• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has anyone faced opposition from their spouse when starting with Pampered Chef?

I really enjoy it and it's something I really want to do. I'm not sure if he's just afraid I won't make any money or if he really doesn't feel that PC is a 'real' business venture. I tell him that PC really 'sells itself'. I know that is a cliche' but I really feel that's true. I also tell him that I have a lot of experience with the product and that I know how to sell it. I also let him know that I've been an excellent employee in the past and that I know how to work hard. I don't want to go against his wishes, but I'm really stuck. Has anyone else gone through this with
CarrieAnn
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie here and I haven't 'officially' signed my agreement with PC yet, still collecting info. My husband is opposed to me starting up with Pampered Chef. Have amy of you met opposition when starting up with PC? I really want to do this and my Director really feels I would be fantastic at this. He's afraid I won't 'make any money at it'. I don't think he really feels as though PC is a 'real' business venture. He says I'm not a sales person, but I tell him that PC really 'sells itself'. I know that is a cliche' but I really feel that's true. Has anyone else gone through this with a spose/family member? How did you make them understand? I really don't want to go against his wishes, but I'm really stuck. This is something I REALLY want to do. Thanks for listening.... :)

Carrie Waters
Hopeful Future Consultant ;)

I havent had this problem but have a co meeting with your recruiter or director so he can be there to ask any questions and see what they tell you, it might help change his mind if he did that.HTH

How about we all send your husband copies of our paychecks!!! Would that help. I know some of the girls on here have doozy of paycheck samples to send him. I think that would change his mind quick. However, one thing to think about. You do need his support especially if you have children. You don't want to start a show off with leaving your not so happy husband at home with the kids. It won't work.

My husband was wary of the whole thing, but both of us felt it was important for me to stay home with the kids. When I reached all my goals at the beginning he didn't say Congrats until my 3rd month paycheck, over $400 and I worked four nights and one surprise catalog show!!!! It makes a difference when they see you happy at what you do and get rewarded a lot more than most people.

Good luck to you!

I strongly encourage any prospective consultants and their spouses to read Doris Christopher's book "The Pampered Chef: The Story of One of America's Most Beloved Companies." If your husband doesn't feel it's a real business venture, have him read the book! It's a great read and it's an incredible story of how this company came to be, the strong business practices it employs and how down to earth our founder is. If he's familiar with the business world, he will have heard of Warren Buffet and he (2nd richest man in the country) saw the value in Pampered Chef and acquired the company which says a lot. The foreward from the book was written by Warren Buffet.

You or your husband will never know what this business can do for you and how it could change your life unless you give it a try! It's such a LOW start up fee that it's virtually risk free. And even if you try it and don't like it, you can keep the kit!! Can you share what other specific reservations he has?? I don't feel money will just fall into your lap if you become a consultant because it does take some leg work, but it's FUN!! And if it'll help you be a happier person because you'll have something for yourself, you'll have a nice break out of the house (if you're like me and need a break from the kids) or if you need a break from a FT job, you'll have the satisfaction of watching your business grow AND you'll have a great paycheck, then I say it's worth a try. You can earn tons of products and incentives totally free as well. Are you familiar with the Super STarter program? I'm assuming you are since yo'uve done some research on this. If you'd like more info, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer any questions because I know there are tons out there like you who never give this a chance because of an unsupportive spouse, but I really think it's worth a try!! By the way, my paycheck alone made our mortgage payment last month!! :) Feel free to email me if you'd like.

Hubby not happy eitherHi!

My hubby is not happy either that I went back into PC. I used to sell it before we were married, mostly for the discount and money to buy the product! I will admit that I have spent more to date than I've really made, but most of it is one time or rare investments - like business cards, extra catalogs, the "kit" to do tables at bazaar's, etc. I am determined to make this a real business and he knows it. For the most part, he watches the baby when I tell him to and he limits his complaints to the money I've spent. I just keep reminding him that this is important to me and that my ultimate goal is to be able to make the car payment on the new vehicle we need to buy next year.

It is hard not having his full support, but on the other hand, I just keep reminding myself that he will change his tune once I have a steady paycheck. By the way, whether he realizes it or not, it has been VERY good for HIM that I'm doing this. Because he was forced to care for our daughter in the evenings, they have a relationship now that I don't think they would have had otherwise. She is 10 1/2 months old and adores going to sleep on Daddy. He used to just hand her off to me, but now he looks forward to having their Special time in the evening together. He never did this before I started this business...

Good luck and don't let others control your dreams. If you do, you'll never truly be happy. Maybe remind him that you don't stop him from what he wants to do and he should give you a chance to do the same thing!

Mom's saying NO!Hi there.. I'm a newbie also, but I did have that same problem but with my mom! I recently graduated college, and I've had the blessing to have my parents support me emotionally as well as financially the entire time. So when I mentioned this to my mom and she didn't agree I was stunned! So I spent months research the business, and here I am today; waiting on my starter kit. My mom never fully agreed, but well I simply told her that it would be something good for me to do, and that I believe I'll enjoy it (which really settled my mind for myself)! Sometimes you have to look past what everyone else wants, and for once stand up and speak what you want for yourself. So I say, tell your husband this is something you want/need to make your life happier, and I'm sure he'll come around eventually. My mom is hosting my first party! :) Good luck!

Ok - I had to put in my 2 cents. My husband and I both work full time. He does electrial work on the side to pay for his fishing and hunting habit which means he is gone quiet a bit. Although our "full time job" money is together - his extra money was for his hobbies. I didn't even consult with him when I signed back up to sell PC. I had extra money, I just felt guilty because I was using it out of the community pot. My business is booming and he is having to rearrange his schedule to accomodate mine. I didn't give him a choice, just went out and made a success of it. He is happy for me and uses the PC product as much as me. He did ask me what I was doing with the $$ and I told him I was spending it on me!! I even got a house keeper out of the deal. Can't beat that.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

I highly reccomend consulting your husband. If you expect him to respect your business you should have him play a role in the decision making.

My two cents too!You do need to have some type of support from him. Even if it is "indifference". Give him everthing you have on PC. Get the book. And most importantly, DO NOT ARGUE with him. Talk to him. Make sure he understands that you really have no major expenses right out of the box. Make sure he understands that most of the first shows are going to be Time expenses and not monitary. Tell him you want a chance to at least earn one pay check. One $500 month is all it will take to pay for the kit. That's all.

Had to put my 2 cents in as well!

When I started the business my husband really didn't care either way. However, once my business got into swing...it was a different story. I had great success in the beginning of my business, I got my $15000 in my first two and half months. And earned all 6 months plus recruiting SS products and bonuses. I have now been in the business for 3 years and he fully supports me. After hours of discussions, we learned that he resented my success. I know that sounds silly, but he was worried if I became successful I wouldn't need him. Most men (I did say most) like to be needed by their significant other. I made him realize that I still need him just like before but I now contribute to our household as well.

I think the first turning point was when we were able to buy him a new truck because of my PC check...then it was a trip to San Diego...Then we could afford to buy a 4-wheeler that he had wanted forever! And this year it was Disney World and of course he is really excited to go to Vienna next year!

We still have issues about Conference time. He doesn't understand why I need to go to 2 Conferences a year. But I am slowly winning him over. One of our issues is that we have 2 small children, 3 years and 6 months. So it is hard to find baby sitters and such. But I just explain to him that this is an important part of my business. And I ask him would he rather I go back to my 9-5 accounting job or be gone for 5 days twice a year. Needless to say he always chooses the twice a year!

You need to take his feelings into consideration when you decide. If you don't it will be a battle that you might not have the strength to fight. This is designed to be a family friendly business...so you need your family's support.

Hope that helps!

I TOTALLY Shannon OverstreetI never asked my husband what his thoughts were. We both have full time careers, and we needed more money to help us through a hard time now. PC sounded like fun, and a good way to make money without someone else telling when I had to work!

I'm in my 3rd SS month now, and my husband loves the fact that I'm doing it. He enjoys the free products I am earning (especially since he's the one who cooks in the family). I could have walked away from it after my first month, but didn't. It's fun, you make money, and you earn free products - what more could you possibly want from a career.

My husband is excited over the free product too. He knows I love to cook and socialize, so this is the perfect outlet for me. Besides, he and my son are gone every weekend from Sept 1 through January 1. I even have to take a friend with me to the OU football games because they won't go with me. He can pick up the slack during the week when I am out at shows. It's good for him.

After seeing how well this is going - he asked me if it was something I could do full time. I am in SS3, have 2 recruites, 8 shows in November, 3 in December (I'm not booking too many) and 6 shows in January. You never know what will happen.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

Husbands.....Hi,

I am Mark Taylor, my Ex Wife is Shelley Taylor, She was an advanced Director with the Pampered Chef. She was involved from 1992 till 2000 when she quit to pursue other interests. When she came hom in Nov 92 and said she wanted to do this "cooking thing", I felt that it was a "fad" and it would pass. Well can I tell you that PC took us to DIsney twice, New Orleans twice, San Diego, San Antonio, Hawaii. I even two stepped with Jan Gilmore in San Antonio, (She is a Great Lady!) The Pampered Chef is a Great way of Life. My kids really enjoyed the trips that we probably would of never been able to take if it wasn't for the Pampered Chef. Tell Hubby to chill and enjoy the fact that you can have your own business, feed him tax free (trial stuff :) ) and meet and make great friends. After we divorced, I have signed up. amd having a great time and have a recruit to boot!

Mark,

What a great post! I chuckled while reading it and am so glad you signed up to be a Pampered Chef yourself!

My husband has been very supportive, so I am really lucky. He was even more supportive when he saw my first two checks: over $500 the first month and just under $500 the second... both with only two actual cooking shows! This month I am a bit slower, but I am giving it my best shot for Super Starter #3!

Anyway, I agree that this isn't something to argue about... it is something to discuss.

Love+
Rachel

I had the same problem with my husband. I told my husband about the Incentive Program this year and how you can get a gift card instead of a vacation and that the gift card could be used at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop. Now, he wants to help me. :D

Take the trips!Cabelas and Bass Pro are nice (use to work at Cabela's) but the people and service are much nicer on the Pampered CHef adventures..... :D

CarrieAnn said:
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie here and I haven't 'officially' signed my agreement with PC yet, still collecting info. My husband is opposed to me starting up with Pampered Chef. Have amy of you met opposition when starting up with PC? I really want to do this and my Director really feels I would be fantastic at this. He's afraid I won't 'make any money at it'. I don't think he really feels as though PC is a 'real' business venture. He says I'm not a sales person, but I tell him that PC really 'sells itself'. I know that is a cliche' but I really feel that's true. Has anyone else gone through this with a spose/family member? How did you make them understand? I really don't want to go against his wishes, but I'm really stuck. This is something I REALLY want to do. Thanks for listening.... :)

Carrie Waters
Hopeful Future Consultant ;)

Carrie,
My entire family has been pleasantly thrilled by how surprisingly easy and well I am doing. My husband is happy to see me (AND MY KIDS) shriek when the UPS guy delivers new tools for us. We are cooking together more ~ so much better when you can share this with your kids. I have never been so appreciated by a company(and I was in corporate American). Every month I earn more than the last.... tell him earning $100-250 each time you go out is a great compensation for something you are going to have FUN with! I enjoy my job. I am meeting nice people, learning lots of easy impressive recipes that others want to learn. He'll see. It's not much of a financial commitment to try this.

The worst that can happen is that you will have learned something new, filled your kitchen with new quality products and you will have earned your investment back and earned some money, :)

Try it, you will love this! I love it.

i didnt have the problem of no spousal support but i will agree that you need to have some kind of support from him. you cant have a happy marriage when he is holding resentment toward you. maybe you can tell him this is your way of contributing to the bills and extra's. thats what i had to do. i had always dreamed of having an awesome career and being good at it. then i got married , had kids, you know...life happened. he wanted a sahm i wanted a life outside the home. when this came by us we both agreed it was what we both wanted. also, if he is interested, take him to your shows with you. my whole family (5 of us) goes to the shows and we do them together. talk to your recruitor with him. all he has to do is see one good paycheck and he will be hooked too!! good luck

My husband wasn't supportive at all when I started PC over a year ago. To tell you the truth he is still not completely for it, but I think he is starting to accept it, because for one the checks are nice. He also sees that I'm much happier too, and he sees how excited I get about it. And even though I don't think I could get him to admit it, he loves the products. He gets lost when I have my products with me at a show!! ;)

He also did get a lot better when I sold both the 5 and 7 piece Executive cookware sets to one of my hosts last month. He was very excited for me and I love to get his support on that one.

What I tell him now is as long as he doesn't complain about PC I will build him his garage that he wants when I become director. He liked that idea! :D

My hubby was very wary when I first brought up the idea of selling PC. He was afraid that I wouldn't make any money, and that it would end up being a loss for us. I told him that if I only made enough to cover the start-up kit, it would be worth it! I also convinced him that I was going to buy all this stuff anyway, so we might as well get it at a discount. :D

As things happen, I have yet to turn a "profit" from my business, but that is my own doing. I spend all my money on more products! :p Hubby doesn't mind, though, not when I cook him delicious dinners on my stoneware.

Seriously, though, this keeps me from having to take a retail job in addition to my day office job.

I felt like my boyfriend kind of scoffed at the idea....until he saw the products in my Starter Kit. Now he gives a sales pitch to everyone in his family. We have seperate banking so the money opposition isn't the same as most married couples but it's good to have his support now.

My Husband is OpposedMy husband was a little leery at first too, but after her saw my first paycheque he was on board. Now he just asks me when my next show is. He really became supportive once he realized it was possible to earn the incentive trip for 1. I told him I would earn the trip for 1 no problem, it was his way (trip for 2) that I was working so hard for. I haven't heard anything negative from him since that conversation!

My husband is so supportive that sometimes it's scary! Ever since I have moved my business it has been difficult to build it back up. My husband and I had a talk in January about whether or not it was time to give up PC and go to work full time (I have been a SAHM for 3 years now, started PC when my twins were 6 weeks) again, he said he absolutely didn't want me to give up and for me to put everything I have into my business...he said that we can make it till September when he gets a raise and that I have to at least make a go of it until then (this is coming from a man who was strongly opposed to moms staying home before we had kids). I have put everything in and now things are finally looking up. I strongly believe that to be successful at this business one needs the support of the spouse, it only makes things easier and the home happier!

My Husband is Opposed..My husband was opposed as well, I started in September, within 2 months: My super starter month 2, I had a phenomenal paycheck!!! I brought in way more than I paid out in my 2nd month. I won all super-starter bonuses and one super-starter bonus plus, Your business will be what you put into it, It will not happen on its own, "NO EXCUSES" is our teams motto this year!! My husband still does not love it, however, never complains out-loud anymore, I make enough to pay our house payment, and this past month, our house payment and 2 utilities!! You can show a profit within your super starter months, I did nothing special but be consistent, 4-6 shows per month!! I also have pleasure of staying home with my girls, 4 and 15 months! Nothing, not even my husbands opposition, can replace that!! He will adjust, and, next year when I am taking my husband to California, thanks to PC, to visit his family, he will be very grateful and it will have been worth the rough road I started out on... keep your dreams alive, He will come around, some men just do not like change!!!!

Husband...I have been doing PC for a year now and my husband was not supportive in March 05 when I signed up and he is still not supportive in March 06...I have tried everything to persuade him that this is something that I really want to do...granted I am having a hard time getting this booming but I know if I stick to this it will all work out...He has issues with watching OUR daughter when I do shows etc. but I have learned to put his negetivity behind me and keep my head up about my career... :)

Monique
Independent Consultant
[email protected]

Husband issues..Hello all! I've been with Pc for 8 years and 3 years into my business I quit...3 months later, after loosing everything my dear husband is the one who told me to go back...Know this...My husband was leary in the beginning, but after deciding to go back and put all my efforts into my business it took off..
The book I would suggest to have him read is Jay Christopher's book Come to the Basement..It's short and it's JAM PACKED with supportive spouse testimonials..The need to see other "men's" perspective's on the business...

