• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Movie Night: What's Your Favorite?

In summary, the conversation includes individuals discussing their favorite movies and sharing their top picks. Some popular movies mentioned are The Magnificent Seven, The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Poets Society, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, and various Hitchcock films. Other genres, such as suspense, mystery, drama, and chick flicks, are also mentioned. Some individuals mention their love for certain actors, including Morgan Freeman and Cary Grant. Some also mention movies with a twist, such as Primal Fear. Overall, the conversation reveals a love for a wide range of movies and genres.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I can't pick a favorite movie, but I can get it narrowed down to about ten.

Our local PBS station is running The Magnificent Seven right now. Not only is it a great movie, it features Elmer Bernstein's brilliant score. I'd have to say that the theme to this movie is one of the best all-time movie themes.

Of course, if you're a certain age, it makes you think "Marlboro" but I don't care. It's still a great piece of music!

Hmmm, also too many to pick a favourite, but off the top of my head near the top are The Shawshank Redemption (and probably almost anything else with Morgan Freeman!) and Dead Poets Society. Robert Sean Leonard and Robin Williams were soooo good in that. Oh, and Oh Brother Where Art Thou was creative and a great comedy, along with a great soundtrack too.

Did you know that Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? is a modern retelling of Homer's epic poem, The Odyssey?

I love a good suspense, mystery, drama and chick flicks.

Mirror has Two Faces, What Lies Beneath, Double Jeopardy, Kiss the Girls, Under the Tuscan Sun, GI Jane, Jagged Edge, The Notebook, Runaway Bride, Pretty Woman, My Best Friends Wedding are just a few of my favorites. I do not like the what I think is stupid comedy like the Airplane movies, or Cheech and Chong movies, or horror movies like the Freddies or Jason movies. And I hate movies where the "F" word is used constantly.

We used to own a video rental store for 6yrs, and I managed a store for 8yrs before that so I have seen ALOT of movies in my time.

I love movies and my favorites list changes....I think I have a commitment phobia! LOL

I personally love Dangerous Liasons, Death to Smoochy, The Notebook and Something about Mary, Pride and Prejudice, Amadeus....

I forgot Beautiful Mind, Pi and Anger Management....

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did you know that Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? is a modern retelling of Homer's epic poem, The Odyssey?

Yep!

And it was probably one of the few George Clooney movies where he didn't seem as though he was playing the same old character with a different name. You actually forgot it was him.

"I'm a Dapper Dan man..."

So many great scenes in that one...

The Curious Life of Benjamin Button (or something to that effect) was really good!

Two of my favorites are The Great Escape and The Shining but I know there are more I can't think of right now.

Your, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda

I LOVE this movie with all of my heart

:chef:

I'm not a big movie person but LOVE "A Perfect Murder"!

The best movie ever is Casablanca.

My top ten list might read (tonight, anyway) in no particular order...

1. Casablanca
  2. The Magnificent Seven
  3. The Quiet Man
  4. Blazing Saddles
  5. Tom Jones
  6. His Girl Friday
  7. Bringing Up Baby
  8. Roman Holiday
  9. To Have and Have Not
  10. The Philadelphia Story
  11. Citizen Kane
  12. It's a Wonderful Life
  13. To Kill a Mockingbird
  14. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  15. Fantasia
  16. Shane
  17. Charade
  18. Airplane!
  19. The Apartment
  20. It's a Gift

;)

Honorable Mentions:
Star Wars
How To Murder Your Wife
Mr. Roberts
People Will Talk
City Slickers

I think my favorite movie of all time is Bringing up Baby w/ Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. I have seen it prob 40 times! Everytime it's on AMC I'm there.

I also love Hitchcock movies.

And movies w/ a twist. I think my fave movie w/ a twist was Primal Fear w/ Ed Norton and Richard Gere.

I'm with you on Hitchcock. Top of the list, of course, is Psycho but right up there has to be North by Northwest, Rear Window and Vertigo.

My fave Hitchcock movie is North by Northwest. I just love Cary Grant anyway...

Ol' Archie Leach was a great actor! He was great in the screwball comedies like Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story and His Girl Friday. I also really liked To Catch a Thief and Arsenic and Old Lace.

I can't pick ONE movie either - we have over 500 DVD's and VHS. A few that come to mind: A Knghts Tale, Four Weddings & A Funeral, Housesitter, Deep Impact, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, Empire of the Sun, Young Guns. OK I'll stop now. :)

Oh and Anne of a Thousand Days

I love Shawshank Redemption - everytime it's on I have to stop and watch it. Good Fellas is right up there as well - extremely violent but I like the fact it's based on a true story. Sixteen Candles - takes me back to being 16 (Molly Ringwald and I are the same age:). Love Actually - I watch this every year before Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life - have watched this every year since I was a kid and I still tear up each and every time! Terms of Endearment and Steel Magnolias - love the acting and major tearjerkers. I used to work in a movie theatre in high school and I've always loved going to the movies.

KG and I share a lot of the same favorites. I'd need to rearrange the list a bit and add Return to Me and The Bishop's Wife. Return to Me is written and directed by Bonnie Hunt. It's full of great actors. It's just a good movie. The Bishop's Wife is Cary Grant at his best. He certainly was a charmer.

Also, I've never seen Citizen Kane, so in all fairness I'd have to remove it from the list. I keep thinking I need to rent it. I've probably seen most of it because I've seen so many different clips, but I know I need to see the whole thing.

chefsteph07 said:
I think my favorite movie of all time is Bringing up Baby w/ Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. I have seen it prob 40 times! Everytime it's on AMC I'm there.

If you get the Bringing Up Baby DVD, there is a great special on the life of Cary Grant. It's great.

Well being a kid of the 70's at the top of my list is Star Wars. I actually saw the original at the drive in summer of 1977! Wow it was awesome! Set me up for a lifetime love of space action movies.

I do have some classics on my list though, here are some of my faves...
Your's mine and ours
7 brides for 7 brothers
The Notebook (I bawl like a baby every time I watch it. DH hates it that I do this so I watch it without him)
Anne Of Green Gables (Not really a movie but made for TV)
Towering Inferno
Wizard of OZ (As a child I would always watch these with my great Aunt. We lived in the same house. It is a special memory I will allways treasure!)
Sound of music "" ""
All the Lord of the rings movies
Superman 1 & 2 with Christopher Reeves
Jaws
All even # Star Treks
all the X-Men movies
Just about anything with Harrison Ford
Just about anything with Morgan Freeman
(I always remember him from his "electric company" days)
Just about anything with Drew Barrymore

I will think of more but it's a start...

Forgot:
Back to the future
Top Gun
Dirty Dancing

Last edited:
Rae, you might agree with me that the original The Bishop's Wife surpasses the remake - as do the original versions of Sabrina and Father of the Bride. I do like Steve Martin, though, and I tip my hat to Roxanne which wasn't a remake of Jose Ferrar's brilliant Cyrano de Bergerac as much as it was a retelling of the story, set in modern times. "Prince, pray God that is Lord of all,
Pardon your soul, for your time has come,
Beat, pass! I fling you aslant, asprawl,
Then as I end the refrain, thrust home!"

Somehow, I wish I could shoehorn Young Frankenstein and The Lady in Red into my list. I like Gene Wilder (when he isn't overacting, as he did in The Producers) and the Richard Prior-Gene Wilder vehicle Silver Streak is an enjoyable romp, albeit not a classic.

Last edited:
We go to the movies all the time... we've seen a lot of good movies and a lot of bad movies! Yesterday we watched Angels and Demons. It didn't hold my attention real well but it did have a twist at the end.

Some of my favorites are A Blast From the Past with Brendan Frasier and Fools Rush In with Selma Hayek. I love the part where her brothers take him out to the desert to hunt rattlesnakes and he ends up in a cactus! It's hilarious.

My all time favorite musicals are The King and I with Yul Brynner and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

etteluap70PC said:
Well being a kid of the 70's at the top of my list is Star Wars. I actually saw the original at the drive in summer of 1977! Wow it was awesome! Set me up for a lifetime love of space action movies.

Wizard of OZ (As a child I would always watch these with my great Aunt. We lived in the same house. It is a special memory I will allways treasure!)

I will think of more but it's a start...

The Wizard of OZ --- OMG --- a few years ago when it came out on the big screen again, my husband and I went to see it! It was soooo much fun watching it on the big screen!!! It was one of those where the audience booo'd or yeah'd... so much fun!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Rae, you might agree with me that the original The Bishop's Wife surpasses the remake - as do the original versions of Sabrina and Father of the Bride. I do like Steve Martin, though, and I tip my hat to Roxanne which wasn't a remake of Jose Ferrar's brilliant Cyrano de Bergerac as much as it was a retelling of the story, set in modern times.

"Prince, pray God that is Lord of all,
Pardon your soul, for your time has come,
Beat, pass! I fling you aslant, asprawl,
Then as I end the refrain, thrust home!"

Somehow, I wish I could shoehorn Young Frankenstein and The Lady in Red into my list. I like Gene Wilder (when he isn't overacting, as he did in The Producers) and the Richard Prior-Gene Wilder vehicle Silver Streak is an enjoyable romp, albeit not a classic.

Love Silver Streak! I found the DVD at a yard sale for $1!!! I snapped it up!

I doubt that Seven Brides for Seven Brothers could be made today as it is as far from politically correct as Hollywood has ever gotten...not to mention, it would be awfully difficult to cast the Howard Keel part. What a voice! Did you like Kiss Me Kate? Howard Keel's booming voice carries both movies. (In contrast to James Whitmore singing Brush Up Your Shakespeare.) Bob Fosse performed a back flip in his dance number that caught the critics' eye, before he became the noted choreographer.(The stage play of Kiss Me Kate was inspired by the backstage bickering of Alfred Lunt and Lynne Fontaine, the First Couple of the American Theater. Some of the songs from the show were tamed for the movie because the lyrics were considered too baudy.)

Loved Kiss Me Kate!!! Howard Keel... great voice!

I also love ANY movie with Danny Kaye, Bing Crosby... the tap dancer... I can't believe that I can't remember his name!!!

and what about the old Red Skelton movies??? Whatever happened to them? I can't even remember the names but I remember one where he was a diamond cutter at a jewelry store... it seems they had suspense and comedy all in one!

Fred Astaire (tsk, tsk) danced in a room that rotated so he could dance on the ceiling in Royal Wedding.Red Skelton had a version of it in The Yellow Cab Man called "The Hangover Room." A room was constructed so the ceiling and floor were vertical. After a drunk passed out, he (Skelton) was tossed into the room. Of course, he wakes up, lying on the wall. The entire scene is a scream as the poor slob tries to pull himself back to the floor.

Last edited:
Field Of Dreams
Funny Girl
My Fair Lady
Bells Are Ringing (or any movie with Judy Holiday)
West Side Story
The Producers
Gone With The Wind
Adam's Rib (and not just for Judy Holiday)
Holiday Inn
The Little Mermaid

I will watch these movies everytime they are on:

Gone with the Wind
Shawshank Redemption
October Sky
Simon Birch
An Officer and a Gentleman
Dirty Dancing
Rudy
I love the old Hollywood movies too
And, of course, any and all Elvis movies ;)

Last night, I was trying to think of a war movie that I always liked, too, and it just popped into my head.Twelve O'Clock High, another outstanding Gregory Peck performance.

Some of my favorite movies are:

Under the Tuscan Sun
All the "Ocean" movies
Color Purple
Crash
Heathers
Tristan & Isolde
The Other's
Old School
The Great Outdoors

Strange mix I know:blushing:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Rae, you might agree with me that the original The Bishop's Wife surpasses the remake - as do the original versions of Sabrina and Father of the Bride. I do like Steve Martin, though, and I tip my hat to Roxanne which wasn't a remake of Jose Ferrar's brilliant Cyrano de Bergerac as much as it was a retelling of the story, set in modern times.
I agree on The Bishop's Wife and Father of the Bride. I hate to say it, but I actually prefer the remake of Sabrina. Part of it, though is that I could see the pretty girl falling for Harrison Ford but never Bogie.Young Frankenstein is absolutely a classic. I can't hear Puttin' on the Ritz without hearing Peter Boyle's monster echoing in my head.And maybe she was talking about Gene Kelly. As much as I liked Fred Astaire, I'd choose Gene Kelly as the better tap dancer.

Last edited:
pamperedlinda said:
I will watch these movies everytime they are on:

Gone with the Wind
Shawshank Redemption
October Sky
Simon Birch
An Officer and a Gentleman
Dirty Dancing
Rudy
I love the old Hollywood movies too
And, of course, any and all Elvis movies ;)

Linda - I love October Sky, Simon Birch and Rudy as well - they make me well up everytime. I love the music of Rudy - so inspirational!

We just got back from the movies. We watched The Soloist. It was wonderful!

raebates said:
I agree on The Bishop's Wife and Father of the Bride. I hate to say it, but I actually prefer the remake of Sabrina. Part of it, though is that I could see the pretty girl falling for Harrison Ford but never Bogie.Young Frankenstein is absolutely a classic. I can't hear Puttin' on the Ritz without hearing Peter Boyle's monster echoing in my head.And maybe she was talking about Gene Kelly. As much as I liked Fred Astaire, I'd choose Gene Kelly as the better tap dancer.
Ish Bogie's schlight lishp. Ish getsh 'em every time.FRONKenschteen! FRONKenschteen! (And who could ever forget Marty Feldman doing EYE-gore, with the moving hump?)Astaire...Kelly...hmm...tough call. Donald O'Conner was no slouch either when it comes to dancing. You know who else was a terrific hoofer? Cagney. Yankee Doodle Dandy was one of his best films, IMHO.

Reading everyone else's posts reminded me of some great movies...here are my faves

Gone with the Wind
Amadeus
Independence Day (even after 9/11)
The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
Ferris Buellers Day off
Star Wars - A New Hope (#4 of the series and the first SW movie)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Rain Man
Mars Attacks!

The new Star Trek movie was great too! We saw it last weekend. They did an awesome job on casting!

It's so hard to choose! Some of my favorites:

A Knight's Tale
Love Actually
The American President
Bull Durham
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
IQ
The Untouchables
When Harry Met Sally

Kelly

Here are some of mine:

Valley Girl
Sixteen Candles
The Untouchables
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
Almost Famous
Blue Hawaii (my mother's influence!)
It's A Wonderful Life
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Grease
Coal Miner's Daughter
Uncle Buck

Quite a weird list!

My all time favorite is Wizard of Oz. I am a HUGE fan!! I have loved that movie since I was a kid and I watch and re-watch it all the time.

Some others are:
Grease
Dirty Dancing
A Time to Kill
Practical Majic
Top Gun
Ghost
Premonition
Sweet Home Alabama
The Notebook
What Dreams May Come
Mrs. Doubtfire
I have all movies Adam Sandler and Sandra Bullock. I really like them.

I like to watch the movies that you don't have to think also. So I am a fan of "stupid comedy" such as Super Troopers, Dude, Where's my car, The Ringer, and anything Adam Sandler...

How could I have forgotten Donald O'Connor? Please forgive me.

I love "old" musicals, and lots of old movies. We don't see many movies now, so can't really comment on many contemporary movies, but I love Steve Martin, and Harrison Ford, and quirky comedies. Here are some of my favorites:

Singing In The Rain
American In Paris
Funny Face
My Fair Lady
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
White Christmas
Holiday Inn
Bells Of St. Mary's
Brigadoon
To Kill A Mockingbird (one of the only movies I've ever seen that could equal the book upon which it was based.)
Too Many to List w/ Cary Grant...
Hitchcock Thrillers
Doris Day Comedies
Audrey Hepburn in anything...

Some more contemporary:

Raiders of The Lost Ark
Lorenzo's Oil
Braveheart
Cityslickers
Benny and Joon
What About Bob
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Life Is Beautiful
Princess Bride

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind first...

It is "Inconceivable" for me to pass these up if they are on!
Grease
Princess Bride
16 candles
Coal miners Daughter
Officer and a gentleman
Shawshank redemption

My favorite comedy: The Birdcage w/Robin Williams and Nathan Lane...OMG I laugh so hard every time I watch this...

Favorite feel good: Rainman and Forest Gump

Favorite tear jerker: Ghost and (omg..I can't remember the name---it was about a Chicago Bears football player who had cancer and died---c'mon KG or Rea help me out here!!!!:eek:

Favorite chickflick.....hmmm too many to mention. My DH claims that chickflicks all have 3 word titles...think about-he is probably right!!

oh and can't forget To Sir with Love!!!

pamperedbybarbara said:
My favorite comedy: The Birdcage w/Robin Williams and Nathan Lane...OMG I laugh so hard every time I watch this...

Favorite feel good: Rainman and Forest Gump

Favorite tear jerker: Ghost and (omg..I can't remember the name---it was about a Chicago Bears football player who had cancer and died---c'mon KG or Rea help me out here!!!!:eek:

Favorite chickflick.....hmmm too many to mention. My DH claims that chickflicks all have 3 word titles...think about-he is probably right!!

oh and can't forget To Sir with Love!!!

Bryan's Song?

Yes thank You!!! Forget about KG or Rea...Becky is now my go to cheffer...;)LOL....that movie gets me everytime..even in the opening scenes because I know what is coming...haven't watched it in awhile, but now it probably will be on TNT in the the next few days....

Oh how could I have forgotten Ghost!!!

One of my favorite movie lines of all time "love doesn't die, you take it with you".

I am also a fan of 80's movies like 16 candles, breakfast club, valley girl, etc.

Grease
Dances with Wolves
Hope Floats
Sound of Music
Annie
Wizard of Oz
African Queen
Pollyanna
Cold Mountain
Sweet Home Alabama

rennea said:
oh how could i have forgotten ghost!!!

One of my favorite movie lines of all time "love doesn't die, you take it with you".

I am also a fan of 80's movies like 16 candles, breakfast club, valley girl, etc.

...........ditto!

<h2>1. What are some of the best movie themes of all time?</h2><p>Some popular choices for best movie themes include "The Magnificent Seven" by Elmer Bernstein, "Star Wars" by John Williams, "Jurassic Park" by John Williams, "The Godfather" by Nino Rota, and "Titanic" by James Horner.</p><h2>2. What makes a movie theme memorable?</h2><p>A memorable movie theme usually has a strong melody that captures the essence of the film and can be easily recognized and associated with the movie. It also often evokes emotions and adds to the overall impact of the film.</p><h2>3. Are there any movie themes that have become iconic outside of the film?</h2><p>Yes, some movie themes have become iconic and recognizable even to those who have not seen the film. Examples include "Jaws" by John Williams and "Halloween" by John Carpenter.</p><h2>4. Can you recommend any lesser-known movie themes that are still worth listening to?</h2><p>Absolutely! Some lesser-known movie themes that are still worth listening to include "The Last of the Mohicans" by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman, "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone, and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Ennio Morricone.</p><h2>5. Are there any movie themes that you personally love but are not as widely recognized?</h2><p>Yes, as a fan of movie themes, I have a few personal favorites that may not be as well-known. These include "The Fountain" by Clint Mansell, "The Theory of Everything" by Johann Johannsson, and "The Shape of Water" by Alexandre Desplat.</p>

1. What are some of the best movie themes of all time?

Some popular choices for best movie themes include "The Magnificent Seven" by Elmer Bernstein, "Star Wars" by John Williams, "Jurassic Park" by John Williams, "The Godfather" by Nino Rota, and "Titanic" by James Horner.

2. What makes a movie theme memorable?

A memorable movie theme usually has a strong melody that captures the essence of the film and can be easily recognized and associated with the movie. It also often evokes emotions and adds to the overall impact of the film.

3. Are there any movie themes that have become iconic outside of the film?

Yes, some movie themes have become iconic and recognizable even to those who have not seen the film. Examples include "Jaws" by John Williams and "Halloween" by John Carpenter.

4. Can you recommend any lesser-known movie themes that are still worth listening to?

Absolutely! Some lesser-known movie themes that are still worth listening to include "The Last of the Mohicans" by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman, "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone, and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Ennio Morricone.

5. Are there any movie themes that you personally love but are not as widely recognized?

Yes, as a fan of movie themes, I have a few personal favorites that may not be as well-known. These include "The Fountain" by Clint Mansell, "The Theory of Everything" by Johann Johannsson, and "The Shape of Water" by Alexandre Desplat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lacychef