• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Uncovering the Truth: Fukushima and the Safety Concerns for Americans in Japan

In summary, the conversation focuses on the concerns about the safety of living in Japan after the Fukushima disaster. The original poster shares a link to an article by a nuclear expert and expresses her decision to not return to Japan with her family due to health concerns. She also shares her frustration with the lack of information and support from the US government for military families living in Japan. The conversation also includes a discussion about contacting local congressmen to express concerns and a personal anecdote about a cousin who has already left Japan.
Sheila
Gold Member
(Copied from the Chef Success post)

I'm not trying to start another debate, just trying to educate the ones who have been interested in me, my family & the happenings in Japan. So if you are not in that category, you are under no obligation to read or respond. For those of you who want to know more truth about Fukushima and the concerns in Japan, read on ...

This was posted on the 12th, but I just saw it ... http://www.fairewinds.com/node/186 (See the speaker's credentials here: "Arnie Gundersen is an energy adviser with 39 years of nuclear power engineering experience. A former nuclear industry senior vice president, he earned his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in nuclear engineering, holds a nuclear safety patent, and was a licensed reactor operator. During his nuclear industry career, Arnie managed and coordinated projects at 70-nuclear power plants around the country. He currently speaks on television, radio, and at public meetings on the need for a new paradigm in energy production. An independent nuclear engineering and safety expert, Arnie provides testimony on nuclear operations, reliability, safety, and radiation issues to the NRC, Congressional and State Legislatures, and Government Agencies and Officials throughout the US, Canada, and internationally.")

Hubby's out of Japan right now doing a military thing. When we get to talk again, I'm betting this will be the #1 topic. He's going to be disappointed, but I don't think I'll be taking the kids back to Japan ... not even part time or for short visits. I feel confident that he'll be sad over the thought of living so far away for 2 years, but that he will agree their health is the priority.

Here's what my sister posted on my FB wall:
And by the way, I think it's ridiculous that a busy mom of 2 toddlers, displaced from her home and her husband, has to do her own research into the safety of returning her children to a military base anywhere in the world. With all that our service members give up to serve our country, couldn't our government at least make sure the families get all the pertinent information to make this decision, if they're not willing to declare the safety questionable and provide compensation for the displacement. It irritates me that they're too concerned about the cost to the country... like we don't spend plenty helping everyone else all over the world. Let's take care of our service members' families first, so they can continue to do the job they volunteered to do. - I will temporarily step off my soap box now. But I will keep it close by in case I need it again.

I tend to agree with her. I know a LOT of my friends living in Japan right now are pretty much comfortable sheltering themselves from the truth or trusting that the US Government will warn them if it's dangerous. I wish that the US Government would acknowledge the concerns. It really is scary to think about my husband, my American friends and my Japanese friends who are potentially being exposed to these dangers. It's summer. The winds have shifted South. So anything coming off the Fukishima plant is no longer being blown out to sea ... it's going down into Tokyo. :(

I realize that there will be a handful of people who won't care enough or won't see that it's a big enough concern, and I'm fine with that. Everyone has a right to their opinions. But for those of you who have concerns about our American Military and their dependents still living in Japan after watching that video ... I urge you to write your local congressman and express your concerns. The more concerns that they encounter the more likely they are to listen!

Wow...wish we had a Support button!

You are funny girl. Actually the letters that are starting to go out to various congress members are what I think is cool (and the best support)! I'm hoping that enough members of Congress realize that there's more going on over in Japan than what the military & their families are being told. I'm hoping more education starts happening in Congress and among those stationed in Japan! :D

None of this surprises me unfortunately. Glad you are not going back, Sheila, and support what you and your sister are saying. My cousin and his family live in Okinowa (I know I botched that) and have lived there for years. He and his family already planned to move back to the states over a year ago and I believe they are either back or will soon be back. Glad they are coming back.

Thanks girl. I've been Yes, the Americans have botched the pronunciation of the island's name. American's say it Oh-key-now-uh and have the Japanese saying it that way now too. But I had a local confirm that it was originally "Oh-key-nah-wah". It's spelling is Okinawa - you were close! Especially considering how the Americans say the word. LOL And they are 1,400 miles from Fukishima ~ so much more safe. ;) Okinawa really is a beautiful place. I'll always have fond memories. I bet they will too! :D

1. What is "More Bad News About Japan"?

"More Bad News About Japan" is a book written by author Tomohiko Taniguchi that discusses the various challenges and issues facing Japan's economy and society.

2. What are some of the topics covered in "More Bad News About Japan"?

The book covers a wide range of topics such as Japan's aging population, low birth rate, high levels of public debt, economic stagnation, and political and social issues.

3. Is "More Bad News About Japan" a recent publication?

Yes, the book was published in 2013, making it a relatively recent release.

4. Who is the target audience for "More Bad News About Japan"?

The book is primarily aimed at readers who have an interest in Japan's economy and society, as well as those who are interested in global economics and politics.

5. Does "More Bad News About Japan" offer any solutions to the issues it discusses?

While the book primarily focuses on highlighting the challenges facing Japan, it also offers some potential solutions and recommendations for addressing these issues. However, these solutions are not presented as definitive answers and are open to debate and further discussion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies