• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Potential Recruit's Questions

In summary, a potential new recruit with 6 kids is concerned about being able to afford the starter kit for the business. The consultant suggested asking family members for help or hosting a party to cover the cost. It was also suggested for the recruit to have bookings lined up before signing up to ensure a quick return on the investment. The consultant also mentioned the risk of offering to pay for the kit for others.
emiscookin
I hope some of you remember me talking about my potential new recruit who has 6 kids and wants to get started with the business, but he's not sure if he will make enough to support a family. Their budget is VERY tight!

When I met with him he told me his (and his wife's) concern about not really having the money to purchase the starter kit. I asked him if he already had PC items in his home and he said No, therefore it would have been pointless to offer the mini- kit. The full kit is better anyway. Here were some of his questions and I think I know the answers, but I wanted to double check:

Can I pay a little each month for the starter kit? (I said I didn't think so)

Ok, then can I get the starter kit and they can just take the price out of my commission check? (I said, I'm not sure about that one. I will have to check)
Honestly though, I doubt it. I DID say to him that almost every new consultant makes the $155 back with their first paycheck so even if he has to fork over the money now, it won't be long until he gets it back. He seemed satisfied with that, but you could tell by the look on his face he was thinking..."We just don't have that money right now."

Poor guy. :( I don't really know what to do? If he's really serious in wanting to do this business then I have been thinking about telling him, "Hey, I will pick up the cost of your starter kit and you can pay me back a little each month." He's a nice guy, goes to my church, so I feel I can trust him.

He will be my first recruit if he signs on!! He would be a good consultant too because he told me that he would work VERY hard so he can make lots of money!

You are correct. He cannot pay a little each month, nor can he deduct it from his first check. It would be the $155 up front -plus tax I think? (Mine was $165..so it was tax or shipping or something...I forget). But you have a couple of options perhaps: (1) Does he have anyone he knows that would be willing to "invest" in his starter kit? He can then in turn either pay them back, OR a better investment for them might be to host one of his first parties. HE gets a great business start, and THEY will get free products! If someone invested say $50, then hosted a party that was $500 (average?)- they'll get $90 in FREE product, plus 2 half-price items, etc. (2) HE can host his own show to hopefully get up to the $40 kit credit, plus free product for his kit. He can maybe still combine the "investors" option if needed. But also, at his show (that you'll be doing)- hopefully he'll have great friends agree to host a show for him in his first 2 weeks! If he can get 4-6 shows in the first 2 weeks of his business (after getting his kit), then he'll have great commission to come in before his credit card bill even comes due! (assuming he has a credit card). (If he's got a credit card, and he does the shows, he'll have the money to pay it right away, plus he'll give a great boost to his biz with the free product/PC bucks he'll earn for supplies).(3) Someone else pays for it- be it you, or someone in his family- Put it on a credit card. But I'd make SURE he had those bookings ON THE CALENDAR first for those first 2-3 weeks, so you know and he knows that the commission will be coming in very soon.Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head or that I've heard on workshops. Good luck!

I wouldn't get in the habit of offering to pay for the kit for people. You never know if they're going to be a kitnapper, and then you're out the money. I know it's exciting to have a recruit, but that's just bad business practice. Encourage him to ask family members for it. Also, have him book his show dates before he signs up so he will see in concrete proof that he'll get his investment back right away.

leftymac said:
I wouldn't get in the habit of offering to pay for the kit for people. You never know if they're going to be a kitnapper, and then you're out the money. I know it's exciting to have a recruit, but that's just bad business practice. Encourage him to ask family members for it. Also, have him book his show dates before he signs up so he will see in concrete proof that he'll get his investment back right away.

Thanks for the ideas esavvymom! I never thought about him doing a show and getting the $40 kit credit! :p I agree with you leftymac, I don't want to get into that habit and it really isn't the best thing to do. I think he may be afraid to ask family for the money so maybe hosting a show of his own is the best thing to get a discount. Thanks!!!

What about the mini kit? It's only $80...

mountainmama74 said:
What about the mini kit? It's only $80...

As I said earlier the mini-kit is mostly offered to those who already have PC products in their kitchen (and he doesn't) and don't want to get duplicates buying the full kit. The full kit is better anyway, I think it has a little bit more materials.

I would tell him to borrow the money, have a yard sale, whatever it takes ... then make SURE he has 4 shows ON HIS CALENDAR before he signs up. That way he can be assured of getting it back with his first paycheck, plus the other strong starter incentives he shuld know about.

If he gets the mini kit, he will regret it.

I think the new kit is also for people who just cannot afford the $155 - even with a $40 discount. I would certainly offer that as an option. If he starts out strong, he can add on to his kit with PC $. Yes, the full kit is a much better 'deal', but the reality is some people who really NEED this business cannot do the full kit. With so many recipe resources for the mini-kit, I would not hesitate to offer it if cost is the driving factor.

I missed that part earlier. However, I would still offer it as an option. Yes, the full kit is definitely a better value, but if he truly can't afford it at this time, he may be able to come up with the $80 for the mini. And if he does well in his first 90 days, which I imagine he will if he wants to make a career out of it, there's no limit to the amount of PC$$$ he can earn, so he can get the other items for free!

Haha Patty and I posted at the same time!

One more thing - keep in mind that with those unlimited PC$$$ that he could earn, he can get TONS of stuff during his KE month at 40% off!!

I'd offer it!!

Suggest the mini kit and have him do a kick off show at his house. Put his wife as the host and use the free products that they earn to supplement and add to the mini kit. This way, he's getting the commission from the show and the products. Win Win all the way around.
Other ideas that I have heard is to borrow half from a couple of people ($10 here, $20 there). Tag sale, sell some things on ebay or craigslist...
The kick off as the host and consultant works out really well! I've done that several times.

Ya think so? You two have good points. Are there enough tools in the mini kit to demo a recipe with? I'll run it by him and see what he thinks. Thanks ladies! :)

emiscookin said:
Ya think so? You two have good points. Are there enough tools in the mini kit to demo a recipe with? I'll run it by him and see what he thinks. Thanks ladies! :)
Here are the Mini Kit recipe cards - a couple recipes that come with the kit.And I would think just about any of the pizza recipes could be made with the Mini Kit - and things like Jerk Chicken Nachos...Plus, if he signs now, and does $1250 in his first 30 days, he'll get $170 in Fall Products too!

Attachments

• mini_kit_recipe_cards.pdf
    391.5 KB · Views: 464
The Bar Pan is in the kit...Lots of options!!! I have recipes on my website for the "Day in the life of a Bar Pan...from Breakfast to Dessert"...Another good recipe is Strawberry Bruchetta...1 loaf French or Italian Bread, sliced
1/2 stick butter or marg. melted
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon
1 lb. strawberries
Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle (let him buy or borrow one from you)Brush the melted butter on the bread. Place on Bar Pan and bake approx 10-12 mins until golden brown. Remove from oven. Mix cream cheese, juice of 1/2 lemon, lemon zest, and sugar together in batter bowl until smooth. Spread on toasted bread. Sprinkle with Cinnamon Sprinkle. Chop strawberries with food chopper. Scoop on top of cream cheese mixture. YUM!!!!

Thanks Becky!

Also, if he got the mini kit and needed another product I am sure his great recruiter would let him borrow it, right?
I am in a small town and there are 3 of us that sell PC right here and my director is about 10 min up the road (and on the way to most of my shows). We all share products with each other as we need them.

lesliec said:
Also, if he got the mini kit and needed another product I am sure his great recruiter would let him borrow it, right?
I am in a small town and there are 3 of us that sell PC right here and my director is about 10 min up the road (and on the way to most of my shows). We all share products with each other as we need them.

I definitely would! ;)

That's cool!

What is "My Potential Recruit's Questions"?

"My Potential Recruit's Questions" is a comprehensive guide to help recruiters prepare for and answer common questions asked by potential recruits during the hiring process.

Why is it important to anticipate potential recruit's questions?

It is important to anticipate potential recruit's questions because it shows that you are prepared and knowledgeable about your company and the position. It also helps build trust and credibility with the candidate.

What are some common questions asked by potential recruits?

Some common questions asked by potential recruits include salary and benefits, company culture, job responsibilities, career advancement opportunities, and work-life balance.

How can "My Potential Recruit's Questions" help me as a recruiter?

"My Potential Recruit's Questions" provides a comprehensive list of common questions and their suggested answers, along with tips for effective communication and building rapport with potential recruits. It can help you feel more confident and prepared in your interactions with candidates.

Can "My Potential Recruit's Questions" be customized for my company?

Yes, "My Potential Recruit's Questions" can be customized for your company by incorporating specific information about your company culture, benefits, and job responsibilities. This will help make your answers more personalized and relevant to the candidate's needs and interests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Apollo28
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pcjenr
  • chefkugler
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
amy07
  • emiscookin