• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mom's Question: Should Bamboo Mixing Bowls Be Used to Store Food in the Fridge?

In summary, bamboo mixing bowls are safe to use for storing food in the fridge, including acidic foods. They do not absorb odors and can also be used in the freezer. To clean and care for a bamboo mixing bowl, hand wash it with mild soap and water, avoid harsh chemicals, and oil it every few months to maintain its quality.
byrd1956
Gold Member
I have a customer that says her mom wants to store food in the bamboo mixing bowls in the fridge. What does everyone say? I don't have these and wondered if they should actually store things in them. Especially things like fruit in juices. My customer is afraid there will be leaching or even leaking. Advice?

I wouldn't use them for storage. They have no lids, and they're not really made for that. Overnight is one thing. Any longer and I'd be leery, though I can't exactly say I can see a big problem. I haven't had trouble with staining or leaking.

It is not recommended to store food in bamboo mixing bowls in the fridge. Bamboo is a porous material and can absorb moisture, which can lead to mold growth and bacteria buildup. It is also not airtight, so there is a risk of leakage or cross-contamination with other foods in the fridge. It is best to use glass or plastic containers for storing food in the fridge.

1. Can bamboo mixing bowls be safely used to store food in the fridge?

Yes, bamboo mixing bowls are safe to use for storing food in the fridge. Bamboo is a durable and non-toxic material that is commonly used in kitchenware. However, it is important to properly clean and dry the bowl before using it to store food.

2. Are bamboo mixing bowls a good choice for storing acidic foods in the fridge?

Yes, bamboo is naturally resistant to bacteria and does not react with acidic foods, making it a good choice for storing acidic foods in the fridge. Just make sure to properly clean the bowl after each use to prevent any cross-contamination.

3. Do bamboo mixing bowls absorb odors from food?

No, bamboo is a non-porous material and does not absorb odors from food. This makes it a great choice for storing a variety of foods without worrying about any lingering smells.

4. Can bamboo mixing bowls be used in the freezer?

Yes, bamboo mixing bowls can be safely used in the freezer. However, it is important to avoid sudden temperature changes. Allow the bowl to come to room temperature before placing it in the freezer, and avoid using it to store hot foods directly from the oven.

5. How should I clean and care for my bamboo mixing bowls?

To clean your bamboo mixing bowl, simply hand wash it with warm water and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as these can damage the bamboo. It is also important to dry the bowl thoroughly before storing it. Additionally, it is recommended to oil the bowl with food-grade mineral oil every few months to maintain its luster and prevent drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies
Views
Staci
  • jrstephens
  • Products and Tips
Replies