• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Moving Our Son to College: Lessons Learned and a Painful Mishap

In summary, the oldest child in the conversation has recently moved out on his own and is living with less than before. The rest of the conversation revolves around the mother's emotional reaction to her child leaving and her injury while moving him into his new place. The group also discusses the importance of teaching children independence and cooking skills. The mother is dealing with the pain of her broken nose and missing her child.
Teresa Lynn
Gold Member
our oldest moved on his own, after 3 years he has decided he can live with alot less and he's only 1 hour from home

So DH, DD & I took MS to Houston last night, his car and my santa fe packed to the roofs & due to a storm we missed move in time by 23 minutes. So moved him in today I was doing great had my meltdown at the hotel, joked with his roommates (they were very impressed with his cookware, stones and especially the can opener) and were headed to Sams for his stuff while he attended a track meeting.

I usually lag behind when we walk somewhere because they all walk too darn fast. I was ahead of DH & DD and walk smack into the plate glass window beside the DANG door. :cry: Broke my nose, bruised my forehead, cut my lips and bridge of my nose. The glass was so clean I swear it was an open door.
the nosie was so loud, 2 kids in their apartment came out to see what happened. Thank goodness it didn't shatter, i don't think i'd handle stitches well!!

Bless your heart! He will probably be the designated "cook" with all his PC! LOL!

Oh my goodness! You broke your nose! I hope you are alright! At least now when you're crying you can say it is the pain from the accident not missing your son (if you're embarrassed by it).

No, it doesn't embarrass me or my sons when I cry because they are leaving.

(They also know it isn't a guilt trip, they have been told daily how much they were loved, how proud they make us etc.) We are all very close and they know there is a void around the table, in the pew at church, wherever we are as a family when one of them is gone.

I have a friend whose child is 12 and over July 4 she told the kid she couldn't wait until he left home. Our oldest said my mom never told any of us that.

WOW!!! At least we know that Windex really does leave a streak free shine!!

Sorry, just wanted to inject some humor!! That is aweful, so now you have a bruised forehead, fat lips, broken nose and two black eyes from the broken nose. Do you have any shows coming up in the next 2 weeks?

That is great that your son is wanting to be independent. I know of kids that my brother went to school with that couldn't do the independent thing. I think for guys it is important that they know how to cook and clean and all of that.

Oh and my brother was the designated cook in college and he now LOVES PC!!!

Oh Teresa!
Huge hugs going out to you. ((((((((((((((Teresa)))))))))))))))
I have two boys and I dread the day they go out on their own.
More big hugs to you ((((((((((((Teresa)))))))))))))

Teresa...

I am sorry to hear about your nose and face! I am sure you were a bit distracted with all the emotions of moving your sons. I wish I could give you a big hug in person, but this will have to do:

{{{{{{Teresa}}}}}}

Each season of our children's lives has some REALLY tough stuff for us to deal with. I am so glad that God mixes in such GOOD stuff in there too!!

Hope you are feeling better today. Make sure you rest and don't overdo things for a while!

We have 5 boys, and it didn't get any easier as each one left to be on their own. Hope you're feeling better !

Ouch Teresa!

Here I am feeling weepy because DS is starting 3 day preschool....I can't imagine what I'll be like when I have to drop him off to live someplace other than home!:cry:

((((((((HUGS)))))))) and prayers that you'll heal fast, and the shiners that come with a broken nose will be minor!

anyone had a broken nose before???
when I bend down to pick something up the searing pain is unreal, is this normal or should I go to a dr???

Teresa Lynn said:
anyone had a broken nose before???
when I bend down to pick something up the searing pain is unreal, is this normal or should I go to a dr???

I broke my nose 3x.
That is normal.
Do not bend down face first - squat from the knees. When you face your face downward all the blood runs to the front of your face and you'll throb like crazy.
Hang in there...
(((((((((((((((Teresa)))))))))))))))

Oh Teresa
At least you have the pain from your nose to distract you from the ache of missing your boy.
I'm so emotional over my "baby" starting school in 2 wks, that I can't even imagine watching them leave home for university.
How wonderful that your kids know just how loved they are.
Feel better!

Oh my goodness talk about a bad day!!!! Hope your nose heals fast :(

Hugs to you Teresa! I cried like a baby when I took DD to kindergarten last year & first grade this year. I'm going to be a sobbing fool the year I have all 3 in school. Luckily, I've got 2 more years before I have to do that!

just talked to oldest he is coming home tomorrow after his church stuff is over and he wants to stay for dinner he said he forgot some stuff and wants to see my nose

Well Teresa...as I read your title I was getting ready to post that I "feel your pain" since our daughter is a freshman at Georgia Tech this year but then I read the entire post....YIKES!! I don't want to "feel your pain".

Hope you feel better soon!

my son said when his sister called she was laughing so hard she couldn't tell him so they ended up textingyesterday she kept saying mom, remember the guy in the windex commercial
I have to say she didn't laugh at the time she was white as a sheet and got back to my son's apartment and kept fussing over me.
this afternoon my head is throbbing

aww.. hugs to you!!! You sound like a really great Mom !! I hope the nose heals soon!

I didn't cry when I took my DS to preschool... 1st time last year and he was just 3 yrs old the day he started... he told me, "Mom, you can go now." I was a bit taken back. but happy he wasn't one of the kids crying all day.. same thing this year... was fine with me leaving :) feel better soon and take good care of yourself.

Jess_K said:
aww.. hugs to you!!! You sound like a really great Mom !! I hope the nose heals soon!

I didn't cry when I took my DS to preschool... 1st time last year and he was just 3 yrs old the day he started... he told me, "Mom, you can go now." I was a bit taken back. but happy he wasn't one of the kids crying all day.. same thing this year... was fine with me leaving :) feel better soon and take good care of yourself.

My son did the same thing last year for 3 yr old preschool! We enrolled him mostly so that he could be with other kids (he's an only) and learn some social skills that weren't coming naturally...like sharing.
When we got ready to leave his classroom, he said "Bye Mom, Bye Dad....and I'm still not going to share!"

What type of products can I use for meal prep when my son moves to college?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of products that are perfect for meal prep, including our Quick Cooker, Meal Prep Set, and Rockcrok® Collection. These products are designed to make cooking and meal prep easier and more efficient for busy college students.

Can I order products to be shipped directly to my son's dorm room?

Yes, we offer direct shipping to any address within the United States. Simply enter your son's dorm room address as the shipping address when placing your order.

Are there any special discounts for parents sending their sons to college?

At this time, we do not offer any specific discounts for parents of college students. However, we do have ongoing promotions and special offers that you can take advantage of to save on your purchases.

Can I find recipes specifically designed for college students?

Yes, we have a variety of college-friendly recipes on our website and blog that are perfect for busy students. These recipes are quick, easy, and require minimal ingredients and equipment.

Do you offer any resources or tips for helping my son learn how to cook?

Absolutely! We have a variety of resources and tips on our website and social media channels to help anyone, including college students, learn how to cook. We also offer virtual cooking classes that your son can attend to improve his cooking skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
sfdavis918
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat