bad, but man do I wish I had bought a car from a Japanese person living in America!!! LOL

Sheila,
if you need anything let me know I am in forney even if it's just to have lunch one day

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

Sheila said:
Okinawa, Japan is VERY safe! 1,400 miles away. So if that's a destination, he should volunteer for it! We absolutely LOVED it there! :D

Thanks Sheila! I will pass the word on!

wow your amazing and as we all pray for you to be reunited with your husband and no long lasting effects from the radiation; I have to tell you how inspired I am by your positive thinking, determination and strength!
you truly are fantastic!

Thanks everyone!Teresa, we should meet up! :D

Oh ... here's a photo of the kids in Tokyo just before boarding the plane last month:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197496_1904208410123_1389121744_3041025_7586085_n.jpg

Here's a photo a few days later in Texas:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205650_1973122772939_1389121744_3133303_1386242_n.jpg

I like the smiles on their faces in the TEXAS photo much more than the uncertainty of the radiation in Tokyo! ;)

WOW! Powerful images. You are truly an inspiration. I too wish you could have bought a car from an honest person. It is great what your sister did for you and all of the people that helped make it a success.

Holy Cow!! That image of your kids getting scanned sent goosebumps all over me.

I'm really hoping that PC can do something to help ease your pain of going solo. They are really good about helping out, especially since he's in the services. Even giving you a gift card as credit for him not going to the opening dinner, breakfast(s) or farewell event...if that's part of the packages. I used to be in catering - taking away one meal or adding a place is a common occurence. Some of those buy-ins are pricey. I'd just say that he's performing his sworn duty and his commander can't let him go during this dire situation. The world all thought when you asked for his ticket to be transferred that the radiation leak was under controll. It's bad enough that you won't see him for 4-6 months, but now, knowing that you have to pay taxes on this trip really hurts. You will be paying taxes for both of you taking this trip. That is for his unused flight, uneaten meals and any other unused perk that they surprise you all with in Toronto.

I think if you really try the company should be able to ease your pain of not going. Plus, PC sends thousands of consultants all over the world on trips each year. Are their travel planners really going to not help someone in the armed forces? You're going through a lot right now and every dime counts. It can't hurt to ask.

Good luck, Elaine

I have been thinking of you and your family, Sheila. Glad you are doing okay.

Sheila, you have beautiful children!! They look so happy in Texas, and I really hope you are able to have some wonderful memories during these "unexpected" months there!!

I hope to make it to Conference, and would love to meet you if I do! As others have said, you are really inspiring!!

Glad things are going pretty well for you, all things considered....

Thanks everyone! Elaine, all the warnings for us to bathe, wash all the clothes that we brought with us, wash down our suitcase, bathe the dog & wash her kennel upon arrival in the states was pretty scary in itself! Nothing has changed in Japan, but it's "safe" to return now. Um, not so convinced! :(

let's pick a time and place
if you want to come on a weekend my daughter (18) will be here and she would love to play with them
she asks about you frequently

Yeah... the news anchor just said that Japan has declared a 12 mile radius around the plant a "no-go zone" and the 80,000 residents within that area have 2 hours to get whatever they want and get out.

Teresa, can't do this weekend (Easter) or next weekend (Toronto). Do you want to try & do something on a weekday (not sure if you work?) or wait until May? Mother's Day is May 8th & I have a family retreat the weekend of the 14th.

:( That's sad, huh Noora?

Glad to know y'all are okay and making the best of the situation...it's a lot that you've had to go through in these short weeks!

1. Can I still purchase products from Pampered Chef if I am staying stateside for now?

Yes, absolutely! Our products are available for purchase online or through a Pampered Chef consultant. You can also host a virtual party to earn free and discounted products.

2. Are there any changes to the shipping and delivery process for stateside orders?

No, our shipping and delivery process remains the same for stateside orders. We offer standard and expedited shipping options, and your order will be delivered directly to your doorstep.

3. Will there be any delays in receiving my stateside order due to current circumstances?

At this time, we are not experiencing any significant delays in stateside orders. However, please note that shipping carriers may experience delays due to increased demand, so we recommend placing your order in advance to allow for any potential delays.

4. Can I still attend in-person Pampered Chef events while staying stateside?

As of now, all in-person Pampered Chef events have been canceled or postponed due to current circumstances. However, we offer a variety of virtual events and parties that you can attend from the comfort of your home.

5. Will there be any changes to customer service availability for stateside customers?

No, our customer service team is still available to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. You can reach us through phone, email, or live chat during our regular business hours.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies