• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mom's With Daughters Who Have Add Please Read!

In summary, the conversation revolved around a parent's concerns about their 6th grade daughter's struggles in school and possible ADHD. They discussed various resources, including online tests and books, and shared their experiences with ADHD and different types of medication. One person also mentioned their personal struggles with organization and learning, but expressed success in their work life. The conversation ended with an offer to answer any questions via email.
cewcooks
Hi

I am having such a hard time with my DD whose in 6th grade and getting all D's, I feel that she is ADD but I am not sure I have had a conference with her teacher and they want to test her to see what is the deficit she is having and why she is not attending, at home Homework is becoming a struggle, and she is lashing out and I am not sure really what to do. She has always been a average student and has liked school but 6th grade has made her do a 180.

What have been your experiences??

Go to Change Your Brain, Change Your Life. - Amen Clinics and take the test for your daughter or have her take it. According to Dr. Daniel Amen (it's his website) there are 6 kinds of ADHD. Even if your daughter isn't physically hyper, her brain could be hyper. There is also a book written by him called Healing ADHD. The test is in there, too.

Edward M. Hallowell is also a good author to read. My experience is plentiful! All of these things have helped me cope and understand.

Wow. My 12 yr old stepson is classic type 3, overfocused.

But he was tested back in 3rd grade by a pediatric neurologist and it came back negative. He took Adderal and it never made a difference.

My son has ADHD, inattentive type. He takes Adderall XR, and it really helps a lot. Each type needs a different kind of treatment and/or medication.

My son is 8 and he has ADHD and he takes Concerta 1 pill a day and the hardest part for me was accepting it but we have seen a total change in him and how he is advancing in school and he likes it so much better then before.

Thanks so much, for me right now I feel like I should of seen it a bit last year, because she got so frustrated with big, long term projects, but I am having a hard time accepting it, too. Thanks for your advise

Probably the best way for you to find out is by taking her to a neurologist and having her formally tested. Her family dr will refer her to someone for you. Good luck!

I have a son who is ADHD and the first time he was tested it came back negative too... I knew something wasn't right and he wasn't just misbehaving as everyone was telling me. Glad I did... he is ADHD and on Ritalin.... has worked wonders. We are actually switching him to Vyvanse next week and can't wait. The Vyvanse is supposed to last 12 hours so I should be able to get through dinner and homework without us both getting frustrated.

Jae- thanks for those resources. I am going to check into them. I would like to see which type he is!

I am 35 & have ADD. I wasn't tested until I was 18. I studied & studied but w/nothing to prove for it in my grades. Teachers kept telling me I wasn't applying myself. WHATEVER! Anyway, I was horrible at spelling & still am to this day. I could read one sentence over & over again & still not tell you what I just read. It always HELPED me to have a radio or tv going in the background - if there was total silence my mind would race & think of everything but what I was trying to do. I still have issues to the very day & still take ritalin. I am a clean person but not a "neat" person. I have BAD organizational issues. I try but it is one of the ADD issues I have. If you want to email me with any questions or anything please feel free to do so. I also want to say that what I have issues with on knowledge of subjects from school doesn't really affect me in my regular life other than spelling. I am a very fast learner & a very hands on learner. Every job I have had outside of working for my father, I have won awards & fast raises due to my job performance. Hope this helps you.

kaseydee said:
I am 35 & have ADD. I wasn't tested until I was 18. I studied & studied but w/nothing to prove for it in my grades. Teachers kept telling me I wasn't applying myself. WHATEVER! Anyway, I was horrible at spelling & still am to this day. I could read one sentence over & over again & still not tell you what I just read. It always HELPED me to have a radio or tv going in the background - if there was total silence my mind would race & think of everything but what I was trying to do. I still have issues to the very day & still take ritalin. I am a clean person but not a "neat" person. I have BAD organizational issues. I try but it is one of the ADD issues I have. If you want to email me with any questions or anything please feel free to do so. I also want to say that what I have issues with on knowledge of subjects from school doesn't really affect me in my regular life other than spelling. I am a very fast learner & a very hands on learner. Every job I have had outside of working for my father, I have won awards & fast raises due to my job performance. Hope this helps you.

OMG are you my twin? :) This was like it came out of my mouth-except for the spelling part. Everyone at work comes to me for proofing. I get so frustrated because I pick up on the slightest mispelling.

Anyhow-I am 35 as well but I wasn't tested until I was 30! Once my mom started to suspect that I had ADD I took some tests on-line and read a lot about ADD and went to my family Dr. with my findings. I know that is why I had such a hard time in high school and also why I decided to "take a break" from college after 4 1/2 years. Well I never went back. Studying was extremely difficult for me.

I have the same organizational issues and it drives me nuts. I've been off Adderall since March of last year though when we decided to get pregnant and I'm still nursing. This week it has really been affecting me. I have been laying awake for hours each night with my mind racing, even though I'm exhausted. It wears you out!

Ü

That test used to be free. I didn't know they were charging for it, now. If you can get the book from the library, the test is in the book, too.

SummerG said:
OMG are you my twin? :) This was like it came out of my mouth-except for the spelling part. Everyone at work comes to me for proofing. I get so frustrated because I pick up on the slightest mispelling.

Anyhow-I am 35 as well but I wasn't tested until I was 30! Once my mom started to suspect that I had ADD I took some tests on-line and read a lot about ADD and went to my family Dr. with my findings. I know that is why I had such a hard time in high school and also why I decided to "take a break" from college after 4 1/2 years. Well I never went back. Studying was extremely difficult for me.

I have the same organizational issues and it drives me nuts. I've been off Adderall since March of last year though when we decided to get pregnant and I'm still nursing. This week it has really been affecting me. I have been laying awake for hours each night with my mind racing, even though I'm exhausted. It wears you out!
Ü

That drives me crazy too! But now I have anxiety & stress so bad that I have to take a pill at night so I can actually sleep. I'm thinking about changing my medicine from ritalin to something else b/c it isn't near as affective & my sleep doctor told me some of my sleep issues might have to do with that. He said it is better to switch after some time. I've been on the same drug for 17yrs. He also told me to quit my current job b/c of the stress it is putting on my body...it is making me physically ill. Oh well, until PC comes around I'm not going to be changing jobs. :grumpy:

It is so nice to be able to talk to other people that are the "same" as you & hear that what you do & feel is similar to them. It was a 20/20 show that my father & I were watching (on different floors in our house) and I ran down stairs & told him that was about me. He said sounded like it call a doctor tomorrow & get tested. It was so nice to have an answer to my issue. I never finished college either. I will some day though. :)

1. How can I help my daughter with ADD stay organized and on top of her schoolwork?

One helpful tip is to create a visual schedule or checklist for your daughter to follow. This can help her stay on track and remember important tasks. Also, setting specific routines and designated study times can help her stay organized.

2. Is there a specific diet or nutrition plan that can benefit my daughter with ADD?

While there is no specific diet that has been proven to directly help with ADD, it is important to have a balanced and nutritious diet for overall health. Some studies have shown that foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids may have a positive impact on ADD symptoms.

3. Are there any natural remedies or supplements that can help manage ADD symptoms?

There are some natural remedies and supplements that have been shown to help with ADD symptoms, such as omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and magnesium. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements.

4. How can I support my daughter's self-esteem and confidence while dealing with ADD?

It is important to celebrate your daughter's strengths and successes, and to provide encouragement and understanding when she struggles. Offering praise and positive reinforcement can also help boost her self-esteem.

5. Can technology be helpful for managing ADD?

Technology can be a useful tool for managing ADD, as there are many apps and programs specifically designed to help with organization, time management, and focus. However, it is important to monitor your daughter's screen time and find a balance that works for her.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jenf
  • floccies