• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Your Liability Insurance Increasing Next Month?

In summary, there has been a blurb in the weekly PC News Wire stating that the Demonstrator Liability Insurance will be increasing from $2.00 a month to $3.00 starting on March 1st. This has caused some frustration among consultants who have never used the insurance and have to pay for it regardless of their activity. However, insurance is a way to transfer risk and protect against potential accidents or damage. It is also a tax write-off. Other direct sales companies may not require insurance, but it is still important for consultants to consider getting their own liability coverage. PC has a good reputation for reducing costs and taking responsibility for accidents that may occur. Consultants have shared stories of insurance covering damages such as a burnt microwave or ch
Malinda Klein
Gold Member
If you didn't notice, there was a blurb in the weekly PC News Wire our Demonstrator Liability Insurance is going up March 1st from $2.00 a month to $3.00

Saw it and have to admit I'm a bit miffed. That's now $36 a year for something I have NEVER USED and have to pay whether I'm active that month or not!I know it's only a dollar ... and if the big announcement is a raise it will make up for it but still ...frustrating.

I guess we should feel lucky that it's still low. I've never looked into personal liability insurance but I'm betting it's a lot more than that!

Just think if you ever do need it how much those little dollars now will save your butt in the long run. :)

Intrepid_Chef said:
Saw it and have to admit I'm a bit miffed. That's now $36 a year for something I have NEVER USED and have to pay whether I'm active that month or not!

I know it's only a dollar ... and if the big announcement is a raise it will make up for it but still ...frustrating.

The purpose of insurance is to transfer risk. You pay for insurance for the things/events you can't afford to cover out of your own pocket. I certainly wouldn't be able to cover the cost of, say, replacing a host's kitchen if I accidentally caught something on fire while demonstrating a recipe. Or medical bills for a customer who picks up a knife and cuts himself. Just the same as I can't afford to fix/replace my car if I get in an accident.

And remember it is all a tax write off!!

I often forget that when I'm at the accountant.This is just the first direct sales venture that required me to pay insurance. My friends in candle sales don't pay it, even though they could easily turn over a candle and catch the host's home on fire. So it was a bit of a surprise to me.

Darn..I too forgot that it could be a tax-write off! But I agree...Insurance is just that - INSURANCE against something going wrong. I hate paying so much for my home insurance which I've never had to file against, but, should I ever need it, I'll be glad I have it! We have car insurance for decades, used it the first time last year and was able to put a huge chunk towards a new vehicle replacement.So $1 more a month...worth it if someone has something go wrong. We know PC does a pretty decent job at reducing our costs as much as they can, and seem to only transfer costs when they absolutely have to. How many years did it remain at $2 a month? We're probably getting a steal. I would wonder- if another company consultant doesn't have the liability coverage, what WOULD happen if she burnt her friends carpet or curtains or worse, or some other accident. I would expect the DS company would tell her that it is HER responsibility. Being an "independent consultant" would cover them in that regards very easily - it's YOUR business, your responsibility. Ouch. I'll take PC's help with this thank you. :)

Yes even at $3 a month is a steal. One of my upline's told the me the story of how she once had chocolate catch on fire in a host's microwave & the entire thing needed to be replaced. PC cut them a check just like that. And that microwave cost way more than $36.00!!!

Keep in mind that people for these other direct sales business should consider getting their own liability insurance. Just like owning any business, it's good to have yourself covered. Same as car insurance, medical insurance, life insurance. We pay a little to be covered in case something happens.

I've been a consultant for 9 years and 9 months so I have paid $234 in liability insurance. I have not had a single claim. I know that if I did have a claim that $234 could be a drop in the bucket of what it would cost. I hope I never have a claim and that none of you do either but I am very glad it's there just in case.

I have done booths where they REQUIRED me to show proof of our liability insurance.

Also, I have caught a host's oven on fire, had a santoku knife fall into a host's floor (yes, INTO), and my director actually chipped a host's counter top and it really did have to be replaced. I am glad we have insurance and I explain to my downline that these are the reasons why we have it. You never know what may happen. :yuck:

chefliz said:
I have done booths where they REQUIRED me to show proof of our liability insurance.

Also, I have caught a host's oven on fire, had a santoku knife fall into a host's floor (yes, INTO), and my director actually chipped a host's counter top and it really did have to be replaced. I am glad we have insurance and I explain to my downline that these are the reasons why we have it. You never know what may happen. :yuck:

Well NOW we know why our rates are going up!! haha- KIDDING. ;)

LOL-Yes, I sometimes feel like an accident waiting to happen! Luckily I personally have never had to report a claim, but there could always be the day...

I have also done events where the have requested liability insurance. and many had to have something added to their homeowners policy's.

chefliz said:

That's a good reminder, too. Who knows how much it would cost to be able to get that kind of coverage on your own, considering what kind of limits some events might require.

I am SO grateful they provide us with this insurance! A few years ago I was opening a container of cranberry juice concentrate in my hosts' home, over her oriental rug...and WHOOSH is splashed everywhere. Thank God for that insurance. First thing the next morning, I called HO and they helped me get her carpet cleaned at no cost to her or to me. I have a director friend who started a fire in a host's kitchen. Host got a new oven, consultant didn't have to foot the bill. Complain all you want about the insurance...then tell me how you feel the day YOU have a very expensive accident in a host's home & don't have to pay for it yourself.

I am so fortunate that I have never needed to use it but I know of others who have and the knowledge that it's covered if I ever do have an accident is so worth the little they take out each month. Of course I don't like that it is going up but it's still so worth it. I'd have to be doing this for way more time than I have left in the workforce to even start to cover what one incident would cost me.

I had no idea what that liability insurance was for; I'm sure it is in "there" somewhere but the comments from all of you have made me really appreciate how fortunate we are to have it.

I have been a consultant for over 16 years and this is the first increase in the cost of the insurance I have ever seen.

in 10 yrs I had to use it 2x...both were for carpet cleanings- and I am VERY grateful I did not have to pay the bill....

well worth the 2/3 dollars a month!

funny is- I spilled red wine on a light grey carpet-
carpet was in dire need of cleaning but regardless I spilled it

The host was so thankful- she asked ok next time can we do this in the front room- that carpet needs cleaning too.....

nancycookspc said:
in 10 yrs I had to use it 2x...both were for carpet cleanings- and I am VERY grateful I did not have to pay the bill....

well worth the 2/3 dollars a month!

funny is- I spilled red wine on a light grey carpet-
carpet was in dire need of cleaning but regardless I spilled it

The host was so thankful- she asked ok next time can we do this in the front room- that carpet needs cleaning too.....

:D I've listened to a recording at some point where one of the jokes the speaker uses when she drops something is "we'll pick the color of your dish to match your carpet"

I'm new here but just wanted to add, my husband sells real estate (I know I know...completely different ball game & a lot could happen there) and his Liability Ins that we pay for is definitely a lot more expensive than $36 a year. I hope and pray none of us ever have to use it for anything major but you never know.

I don't mind paying for it....my ceramic stove top got damaged during my show last month (I hosted it....hadn't signed yet) and it was $500+ to replace JUST the ceramic top. You never know when you will need it and I was REALLY relieved and glad that PC took care of something like that.....didn't make things awkward at all! :)

Posted the info about the increase and some "horror stories" on our team's FB page so they know about it :) A lot of consultants don't even realize that's what the $2 is for.

dannyzmom said:
I am SO grateful they provide us with this insurance! A few years ago I was opening a container of cranberry juice concentrate in my hosts' home, over her oriental rug...and WHOOSH is splashed everywhere. Thank God for that insurance. First thing the next morning, I called HO and they helped me get her carpet cleaned at no cost to her or to me. I have a director friend who started a fire in a host's kitchen. Host got a new oven, consultant didn't have to foot the bill. Complain all you want about the insurance...then tell me how you feel the day YOU have a very expensive accident in a host's home & don't have to pay for it yourself.

Oh gosh yeah! I have a friend who ruined her hosts' new hardwood floors with her stiletto boots she wore right after they had the floors sealed. Replacement cost ..$10,000 +. PC paid it. $36.00 a year is sooo worth it.

beckyjsmith said:
Oh gosh yeah! I have a friend who ruined her hosts' new hardwood floors with her stiletto boots she wore right after they had the floors sealed. Replacement cost ..$10,000 +. PC paid it. $36.00 a year is sooo worth it.

Gotta say, I wouldn't be comfortable doing a cooking show in stiletto heels... :eek:

NooraK said:
Gotta say, I wouldn't be comfortable doing a cooking show in stiletto heels... :eek:

Me neither. I am not a stiletto person period. But this lady was/ is a fashion bug. :D

beckyjsmith said:
Me neither. I am not a stiletto person period. But this lady was/ is a fashion bug. :D

Until she ruins another floor- then PC may say "no more please!". ;)

esavvymom said:
Until she ruins another floor- then PC may say "no more please!". ;)

Nah... she quit last year.

1. Why is my liability insurance increasing next month?

The reason for the increase in your liability insurance is due to a change in the policy or coverage by the insurance company. This could be due to various factors such as increased risk or claims, changes in the market, or adjustments in the overall cost of insurance.

2. How much will my liability insurance increase by?

The increase in your liability insurance will be from $2.00 a month to $3.00 starting from March 1st. This is a 50% increase in the monthly cost of insurance.

3. Will there be any changes in the coverage of my liability insurance?

This depends on the specific policy and coverage you have. It is important to review the details of your insurance policy to understand any changes in the coverage. If you have any concerns or questions, you can contact your insurance provider for clarification.

4. Can I opt-out of the increased liability insurance?

The increase in liability insurance is usually mandatory and cannot be opted out of. This is because it is necessary for the insurance company to provide adequate coverage and maintain financial stability. However, you can explore other insurance options or negotiate with your insurance provider for a lower rate.

5. When will the increased liability insurance go into effect?

The increased liability insurance will go into effect starting from March 1st. This means that your insurance premium for the month of March and onwards will reflect the new amount of $3.00.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pattikake
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pattikake
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • jasonmva