• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting a Disappointing Cake: What Did I Do Wrong?

In summary, different methods and cook times can be used to make Molten Lava Cake in different pans, such as the rice cooker, DCB, or a classic mixing bowl. All require using a whole can of frosting and cooking times vary from 8-14 minutes.
Thanks Jill

Cake was a success. I used regular Devils Food (no pudding in the mix) about half a tub of Milk Chocolate frosting .. 11 minutes with the top left off. Tested the cake and it was done. Covered and let it sit 15 minutes. Extremely rich. Served it with Butter Pecan ice cream. The guests went nuts. Sold for 6 DCBs .. I was happy.

Nice Dave! It's a YUMMY dessert and SO easy!! Nice job on the sales!! Did you do a main dish also?

Yes, Jill, I also did the incredible 30 minute chicken. Was another push for the DCB and it paid off. Thanks for your kind words.

Tropicalburstqt2 said:
I don't have the rice cooker or the DCB, but have found that the Classic mixing bowl works quite well!! :)

I would definatley recommend the DCB on your list of "must haves." It is super versitale and always is a hit at my shows! Although, I do love the batter bowls too.

I'm doing this for a get together tonight - hadn't thought about the peanut butter but I'll definitely be adding that! Yum!!

I just made this because I wanted to test it out to see if I wanted to do it for my first show since reactivating. I gotta say, I don't see what all the big fuss is about this recipe. Maybe my taste buds are too "fancy" because I could spend hours in the kitchen and not care.

I was so excited about it. I flipped it out hoping for a "dramatic" presentation but all I got was something that looked like...well....you can see the picture.

As for the taste...well, it tasted like boxed cake and icing. Don't know what I was expecting.

I'm afraid if I do this at a show there won't be "oohs" and "ahhhs". :(

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 422
I have tried this with the fluted stoneware pan and the DCB but both times it overflowed, what a mess. I don't know what the difference is because at my cluster meeting they did it the same and it didn't over flow so not sure what the problem is ?

lauriedip said:
I have tried this with the fluted stoneware pan and the DCB but both times it overflowed, what a mess. I don't know what the difference is because at my cluster meeting they did it the same and it didn't over flow so not sure what the problem is ?

Mine didn't overflow. I used 3/4 the can of frosting, and cooked 10 minutes covered, then 1 minute uncovered.

lauriedip said:
I've heard that if you whip the cake too much, it gets too much air. You want to mix it by HAND, not with the electric mixers/beaters as typically called for in the directions. If you are using the fluted pan- only use about 2/3 the can of frosting. Much more than that and you add too much volume as it bakes.As far as flipping for the presentation, I've heard most say they do NOT flip it when it's in the DCB...it's not as nice. The fluted plan has the shape to it, so it looks a bit better. In the DCB though, just leave it in there and scoop out the gooey chocolate (I prefer while still warm!). And I wouldn't worry about your tastes vs a at a show Keith....even if YOU don't prefer it, I'm sure most guests would be impressed with the simplicity of the recipe and how good it tastes (at least to them).

esavvymom said:
I've heard that if you whip the cake too much, it gets too much air. You want to mix it by HAND, not with the electric mixers/beaters as typically called for in the directions. If you are using the fluted pan- only use about 2/3 the can of frosting. Much more than that and you add too much volume as it bakes.

As far as flipping for the presentation, I've heard most say they do NOT flip it when it's in the DCB...it's not as nice. The fluted plan has the shape to it, so it looks a bit better. In the DCB though, just leave it in there and scoop out the gooey chocolate (I prefer while still warm!). And I wouldn't worry about your tastes vs a at a show Keith....even if YOU don't prefer it, I'm sure most guests would be impressed with the simplicity of the recipe and how good it tastes (at least to them).

It looked pretty crappy while it was in the DCB too. :) I guess I'm just being too nitpicky.

I've used the one with pudding, worked just fine yummy :)

Thank you Bobbi, that's exactly what I did, i used my new kitchenaid mixer and really whipped it up good! I'll try one more time. It still tasted great though, especially warm with ice cream, then they don't care what it looks like!
laurie

leftymac said:
It looked pretty crappy while it was in the DCB too. :) I guess I'm just being too nitpicky.

Yeah...either way- it's not a cake you take somewhere. I just like it for a quick "company's coming dessert to the rescue" sort of thing. :) After tasting it, no one ever complains about how it looks.

esavvymom said:
Yeah...either way- it's not a cake you take somewhere. I just like it for a quick "company's coming dessert to the rescue" sort of thing. :) After tasting it, no one ever complains about how it looks.

I sold 8 DCBs at one show on Friday! I made mini BBQ chicken sandwiches and the chocolate peanut butter microwave cake (I don't call it a "dump" cake). While they ate the BBQ, I rinsed out the DCB, poured in the cake batter (yep, mixed by hand with the whisk) plopped in half a can of chocolate frosting and almost the same amount of smooth peanut butter using the small scoop. Microwaved uncovered for 11 minutes. It was awesome! They watched it rise through the oven door and loved that the chicken and the cake were cooked in the same dish and there was no "chicken" flavor in the cake.​

leftymac said:

I think the presentation only works if you use the Stoneware Fluted Pan. I made it and served it directly from the DCB with a nice large serving spoon. I don't have the Fluted Pan, I guess I'll have to get it to try out the presentation.

RMDave said:
I think the presentation only works if you use the Stoneware Fluted Pan. I made it and served it directly from the DCB with a nice large serving spoon. I don't have the Fluted Pan, I guess I'll have to get it to try out the presentation.

Dave, what did your guests think of it? Were they "wow"ed by it?

leftymac said:
Dave, what did your guests think of it? Were they "wow"ed by it?

They loved it. They weren't 'Wow'd!" by the presentation since there was no presentation. They loved the flavor and the fact that it was the perfect dessert to serve when unexpected guests dropped by. I mean 2 minutes to mix, 11-12 minutes to Zap, 10 minute resting, dish it up with some cherry vanilla ice cream, pour'm coffee, they're in and out in 60 minutes flat and I can go back to watching "Law & Order" reruns.

D

Chef Gilles said:
Well I've been hearing about the Molten Lava cake for so long and just tried it last Sunday. I did it in the Rice Cooker (mixed everything in the cooker), put half a can of chocolate icing and put the lid on but only snapped it on one side and cooked it in the micro wave for 8 minutes and there it was.....a nice chocolate cake with gooey good chocolate sauce running down from it. It was sooo easy....I did it again at a how that evening... and I do flip it out

I have a customer who tried this and it overflowed...I've never done it in the RCP, only the fluted pan, so I had no feedback. I think she may have used the whole can...could this be her problem?

Word of my "molten chocolate cake" has spread. LOL. Yes it was a success last Thursday evening .. so here's the hitch.I just got called from a host who "Wants the cake! Wants the cake! Wants the cake!" but hates chocolate. Huh? Just hates it.Since microwaves aren't going to brown a cake, what cake other than the "dreaded and detested" chocolate should I use. I've been thinking about using a spice cake mix (if I can find one ... they aren't fashionable here in the California desert) and maybe cream cheese frosting. I'm going to make in the DCB so I'm not going to worry about what it looks like turned out. Obviously I will dish it up from the Baker. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Hates chocolate? What kind of rube is this person?

Chefstover2 said:
I have a customer who tried this and it overflowed...I've never done it in the RCP, only the fluted pan, so I had no feedback. I think she may have used the whole can...could this be her problem?
My guess- she whipped the cake with a mixer. You have to HAND mix the cake batter. Otherwise, too much air gets into the mix and it WILL overflow. (I read this from something with the Test Kitchen). If she's using the Fluted Stone- then you only want to use about 2/3 of the frosting. Using the DCB, I think you can use the whole can and be ok.....but the Mixing is my first guess about the cake. Instructions on the cake say to use electric mixer- but you want to do it by hand.
RMDave said:
Word of my "molten chocolate cake" has spread. LOL. Yes it was a success last Thursday evening .. so here's the hitch.I just got called from a host who "Wants the cake! Wants the cake! Wants the cake!" but hates chocolate. Huh? Just hates it.Since microwaves aren't going to brown a cake, what cake other than the "dreaded and detested" chocolate should I use. I've been thinking about using a spice cake mix (if I can find one ... they aren't fashionable here in the California desert) and maybe cream cheese frosting. I'm going to make in the DCB so I'm not going to worry about what it looks like turned out. Obviously I will dish it up from the Baker. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Hates chocolate? What kind of rube is this person?
Dave- look in the files for "Microwave Cakes". There are several versions/formats...but they have several recipe combinations and flavors to try...including one for the spice cake I think. They usually are for the Fluted Stone- but should work in the DCB too. You might be able to search for the DCB Recipe collection and see if there are cakes in that too. If I can find the link, I'll let you know.Here is the Microwave Cake document I was thinking of.There are others, so another may appeal to you....
http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachme...de-show-12-minute-miracle-microwave-cakes.doc
or this one: http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachments/f6/15287-thanksgiving-microwavecakerecipes-2-.doc

Last edited:
I thought about trying a lemon boxed cake mix, cream cheese frosting and some of the new lemon sprinkles. Might be good... might not! LOL

esavvymom said:
My guess- she whipped the cake with a mixer. You have to HAND mix the cake batter. Otherwise, too much air gets into the mix and it WILL overflow. (I read this from something with the Test Kitchen). If she's using the Fluted Stone- then you only want to use about 2/3 of the frosting. Using the DCB, I think you can use the whole can and be ok.....but the Mixing is my first guess about the cake. Instructions on the cake say to use electric mixer- but you want to do it by hand.

Thanks, I'll tell her about the mixer part.

BTW, I always use a whole can of icing in my fluted pan and have never had it overflow (there is, after all, no such thing as too much icing :D)

Thanks to Bobbi and Jill for their thoughtful (insightful?) suggestions. The last thing I want is for the flavors not to work together. Perhaps a peanut butter cake with sardine frosting? NOT!

RMDave said:
Thanks to Bobbi and Jill for their thoughtful (insightful?) suggestions. The last thing I want is for the flavors not to work together. Perhaps a peanut butter cake with sardine frosting? NOT!
don't use cream cheese frosting. it will disinegrate into the cake. also whipped frostings don't work for the same reason. but any other regular kind will do. good luck!

I've done it a few times and again this weekend in the Batter bowl.
dump it upside down and is shaped and looks exactly like a volcano with lava pouring out :)
microwave for 10 minutes w/ the frosting stuffed down in the center

Orange Chef said:
don't use cream cheese frosting. it will disinegrate into the cake. also whipped frostings don't work for the same reason. but any other regular kind will do. good luck!

Thanks for the advice. So much for Cream Cheese Frosting.

Thanks for the heads up on the cream cheese frosting!!

brendaziz said:
I've done it a few times and again this weekend in the Batter bowl.
dump it upside down and is shaped and looks exactly like a volcano with lava pouring out :)
microwave for 10 minutes w/ the frosting stuffed down in the center

Are you saying we shouldn't just use the medium scoop to drop the frosting on top and let it travel on its own during the baking? Will the Classic Batter Bowl support a regular size box of cake mix?

I use funfetti cake mix and rainbow chip icing for my non-chocolate lovers. My brother is one of the chocolate haters and I just don't get it!

What about vanilla icing with the lemon cake?"It's not a cake you take somewhere"I disagree ... I am taking the cake (literally) to my family's "girl's night" on Friday. I don't have much time so I'm going to dash home ... mix the cake, pour into the DCB, toss in a whole can of frosting and a few scoops of peanut butter, nuke for 11 minutes, stick the lid on, put in the tote and dash out the door! It can "rest" while I'm driving! I may sprinkle with some powdered sugar and mocha sprinkles!

RMDave said:
Are you saying we shouldn't just use the medium scoop to drop the frosting on top and let it travel on its own during the baking? Will the Classic Batter Bowl support a regular size box of cake mix?

I'm sure that that would work also. I just kinda spoon it down to the center and the cake mix covers it up.
And yes- supports a regular box of cake mix. So easy mixing and baking in 1 thing. It will rise above the level of the bowl though- but dont get worried. Freaked me out teh first time- but it's solid on top as it's rising so it won't spill over or anything. :)

No spraying with veg oil required huh? And it turns out on a serving platter okay? I may try it for at home use but I'd rather use the DCB at parties.

brendaziz said:
I'm sure that that would work also. I just kinda spoon it down to the center and the cake mix covers it up.
And yes- supports a regular box of cake mix. So easy mixing and baking in 1 thing. It will rise above the level of the bowl though- but dont get worried. Freaked me out teh first time- but it's solid on top as it's rising so it won't spill over or anything. :)

yes, but it doesn't cost $69.:)

doughmama said:
yes, but it doesn't cost $69.:)

Yes it does Patty! Thank goodness.

