• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the Perfect Surprise for a Bridal Shower?

A
AFwife
I have a PC Bridal Shower show tomorrow and made this to surprise bride with:

I hope she likes it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/AFwife_24/Barbiecake008.jpg

It looks fabulous!! What a great idea to use fondant (sp?) instead of regular frosting!

Thanks!

It was just easier to use then frosting.

Rolling the darn thing gave me muscles, I swear. hahaha

BTW...you spelled Fondant correctly. ;)

Oh my GOSH!!! It's gorgeous! I am simply blown away, and I'm sure your Bride will be, too.

That looks AWESOME~~~!!!

Ha ha!! I guess I could have looked on the box in the background and gotten the spelling from there!

THat is gorgeous! I love the look of the fondant~very pretty! WAs that hard to work with?

That is great!!! I love the white fondant for the dress, I never would have though to use that! Did you ice the cake w/ buttercream underneath?

That is so pretty! I love the fondant! It makes it look professionally done! Great job!

Absolutely beautiful!

I love seeing peoples picture and seeing people PC stuff. I see the SA bowl..LMAO

That is absolutely amazing!! I LOVE IT!

GREAT JOB!!! Woah that barbies hair & lipstick is BRIGHT LOL!!

Gorgeous! I love that you have it on the large SA square (platter). Fantastic job! Love the idea of the fondant...never worked with that before...is it difficult to use?

Great job...how gorgeous is that?! I have 1 question though.. (please don't laugh at my ignorance) the clothing and veil...there do you find ones that cover just the torso? Do you buy the whole Barbie dress and modify it (all the Barbie pick dolls I have seen are not clothed) Thanks Valky

WOW thanks you guys. :)

Ok to answer questions...

Lacychef...no it wasn't hard to work with the fondant. However, if you roll out the fondant and then roll into a ball again to start over, then yes it gets a bit hard to roll flat, hence the I got muscles now comment I made. haha

Mom2leelee...yes I put buttercream underneath. It helps to hold the fondant on the cake better. :)

Jilleysue...YES hahaha I put her on the SA platter. Below is a picture of her finished. I had dh buy me some pink roses to add around her to make her look like she's walking on the flowers the flower girl threw down. :)

Yummy4tummy....I took her legs off and cut her dress up to her butt. I used a rubber band to keep the upper part of her dress tight around her waist and the fluffly piece around her waist was actually the bottom of her dress which I then pulled over her butt where I rubberbanded it to make it look that way.

I could have used fondant and formed it around her chest to make it look like the top of her dress but I was having too much fun creating with the dress she came with. :)

She was too tall for the cake so I had to snap her legs off.

Thanks again for the compliments.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/AFwife_24/Barbiecake011.jpg

LOVE IT STILL. ;) BTW- How do you make the fondant?

You can buy the fondant already made. You just have to roll it out flatter than it comes. If you are going to ice a cake w/ fondant I always recommend icing w/ buttercream icing underneath because fondant just doesn't taste that great but looks BEAUTIFUL!! That way guests can just peel the fondant off before eating.

Right! You can buy the fondant already made.

BTW, this fondant had only a little frosting underneath it and everyone loved how the fondant tasted. It really was yummy! :)

Oh, forfot to mention, I just got back about 30 minutes ago and the Bride LOVED the cake. WOO HOO!

AFwife said:
Right! You can buy the fondant already made.

BTW, this fondant had only a little frosting underneath it and everyone loved how the fondant tasted. It really was yummy! :)

I've never used that brand, it's Wilton right? I will have to try it if people liked how it tasted. Of course I have only used colored fondant so the coloring might be what makes it taste funny?

Yes it's was Wiltons. :)

You can knead a flavoring/extract into the fondant to help with the taste. I personally do not like the texture of fondat, but the thinner you roll it the better it is to eat. IMHO!

It does look awesome though! I made a ladybug cake for my niece last year and covered the lady bug with red fondant. It looked awesome but I put it on a 9x13 sheet cake that had buttercreme frosting and the kids just ate the sheet cake.

Nice, it looks very Ace of Cakes. I love that show!

Wow!I had to look twice to see that it really was a cake! You did such a good job with the ruffles of the "skirt" that it looks almost like a real dress. Beautiful! Although, I have to admit that after I listened to everything you had to do to the Barbie (cutting up her dress, snapping off her legs, etc.), I almost feel a little sorry for the doll..... ;)

That is amazing!! It looks wonderful, what bride wouldn't like that!!

Holy Cow! Beautiful job! Okay, I think we're curious, how long did it take you to make it? I'm sure you played around with it alot as well!

Again, Great Job! I think we all hope we can all do a cake as great as you for the first time!:D

Thanks ladies.

haha I felt sorry for the doll too. But she has her legs back on now. :)

How long did it take? Well, counting making the two cakes, putting them together, rolling the fondant and putting it on, and finally putting doll in, about 3 hours.

Rolling the fondant took about 30 minutes. It had to be big enough around to fall over the cake and cover it. I didn't have to play with very much actually.

Ruffles kinda formed themselves. Fondant was rolled out so long that the extra I just folded a bit to form that front ruffle. :)The other pleats were formed by putting strips of left over fondant on the cake first so when I put the bit round fondant on top that I had rolled, the strips would force the fondant to pleat. Know what I mean?

o-kay I was wondering if you have cake decorating experience?? And if you don't is this something that just anyone can do? honestly!!
I love it! I have a bridal fair this month and I was kind of think that maybe just maybe I could make one of these for display and maybe I could say if they booked a bridal shower I could supply the cake. that is if someone who is NOT a trained proffesional can do it with out a hitch.

Thank You
Heather

P.S. the cake is beautiful!! And it is totally "Ace of Cakes" I love that show to!!

So beautiful! Our wedding cake was covered with rolled white chocolate icing instead of fondant - I am not sure how you make it, but it was the best tasting fondant ever! (even though I kept putting my cake down and losing it...)

I had a hostess make a barbie cake for a little girl whose mom was coming to the show - she kept the legs, extra clothing, etc in the barbie box, so the mom could fix her back up and the little girl could have her as a present...it seemed like a good idea to me!

Laurel

Morvin said:
o-kay I was wondering if you have cake decorating experience?? And if you don't is this something that just anyone can do? honestly!!
I love it! I have a bridal fair this month and I was kind of think that maybe just maybe I could make one of these for display and maybe I could say if they booked a bridal shower I could supply the cake. that is if someone who is NOT a trained proffesional can do it with out a hitch.

Thank You
Heather

P.S. the cake is beautiful!! And it is totally "Ace of Cakes" I love that show to!!

Thanks!

I have no cake decorating experience what so ever. This was my first attempt at something like this, I did some research to see how working with fondant works and then gave it a go.

I think anybody can do this, it was real easy.

I love it. I have a bridal shower next month and I think I might do this. I was going to bring a doll cake undecorated except for the actual doll and let the guests decorate it. But now I'm thinking I will maybe do one cake for them to decorate and another already done as a gift, like you said. Yours just turned out so beautiful. Although I've decorated alot of cakes, I've never used fondant (because of concern for taste) but this will give me an excuse to do one. Now I can't wait.

Thanks so much for posting.

Charlie

That really is beautiful! I can't wait to try it for my sister's shower! I have made a few barbie cakes before, but the icing just doesn't turn out beautiful...the fondant, however...OOH LA LA!

That cake is amazing... Was transporting it easy? I have two bridal showers this month and would love to make that cake. I noticed that you said that you used two cakes. How did you use two cakes? I thought it was just one of the classic batter bowl?

I DID IT!!!! you were such an inspiration!! I was very scared!! but I did it I had a booth at a bridal fair and I made it for display and let me tell you it was an attention getting!! It looked Great!! I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures but next time i will for sure. The rolled fondant is the greatest! I am already planning my kids cakes I always buy some silly cake for their birthdays and they aren't cheep. well this year I am doing it myself. I love the rolled fondant. Thank you for being such an inspiration!!
Heather

I am new and I have seen so many of these on here (in the pic section) and how do you do that. Do you make them in the classic batter bowl. If anyone has a recipe I would love to try one!!

Cori,

It's just a regular cake mix baked in the classic batter bowl (directions come with the bowl or you can look them up in the use and care online). If you want to make the cake a little taller so you don't need to cut off the doll's feet, make 2 and use about 2" of one as a "base" below the other. Cut a hole down the center with The Corer, and just push Barbie's legs in the hole. You can also get doll picks from the cake dec aisle at a craft store that are the top half of the doll with no legs, just a spike to push into the cake. Decorate as desired.

They make great Princess cakes for little girls' birthday parties.

I have a little neice and she is so into the princesses. How cool would I be if I made her that for her bday. She would love me forever.

You can use the small batter bowl, a Jiffy-size mix (9 oz., or just bake 2 in the SBB), and a Skipper to make a smaller one. Then go to town with pink frosting! And the edible glitter that's available in the cake dec aisle! :)

You can also do this with the prep bowls to make little individual doll cakes for each guest at a little girl's birthday party.

OMG you guys get me so excited. I cant believe the ideas you have!!! I am at work and now I just want to go to the store and get a cake mix. Im doing it tomorrow.

oooh, thank you for sharing. I couldn't wait to get home from work and see the pic' for some reason bulletin board pic's never display on my work computer.

Love this!

Where do you by fondit?

lol, i mean where do you BUY fondant?

You can buy it at any local craft store like Michaels or even a bakery will sell it to you!

I saw it at WalMart in the bridal area of the craft section (along with favors and such) .... They had a couple of sizes available, it is pretty pricey if you ask me, but I guess it would be a write-off, so it isn't as big of a deal...

wonder what the cost would be to do one barbie bridal cake? would it be worth it?

I want to say it was about $10 for the smaller box of rolled fondant...

Would you need just one box of fondant to do the barbie cake?

At Walmart it's only 4.99 a box, not bad at all. I'm making one tomorrow for the bridal shower tomorrow evening. First time with fondant so I hope it works out great. I'll take a pic and show it when I'm done.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Mommy2amo
  • AMTC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Bill Faber
  • BeckyC5830
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies