• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My First County Fair: Tips, Tricks, and Excitement from a New PC Consultant!

In summary, Becky is preparing to exhibit at her first county fair with the help of the community forum. She is bringing catalogs, flyers, and a calculator in case of orders, but is also prepared to generate conversation with passersby. Her newsletter includes recipes and specials, but additionally allows members to leave feedback or sign up for future newsletters.
mypamperedmoocow
I just got a call from a wonderful lady who has been doing PC for 13 years...she is a director (adv. director?) in my area and has been kind enough to let me join in on things with her cluster, so this is my first thing with them. I'm SOOOO excited! I do my first shift (all by myself!) on Thursday evening and then I split another shift on Saturday with another girl from her cluster. My mind is just going a million miles a second trying to think of what to bring to the fair with me. I know I don't have to bring any products because that has already been taken care of by the director, so all I have to bring are the "other" things to help get my name out there. Any suggestions? tips? advice? words of encouragement? LOL!

I'm so glad to have found this forum to come to for my questions and concerns! Thanks everyone in advance!

I've done lots of county fairs, so here's my 2 cents! Just bring old catalogs to hand out of people want them. I don't know how many you have, but definitely don't hand out any new ones. Have a mailing list that people can fill out if they want the new one. Maybe that cluster also does a bulk mailing like ours and it makes sending out catalogs so cheap! Basically the same cost as a letter. Our directors go in on getting a bulk mail permit, then we pay per catalog we send (plus the envelope cost). My mailing list includes columns to check if they're interested in hosting, a fundraiser, the oppty, etc. I have people tell me their info and I write it down, not only so I can read handwriting, but also because I can specifically ask for their phone number and email address. I tell them i do a monthly email newsletter and I don't share the address with anyone else. I find if I let them fill it out, they leave that blank. If you do send them a catalog, you MUST follow up by phone afterwards. Otherwise it's really just wasted $$.

Definitely have some sort of flyer that you can hand out, with a free recipe on it. The way you can generate conversations with people who pass by your booth or stop to browse the products is "Would you like a free recipe from The Pampered Chef?" Then you can ask if they're familiar with PC, have they been to a show, etc. Maybe it'll lead to asking them to host their own. I've never gotten many orders at fairs, but be prepared if you do. Bring a calculator, some sales receipts, a clipboard. If you get enough orders to submit as a show, that's great. If not, maybe you can add a straggling order onto to another show you have coming up. I always have some recruiting packets on hand too because there are always people who might be curious.

Good luck with everything! It's a GREAT way to get some leads. And don't worry if you don't get any bookings on your calendar yet. You never know what those leads might turn into. One time I had a catalog show host who didn't host until a year after I got her name and she had an $800 catalog show!!! If I think of anything else, I'll post again. Just have fun and be enthusiastic and that'll be contagious!

thanks for the advice!Becky~thanks for the great advice! I'm going to go back and read your post again and get all of the info you provided in my head so that I'm ready for Thursday and Saturday evenings. I plan on running my printer dry with flyers/recipes page to hand out at the fair. After two flopped shows, I'm SOOOO ready for a turn around...I'm just hoping to get a few names of "for sure" shows--I don't care if they are fundraisers, kitchen shows, or catalog shows...I just want a really great show, you know?

What do you put in your newsletters? Recipes? Specials? Tips?

Thanks again!

One of the directors we group up with for cluster meetings did this whole flyer, so I can't take credit for it. I'll try to attach it, but I was having problems earlier. Having recipes is great on there. There's no real specific info for specials incase you have lots of flyers left over and still want to use them in the future. Then you can do something of your own to copy on the back. Personally, I did info having to do with recruiting, but you could put the specials or idea for theme shows. Follow up with the people is key. I hope it attaches.....

RecipesI like handing out old celebration recipe cards are fairs. It is a good way to bring those people who do not want to stop and chat into the booth. Almost everyone wants a recipe. I do have old catalogs for those interested in a catalog, or sometimes just have those people fill out the survey form and then mail the catalog.

I have a drawing slip (there you are having a raffle/drawing) with places for name, address, phone numbers,email best time to call, 2 questions Interested in hosting a show? if so, when and appetizer, FF meal, dessert and interested in learning more about the opportunity. Then interested in PC Bride, Fundraiser or Theme show. ALWAYS have yes no and maybe options. The form is attached in PC Files. I always print mine of bright colored paper, and stamp my info on the back, then there is no problems when determining whose leads are whose at the end of the shift, if you co-mingle them in a batter bowl, or other product.

Finally, I always bring my calendar, a couple of host packets for the current month and one month out. I also bring outside order forms. At almost every festival I have done, someone wants to order the food chopper or veggie peeler or something. Don't forget to bring the direct shipping chart. This way, you make the sale right then and there and collect the $$ then just add it to a current show - helps you, helps the host.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank You!Thanks Becky and Shari!

I am getting so excited for this fair! So much to do and I have to be ready to walk out the door by 5 PM tomorrow evening! I feel like I want to bring everything with me, but I know I can't--LOL! Trying to keep catalogs and other bulky things to a minimum. How many catalogs would be a good number to take along? Only the old ones, or a couple of new ones, too? I like the idea of having my survey slips printed on colored paper (I really need to go and have a stamp with my info on it made). Order forms for possible orders--do you take the triplicate ones, or the outside order forms off of the PC website? Do you write everything on the forms, or do you have the customer write it? I would be concerned about the misunderstanding of the shipping charges if the customer writes it out...

I would take the triplicate ones because I think giving a receipt right then and there to someone will make them feel more secure that they've just handed over some money to you. I'm not as concerned about that at a show because a guest could always track us down through the host if needed. Don't be surprised if you don't get any orders. But do definitely tell them that you can take orders and that they get a free cookbook with a $50 order!

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Survey FormsDoes anyone have a template of the survey forms you use at county fairs? I'm trying to make one up and just can't seem to "get it together". I just need some ideas on what to put on them and how to word it without sounding like those annoying survey takers out on the street. Thanks!

Order FormsI use the outside order forms generally. But do keep the triplicate forms from home office for just this purpose & the direct shipping information in on the back! At shows I have not had any problems with customers not having a receipt, but when you are talking to complete strangers at a fair/festival, I am just more comfortable giving them a receipt. I would let the customer fill out their personal info and then I complete.

Let us know how it goes!

I woulddefinatly use the old catalogs to give away , i keep one or two copys of the new one on the table for ordering purposes and write TABLE Copy on it ! You will go through a lot of catalogs , i always do, so get rid of the old ones !! I also put out the old oppertunity flyers ect, definatly bring some info on the PC oppertunity !! ya just never know !! Good luck !! Be sure to let us know how it goes !! :)

just an updateWell, Thursday night wasn't too bad...it was kind of slow in the beginning, but I think it was because it was dinner time for most and so they were eating. It picked up about an hour later and then dropped off again. Had another good pick up about an hour or so before the fair closed for the night, so not too bad considering it was the late shift of the day (6:30 pm to 10:30 pm). I go back again tonight and hopefully there will be more people since it's Saturday and the last day of the fair is tomorrow. I'll be sharing the booth with another consultant today, so obviously the number of people will probably be less than Thursday, but still...I'm willing to take what I can get just to get my name out there.

Did the fair, now what?Well, yesterday went really well! I have one person who filled out their slip with a DEFINITE YES to hosting a kitchen show and a very high interest in becoming a consultant...I have to wait for the fair to end tonight, so I can't call anyone just yet, but I was so excited to see that on my slips last night. I had one girl who seemed very interested in hosting a show, but she filled out the other girl's slip (other people were filling out mine), so I lost that one to her. :( But, I'm hopeful because the person took one of my catalogs and my business card. I really enjoyed doing the fair, so I'm more interested in doing them in the future for sure!

1. What is "My First County Fair"?

"My First County Fair" is a guidebook specifically designed for new Pampered Chef consultants who are attending their first county fair. It contains helpful tips, tricks, and advice to make the experience a success.

2. What can I expect to learn from this guidebook?

This guidebook covers everything from setting up your booth to engaging with customers and handling sales at the county fair. It also includes advice on how to make the most out of the event and build your customer base.

3. Is this guidebook only for new consultants?

While it is primarily geared towards new consultants, "My First County Fair" can also be a helpful resource for seasoned consultants who are looking to improve their county fair sales techniques.

4. Are there any specific Pampered Chef products or tools recommended for county fairs?

Yes, the guidebook includes recommendations for popular and effective Pampered Chef products to have at your county fair booth, such as the Quick Slice or Mix 'N Chop.

5. How can I get a copy of "My First County Fair"?

You can purchase a copy of "My First County Fair" through the Pampered Chef website or through your consultant's personal website. It is also available in digital format for easy access on your phone or tablet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dme.grant
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • chefjeanine
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies