• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Movie Warning for All You Christians Out There!!!

In summary, a group of individuals discuss a website that raises concerns about the movie "The Golden Compass" and its anti-Christian/anti-religious themes. They express their opinions on the matter and agree to pass on the information to others. Some bring up the comparison to the Harry Potter series and the controversy surrounding it. They also mention the recent news about the author of Harry Potter revealing that a character is gay and the potential impact on Christian readers.
jenniferlynne
If you are a Christian please check out this link and pass it on to everyone you know. There are more people in this world that believe in God than don't. If we all pass this on, maybe we can keep this jerk from making a profit off this movie!!!

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

thanks for the info - I will email my friends about it also.

I have sent an email to my friends with the link. Thanks!

Honestly, when I opened up your thread I thought, "Goodness, loosen up and get a grip!" BUT after reading the attached website and learning more, I am appalled!!!! As a Christian, I am totally offended! But I guess that's his point. I will definitely forward this to my friends and family. Thanks!!

ChefJWarren said:
Honestly, when I opened up your thread I thought, "Goodness, loosen up and get a grip!" BUT after reading the attached website and learning more, I am appalled!!!! As a Christian, I am totally offended! But I guess that's his point. I will definitely forward this to my friends and family. Thanks!!

I don't normally get this way about movies. I figure most people can think for themselves about seeing a movie. A lot of people don't agree with Harry Potter, but I loved all the books and movies! When I read that this guy was purposely trying to turn kids against God, there was no way I could keep quiet. I'm just glad to see that so far everyone that has replied agrees too.

Passing on to my daughter's school (Private) and our church and camp.

I didn't get that message about it being anti-Christian/anti-religious when I read the first two books of the trilogy. I found it to be a riveting adventure about a girl questioning reality, sure, questioning authority and finding out who she could really trust... and finding great strength along the way. I really liked Lyra... I personally thought she'd kick Harry Potter's butt any day. *giggle* Can't speak for the movie though since it's not out yet... while I thought, as I read the books, that they'd make for a great visual treat (at least according to the images I had in my head) Hollywood rarely lives up to my imagination. And usually so much has to be left out of the movie from the book that it takes a lot away... Anyway... I hope you don't mind me tossing my 2 cents in. I'm not Christian but am reminded that I try not to judge something I haven't experienced myself. Especially a work of fiction. I remember when Harry Potter came out a LOT of folks were afraid it was going to turn every child who read it into a witch... I don't believe that was the case.

Jenniferlynne said:
A lot of people don't agree with Harry Potter, but I loved all the books and movies! When I read that this guy was purposely trying to turn kids against God, there was no way I could keep quiet.

I totally agree and appreciate you letting us know.

I read Harry Potter myself and loved them. But I can honestly say I would not let my child read them unless he was already very grounded in his Christian faith. I think once you are grounded you know what it real and fiction but I would not want to do anything to confuse him before he it totally there in his belief.

I was upset the other day when Rawling said the Dumbledore was gay and made the comment that she knew Christians opposed her books and knew this would outrage them more but that was the way it was. If she had of made this comment to begin with, I probably would not have read the book. I also think that is why she waited b/c I am sure there are many more people that would have been like me and she did not want to affect her sales.

jrstephens said:

I read Harry Potter myself and loved them. But I can honestly say I would not let my child read them unless he was already very grounded in his Christian faith. I think once you are grounded you know what it real and fiction but I would not want to do anything to confuse him before he it totally there in his belief.

I was upset the other day when Rawling said the Dumbledore was gay and made the comment that she knew Christians opposed her books and knew this would outrage them more but that was the way it was. If she had of made this comment to begin with, I probably would not have read the book. I also think that is why she waited b/c I am sure there are many more people that would have been like me and she did not want to affect her sales.

Ha! I thought the same thing when I heard that report. If she was so proud of this fact, why did she wait until all of the books were written and the movies out before announcing it to the world? Purely an economic decision.......and one that I think would offend everyone, no matter their position on the matter........

In the beginning with the Harry Potter series I felt the books were probably exciting and full of adventure with intelligent writing--not that I have read them. I do think that establishing trust is essential to any deception and so I kept my children away from the books. See quotes below:

“There shall not be found among you anyone … who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord” (Deuteronomy 18:10-12, NKJV; emphasis added).

“Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21, NKJV; emphasis added).

“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death” (Revelation 21:8, NKJV; emphasis added).

Ummm....read the book.

Um, I'm not trying to get on a soap box or anything like that, but that is what America is all about - FREE SPEECH! If you don't like, don't watch it. It's that simple. It's whole thing with Michael Moore. Not everyone agrees with him, but he still has a right to write books and make documentries. People are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of others trying to control/monitor it.

I'm sorry but just because you read a book, like the Golden Compass or Harry Potter doesn't mean you have sinned or will turn into a non-believer. It's FICTION! It's no different that reading a book about unicorns or the Wizard of Oz? That has a witch in it, so do you therefore not watch that?

Leigh0725 said:
but that is what America is all about - FREE SPEECH!

Exactly so those of us that do not want to read something particular or worry about how it could influence our children's eternity are free to share our feelings with other who feel the same way.

Just as you have the freedom to say what you think so do we, and you also have the freedom to not read a thread that completely tells you what it is going to do if that offends you.

jrstephens said:

Just a quick question. You read the books and "loved them." Does it matter that a character is gay? He's still the same character, a father figure/proctector of not just Harry, but the school in general. I recently had my cousin come out to the family, and that doesn't change all the good that he has done for the American Red Cross and Katrina victims, especially.

Free speech
Leigh0725 said:
Um, I'm not trying to get on a soap box or anything like that, but that is what America is all about - FREE SPEECH! If you don't like, don't watch it. It's that simple. It's whole thing with Michael Moore. Not everyone agrees with him, but he still has a right to write books and make documentries. People are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of others trying to control/monitor it.

I'm sorry but just because you read a book, like the Golden Compass or Harry Potter doesn't mean you have sinned or will turn into a non-believer. It's FICTION! It's no different that reading a book about unicorns or the Wizard of Oz? That has a witch in it, so do you therefore not watch that?

Exactly I agree that that FREE SPEECH is good. And I don't like it so I don't watch it and I won't read the books either. And you are right just because you read a book like Golden Compass or Harry Potter doesn't mean you are turned into a non-believer. But Paul said in the bible just because all things are lawful, doesn't mean they are profitable. I am not bound by the laws of men and can partake in anything I wish but are all those things wise for me or my family.
I personally think Harry Potter and now The Golden Compass are not wise for my family. I know what it is like to get caught up in the occult and that it is not something we as Christians should allow into our homes. It may seem innocent but it is not. I do not wish to teach my children about good magic and bad magic because there is no such thing as good magic. It's all bad. Spells, witchcraft, death, revenge, lying, etc...are not things I wish to teach my children through the reading of a book or a movie.
We have discussed the books in our home and some of the dangers it has and the children agree it is not for them. They choose to stick with things that honor and glorify Jesus. Until they are saved and have their own faith in Christ, I am responsible for them and therefore must keep them from things that might harm them spiritually. And then the author mentioning the gay character is even more reason to stay away from them completely. Not that I don't know gay people and before I get labeled a "homophobic" person, I am not. I have a friend who is gay and she is my neighbor. I do not agree with her sin but that doesn't mean I don't accept her and help her with her yard and have conversations with her. I just believe the bible and the bible condemns it. Therefore I do too.
And we do not watch Wizard of Oz because again, there is no good magic.
Is "Harry Potter" Harmless? - ChristianAnswers.Net

Debbie

Last edited:
What I meant (and also keeping in mind the posts after me) was that if you don't know about the book, then you need to read it. I have a slight problem with people talking negatively about something they have not experienced. If you don't want to experience it, fine, that is your right. However, I personally don't feel that you should tell others your opinion. Again, that is MY opinion. If you don't want you or your kids to see the movie or read the book, fine.I don't want to ruffle feathers, but I know this will. When you profess an opinion on something you have not seen, read, experienced, etc., you cause unnecessary panic. I see it as similar to rumors and even (as harsh as this may sound) nazi Germany.Again, if you don't want to read, watch, experience, fine. Don't perpetuate rumors from other people.

Leigh0725 said:
Um, I'm not trying to get on a soap box or anything like that, but that is what America is all about - FREE SPEECH! If you don't like, don't watch it. It's that simple. It's whole thing with Michael Moore. Not everyone agrees with him, but he still has a right to write books and make documentries. People are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of others trying to control/monitor it. I'm sorry but just because you read a book, like the Golden Compass or Harry Potter doesn't mean you have sinned or will turn into a non-believer. It's FICTION! It's no different that reading a book about unicorns or the Wizard of Oz? That has a witch in it, so do you therefore not watch that?
I don't think anyone is trying to monitor any other adults, we are just sharing similar beliefs between people who are concerned about what they expose their children too at a young age.I grew up where treat-or-treating was o.k. and other things, but frankly I'm DISGUSTED with the scariness of what is showing up on the Disney channel...my kids cover their eyes, leave the room, turn off the TV...OF THEIR OWN ACCORD. Without me monitoring them.This whole issue can always start a big debate...sigh...religion and politics always does!We live in a world with a fine line between freedom and tolerance of wrong...we've gone from rightly chastising what IS wrong to having to be tolerant of hurting someone else's feelings... You may disagree, but that is how Satan has gradually gotten a firm hold on society, bit by bit, inch by inch...it started in the garden... Oh, really God didn't mean THAT tree...he said you could eat of any true...God wouldn't keep that from you...Oh, God didn't mean don't watch that movie or fill your mind with that stuff...it's knowledge you know...By no means am I perfect, just forgiven...but as that and being in Christ I need to try to focus on what He would want me to watch...Philippians 4:7-8 - "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."I'm sorry but I do get tired of tolerance being I have to be tolerant of everyone's beliefs and not mention what should be allowed to them, yet if I dare mention God's name I am talking religion and shouldn't be. Christians are always bashed for being non-tolerant but sin is sin...you can't dress a wolf up in sheep's clothing. There comes a time and day that you have to state the truth for what it is. I want my children to be bold in their beliefs and be able to stand firm, not be pushed around all their lives in the name of tolerance...
It starts with something small and grows like a wildfire...look at our schools - look at our society as a whole...Sodom and Gomorrah we are!Ok, off my soapbox for a bit...this really got me worked up...Disclaimer: If you are offended by my words, sorry, I'm not "attacking" anyone or their beliefs personally - I don't do personal attacks...I am speaking what my heart and my Bible knows is the truth and how I see the world going. If you don't like it, you don't have to agree...but maybe God is showing you something to be concerned about?

Leigh0725 said:
Just a quick question. You read the books and "loved them." Does it matter that a character is gay? He's still the same character, a father figure/proctector of not just Harry, but the school in general. I recently had my cousin come out to the family, and that doesn't change all the good that he has done for the American Red Cross and Katrina victims, especially.

Yes it would matter to me if I had of known before hand. My Christan beliefs do not alloy for the gay lifestyle. I know that people will disagree with me. We have actually had this discussion on here before on a Grey's Anatomy thread when the real life George "came out."

You and me can both discuss this until we are both blue in the face and I KNOW I will not change my mind and you probably will not either.

Leviticus 18:22 You are not to sleep with a man as a woman; it is detestable.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man sleeps with a man as a woman, they have both committed an abomination.

And I am not saying that homosexuals cannot be good people and do good things. I am saying that I do not agree with their lifestyle and neither do my Christian beliefs. There are plenty of people that I do not agree with their lifestyles but that does not mean they cannot do good for other people.

My Baptist beliefs do not believe that works get you to heaven believing in Jesus Christ as your one true savior does. And I have the right to protect my children from any books, movies or anything else I deem to interfere with their core beliefs until they are well grounded in them.

Ok, I can't resist...God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve... tee-hee-hee...Sorry, I got only 4 hours of sleep last night - couldn't resist a joke!

Janet and Debbie: I think we were all typing at the same time! HA!

I'm confused about the gay character admission thing....forgive my ignorance as I did not read any of the books and I only saw the first movie (I guess I don't get out much!) But what confuses me is this....if it wasn't obvious in the books or the movies that this fictional character is gay, then why announce it now? Does that change anything in the outcome of any of the stories? Sorry, I'm confused and I just didn't see the point.

**SIGH**

I wasn't going to post anymore on this thread - but I feel I need to get something off my chest.....

First - the topic, and who it was for, were clearly stated in the thread title, and also again in the first sentence of the first post.......so really, if you are on this thread disagreeing, then you were looking for a debate coming into it.

Second - I have every right to base my decisions on what I read and don't read, and what I watch and don't watch by reading reviews and interviews with the author, or producer. I can surmise from reading things that he has said and written, that this author/producer has a life view and an agenda that is a polar opposite from mine. I also have the right to let others who may have the same beliefs know about it, and I have the right to shield my son from what I consider to be inappropriate or detrimental to the way that my husband and I are raising him.
My #1 goal in my life is to please the God whom I serve. My #2 goal is to raise my son to be a strong man of faith who loves and follows God with all of his heart, soul, and mind. This can all be summed up with one verse from the book of Matthew, in the New Testament of the Bible: "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself."

If you are not a follower of Christ, then this is all foreign, and probably makes no sense to you at all......and that is okay. I wouldn't expect you to understand. I will respect your journey - because I believe we are all on a journey of reconciliation to the God who made us, but we are all at different places on that journey. There are very few things in this life that I am dogmatic about.......but when there are things that are in opposition to what I know to be TRUTH, I do need to speak the truth.

I don't want this to sound harsh ~ because it is not coming from a harsh heart. It is coming from a heart that desires God's best, not just for myself, but for all of my "neighbors".

pamperedlinda said:
I'm confused about the gay character admission thing....forgive my ignorance as I did not read any of the books and I only saw the first movie (I guess I don't get out much!) But what confuses me is this....if it wasn't obvious in the books or the movies that this fictional character is gay, then why announce it now? Does that change anything in the outcome of any of the stories? Sorry, I'm confused and I just didn't see the point.

That's what I thought too when I heard the 'announcement'. First of all.. umm... he's a fictional character and being gay or being straight wouldn't have had an impact on the character anyway. What was written was written... his sexuality, from what I could see of his character in the movies (never read the books... never had the urge to) wasn't a part of the storyline...

It only came out because at a question and answer session the author did with fans, someone ASKED about the characters off-screen love life, so the author revealed what had otherwise been an irrelevant fact about the character. I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of it. It makes no difference to the story one way or the other.

pamperedlinda said:

No it does not change the ending at all. She said that during the writing of the books that people had asked her and that now she was ready to answer after they were finished. Which I personally think she did for money purposes.

Here's the article:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/20/harry.potter.ap/index.html

And I think from her syaing this "Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason." She is PURPOSELY throwing it at Christians.

Last edited:
jrstephens said:
Yes it would matter to me if I had of known before hand. My Christan beliefs do not alloy for the gay lifestyle. I know that people will disagree with me. We have actually had this discussion on here before on a Grey's Anatomy thread when the real life George "came out."

You and me can both discuss this until we are both blue in the face and I KNOW I will not change my mind and you probably will not either.

Leviticus 18:22 You are not to sleep with a man as a woman; it is detestable.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man sleeps with a man as a woman, they have both committed an abomination.

And I am not saying that homosexuals cannot be good people and do good things. I am saying that I do not agree with their lifestyle and neither do my Christian beliefs. There are plenty of people that I do not agree with their lifestyles but that does not mean they cannot do good for other people.

My Baptist beliefs do not believe that works get you to heaven believing in Jesus Christ as your one true savior does. And I have the right to protect my children from any books, movies or anything else I deem to interfere with their core beliefs until they are well grounded in them.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate but...being gay, I am so tired of hearing these clobber passages being thrown around. All of these passages are based on your INTERPRETATION of them. We will both interpret these differently. Let me show you: of course, being gay, I think it is an abomination to lay with a woman as with a man because I would not lay with a woman the same as I would with a man. See, interpretation.

As for the movie and the Harry Potter books, they are FICTION! Does watching a movie like Halloween make you want ot become a serial killer? I think not.

I am sorry but this one hit too close to home for me.

As I said earlier I can discuss this until I am blue in the face and I KNOW I will not change my mind. Personally, I do not think these scriptures are up for interpretation as you put it, I think they are very clear.

I did not intend for a comment in a Christian thread about my beliefs to turn into an all out brawl, but I will not apologize for my beliefs and the way I was raised. Just as I do not expect anyone who disagrees with me to do either.

And as I have said this was discussed previously in a Grey's Anatomy with scriptures quoted by more than me. My mind was not changed then either.

As you get tired of "clobber passages" being thrown around, I get tired of not being able to express my beliefs without being attacked too.

And Jason I am not saying you are bad person b/c of your lifestyle. I am just saying that in my beliefs I do not see it as a Godly lifestyle which I try to lead and I know that I also fail at doing at times b/c no one but Jesus is perfect. I can like you and get along with you even if I do not like your lifestyle. I have many friends and family that know I do not agree with certain ways they act and things they do but that does not mean I do not love and get along with them.

We probably all just need to back of the subject since no one's minds is going to get changed. Which I had decided to do, but I will defend myself when called out.

Perhaps we should stick to the "live and let live" idea. Not everyone follows the Bible, not everyone follows the same path(even among Christians not all follow the exact same path). I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. In college, I studied the Bible and comparitive religions(helped when my hubby took his comparitive religion class last year). I even had an Episcapal priest tell me that the day we stop questioning our beliefs is the day we are the blind being led by the blind. He believed in the individual educating themselves about the Bible and learning the history of the modern Bible. I did study the history of the Bible and Christianity. The King James version(from which most modern versions of the Bible are translated from) was commissioned by King James I to legitimize the rule of kings(claiming kings/queens were ordained by God). Before the printing press, monks hand copied most literature, editing it as they went along. Even with the Bible, things were taken out/added at the monks' discretion("thou shall not suffer a witch to live" was originally "thou shall not suffer a poisoner to live" as well poisoning was a heinous crime in the parched Middle East). Even the early church picked and chose books that they felt were relevent and left other books out. For those that feel that the specific passages about homosexuality are the definative word I ask do you wear mixed fiber clothing? Do you eat shellfish? Do you eat pork? These are also considered abominations according to the Old Testement.

On the history of Christianity, the church has long used fear to control the masses. The church was responsible for the deaths of so many during the witch trials and the Inquisition due to intolerance. History tells us that the church used illegitemate charges to convict people and take their lands and money to increase the church coffers. The church used it's influence to sway many officals to carry out atrocities. Even in more recent history, look at how the churches tried to "convert the savage Indians" by taking children away from the tribes and sending them to Indian schools to "acclimate" them into white society....totally stealing their identity(look up the Carlyle Indian School). Look at the Crusades of the Middle Ages(convert or die).

I write this not to offend but to point out that no religion is "perfect". Remember that when you point out some else's flaws that there are 3 fingers pointing back at you. If you are against something, don't do it/don't buy it/don't go see it. We humans seem to want to judge everyone/everything that does not fall into our narrow viewpoints as "right".

Ruth V wrote "I write this not to offend but to point out that no religion is "perfect". "
You're right: no "religion" is perfect. We've made mistakes, but God IS perfect and the Bible IS the Word of God.

The Bible was written by man and therefore fallable. As I said before, if you eat shellfish, wear any fabric blends, eat pork then you have committed an abomination according to the Bible. The Bible is inspired by God but written down by man(and has been changed/rearranged/added to/taken away from by man).

RuthV said:
The Bible was written by man and therefore fallable. As I said before, if you eat shellfish, wear any fabric blends, eat pork then you have committed an abomination according to the Bible. The Bible is inspired by God but written down by man(and has been changed/rearranged/added to/taken away from by man).

Ruth - just want to add that there are also some things that get lost in translations. Moreover, in my young adults group, we've also discussed how the Bible is more of a library and guideline.

To each their own, as I'm not here to preach and respect other people's viewpoints.

Ok, this is getting touchy again. Jennifer started a thread with the intent to tell others with similar beliefs about information she got about a movie. What we choose to do with that information is up to us.I equate it to if I choose to share information on a virus with other PC users...I would say "For the PC users out there...". If you own a MAC, why are you on the thread except to see what those PC users are talking about...
The virus doesn't affect you so do you need to weigh in or argue with the PC user about the fact that they put the information out there. No, you say, hey, there is some information...does it affect me? Yes, ok, then make a decision what to do with it in your life. Does it not affect me or my family or my computers? Ok, move on.Hence with these. Jennifer shared information. I personally think it relates to my family and beliefs so I may take action on the information. If you don't have kids or don't agree with the report and want to watch the movie. Fine, move on and watch it. But don't come picking a fight between consumers...Just my opinion once again...it's been one of those days so I'm putting my inflated 2 cents in so here's a quarter.

I have said this phrase in so many threads now that I think I need to start charging for it:

How can we judge others when God is not finished judging us yet?

Live your life the way YOU see fit and do not condemn or jusge others for the way they choose to live theirs. There will come a time when we all have to answer for our choices~just pray that your choices are the right ones and move on!

I guess I just have a problem with deciding whether or not my kids should see a movie based on someone else's opinion. See the movie for yourself and then decide. Don't make snap judgements of people's work until you do some fact checking for yourself. Especially with SO MUCH bad information out on the internet these days.

I am not saying a word. I've been called enough names here this week.

I personally will NEVER allow Harry Potter in this household and will even change the channel if it comes on a commercial. I agree with saying that everyone sees the topic of this thread and if you do not agree or feel the same way this may not be the thread to comment on. I am a christian and I believe that God does not want that mess in my house and getting into my childs mind. Period. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord, and serving him is not allowing witchcraft in this house. I don't even like my son watching That's So Raven, because of her "special power". I do my best to live by the word and that word is the Word of God. My faith is dependent on believing and doing what it says in that book, that is why they call it faith. We have the faith to KNOW, that everything in that Bible is truth, and God reveals it to us. Not for us to interpret it the way we want, but ask Him to reveal it to us and that is that. God knows what he is revealing to us, we don't have to "interpret it". Homosexuality is sin to God, no matter what anyone says, but he looks at that just like he looks at lieing, or stealing, or even making fun of the creation God made (making fun of someone). Sin is sin to God, and I try my best to live for Him everyday. On a side note, God will only say one of two things to us that day we stand before Him. It will be: 1.) Well done my good and faithful servant, or 2.) Depart from me you worker of iniquity, I never knew you. The word of God is my lifeline, and we are not to sit here and try to interpret it the way we see fit. God bless you all. And Jennifer, I think you are totally right. That new movie and book, will not be in this household just as much as Harry Potter won't!!

janetupnorth said:
Ok, this is getting touchy again. Jennifer started a thread with the intent to tell others with similar beliefs about information she got about a movie. What we choose to do with that information is up to us.

I equate it to if I choose to share information on a virus with other PC users...I would say "For the PC users out there...". If you own a MAC, why are you on the thread except to see what those PC users are talking about...
The virus doesn't affect you so do you need to weigh in or argue with the PC user about the fact that they put the information out there. No, you say, hey, there is some information...does it affect me? Yes, ok, then make a decision what to do with it in your life. Does it not affect me or my family or my computers? Ok, move on.

Hence with these. Jennifer shared information. I personally think it relates to my family and beliefs so I may take action on the information. If you don't have kids or don't agree with the report and want to watch the movie. Fine, move on and watch it.

But don't come picking a fight between consumers...

Just my opinion once again...it's been one of those days so I'm putting my inflated 2 cents in so here's a quarter.

I hope my post was not viewed as picking a fight. I was raised Catholic and still attend church (predominately gay) so I was interested in what movie was being discussed. However, when the gay topic came into the conversation and all of the sudden, some started judging other's genetic makeup (yes, I believe I was born gay and that is the way God wanted me to be), I took a huge offense. It is human nature.

Jason -

I wasn't directing that to you personally in any way. I was talking about the whole thread in general. Jennifer wished to share information and then it gets off on tangents and then critiquing the author for sharing information. That's what I was referring to...there was bickering before you jumped in and long before it turned from the Golden Compass to Harry Potter.

I will admittedly definitely disagree with your life choices, but that for you to search out with God and I'm not here to judge you for that. If you believe in Christ as your personal savior, having died on the cross for your sins, then I truly believe He will work out the rest. Ask me anything about PC or even about my beliefs in that area and I will answer you without holding you in judgement as I believe I've answered questions in the past. I personally have many co-workers who have the same life choices. They aren't close friends of mine, they know what I believe, but the ALL also will tell you that I've never treated them in any way, shape or form different than the person next to them. We joke, we laugh, etc., etc.

I just don't like how everytime the topic of religion comes up, the claws seem to come out...

I hope that makes sense to you...

janetupnorth said:
I just don't like how everytime the topic of religion comes up, the claws seem to come out...

I hope that makes sense to you...

My Grandpa always taught me there are three things you don't EVER discuss with friends: politics, religion, and personal finances.

I have to say that I am Catholic. I go to church and I teach Sunday school too.

Having that said, I have all 7 Harry Potter books and appreciate J.K. Rowling for even writing the series. If it weren't for those books I wouldn't be a bookworm today. I detested reading as a child and was a poor excuse for a student. Now I read to my hearts content and so do my children. I believe that witchcraft does not exist and has no purpose in my life. These are fantasy books that are telling stories that don't exist. My son went to private school before we couldn't afford it anymore and knows the difference. As for Dumbledore being gay, that is just fine with me. I was a little let down because I wanted him to have a thing with Minerva. Oh well! I do agree with Rowling not saying anything about it in the series because it wasn't the focus of the books. It had no place. Look at how many characters in the book we still don't know about. She was asked a question and felt she needed to be honest and told the person that Dumbledore had indeed found love and with whom it was with. Now if she had her encyclopedia done before the series was complete, yes, sales would have been down and again Christians would be bashing the books (well their bashing now but anyway) I think I still would have read them. I have 2 uncles of whom are gay. 1 has a life partner who is a Lutheran Priest. I love them still and am angry that my Catholic family are disgusted with them. God made them that way (that is how I feel anyway) and I will treat them like the rest of my family no matter what! Who am I to judge.

Now, about this other book being written to be anti-God. Well I won't go reading that one. That I think defitily crosses the line for me. I just don't want to read anti-faith books. I also won't read the Davinci Code either as that is out there and I don't get it anyway and if you ask me that was all about making money. However, we have free speech here in this country and no matter what I feel those books are being published and it is up to me to tell my children what they are all about. I have faith in my children to make the right decision.

I love my faith and do the best I can when raising my children in a Catholic home. I am teaching my children what is real and what isn't. It is in the end up to them.

By the way, our Catholic school library has all the Harry Potter Books. Yes the librarian is Catholic too. These books in my opinion are not anti-faith just pro-literacy.

I do apologize if I have offended anyone on this thread. I read the thread, interested in what movie was causing such controversy. I was not aware that we were not supposed to express any opposing viewpoints(going on the theory of the Bill of Rights.....ie. freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press(considering that the internet is like one big "press" and melting pot of ideas). Honestly, I don't understand such defensiveness over a movie based on a fictional book. Why not the same passion about soldiers being killed over in Iraq? Why not the same passion about our president vetoing a healthcare plan aimed at the poorer children in our own country or his threatened veto of an appropreations bill aimed at restoring funds he striped away from programs like human health services? When people and groups protest a movie/song/art exhibit it is free advertising and usually garners more attention than it would otherwise get. Again, I apologize for offending anyone in voicing my opinions. I'll try to keep my opinions to myself in the future here.

I think a lot of the contreversy came from two items:1. people (not necessarily on this board) declaring that a movie and book is bad and if your christian you shouldn't go see itand2. homosexualityMy point was just to read the book and see for yourself and/or make your own judgement not totally based on the opinions of others.LOVE YA'LL!!!

SoooooooooooooIs anyone watching the world series? How's the weather?

I read all three books in this series and I have to say they are fantastic. I took them at face value for the storyline, plot, etc. I really liked them. I know nothing about the author and his personal agendas, beliefs, etc., and personally don't really care. Books like this and Harry Potter I read for escapism. It's fun to get away from everyday life and think about magical, fantastical things. That's what books are supposed to do, you know. Make your imagination soar and have you ponder new ideas thoughts, and think of the impossible.I read fatasy fiction, trashy and paranormal romances, and also like to watch science fiction TV shows. I know they aren't real and are meant for entertainment. I also like to play games with my friends along the same themes. None of these things influence my religious beliefs. Escapism is escapism. However I have had good friends judged and condemned (even asked to leave their community church) because they liked to play Dungeons and Dragons and other games with friends and their kids and had figurines of dragons and other fantasy figures in their house.What I am just trying to say is that people have the right to live their life the way they want to, read what they want and go to whatever movies they want. People shouldn't be condemned for making those kinds of entertainments that others may consider "evil" or "non-christian" or whatever.And yes, I mean this for all artistic endeavors, including crappy stuff like adult entertainment. It has no real social or artistic value, but people have the right to make it, watch it, etc. If I don't like it, fine. I won't watch it. Won't bring it into my home. That's my right. It's your right to do the same thing for TV, music, books, etc., in your home. However, telling other people how you think they should live their lives based on YOUR personal believes, well, that ain't right.Ok. My two worthless cents. Just thought I would contribute to the conversation.

As a christian, I don't believe we can live our lives anyway we want. I take that back, it's not that I don't believe we can, its that we CAN'T. Living under the authority of Jesus Christ means that we are not our own. We belong to God therefore we live by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. If I do "whatever I want" then my life as a child of God makes no sense. I might as well not be a christian and do whatever I want, instead of claiming to be a christian and living in complete rebellion. Those of you that are not christians, you have to understand that those of us that are, and that claim to be, not only claiming to be one, but actually living under the guidance of Christ,(because you can claim to be one, but your life may show otherwise) we know without a doubt in our spirits that certain things do not belong in our homes if we dedicate our homes to Christ. Jennifer put "christians" in her topic. If you aren't a christian then I don't understand why you commented on the thread. The Bible says that light and dark cannot be together. So when we say that we don't like Harry Potter because of the dark magic and withcraft in it and also that new movie, it's because our homes are dedicated to Christ. Why would we allow darkness in our homes. There are plenty of things I don't allow in my home, I do not want to grieve the Holy Spirit that I have invited into my home with books and movies totally contrary to what the Word of God says, and I can probably say that is also the same reason why those of us that have agreed on this thread have chosen to feel the same way about Harry Potter and the Golden Compass.

sailortena said:
However, telling other people how you think they should live their lives based on YOUR personal believes, well, that ain't right.Ok. My two worthless cents. Just thought I would contribute to the conversation.
I wasn't going to comment, but will...I reread this whole thread AGAIN and AGAIN and not once could I find someone telling another person how they should live their lives from those on the side against the movie. They said "Hey, read this." Each person made a decision based on their family and beliefs and a few vocalized what they would do in their household. However, I do see people constantly saying (thoughts paraphrased not quoted from a person - quoted as emphasis), "You as Christians should not be judging and telling people how to live their lives or think - we have free speech."Kate mentioned that the issue is people (like she said not necessarily on this board) telling people they shouldn't watch a movie because they are a Christian.I'm sorry, I disagree...in the argument of free speech which has been stated numerous times here for the other perspective, a Christian has a right to tell someone not to see something based on what they perceive if they want, just like people on here are telling HO not to use FedEx based on their bad experience. I have not had a single bad experience with FedEx myself and my driver is great to...just like you (generalized) in your experiences may read or watch Golden Compass and it does not conflict with any of your viewpoints. If you squelch someone expressing their discontent with the movie, then you need to squelch your discontent with other topics or your discontent with the fact that they are discontent with the movie...Try to reread this thread again without your strong feelings for whatever side you are on...I did not see the information being presented to start as attacking those on the other side......and as Kelly said, those who are taking a stand against this movie are doing so to try to live their lives for Christ. Granted, we are never perfect, and works don't get us our salvation, but as a child of God, and having a God who cannot have sin present, we are striving to be like him. We trip, we fall, we make mistakes, we get up...WE AREN'T PERFECT - JUST FORGIVEN! We desire you to come to know the peace that passes all understanding in Christ and to understand why things like this tug at our hearts. But, if you are not in Christ, you are not bound by our rules or our understanding of them. 1 Corinthians 1:17-19
"For Christ did not send me to baptize (Paul speaking here), but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."I do not expect those except of similar faith to find this logical at all and expect that they will disagree, be offended, argue, whatever. You on the other side, just have to accept that this is what we believe and that it will not make sense to you, just let us share our faith with each other without taking offense or feeling we are holding you to a standard for your family because we are not. We are not telling you what to do. It is for ourselves.

Last edited:
I'm curious.... if you're Christian and you saw a thread that read something like "Movie recommendation for all you non-Christians out there" and it noted this very same movie but encouraged non-Christians to watch it when it comes out and to read the books too... would you be able to refrain from posting? Really give that some thought. Would you be able to not post when it went against something you believe in?

lkprescott said:
I'm curious.... if you're Christian and you saw a thread that read something like "Movie recommendation for all you non-Christians out there" and it noted this very same movie but encouraged non-Christians to watch it when it comes out and to read the books too... would you be able to refrain from posting?

Really give that some thought. Would you be able to not post when it went against something you believe in?

If you're directing that at me, I can honestly say it truly depends on the topic. Most movie threads and many show threads I truly stay away from. You can talk about Harry Potter until you are blue in the face and I won't comment on it. I have many, many friends that read the books and/or watch the movies and let their kids do so. I choose not to watch them, not to have my kids watch them and do not make any comments on them because I have not watched them or reviewed them so I cannot even make an accurate statement on them to match or disagree with my beliefs.

janetupnorth said:
Try to reread this thread again without your strong feelings for whatever side you are on...I did not see the information being presented to start as attacking those on the other side...

The initial poster called the author a 'jerk'. Now... perhaps that's not an attack per se... but had someone called the author of say The Left Behind series a jerk for writing what he did... I have a feeling folks would get upset.

I have read this thread over and over and actually, considering some of the things I've read over time on the internet, as far as info turning into debate, this has been a mild one and I dare say a pretty respectful one (comparatively speaking mind you).

<h2>1. What is "Movie Warning for All You Christians Out There!!!" about?</h2><p>"Movie Warning for All You Christians Out There!!!" is an online warning that claims the movie "The Golden Compass" is anti-Christian and encourages Christians to boycott it.</p><h2>2. Is the warning about "The Golden Compass" true?</h2><p>No, the warning is not true. "The Golden Compass" is a fantasy adventure film based on a popular book series and does not have an anti-Christian message.</p><h2>3. Who is behind the warning?</h2><p>The warning is believed to have been started by a group or individual with a strong Christian belief who misinterpreted the themes and messages in "The Golden Compass".</p><h2>4. Why is the warning asking Christians to pass it on to everyone they know?</h2><p>The warning is asking Christians to spread the message in order to discourage others from watching the movie and potentially harming the box office sales.</p><h2>5. Should Christians boycott "The Golden Compass"?</h2><p>This is a personal decision for each individual Christian to make. However, it is important to research and form your own opinion about the movie rather than blindly following an online warning. </p>

1. What is "Movie Warning for All You Christians Out There!!!" about?

"Movie Warning for All You Christians Out There!!!" is an online warning that claims the movie "The Golden Compass" is anti-Christian and encourages Christians to boycott it.

2. Is the warning about "The Golden Compass" true?

No, the warning is not true. "The Golden Compass" is a fantasy adventure film based on a popular book series and does not have an anti-Christian message.

3. Who is behind the warning?

The warning is believed to have been started by a group or individual with a strong Christian belief who misinterpreted the themes and messages in "The Golden Compass".

4. Why is the warning asking Christians to pass it on to everyone they know?

The warning is asking Christians to spread the message in order to discourage others from watching the movie and potentially harming the box office sales.

5. Should Christians boycott "The Golden Compass"?

This is a personal decision for each individual Christian to make. However, it is important to research and form your own opinion about the movie rather than blindly following an online warning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Michelle817
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefkristin
  • General Chat