• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Fukushima still a threat to those living in Japan?

In summary, my sister and I believe that due to the recent events in Japan, it is not safe for our military and their families to return. We urge our local representatives to listen to our concerns and do what is best for our military and their families.
Sheila
Gold Member
I'm not trying to start another debate, just trying to educate the ones who have been interested in me, my family & the happenings in Japan. So if you are not in that category, you are under no obligation to read or respond. For those of you who want to know more truth about Fukushima and the concerns in Japan, read on ...

This was posted on the 12th, but I just saw it ... http://www.fairewinds.com/node/186 (See the speaker's credentials here: "Arnie Gundersen is an energy adviser with 39 years of nuclear power engineering experience. A former nuclear industry senior vice president, he earned his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in nuclear engineering, holds a nuclear safety patent, and was a licensed reactor operator. During his nuclear industry career, Arnie managed and coordinated projects at 70-nuclear power plants around the country. He currently speaks on television, radio, and at public meetings on the need for a new paradigm in energy production. An independent nuclear engineering and safety expert, Arnie provides testimony on nuclear operations, reliability, safety, and radiation issues to the NRC, Congressional and State Legislatures, and Government Agencies and Officials throughout the US, Canada, and internationally.")

Hubby's out of Japan right now doing a military thing. When we get to talk again, I'm betting this will be the #1 topic. He's going to be disappointed, but I don't think I'll be taking the kids back to Japan ... not even part time or for short visits. I feel confident that he'll be sad over the thought of living so far away for 2 years, but that he will agree their health is the priority.

Here's what my sister posted on my FB wall:
And by the way, I think it's ridiculous that a busy mom of 2 toddlers, displaced from her home and her husband, has to do her own research into the safety of returning her children to a military base anywhere in the world. With all that our service members give up to serve our country, couldn't our government at least make sure the families get all the pertinent information to make this decision, if they're not willing to declare the safety questionable and provide compensation for the displacement. It irritates me that they're too concerned about the cost to the country... like we don't spend plenty helping everyone else all over the world. Let's take care of our service members' families first, so they can continue to do the job they volunteered to do. - I will temporarily step off my soap box now. But I will keep it close by in case I need it again.

I tend to agree with her. I know a LOT of my friends living in Japan right now are pretty much comfortable sheltering themselves from the truth or trusting that the US Government will warn them if it's dangerous. I wish that the US Government would acknowledge the concerns. It really is scary to think about my husband, my American friends and my Japanese friends who are potentially being exposed to these dangers. It's summer. The winds have shifted South. So anything coming off the Fukishima plant is no longer being blown out to sea ... it's going down into Tokyo. :(

I realize that there will be a handful of people who won't care enough or won't see that it's a big enough concern, and I'm fine with that. Everyone has a right to their opinions. But for those of you who have concerns about our American Military and their dependents still living in Japan after watching that video ... I urge you to write your local congressman and express your concerns. The more concerns that they encounter the more likely they are to listen!

I've said it more than once, and I'll say it again...YOU GO GIRL! Keep trusting your instincts and protect yourself and your family.

As a military spouse who has been watching her husband physically deteorate (know that's misspelled...sorry), we believe due to the "safe" burn pits in Iraq, it's hard to trust that government is doing what is best for their military, let alone being honest about the side affects. Keep on keeping on!

I still believe that people generally do the best that they can, until they know better ... then they do better. I just don't like to see anyone having to be the guinea pigs during the learning process. And even if the US Government acknowledges that there is a high concern and pulls all their American Military members and the dependents out of the zone ... it still doesn't help my Japanese friends there in mainland. I just can't stand to think about the long term effects to the Japanese population. :(

Get in. Get the money(benefit). And get out. ASAP!! I was telling my dad about your situation yesterday. You're in his prayers now, too.

LOL You are funny girl. Nope, just in it for the kids safety. But if anyone here is interested in finding me the winning lotto ticket ... not A winning lotto ticket, but THE winning lotto ticket ... I'd be one happy camper!!! ;)And thanks for the prayers. I do appreciate them. Please send a few up for ALL the military & their dependents who are still in Japan as well as all the Japanese people who's lives are forever changed. :(

For what it's worth ... it's the 19th in Japan. 100 days since the big earthquake. 90 days since my babies have had a hug from their Daddy. :(

Sheila... You, your family and all the military are forever in my prayers. My son was deployed last week for his first tour. He is is the Air Force and had to leave his wife and baby girl behind. I had to attach a couple of pictures... One is of my little grand daughter trying to find her Daddy in the computer! The only way they will have to communicate for the next several months. Just breaks my heart!

Attachments

• 258287_645004184852_57101568_34246641_461454_o.jpg
    258287_645004184852_57101568_34246641_461454_o.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 243430_642218657072_57101568_34204484_4138383_o.jpg
    243430_642218657072_57101568_34204484_4138383_o.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 388
Awe, those are sweet photos! Yes, separations are not easy for any of us, but it's super confusing for the little ones. :(My nephew's daughter was born in Feb and he left in Mar for a year. :(SKYPE and other sources of video chat just rocks! I can't imagine how hard it was for our military members in decades past to go extended time periods without seeing their families and for them to go without seeing the military person! When I start getting into the "this isn't fair" part of missing my hubby I just remind myself that we are so blessed with today's technology. He's not standing in lines waiting to use a phone in Vietnam ... and we don't have to go months or years without hearing from him or knowing if he's alive like the families in WWI and WWII did. It really helps to put things in perspective, even thought it's still not technically "fair", it's easier to take. ;)

I guess what I find so disheartening, no disgusting, is that the government over there, and now apparently ours, is that they are keeping their mouths shut. I heard that the main reason no one feels it is a problem is because the majority of people effected are over 30 and will never live long enough to feel the results of this radiation poisoning. BS! You can not tell me that everyone will have the response to this! And to totally disregard anyone under the age of 30 is just irresponsible! SHAME ON ALL OF THEM!
OK now that I have gotten that off my mind, I still think that you and only you can decided what to do. We will stand behind you as always and if you choose to stay here, well, go for it. I can honestly say that I am so glad I am not in that position. I will pray for you and yours in whatever decision you and your husband make. It just "hurts" to know that your family may be split up for a while. And I am sending prayers to Japan daily. I can not believe it has been 90 days already! Wow! It also seems that no headway has been made at the plant. (I am listening to Christiane on ThisWeek talk about the Japanese opening the doors to make way for an alternate cooling system. She spent more time on the death of "the Bosses" sax player than on that!)
Well, just know that we know you need to do what you need to do and God Bless you no matter what the decision is. Strangely enough I feel worse for your hubby. You have your kids. You are away from it. I am praying for him that this does not have a really depressive response for him. Like you said, technology makes it easier but not easy. HUGS to you!

You have been and continue to be an inspiration to me! and you are so right, I can not even imagine how they handled being separated months on end with out the use of computers! I love the fact that we can still be in touch though Skype and e-mail! Little Ayva is very good at throwing Kisses to her Daddy and I know that makes his day complete so he can move on to the next!

alida - how long will he be gone?

I agree with your sister! I will be contacting my Congressman as he sits on the Veterans Board. I know there are many issues involved and so many wars have affected the lives of so many military personnel and their families.
We support you Sheila and feel horrible that this has happened to Japan and everyone there. The long term affects will not be known for years yet but I too hope you choose to stay.
Love the pictures posted on this thread! Way too cute! Skype is fantastic and helps so much.
Prayers for all our military personnel and their families. Bless them!

Sheila, my prayers are with you and yours no matter what you decide. God bless you all and keep you safe.

pampered1224 said:
alida - how long will he be gone?

With his job... he will be gone for 3-6 months... home for more training and back again for 3-6... so are very thankful he will be home in the middle of it all... I can't even imagine the pain those families have when their loved ones are gone for so long! He has been in the Air Force training for 3 years now and it is his first deployment... Always new it would be tough... just did not know how tough!

Thanks everyone! ;)

alidafrizzell said:
Always new it would be tough... just did not know how tough!

It's never "easy" - sending you (and them) some BIG (((hugs)))!!!

sheila....it IS so outrageous how our military members and families are treated!!!!! i am a Marine's daughter and a Navy subber's wife....my daddy served in WWII and Korea and my hubby in VietNam....Korea...the forgotten war and well...we ALL know how the Viet Nam vets have been treated...
you and your family have a special place in my prayers as do the people of Japan!! And while you don't know me personally, you have my support as well!!!! you Must do what is best for your children and it is absolutely unforgiveable how our government has responded to the Japan disaster!!!! and now it's like...well that's old news let's talk about congressman weiner...disgusting!!!
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!! well...that felt good :)
much love to you sheila!!!!!
love,
carla

I just wanted to write Shelia and let you know I am praying for you! We are a military family also and know the challenges it can be with little ones being away from daddy (daddy left for year when youngest was 4 months and oldest was 1 1/2). Yes Skye is a beautiful thing and I totally agree with your comments about thinking back what it used to be like. I used to do the same thing. Your decision to keep your kids safe as hard as it is to be away from him is the best thing you can do for your family right now. I would love to meet you at conference. Feel free to call me at 937-470-9779
Amber

Thanks ladies! :D You are all so sweet.Amber, that would be great! :DOh, newest news ... TEPCO opened the doors of the #2 reactor partially at 8PM JST (Sun/6AM CST Sun) then fully at 5AM JST (Mon/3PM CST Sun) to vent the building. The Japanese news is reporting that they've "been using an air purification device for more than a week to reduce the radioactive concentration inside the building." and "a TEPCO official told reporters that the door-opening has almost no impact on the nearby environment so far. Ugh. I wonder what "almost" means? There was a small jump on the Tokyo Geiger Counter about 10 min's after they opened the door partially, and a slow incline on the average reading which normally runs around 17 CPM is now looking like about 18 CPM ~ not too horribly bad, but the Geiger Counter I watch is quite a few miles away.

Your sister said it best! Do what you must!

alida - prayers for him and yours! Sorry for the "detour" Sheila but I had to get it out there. You understand!

Thanks D & John. And John, no worries! Military separations are all part of the military spouse life ~ as is supporting the other spouses & families who are going through tough times. We are used to sharing the love. ;)

Sheila said:
Thanks ladies! :D You are all so sweet.

Amber, that would be great! :D

Oh, newest news ... TEPCO opened the doors of the #2 reactor partially at 8PM JST (Sun/6AM CST Sun) then fully at 5AM JST (Mon/3PM CST Sun) to vent the building. The Japanese news is reporting that they've "been using an air purification device for more than a week to reduce the radioactive concentration inside the building." and "a TEPCO official told reporters that the door-opening has almost no impact on the nearby environment so far. Ugh. I wonder what "almost" means? There was a small jump on the Tokyo Geiger Counter about 10 min's after they opened the door partially, and a slow incline on the average reading which normally runs around 17 CPM is now looking like about 18 CPM ~ not too horribly bad, but the Geiger Counter I watch is quite a few miles away.

What's more disturbing than the opening of the door is the "…almost no impact…SO FAR."

SO FAR??? Just what in blazes does THAT mean?

Caught that did you? Here's another one that will make you go :eek:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_10.html

And did you see the one on Hot Particles floating around in the air? http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_10.html

I'm really going to miss Japan. :cry: Hubby finally got to talk again last night & neither of us are willing to have the toddlers in Japan right now. It's just way too scary. I had an Okinawa friend ask me last night if we were just being extremely cautious. I don't see it as extreme anything. I see it as common sense. :(

Shelia you are an amazing women! As a mother to a military wife and a military mom (my son n law and son are both submariners) I really feel for what you are going through. My daughter is now transplanted to Connecticut and dependent on her frg for support while her hubby is off on his second deployment. It is never easy being away from the one you count on most.
I have been following your posts since before you left Japan and have loved reading the many helpful ideas you have shared as a PC consultant. You truly are an inspiration that you make the best out of any situation and again you are an amazing woman!!
I also hope to meet you at NC this year!

Awe, that's sweet! Thank you!

Researchers simulate Fukushima radiation spread: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_31.htmlPlant decontamination not working: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_28.html:(

Prayers go up for you and your family Sheila and all the military families who are seperated from their loved ones. My dad fought in Vietnam and my mom waited by the mailbox daily just waiting to hear from him. Thankfully, God brought him home (or I wouldn't be here, I was a "celebration baby").

L@@K! Daddy brought mommy home a souvenir from the war ... LOVE it! ;)And thanks. :D

Sheila have you thought about getting ERD'd? The military will pay for you stuff to get shipped back to the states it will just get taken off when he pcs's. sorry your going through this :(

An ERD means that you also loose command sponsorship. So if something miraculously improved over there, we would be unable to return under SOFA status. Of course this is a new reason for ERD's, they normally indicate marital problems and don't reflect well on the service member's record, especially when they are in an oral board looking at a promotion. So even though this one wouldn't be based on marital issues, we are still a bit concerned about having that in his record. At the lower ranks, it's all based on test scores, but once you hit a certain level they start actually looking at everything in your service record when selecting those for promotions. We'd like to keep his record clean with no "hey what's this" items in there if we can. ;)

1. Is Fukushima still a threat to those living in Japan?

According to nuclear engineering and safety expert Arnie Gundersen, the Fukushima disaster is still a threat to those living in Japan. The ongoing release of radioactive material from the damaged nuclear plant poses a risk to the health and safety of residents in the surrounding areas.

2. What are the potential dangers of living in Japan near Fukushima?

The potential dangers of living in Japan near Fukushima include exposure to radioactive material, which can lead to various health issues such as cancer, thyroid disease, and birth defects. Additionally, there is a risk of further accidents or releases from the damaged nuclear plant.

3. How has the US government responded to the concerns about Fukushima?

The US government has not declared the safety of living in Japan near Fukushima as questionable, nor have they provided compensation for those who have been displaced. They have also not acknowledged the concerns or provided guidance for US military personnel and their families living in Japan.

4. What can concerned individuals do to address the issue of Fukushima?

Individuals can write to their local congressmen and express their concerns about the ongoing dangers of living in Japan near Fukushima. The more concerns that are raised, the more likely it is that the government will take action to protect the health and safety of those living in the affected areas.

5. Is there any current information on the spread of radioactive material from Fukushima?

According to Gundersen, the winds have shifted and are now blowing the radioactive material from Fukushima towards Tokyo, rather than out to sea. This poses a greater risk to the health and safety of residents in Tokyo and the surrounding areas.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
Sheila