I feel for anyone who has an unsupportive spouse...Having support is crucial to a successful business..Good luck to all who have this challenge..Maybe make a joint Goal...Work toward something together...Small, good decisions are the key..Don't shoot for the top trip if you only do 4 shows a month.Shoot for something attainable.Go for something small..A certain amount you would like to make a month maybe, or enough to cover a credit card debt..Then when you earn it shoot for something a little bigger..Show him how much PC can do for you AND your families life.. ;) Just food for thought..

Unsupportive MIL and HusbandI'm in my first SS month. I had a phenominal first show (over $1000) and I'm off to a great start. My hubby wasn't so supportive at first, but he sees how excited I am and now he is starting to turn around. My problem is my MIL. I invited her to my first show (mom was the host). Not only did she not come, but when she called, she told my husband that she wouldn't buy anything either. It really hurt my feelings because I did not invite her to buy things, I invited her for moral support. I just saw her this weekend and she didn't even mention it, didn't even ask me how the show went.

Anyway, what my husband and I did was come to an agreement to let me try it for 6 months. If we decided that it was too much and that It wasn't working for our family that we would talk about our next course of action.

Tell your hubby, that if you have just 1 $500 show that it will cover your expenses for your kit. Tell him that it is something that you really want to do and to give you a chance to at least see if you like it. Remember, you will never know what it cam become if you don't try it. Also, tell him how you are doing. Tell him after every show, every order, how much you enjoyed it and how much commission you make. He'll come around. Good Luck!!!

too many times...My Hubby didnt agree either, but he had reason not to. In the past I had sold Stampin Up!, Mary Kay and Tupperware. With Stampin Up!, I never made any profit, and only got 1 real party, which I didnt sell much. My director already "owned" everybody in the smallish town. With MK, I dont really wear makeup, and found that many people like it, but are very picky about skin care products. I bought $600 of inventory and never got to hold a party (my hubby was MAD about that!). I still have products sitting my basement! With Tupperware, I got alot of things for me, and was able to hold 3 parties total. It just flopped! All of this has gone on since 2000.

So, I host yet another PC show (my 4th) and think, I love this stuff! My hubby said no, but I did it anyway... So far, in the week Ive had my kit, Ive emailed friends from all over the country and have talked to people here and have- get this- 9 catalog shows lined up in the next 3 mths, and 3 shows definately, and 3 maybes. I had my first show Sat night and had over $400 show. That is more money than all of my other ventures and parties combined! My hubby is now taking me seriously... and Im finding that if I focus on the 3 F's (Friends, Fun & Food), it all falls into place. No one feels pressured, and are more apt to approach me if Im focused on talking to her as if she was the only person in the room. I guess I just changed my view!

Anyway, Im really enjoying this! I hope I can keep this momentum. It also helps to have a great director!

Brenda :p

DhI look at it this way. If it makes you happy-DO IT! My husband doesn't say anything negative but I know he thinks it's all just Foo Foo. When I am going to have a open house, he says to me who's coming over "The Kitchen Hens or The Candle Hens" He has no idea what I make and it is my fun money. I get what I want in PC, get a little fun money, socialize, and I am shooting for the level one prize and when I earn it- It's all for me! And if I ever get enough points for a trip- LOL- That will be the most fun I will have teasing him and who will I take. PS the Profiterale puffs, I made yesterday are gone. He ate them all. Those were really good he said. LOL PC strikes again!

Been Through ItCarrie -

I've been relatively blessed with a supportive spouse. At one point, he even went to the shows with me. However, my director has a totally unsupportive spouse; he won't even help her carry her stuff to and from the car! I'm sure she'd be a great person to talk to. Here's her email - tell her Susan suggested you get in touch! Good luck!:)

[email protected]

4 MoniqueHi Everyone,
I can soooo relate to all of you. I have great support from my parents, & sister. But my hubby is convinced that it's a pyramid skeme....

He is little to No support! He complains about watching my 3 & 6 yr. old MAYBE 3 x a month....

I have decided I have no place for his negativity. I have had a great SS 1-3! I had a small dry spell about 2 months, but have just recouped w/ over 100 new leads from expo's! I have given up on everything I have started in my life... except my marrage & my kids...

So, I've decided that I am sticking w/ PC! I love the company, the products & getting out of the house a few time; on my schedule; and having fun doing it! Compared w/ the other "direct sales" companies; PC RULES!

So, for everyone here & out there who doesn't have any support or needs a kind of boost~ I (WE) ARE HERE FOR YOU!

Good luck! If you need to comizerate ~ email me. :rolleyes:

Different PerspectiveMy husband is a bery supportive person, however he is not completely on board with the idea that you can have it all with Pampered Chef. He is in agreement that in order to become financially independent you need to start your own business. However, his idea of starting your own business is the more traditional that involves practically killing yourself to get it started and functioning.

One of the things that I love about Pampered Chef is that for the price of a kit you have a business already in place for yourself. You have all of the advantages of working for yourself, setting your own schedule and deciding your own income but none of the responsibility of a traditional start up business. There is no need for inventory, office space, employees and all that comes with it like payroll, insurance and taxes. You can still build a team but not have to take financial responsibility for maintaining an office or making payroll. Pampered Chef provides all of the marketing and paperwork that we need for a very reasonable cost and there is no need to spend 12 hours a day every day trying to make it work! Also, people recognize the name of the company and they know that it is a quality product with a great reputation. We are truly in business for ourselves but not by ourselves.

I have talked about this with my husband many times and although he is not completely on board, I think that this has helped to give a bit more perspective on what it is I am trying to do and where I believe it can take me.

No Support from HubbyI had the same problem. My husband scowled when I had a show or when I had to close a show and was not home to cook for him.
I one point I put it to him that if it hadnt been for Pampered Chef, there would have been NO Christmas. That is when I got my Christmas money.
I also told him that I needed to make more money, and that if I went out and got a part time job, ( I already work FT) that I would be gone 3- 4 nights a week, this way I am only gone one night a week. I told him to have his choice! He too didnt think I would make any money, but now that he gets to try new receipes, he and my son are my guinea pigs, he is enjoying it.
Tell your husband how much this means to you, that you need this to go out and meet people and make new friends, as well as make extra money.
And that you really want his support and backing.

When I signed up with PC the first time, dh and I had some major issues. Our marriage was in a rocky place. He didn't want me out of the house while he babysat the kids. He was very sneaky in the way he would start an argument just as I was leaving to do a show. What a yucky situation to be in.

A couple years and lots of healing later, dh and I are doing much better and he is totally supportive now.

I hope things work out and I agree...don't argue with your husband. Gentleness wins over much better than harshness.

First, I must say that I have an incredibly supportive husband, thank God! And I just quit a very unheathly job that was causing me stress and migraines. I am now 100% in business for myself.

Can I just say that if your husband feels that he is "babysitting" his own children, that there is more to be addressed than just your going out to work one or two nights a week. If my husband ever called his parenting of our children "babysitting" I think I may just have to kick him.

Why is it that a mother stays home or is at home with her children, but a father "baby-sits"...?

I do not understand this.

Regardless, it is probably not advisable to enter any venture that might have a negative effect on your home life. Shalom Bayit...(peace in the home)...is the most important thing in my life.

jwpamp said:
Can I just say that if your husband feels that he is "babysitting" his own children, that there is more to be addressed than just your going out to work one or two nights a week. If my husband ever called his parenting of our children "babysitting" I think I may just have to kick him.

Janice - thanks for saying that - I was going to say the same thing - In fact I say it to people all the time when they ask me if my husband minds "babysitting" while I am doing a show. I just politely reply "Oh he isn't babysitting - he's being a daddy" :)

Becky Deemter
[email protected]
/cookinwithbecky

Me Too!!!!Okay, we just got married in June, 2nd marriage, we've been together for 6 years, known each other all our lives....I have a 16 year old son from my 1st mistake, I mean marriage....:p

I am a realtor and last year made really great money:D But this year, I had made a company change, it is slower, and the market is getting really slow here, so we are on his income only, which isn't shabby...BUT he has this hobby of snowmobiling during the winter, now his job affords him the schedule to be gone about 4 days a week and off he goes, 5 hours away with his buddy.....BUT he barks at me to save money on the GROCERIES....:eek: Yeah okay so we don't eat so he can go snowmobiling....:rolleyes: NOT....

So when I came home after signing up for PC, I was sooooo excited....and I had done this to network for my real estate as well as start a new career....he was FURIOUS.....AND oh yes, I have spent MUCH more than I should have at this point in "start up";) costs....and there was silence for about 3 days, and I got my starter kit....we went up north for feb. vacation, snowmobiling and skiing and I brought up the whole starter kit and cookbooks....we usually go out to eat, breakfast, lunch and dinner when we're up there....well, not this time, I made some GREAT treats and dinners and breakfast every day for them.....since we've been home and I received 4 more shipments of goodies, which he has NO idea about....:eek: They have been LOVING dinner time....even my 16 year old is home for dinner....LOL....

So sometimes ya just gotta do what is right for you and hey, they WILL get over it.....AND it's a tax write off....:D

If this is what you would like to do, and trust me, my hubby and I don't communicate as much as I'd like us to and it is a problem area, and they will get over it...eventually.....but yeah, if you have to do a show and he is cranky when you leave THAT stinks and again, trust me, when I'm going out on Real Estate business OR PC business, there is always SOMETHING that he is pissed at or him and the teen are fighting about something and for a long time I use to be off my game because of it....now? :D I don't let it bother me.....I get in my car and turn on my favorite country CD, sing my brains out until it all disappears and it's just me again.....:eek:

So....don't feel alone, I think we have all been there....but here we are....;)

Good luck and WELCOME...you'll LOVE this board...there is another one out there, but it is not 1/4 as good as this place.....lots of good advice, support and really cool people.....

Kelley

I hear you Kelley- My Hubby (2nd) fishes non stop and has no problem spending money doing his extra curricular activity- Once in a while he will say how much money I spend on groceries or ETC. All I do is ask how much he spent in gas$$$ to get to his fishing hole this week. Shuts him up. Like I said before- If it makes you happy DO IT. They do!

I think the best and simplest logic you can share with your husband is this:
You will never know if you don't try. For the small investment and your excitement to give it a shot, it's worth it! If it doesn't work out the way either of you want it too, you do your 4 shows and stop. Let him know that you have that trial period to make sure it will work for both of you. Worst case scenario is you walk away with a lot of free product and a few paychecks. Best case scenario, you have a new business, supplemental income and love your job.

Oh, btw, the first time I was referred to as a "sales person" more than 6 months into the business, I was actually shocked. LOL I just don't think of myself that way b/c it does sell itself. You can also share with your husband that my husband and I actually work the business together. We do the shows as a team and it works out great. We BOTH love it!

My boyfriend would never come right out and say he thinks I have a bad idea or can't do something, but he did have a rather tepid reaction to me starting with Pampered Chef. It's possible he was afraid of me getting disappointed because I have rather high hopes. :) He is pretty wonderful.

In any case, while I have yet to do my first real cooking show, we did have an open house yesterday for my birthday, our housewarming and a little to kick off my business and I just sort of demonstrated all day long as people came and went. Well, my sales weren't huge but it did qualify as a show and I gave his grandma the host benefits. Afterward, he told me he was really impressed by me. I think he realized then that I'm better suited for this than maybe my personality (a tad sarcastic/skeptical) would indicate.

The point of all this is that maybe those of you who have unsupportive SOs should show off your skills and that may ease some of their skepticism.

But really, when it comes down to it, if PC is something that makes you happy, he/she should support you whether you're making hundreds of dollars, $20 a month, or even losing a little money.

I have to admit I never even asked my DH about joining PC. I am one of the lucky ones concerning that. But I do have to admit if I'm not using my product he is. I started this 7 months ago, and he didnt say it then but he thought I wouldnt do too well. My highest show has only been $539 but he see how much I enjoy doing the shows. He has turned around big time and even asked if he coould sighn up under me. Alas, no he cant!! lol

Recruiting Dilemna for same reasonShe says her husband thinks its a scam. I called my director b/c I'm in my first SS month. So I wanted her input on what to say. She told me to ask her to come out and meet us. My recruit says shes far away to meet us but wants to talk to her DH tonight. I emailed her at home (Never spoke to this girl but thru email) and I sent her things like how much the kit costs, how she can get it for less.. how much the products are really worth, what kind of company we are.. asked if he'd prefer to see my or my directors paycheck. I think I did a good job.

I think she'd really like this job alot. She made fun of me for being so excited and here I really didnt even have to ask her to join, she asked me! So lets cross our fingers that those husbands out there that are skeptical realize that this business is great! :D

Tina

I'm thinking of becoming a PC consultant (in addition to my full time office job) but I'm in the same boat as many of these ladies. My husband is wary of the whole thing and thinks we will get audited. He also heard from someone that if we ever sell our house in the future, we'll get taxed for capital gains? I'm not a tax wiz so I'm lost about that. However, I'm taking my time and doing research.

Pampered Lady said:
He has issues with watching OUR daughter when I do shows etc. but I have learned to put his negetivity behind me and keep my head up about my career... :)

Monique
Independent Consultant
[email protected]

I have been doing PC for 5 years now and I have to say I don't think my hubby has ever been excited about my business. But I can also say I have never treated it as a business until this year - it was more a 'hobby.' We have two children and when I was pregnant with OUR second the company I worked for FT dissolved 5 months into my pregnancy - I haven't worked a FT job since - HIS idea! I now work out of the home PT (in addition to PC a couple of shows a month) to help ends meet, and he knows that I need 'MY TIME' away after being home with the 2 year old all day! I know he is still not thrilled about PC - unfortunately it doesn't help that I have way too much accumulated 'extra' product in my basement that he looks at and rolls his eyes. This year I am trying to promote PC more and get out of my 'hobby' comfort zone and make it a real business - then maybe I can quit the other PT job and focus on PC!!!

Good Luck,
Leea:cool:

I too have opositionWhen I started this business, my partner of 14 years almost had a corinary. Only because he knew of my track record. I told him this would be different. Well, it was the same for a while then business kept getting better and better. After 3 years of hobbiest, I decided to really give it a go. Well, I hit $30,000 in sales in 2005. I got the two day hotel voucher in January. Now he seemed a little more excited. And when I got sick in December and was off my feet for almost 4 months, I was released by my doctors on April 7 to start doing shows but didn't do one "real" one until May, he finally admitted to me that he realised that I had actually been contributing to the bills each month and so on an so forth. When the money wasn't there, he knew it!
It took some major time but I finally think he realises that it is no joke of a part time job. Once they see the proof, it makes a BIG difference.

My husband was thrilled because he saw how excited I was. The money helps, too. This was actually the first year we got a tax refund. We always owed.

I would suggest a timeframe to give it a try and then decide.

John, I hope it wasn't anything too serious! I just look too forward to your posts!

My husband dreaded me starting. He just knew that this was going to be a money losing proposition for him. Then I came home from my first show with $750 in commisionable sales. I told him I had already paid for my starter kit with money to spare.

Now that I've earned a SS bonus he is more excited. He now sees this as a money saving venture and a money making venture. I've made $400 and I'm still in SS1 and I've earned $200 in free products.

Sometimes our husbands just want to try and save us from getting our hopes up and then having them dashed.

Julie

My husband was actually the one that talked me into doing this !!!! I could not decide, and he sort of pushed me into it. I am so glad that he did.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alicia Denman
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
texaschef1
  • CassieMarie
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ihavethetools