• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Hosting a Direct Sales Party on the First Day of School Appropriate?

In summary, the girl who gave out the invitations is not a consultant. All of the girls in her daughter's class received an invitation. The girl says that she is just hosting the party and that the consultant is someone from a different town and not in her cluster. She apologizes for her daughter's involvement and says that she knew the girl was a consultant. The girl says that she would be afraid to attend the party if she were the consultant and that she would have a hard time keeping her mouth shut.
babywings76
Gold Member
I was so disheartened this morning when I went to put in my DD's lunch in her lunch box. I saw a PC postcard invite. I took it out and it was an invitation to a PC Mommy and Me party. All the girls in her class got an invite. So now I'm bummed. That was pretty smart to have that from Day 1 (yesterday w/ the first day of school). (If she's the consultant) 'Cause now everyone knows that she sells and she's starting the year off w/ a bang. (If people go. I don't know if it's a turnoff for people that on Day 1 they get an invite to a DS party.) I can't tell if the host is the consultant or not. I tried to RSVP but got her voicemail. She didn't have a PC mention on her VM message, so I'm still not positive. I think I'm going to be just be myself, be friendly and ask if she's a consultant. Find out who her director is. I'll let her know that since I'm one as well, I don't know if she (or the consultant, if it isn't her) would feel comfortable w/ me there. I'll tell her that I think it's a great idea, though and I hope it goes well. If she isn't the consultant, I think it's also a nice thing as a mom wanting to get to know the other mom's and girls in the class. Great way to start friendships. Wish I had thought to do this. ;)So all of you who haven't started school yet, maybe this is something you might want to do.

Are you allowed to put invitations in everyone's lunch box?

The schools here hand out a parents list (you choose if you want to be on it or not) w/ contact info, and that would be the only way we can distribute something like an invitation.

The girl handed them out to all the girls during lunch time/recess. Our school doesn't have a rule about not being allowed to invite people. If you want to mail out invites, then you have to get address and numbers on your own, unless parents shared them on a list that the class does independently. But to just hand out invitations is allowed. And I know teachers just ask that if you do that openly, to be nice and invite all the girls and not leave anyone out so feelings don't get hurt.

how old is your daughter

4th grade, she'll be 10 yrs. old soon.

So what did the invite say specifically? :)

Yeah, I would be interested to know too.

It was the PC postcard w/ the picture of the white DCB. She had a label w/ the show info covering the appropriated show info area. It listed the Mom and the daughter's names as the "Hostesses:" Then on the right side it said "It's a Mommy and Me Show" "Bring a child to help cook!"I called to RSVP and thanked her for the invite. I asked her if she was a consultant and she said no, she was just hosting. I told her how I was also a consultant. I asked her who the consultant was, I was curious if she was a friend of mine from my cluster. I didn't recognize the name, it's someone from a different town and not in my cluster (I think). She apologized for her daughter giving my daughter an invitation. She said she knew I was a consultant and told her daughter not to, but the daughter said she is friends w/ my daughter and wanted to be sure to invite her friend. (So sweet, it's nice to know her daughter wanted to include mine) :) I told her that since I'm a consultant, I didn't know if I should come. I wouldn't want to make her consultant nervous. I said I felt bad not goingand, cause I'd hate for my daughter to miss out on time spent with the girls from school. I told her that I've heard about "mommy and me" shows and I have been curious to see how a consultant goes about doing one. But I'd be afraid of going and having a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Obviously I'd be in favor of all the products and I love them, so I'd probably have a hard time being silent and not talking about how great the stuff is. :D Again, that might irritate the consultant. But, as it turns out, that evening I might not be able to attend anyway. She was really nice and understanding. I suggested she could ask the consultant and see what she thinks, and I'd double check my husband's work schedule to see if I could come. She said not many people were coming, but she has a lot of outside orders from her work. She was really friendly and I think she felt bad inviting us, not because she didn't want us there, but for fear of making me feel awkward. I'm just relieved she wasn't a consultant! :D

I would have gone anyway. Just try to get ahold of the PC Cons. before hand to let her know. Or you could go and just not say anything about being a cons. In our group we get points for watching other cons. shows.

The invite didn't have the consultant's info on it, so I couldn't contact her directly. I wanted the host to know I was a consultant (cause, hey...she might decide to switch to me someday cause I'm closer or whatever...probably not, but you never know) because I wouldn't be making a purchase and wouldn't want her to think I was rude by going and not buying anything. But really, I don't think I could go anyway. It starts at 7pm tomorrow (she invited us with less than a week's notice) and DH doesn't usually get home till 8 or so. My mom is already tied up with babysitting for my sister then, and I'm not going to pay for a sitter to go to a show. Heck, I don't like to pay for a sitter to be able to do my own show! :D

OK... I'm going to say it. I am rally sorry if I offend anyone, but I just feel compelled.

I think the Mommy & Me idea for the class is genious. But I feel that as a consultant and Mom, the first day or so of school is just tacky. Its like "Let's get 'em all now!" I would think maybe the end of September or October would be better, more appropriate if at all. It could be a fun thing, but its like using kids to get to the Moms. Let's face it, its not like an invitation to a birthday party, its a Pampered Chef show. Maybe its just me. Do other Moms feel this way?

If I knew I had a sitter I would've gone as a Mom with her daughter, for my daughter, and choose not to be a consultant for the evening. Sometimes we have to put our business aside for our children.

BeckyC5830 said:
If I knew I had a sitter I would've gone as a Mom with her daughter, for my daughter, and choose not to be a consultant for the evening. Sometimes we have to put our business aside for our children.

That makes sense.:chef:

And, yes I do feel it's tacky to throw an invitation in the lunch box on the first day of school. It's such a chaotic day anyway. Can't imagine my ten year old coming home after the first day and seeing a list of what my child needs for school in the next few days and what fees I need to pay for which activity and where volunteers are needed, etc., and then to add to it an invitation that one has to respond to. I wonder where on the priority list that invitation will be. I'd be curious to know what the attendance will be for the show.

AJPratt said:
OK... I'm going to say it. I am rally sorry if I offend anyone, but I just feel compelled. I think the Mommy & Me idea for the class is genious. But I feel that as a consultant and Mom, the first day or so of school is just tacky. Its like "Let's get 'em all now!" I would think maybe the end of September or October would be better, more appropriate if at all. It could be a fun thing, but its like using kids to get to the Moms. Let's face it, its not like an invitation to a birthday party, its a Pampered Chef show. Maybe its just me. Do other Moms feel this way?
Yes, I agree with you. I was a bit shocked that someone would do that on the first day. That's why at first when I thought maybe the host was the consultant, I was taken back. I was thinking that was pretty gutsy to make a move like that announcing to everyone you're a consultant on the very first day of school, under the guise of a "mommy and me" party. But I wasn't sure if that was just my reaction since I'm a consultant and was thinking "oh no...competition!" But since finding out she was just a host, I'm not bothered as much. But...that could just be me relieved! :D
BeckyC5830 said:
I can understand what you mean, but the invite was written "Bring a child to help cook!" So it was mainly addressing the moms. It wasn't a class party or a party just for her daughter. She had invited her co-workers and other friends. Plus, after learning that the mom hadn't originally intended for me to get an invitation, I was starting to feel like maybe I wasn't really invited anyway. I know her daughter wanted my daughter, but that was it. So that's another reason why I felt torn.

If she was doing a class get together, that would be great, but its a show. I wouldn't send the invites in with my child, even if it is a Mommy & Me.

Maybe when there is a class event, you can go with some logo wear: bag or shirt or something.

1. What is the "Mommy and Me (Back to School)" event all about?

The "Mommy and Me (Back to School)" event is a fun and interactive cooking class for parents and children to attend together. It focuses on creating easy and healthy back-to-school meals that both kids and adults will love.

2. What types of recipes will be taught during the event?

The recipes taught during the "Mommy and Me (Back to School)" event will include simple and nutritious meals that are perfect for busy school days. Some examples may include homemade granola bars, vegetable-packed pasta dishes, and easy lunchbox ideas.

3. Can I bring more than one child to the event?

Absolutely! The more, the merrier. We encourage parents to bring their children, whether it's one child or multiple, to participate in the cooking and learning together.

4. Do we need to bring any ingredients or equipment to the event?

No, all ingredients and equipment will be provided for the recipes. However, if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please let us know in advance so we can accommodate for them.

5. Is there an age limit for children to participate in the event?

The "Mommy and Me (Back to School)" event is open to children of all ages. However, we recommend that children be at least 5 years old to fully participate and understand the cooking instructions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Dawn4
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD
  • pampchefsarah
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • melissaboyd