Customer wants this recipe -- she bought the DCB just to make it at her next gathering. Does anybody have this recipe written out?

I've had Non-Chocolate hosts before. There's some sort of cherry-chip cake that works great with white icing. Strawberry cake and white icing is also good.
I think we even did a German chocolate with the coconut icing, and it was good, too. (interesting!, but good)
I guess I'm kind of like Garfield with lasagna: I haven't met a lava cake I didn't like!

cakepampered said:
Customer wants this recipe -- she bought the DCB just to make it at her next gathering. Does anybody have this recipe written out?

Here's my award winning (among my friends) version:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Microwave Cake

Ingredients:
18.25 oz. box of Devil's Food cake mix* plus eggs, oil, water
Half a container of chocolate frosting (not whipped)
Smooth Peanut Butter

Directions:
Mix cake batter in Classic Batter Bowl using stainless steel whisk per package directions. Lightly grease bottom of Deep Covered Baker using silicone basting brush and vegetable oil. Pour cake mix into Deep Covered Baker. Using small stainless steel scoop, drop scoops of chocolate frosting on top of batter; intersperse with scoops of smooth peanut butter (about the same number of scoops as the frosting). Microwave uncovered for 11 minutes. (Ovens under 1000 watts may need more time.) Cake should spring back when touched lightly in center. Use a large spoon to serve the cake and the underlying chocolate peanut butter goodness.
*Use a cake with pudding in the mix for best results.

This was a big hit with my family ... though we all brought so much that half of it came home with me. I only used about 5-6 scoops of peanut butter and the whole can of frosting and it was perfect. But don't bother with powdered sugar ... it melt and you can't see it anyway.

Ok so for whomever has tried a pie filling with the molten cake... do you just add that on top like the frosting??? Please let me know I am trying this out tonight. Thanks

Hi, joeswife. Why don't you try it with the pie filling and let us know how it turns out?

There is a thread about doing the pie filling dump cakes. I'd have to do a search to find it, though. But if you look in the DCB file, it has TONS of recipes and one of them is the pie filling dump cake one. Also, it should be found if you do a search for Michael Reeves DCB bundle or Dinnertime in No time sets.

I do the pie filling one. I put the cake mix, then pie filling, then frosting. I use the entire tub of frosting and entire can of pie filling. I've done a bunch of combos of cake mix, filling and frosting. I did use crushed pineapple once. What I did with that was pour the pineapple in a strainer to get the extra juice out of it. I didn't try to get it all out, but just the excess. I did it before without draining it and the inside was too gummy.

I've found the the best cake in dunkin' Hines devils food cake... I've tried vanilla frosting with strawberry cake (wanted to add chocolate ice cream for a chocolate covered strawberry) and all I can say "STAY AWAY" something with the vanilla frosting and cooking it smelled like eggs :(

If you cook the cake too long then the gooey inside cooks too much and you do not get the extra liquid.

Ok so I tried it out and it was great. I used golden cake mix, apple pie pilling and vanilla frosting, I started with 12 minutes but it really needed an extra minute. It was a hit and there was a lot of the "sauce" on the bottom to top the cake with. So good. For my show tonight we are doing chocolate cake and frosting with either cherry or raspberry pie filling. Should be delish!

Last night I used Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix with Cream Cheese frosting. Oh my gosh! My husband and I would have ate that whole cake but we restrained ourselves!

Love that Rice Cooker Plus!

Glad you said that... someone else cautioned against the cream cheese frosting and said that it was absorbed by the cake. Which was disappointing to me as I love that kind of frosting. So I will need to try that out. Thanks

I have a host tonight who got a white cake mix and chocolate frosting. I wonder...has anyone tried the spicy pineapple rum sauce in the cake??

Once you make the lava cake in the DCB, if you have leftovers, how do you store it? Just put the lid back on and leave it on the counter overnight?

msmileyface said:
Once you make the lava cake in the DCB, if you have leftovers, how do you store it? Just put the lid back on and leave it on the counter overnight?

Yep, that's what I do. That's one of the benefits of making it in the DCB. ;)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • AnnieBee
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • LeanneB.