• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Money Saving Tips for Small Business Owners | Cut Costs and Maximize Profits

In summary, the best way to save money when running your own business is to recruit now and get those PC$. Also, the new recruits have the opportunity to earn unlimited PC$. Some people recently started a thread about VistaPrint and they were offering 250 business cards for free - only pay $5.25 shipping. I ordered those and I think they will work fine for what I want to use them for. Another thing you can do that is a little more expensive up front but will save money in the long run is to use recyclable host packets.
C. Schapker
I am preparing for my meeting coming up soon and was wanting some help from you all.

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, tips, flyers, practices, anything related to saving money while running your own business.

I have many girls on a shoestring budget and am always looking for ways to cut costs. We are all firm believers in you have to sometimes invest money to earn money. However, there can often be many small steps or practices to save money along the way.

I look forward to hearing suggestions to help us get the most for our money.
Thanks.......:D :D :D :D

I think the best way to save money is to recruit now and get those PC$. Also, the new recruits have the opportunity to earn unlimited PC$!!

Somebody recently started a thread about VistaPrint. At the time they were offering 250 business cards for free - only pay $5.25 shipping. I went ahead a ordered those and I think they will work fine for what I want to use them for.

Anyway, when they sent me my cards, they included a little flyer offering some more free products - again you only pay shipping. I ordered 100 custom post card for the $5.25 shipping fee. You get to write whatever you want on the post cards and they make them up and send them to you. I figure 100 for $5.25 is a pretty good deal - I recently paid the same at Office Max for 40.

Make friends with someone at the copy store! If they know they will always get your business they might "forget" to count 100+ copies when you copy a ton. Also, if they love PC too they like to help AND you get a contact.

When mailing out hostess packets, you can usually send the "bound printed matter" because they have the catalogs in them. It costs a few cents less than regular first class mail and usually gets there just the same.

As far a copies go, get them in black & white as much as possible instead of in color. This will save money too.

Hope this helps them at least a little.

Get the Office Max card from behind CC. I went there tonight and my total was $60. Then she scanned my card and it went down to $39! :eek:

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Another thing you can do that is a little more expensive up front but will save money in the long run is to use recyclable host packets. Use a binder or presentation folder, and put fliers in page protectors. Only things that the host will actually USE should be not protected (invitations or labels, a couple of catalogs to show around, OOFs, show planner, etc.). Then you get it back from the host at the show, reload the consumables, and reuse it. Over the long run, you'll save on buying folders/envelopes and flyers. And it can reduce cancellations (my Director requires that cancellations ship it back to her on their dime).

pcheframsey said:
As far a copies go, get them in black & white as much as possible instead of in color. This will save money too.

Also a hint my director shared with us is print on BOTH side and be sure to change your printer function to draft. (On mine, there's fast draft, fast normal...) It saves on ink AND paper. I also make sure the change the print function to say use Black Cartridge only......because some printers will use the color ink cartridge to make black......*GASP* Did you know that???

I just created my hostess packets and on the OOF's, i printed the guest special on the back side so each guest was sure to get that information. My director says she's prints the OOF's on both sides, however I am choosing not to do this for security of Credit Card payments.

Definetly use Recyclable Hostess packets too! Be sure to tell them what you'll need back.....which is up to you.....the folder, the catalogs, any extra postcards that for SOME Reason they didn't get sent out......etc.

Good Luck!

I know one thing I do....with all the show info. like my copy of receipts, prize drawing slips, etc., anything to do with that show I put all this in "recycled" envelopes. Big envelopes from my mail alone have often been very handy to store my info. in.

I also always use the clean back sides of paper for my personal copies of things instead of using clean paper all the time. All the papers I receive in the mail and from my children's school accumulate but always make great paper for personal uses.

Thanks for the tips on the ink. I will check out the "draft" function.
I only print the first page of the outside order forms and typically the special for that month is in the upper right hand corner. I also only enclose 1 outside order form per packet. I always stress that so many people can print for free at work, if not write it on a piece of paper and I will print up receipt after the orders are placed. I am surprised how many hosts print up the forms themselves and not even think twice.

Thanks again.

STEAL PENS!!!!
I don't buy pens. I get them from realtors - they LOVE to give us their pens because it is free advertising for them. I get them from banks, hotels, you-name-it -- everywhere!!!

gilliandanielle said:
Make friends with someone at the copy store! If they know they will always get your business they might "forget" to count 100+ copies when you copy a ton. Also, if they love PC too they like to help AND you get a contact.

Better yet - make friends with a copier salesman! They are always dumping old copiers when their clients trade them in. I have a professional grade copier now, and all I have to pay for is a $20 ink cartridge once every two years, and the paper. It's super fast, and it saves me a trip to the copy store.

Also, try ingrabber.com for cartridges. I'm actually looking into buying a new printer so that I can get cheaper cartridges. Mine are $20 a piece, and I go through a ton of them. But my director's are only $2 a piece. A new printer will cost around $100, but in the long run it will be worth it for me.

My Office Max has a deal where I bring in an old ink cartridge to recylcle, and I get $3 off my purchase. I took in 5 (the daily limit) and got $15 off my purchase. Combine that with our Perks card and there's more money saved!

question about our perks card can we use it for other things ither then copies?? I know it seems like a dumb question.

My tips1) Dollar store labels - You can get 450 lables for $1! Can't beat that.
2) Hit the back to school sales for folders - I've got them for 1 cent a piece earlier, then recently I bot them for 4 cents a piece. I just stock up. Usually if you are really nice to the cashier, they will "let it slide" on how many you have - or, just bring family members with you to buy them.
3) Take your ink cartridge to the refill place in office max - it's about 1/2 the price (although recently I saw that walgreens is now refilling for $10-$15 - I'm going to try that).
4) Pens - office max is cheaper than the $1 store - you get 2 dozen for 89cents at office max
5) Get a PC buddy and go in together on supplies. Ex - buy 100 catalogs and split. Also, have 1 person put order in at begining of each month and the other at the end - that way you split the $4 shipping and don't have to pay standard shipping rates

Pampered Perks!Definately take advantage of the discounts you get as a consultant. I use my Office Max Discount card ALL the time!! You can save so much money on everything in the store, not just copies!!

I would also like to share a great idea that I got from another DS consultant. It was actually the day after I came home from Conference and I had wanted to buy lapboards at conference but couldn't bring myself to pay $2.50 each so anyway this other consultant had taken 3 ring binders and cut off the front and back covers, threw out the rings and that is what she uses. I bought some three ring binders sometimes if you look, some places have some that are slightly damaged that you can buy cheap, we have a great store that has a lot of that stuff and I bought the ones that have the clear plastic on the front and back so I am going to put my host specials and guest special flyers in them and that way maybe I can encourage guest participation by having them tell everyone what the special is that is on their lap board.

Heidi

For printer ink, you can buy a kit online that will allow you to refill your cartridges. Or, you can go to BJs, Office Max, maybe even Walmart, and pay to have them refill your cartridges - at a fraction of the cost of new.

Draft mode works great.

I use a laser printer at home. It's black and white, but I print on colored paper. It's SOOO Much cheaper than inkjets, and I don't have to worry about address labels running if they get wet. I buy the remanufactured (recycled) toner cartridges for about $80, and they'll last a year, easy. Laser printers have really come down in price lately, too. I paid $400 for mine, 5 years ago, but you can get them for about $100 now.

I go to a "mom and pop" shop to get my ink cartiges refilled and they are much cheaaper than Office max and Staples (about 1/2) and he charges me .03 a copy and I usually run on color paper vs white to through some bang into things.
I too use recycled paper for my own things.
I also hunt for vendors on line and buy things that I can adapt. I found the fridge magnet tablets w/ double back tape for bus. card for $89 for 1,000!!! Several of us went in on them together and I give those as a host gift as well. I think Merrill is $1 each! Yikes!

jenwallace said:
My Office Max has a deal where I bring in an old ink cartridge to recylcle, and I get $3 off my purchase. I took in 5 (the daily limit) and got $15 off my purchase. Combine that with our Perks card and there's more money saved!

My Office Depot will only let me turn in one cartridge per order!:grumpy:

chefann said:
Go to SuperFast Printing - All Products to order FREE address labels! They're a little over $2 per roll for shipping, but you can order several at a time. I use these labels on my recipe cards, brochures, etc.

Hey Thanks Ann! I just ordered some. I used to get a ton free from various organizations with donations but they've been giving paper pads lately.

here is an article you might find interesting to read
i was given it from an usborne books consultant and found it really interesting

Attachments

• KR_Show_Me_the_Money.pdf
    258.2 KB · Views: 524
Ink Cartridge Return
Christ Follower said:
My Office Depot will only let me turn in one cartridge per order!:grumpy:

I go to Staples and they will let you turn in as many as you want but I think you can only use 3 coupons at one time but you can use the $3 coupons for anything it doesn't just have to be ink so you can just separate your stuff into a few orders and then get away with it that way. I think that it is a great way to save money. I don't usually shop at staples because we have a small office supply store that is much cheaper but they don't have the ink that I need so it works out to do it that way.

ok why do I feel left out????

I use that darn office max perks card every time & I have never seen a savings I guess I just thought it accumulated points and I've had it from the first day we could sign up

ok why do I feel left out????

I use that darn office max perks card every time & I have never seen a savings I guess I just thought it accumulated points and I've had it from the first day we could sign up

theresa
i feel even more left out we dont even get to have one way up here in canada lol

I also love to go to Office Max, we do get great savings! Another idea is we have a BJ's wholesale club around town and I get my envelopes for my newsletters there and also my sticky notes... they have a whole "office/school" isle. Definitely worth the trip! :)

Anybody have any good ideas for saving money at the Post Office? I'm gettin' killed.

Anybody have any good ideas for saving money at the Post Office? I'm gettin' killed.
Get a scale and make sure you aren't putting more postage than required on things. It sounds simple, but I know people who think that the second ounce is the same price as the first, and it's actually less expensive. You can find postage rate tables at http://www.usps.com.

If time isn't an issue, mail things media mail or bound printed matter when possible. There are specific rules about those 2 classes, so check the regulations first. Also, those are "space available" type, so the PO has 3 weeks or more to deliver them.

I don't mail more than I have to. I strongly encourage people to go to my website, rather than mail out catalogs. And that's why my newsletter is email as well.

Postage Expenses

I have to ask what all you're mailing? I don't mail much. I mailed 50 mini-cats the last two seasons, and am debating whether to do again, as I have not seen it to be beneficial. I do my best to give the host packets out at the show or deliver to their house/work if nearby. And I do not mail out newsletters since they can either receive via email, or go to the website which is plastered on the folders, receipts, and everything else I give them at the shows.

In my opinion, if you're just mailing out promo ad type material, it's nothing more than junk mail to the recipient without a follow up phone call. Then, it might become beneficial. I know when I started my business, I thought I could avoid the phone by utilizing USPS and my ISP. It just doesn't happen that way.

Happy Selling,
Rita

I mail my packets in a priority mail envelope. I think that the hosts feel special when they see that and it is a flat rate. Those, like other posters, are all that I mail. Well actually I also mail postcard invitations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • twinkie10
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • jcsmilez