• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

MSABC Walks: Changes & New Locations in 2020

In summary, there has been a change in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer® Walks as some sites are now charging a $25 registration fee. This decision has caused disappointment and frustration among participants, as the walks are a major fundraiser for the American Cancer Society and provide support for breast cancer patients. The Pampered Chef, a corporate supporter of the walks, will no longer be promoting them in their marketing materials. However, they will continue to support the cause through other means such as selling pink products and hosting fundraising shows. Many are questioning the decision and expressing their disappointment, as the ACS provides valuable support and resources for breast cancer patients and is a leader in breast cancer research.
NooraK
Gold Member
I got an email with a note from Marla today about the MSABC walks this year.

Dear Consultant,

As we approach October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we will provide you with tools to help raise awareness and funds for our Help Whip Cancer® campaign, benefitting the American Cancer Society‘s breast cancer programs.

I want to make you aware of a change for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer® Walks. We were recently made aware by our partners at the American Cancer Society® that a number of the Making Strides sites are introducing an individual $25 registration fee. While we continue to support the American Cancer Society® in its life-saving work, we feel that it‘s not appropriate to ask you to join us in activities that require you to pay a fee to participate. Therefore, you won‘t see us promoting the Walks in future marketing materials. Instead, we will focus on other ways to support the campaign like selling pink products and Help Whip Cancer® Fundraiser Shows.

I am proud of the tremendous participation and support you have demonstrated in these events, and we continue to believe in and support what Making Strides stands for. If you choose to participate in your local Walk, we will be happy to support you by sending you a Help Whip Cancer® hat and backpack to wear proudly at your walk.*

Thank you for your continued support of The Pampered Chef‘s charitable campaigns, and for all you do to Help Whip Cancer®

Is this really true? Are some MSABC walks requiring you to pay to register to walk? We have a new location in my area this year which is offering a 5K in addition to the walk, and there is a $25 registration fee for the 5K run, but the walk is still free.

I'm bummed, because I really like the events, and the corporate participation.

I'm pretty disheartened about PC no longer supporting MSABC too. Here in Knoxville there's no registration fee.. I don't understand how there can be registration fees at some walks and not at others, when they're all sponsored by The American Cancer Society. I work at a comprehensive breast center and see on a daily basis the people who benefit directly from the ACS's programs for breast cancer patients. The Reach for Recovery program is amazing.. It matches up breast cancer survivors with those who newly diagnosed, so they have the support of someone who has been there before. They also have a "hotel" for cancer patient to stay at in Nashville while they're receiving treatment, free of charge. 1 out of every 2 newly diagnosed breast cancer patients turn to the ACS for some form of help and guidance. The MSABC walk is the biggest fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Many people are unaware that The American Cancer Society is the leader in breast cancer research.. every advancement in treatment and isolation of the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes were funded by the ACS.

I really think Pampered Chef is making a big mistake here. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to contact PC and let them know my frustration with this decision?

The very first thing I did immediately after receiving the email was respond to it questioning whether it really was the walks or the run components that had the registration fee. The MSABC site says this:
Is there a registration fee or a minimum amount to raise?
Most Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks do not have registration fees* and there is no minimum amount to raise to participate. However, walkers do raise much-needed funds to help the American Cancer Society save lives and fight breast cancer. Each walker is encouraged to raise at least $100, but to set an even higher goal. We encourage people who can't make a donation or who aren't able to ask others to contribute to come out and show support by walking in your local event.* Check with your local event. Some Making Strides walks may charge a nominal registration fee.
I still don't think $25 is something that should cause HO from promoting the event. I know they've said they'll continue promoting the cause and the products, but I enjoyed being a part of the walks.

There is no registration fee for my local walk in OH either.

I want to make you aware of a change for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer® Walks. We were recently made aware by our partners at the American Cancer Society® that a number of the Making Strides sites are introducing an individual $25 registration fee. While we continue to support the American Cancer Society® in its life-saving work, we feel that it‘s not appropriate to ask you to join us in activities that require you to pay a fee to participate. Therefore, you won‘t see us promoting the Walks in future marketing materials. Instead, we will focus on other ways to support the campaign like selling pink products and Help Whip Cancer® Fundraiser Shows.
They do still support ACS. They are just not going to send out emails encouraging us to participate because some areas are now charging a fee. They will still support the ACS and all those who do walk.Personally I agree. Those who walk are giving their time and effort both in collecting donations and by doing the actual walk. I don't feel they should also be asked to pay a fee.

BethCooks4U said:
They do still support ACS. They are just not going to send out emails encouraging us to participate because some areas are now charging a fee. They will still support the ACS and all those who do walk.

Personally I agree. Those who walk are giving their time and effort both in collecting donations and by doing the actual walk. I don't feel they should also be asked to pay a fee.

Right, so our shirts won't have the logo on the sleeve and the printed paperwork won't refer to it. I wonder if they'll publish pictures from the events?

I don't mind paying a nominal fee, because then I know that the money I raise is going to the cause, not to cover the cost of the event I participated in.

What are the changes for MSABC Walks in 2020?

The main change for MSABC Walks in 2020 is the new locations. Due to the current pandemic, many walks will be transitioning to virtual events to ensure the safety of all participants. This means that instead of gathering in person, participants will walk in their own neighborhoods or local parks and track their miles online.

Why are there new locations for MSABC Walks in 2020?

The new locations for MSABC Walks in 2020 are a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Pampered Chef and the American Cancer Society have made the decision to transition many walks to virtual events to prioritize the health and safety of all participants.

How do I participate in a virtual MSABC Walk?

To participate in a virtual MSABC Walk, you can register online and create a fundraising page. On the day of the walk, you can walk in your own neighborhood or local park and track your miles using a fitness tracker app or device. You can also tune in to the virtual event and participate in online activities and ceremonies.

Can I still fundraise for MSABC Walks in 2020?

Yes, you can still fundraise for MSABC Walks in 2020. In fact, fundraising is more important than ever as the American Cancer Society's resources are being stretched thin due to the pandemic. You can use your fundraising page to collect donations from friends and family, or participate in virtual fundraising events organized by Pampered Chef.

Will there be any in-person MSABC Walks in 2020?

At this time, there are no plans for in-person MSABC Walks in 2020. However, this may change depending on the situation with the pandemic. Please check the event website for updates and information on any potential in-person walks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kaseydee
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
thecougchef
  • crystalscookingnow
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
krismaur
  • whiteyteresa