• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting My Molten Lava Cake in the Microwave

In summary, the conversation was about making Molten Lava Cake and tips for making it perfectly. Some suggestions included using less frosting, cooking with the lid on, and adding extra frosting on top after cooking. The frosting is meant to go to the bottom of the cake, creating the "lava" effect.
chefnene
I am a brand new consultant and was trying out the Molten Lava Cake as a trial run for my party. I cooked it in the microwave for 10 minutes without the lid. The cake seemed alittle too well done, and all of my icing seemed to be on the side corners of the DCB. Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

I cook mine with the lid on for 11 minutes. Then I take it out and remove the lid and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. It's perfect every time! How much frosting are you using? I don't use the whole can, maybe about 3/4 of it. Some will ooze up and out sometimes, but if I use less frosting, sometimes it's just not enough or the cake is dry.

Thanks, I will try again your way!

Tonight was my first try with the Lava Cake. I only used about 1/2 can of the icing. It was moist & tasted great, but all of the icing went to the bottom. The directions I had was to put "dabs" of it on top of the cake mix & cook in microwave uncovered for 10 minutes. That's what I done, but for some reason it all ended up on the bottom. Is it supposed to?

Yes, the icing is supposed to end up on the bottom. You "dip" the cake out. I serve mine in clear cups w/ colored spoons and a dab of whip topping.

Rhonda-Roo said:
Tonight was my first try with the Lava Cake. I only used about 1/2 can of the icing. It was moist & tasted great, but all of the icing went to the bottom. The directions I had was to put "dabs" of it on top of the cake mix & cook in microwave uncovered for 10 minutes. That's what I done, but for some reason it all ended up on the bottom. Is it supposed to?

The frosting is supposed to do that. That's what gives it the "lava" in the name, you can turn the cake over onto a platter and then all that frosting that was on the bottom will now ooze down the sides of the cake. If I do this in the DCB, then I don't flip it out. I just spoon it out to serve. The frosting going down through the batter as it cooks is what helps it to be a very moist and flavorful cake. :)

Thanks for your replies. I thought I would see it oozing when I took it out of the microwave. I plan on making another one for a show I am doing Monday night. I am going to use strawberry cake mix & cream cheese icing. mmmm I hope it is as good as it sounds. lol

I love making this cake! I have started taking the other half of the frosting and just plopping it on top of the cake when I pull it out to cool, then I spread it out across the top once it's melted. That way if someone gets a piece from the top, they have some icing too! hehe! Everyone loves it!

abigailhutch said:
I love making this cake! I have started taking the other half of the frosting and just plopping it on top of the cake when I pull it out to cool, then I spread it out across the top once it's melted. That way if someone gets a piece from the top, they have some icing too! hehe! Everyone loves it!

I like that idea! Thanks for sharing!

1. Why is my molten lava cake not cooked all the way through?

There could be a few reasons why your cake is not fully cooked in the microwave. One possible reason is that your microwave's power level is too high, causing the edges of the cake to cook faster than the center. Try lowering the power level or cooking the cake for a shorter amount of time. Another reason could be that your mug or ramekin is too large, causing the cake to spread out and not cook evenly. Make sure to use a smaller, microwave-safe dish for best results.

2. How can I prevent my molten lava cake from overflowing in the microwave?

To prevent your cake from overflowing, make sure to follow the recipe's instructions and do not fill the mug or ramekin more than 3/4 full. The cake will rise as it cooks, so leaving some room for expansion is important. You can also try placing a paper towel under the mug or ramekin to catch any potential spills.

3. My molten lava cake is too dry, what can I do?

If your cake is turning out dry, it may be due to overcooking in the microwave. Microwaves vary in power, so it's important to keep an eye on the cake as it cooks and adjust the cooking time accordingly. You can also try adding a tablespoon of water or milk to the batter before cooking to add moisture.

4. Can I use a different type of flour for my molten lava cake?

The type of flour used in the recipe can affect the texture and consistency of the cake. We recommend using all-purpose flour for best results. If you want to use a different type of flour, make sure to check if it is a suitable substitute for baking and adjust the amount used accordingly.

5. Can I make multiple molten lava cakes at once in the microwave?

It is not recommended to cook multiple cakes in the microwave at once, as it can affect the cooking time and result in unevenly cooked cakes. It is best to cook one cake at a time for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • supplyhoarder