• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Without a DCB: Improvising with a Pie Plate

In summary, this woman used her deep dish pie plate as a lid to make a white chili chicken dish using a half batch of the chili. The dish was very successful and she plans to make it again soon.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
Well, I don't have a DCB, but I've been wanting to try out some of the microwave recipes that y'all say are great in the DCB, especially the white chili chicken. So, I decided to improvise. I used my deep dish pie plate with my medium stone on top as a lid, and I made a half batch of the chili (although a full batch might actually have fit). And it worked really well, despite the lid not being very "tight" because of the fluting on the pie pan.

So, this might not be one to mention to your customers, but if you don't have a DCB it will let you try out some recipes at home. If only I could fit a whole chicken in a pie dish... ;):)

Oh, and the chili was SO good, I will definately be cooking it again before long.

So let yourself have your own Show this month and get you one for only $26!

Do some Christmas shopping for your friends and family and put it in as a show and then you can get it as the host! :)

Believe me, I'm planning on it! Hopefully I'll get enought orders at my craft fair table to submit as a show, otherwise, I'll have to give a lot of PC as presents this year!

I was hoping to get it in September, but I messed up my KE order... Well, at least I didn't realise I could only place one order...

Ha - great minds think alike! (And type at the same time!).

you know, i got my DCB with my KE in Oct, but until then i was using the stoneware bowl. i know it isn't for sale anymore, but for those who already have the bowl, they might appreciate knowing that if they don't already.

1. Can I use any pie plate for improvising instead of a Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

Yes, you can use any oven-safe pie plate as a substitute for a DCB. However, the cooking time may vary slightly, so it's important to keep an eye on your dish while it's in the oven.

2. How do I adjust the cooking temperature and time when using a pie plate instead of a DCB?

Typically, you will need to decrease the cooking temperature by 25 degrees and decrease the cooking time by 10-15 minutes when using a pie plate. This is because a pie plate typically has a thinner base and may cook faster than a DCB.

3. Can I still use the lid of the DCB when improvising with a pie plate?

No, the lid of the DCB is specifically designed to fit the deep dish and will not fit properly on a pie plate. However, you can cover the pie plate with aluminum foil to create a similar effect as the lid.

4. Are there any specific recipes that work best for improvising with a pie plate?

Any recipe that calls for baking or roasting in a deep dish can be adapted to use a pie plate. Some popular options include casseroles, roasted vegetables, and even desserts like apple crisp.

5. How do I clean a pie plate after using it for improvising instead of a DCB?

Pie plates are generally dishwasher safe, but it's always best to check the manufacturer's instructions. If hand washing, be sure to let the pie plate cool down before washing to avoid any potential cracking. Use warm, soapy water and avoid using any abrasive scrubbers or cleaners.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• StacieB
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
cathyskitchen
  • Energizermom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • andiphant