• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Want a delicious vanilla cake recipe for your next celebration?

In summary, my friend hosted a baby shower for a chinese lady she works for and I spent the day baking and decorating a cake. The cake turned out really well and I'm just a teensy bit proud of it. If anyone is interested in the recipe I used, I'll post it later.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I have spent most of yesterday and this afternoon baking and decorating a cake for a baby shower (for 40 people!), and I am just a teensy bit proud of how it turned out so I thought I'd share :).

My friend is hosting the shower for a chinese lady she works for, and 2009 is the year of the ox, which explains the topper... :D

If anyone wants a GREAT vanilla cake recipe, I'd be happy to share the one I found. It is moist and oh so delicious!

Attachments

• oxcakesmall.jpg
    oxcakesmall.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 485
  • oxsmall.jpg
    oxsmall.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 390
Wonderful job Annie - another awesome one!

OMG.......that looks amazing!!!

and YES, please do share your recipe!

wow.

How hard is it to decorate with the fondat or whatever it's called...

Beautiful Annie!!!

Yes, please do share your recipe. I'm making DS birthday cake for his party next weekend. His cake is either going to be an Aircraft Carrier or a Fighter Jet....maybe ;)

don't forget to post your pics in the baking today thread too.

Cute! Reminds me of Baskin 'n' Robbins Ice Cream! Love the ox! Very nice! YES!!! Share your recipe please.

I LOVE IT!~ Nice JOb!

You know what? You are an AMAZING cake decorator...it takes alot of talent to do what you do, you should be very proud of your work! :thumbup:

super cute!! The momma to be will be so happy!

Awesome!! Please do share your recipe. I am going to be doing some cupcakes soon and I need a good recipe!

BEAutiful Annie!

P.S. My birthday's in December, I like pink and purple and I LOVE vanilla cake ;) :D

MAGNIFICENT! hope i spelled that right lol, its late!

Gorgeous!!!

I am in awe of your talent! All of you guys who bake your own cakes for birthdays are so great! I just run to the local bakery department and order one or get Carvel! I wish I had just one ounce of your talent! :)

Wonderful. I only do piping cakes never fondant.

That is beautiful! You should be proud!

Wow..that is beautiful. Are we going to be seeing you on the Food Network challenge show soon (I can't remember the name) where they design cakes for brides,birthdays, etc.? You have a real talent there, girl!!

Great job! The cake looks awesome!!! :balloon:

Wow that cake is beautiful!

Thanks so much everyone! I have had a lot of fun, but really, I am not that creative, I just am good at using other peoples ideas. For the person who asked, fondant is not too hard, but takes practice to learn how to get it to work, and cover the sides without wrinkles! I have never used bought fondant, so I don't know what that is like to use. For doing the decorations, it's just like being a kid playing with play-doh! It is quite time consuming though.

I am trying to get us all ready for our play group, but I'll try and post the recipe this afternoon.

Beautiful cake! Good job!

I love working with homemade marshmallow fondant, not the box stuff. It tastes much better. It is time consuming but fun, and the outcome is so beautiful!

Debbie :chef:

Absolutely exquisite!!!
Great job - I'd be proud too!!!

Great job! I can't wait for the recipe!

It is soo cute!!

OK, so here is the vanilla cake recipe. It is originally for two 9" pans, but I baked it (twice) as one 12" cake and it came out perfectly. I lined the bottom with parchment and sprayed the sides with a baking spray (like bakers joy or PAM with flour). I also used the milk/lemon juice substitute for the buttermilk, so I guess I can't entirely vouch for the recipe made with real buttermilk, LOL! For the 12" pan it took 28-30mins at 350F. Enjoy! :chef:

Buttermilk Layer Cake (Adapted from the new "Joy of Cooking" according to the web-site I got it from)

2 1/3 cups cake flour (I used normal all-purpose)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and set aside. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla.

Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy. Over the course of 3 minutes, beat in the sugar. Over 2 minutes, add the egg mixture. Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the flour and buttermilk in three parts,scraping the bowl.

Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the tops. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then unmold onto a rack to cool completely before frosting.

How do you make your fondant? A friend of mine was trying to make some for the first time and was struggling. Do you have a recipe or a reference site?

Annie...your cake is BEAUTIFUL!! You did such a great job!

Amanda...here is a link to a site that tells you how to make marshmallow fondant. I have done this a few times and it is pretty easy and tastes good. WAY cheaper than buying your own, plus it tastes better! Fondant 101, Making Marshmallow Fondant, Cake Decorating

Beautiful cake! You are so talented! Thanks for posting the recipe.

AWESOME!!! What A Beautiful Cake!!! :chef:

That looks awesome!!! The top layer is what I am wanting to do for a friend's daughter's graduation party! Can u tell me EXACTLY how u did it? I have been looking through magazines for ideas.

Your cake is awesome!

Your cake is beautiful and what a cute little ox!

Oh it is beautiful!! Great job! The ox is adorable.

jrstephens said:
That looks awesome!!! The top layer is what I am wanting to do for a friend's daughter's graduation party! Can u tell me EXACTLY how u did it? I have been looking through magazines for ideas.

You mean she wants a polka dot cake with an ox on the top?! LOL!

Anyway, I PM'd you so as not to bore everyone else with the details... Let me know if you have questions that I did not cover. The main thing with fondant is just to practice as much as you can to get the hang of it, to get the consistency right, and the thickness right, and to get better at smoothing the sides without wrinkles...

Last edited:
WOW is all I can say. What a great job!

AnnieBee said:
OK, so here is the vanilla cake recipe. It is originally for two 9" pans, but I baked it (twice) as one 12" cake and it came out perfectly. I lined the bottom with parchment and sprayed the sides with a baking spray (like bakers joy or PAM with flour). I also used the milk/lemon juice substitute for the buttermilk, so I guess I can't entirely vouch for the recipe made with real buttermilk, LOL! For the 12" pan it took 28-30mins at 350F. Enjoy! :chef:

Buttermilk Layer Cake (Adapted from the new "Joy of Cooking" according to the web-site I got it from)

2 1/3 cups cake flour (I used normal all-purpose)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and set aside. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla.

Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy. Over the course of 3 minutes, beat in the sugar. Over 2 minutes, add the egg mixture. Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the flour and buttermilk in three parts,scraping the bowl.

Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the tops. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then unmold onto a rack to cool completely before frosting.

Thanks so much for posting this cake recipe. I used it for DS jet fighter cake and it was delicious! Everyone said that the cake really tasted good too. I made the cakes on Monday and froze them until Saturday when I did the actual cake. They froze great, were pretty easy to cut and assemble (I did that part while they were still mostly frozen). This is a keeper recipe for sure.

that is adorable!!!

1. What is the best vanilla cake recipe for a celebration?

The best vanilla cake recipe for a celebration is a matter of personal preference, but our customers rave about our Classic Vanilla Cake recipe. It is moist and delicious, and can be easily customized with different frosting flavors and decorations.

2. Is the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe easy to make?

Yes, the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe is very easy to make. It uses simple ingredients and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. Even beginner bakers can successfully make this cake for their next celebration.

3. Can the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe be adjusted for different serving sizes?

Yes, the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe can be adjusted for different serving sizes. It can be easily doubled or halved, depending on the number of people you are serving. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.

4. Can I add other flavors to the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe?

Yes, you can add other flavors to the Classic Vanilla Cake recipe to make it your own. Some popular variations include adding lemon zest or almond extract for a citrus or nutty flavor, or adding chocolate chips for a chocolate twist.

5. Can the Classic Vanilla Cake be made ahead of time?

Yes, the Classic Vanilla Cake can be made ahead of time. It can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. If freezing, make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store for up to 3 months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AnnieBee
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
dianevill
Replies