• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting a Disappointing Cake: What Did I Do Wrong?

In summary, different methods and cook times can be used to make Molten Lava Cake in different pans, such as the rice cooker, DCB, or a classic mixing bowl. All require using a whole can of frosting and cooking times vary from 8-14 minutes.
jnsr96
Ok, I have been researching all of the ideas... Just practiced and mixed cake as per directions, put into sprayed DCB, and scooped (Medium) 5 scoops of chocolate frosting. Cooked uncovered 11 minutes. Waited 5 minutes and turned it out onto platter... Not a huge amount of lava... a little disappointed with it being just ok... What did I do wrong?! TIA:grumpy:

I use a whole can of frosting! The more chocolate the better!:love:

Somebody said on here that it would be watery if you use the whole can? But thanks! You follow everything the way I wrote? I am so persistent because the show is tomorrow night and I don't want to mess it up!:yuck: Thanks!

I think that if you're making it in the Fluted Stone you can't use the whole can because it'll overflow, but the DCB is bigger so it's probably okay...

Ok, so I made this at my show in the DCB ( used the whole can of frosting)...Tasted awesome but actually looked like it "fell" Not very pretty... Oh well- I sold 2 DCB's anyway :) Thanks for all of the input!

I always use the DCB with the lid ON for this recipe and I use the whole can of frosting. 12 minutes in the micro usually does the trick. I don't turn it out, just scoop from the baker.

Do you spray or use a little bit of oil and the basting brush when you do it in the DCB?

It turned out of the pan fine... not as pretty as the fluted pan would be, but I still sold a DCB... I sprayed it down with veg oil using the spritzer too... It would probably work out better just scooping it out though... I sprinkled it with powdered sugar to make it "pretty" :)

I have found that some cakes and frostings are more lava-y than others. But so far the impact has been the same at all my shows and everyone loves it. Even the one when I learned that you cannot used whipped frosting - it created craters in the cake and didn't melt quite as well, but I sold 3 or 4 DCBs that night and that was the only thing I made in it!

I don't turn it out either, just scoop and serve. Chocolate cake oozing with liquidy frosting appeals to most women LOL so they don't seem to care that it's "pretty" or not, just that it's quick and sooo yummy.

I use the fluted stone and use the whole can of frosting 11:30 in my microwave. 15 min to cool and delicious cake here I come.

so wait, molten cake in the DCB - cover on or off? and for how long? I'm confused and want to try this at a show I have on Monday. Thanks!

doughmama said:
so wait, molten cake in the DCB - cover on or off? and for how long? I'm confused and want to try this at a show I have on Monday. Thanks!

I just did it tonight for the first time in the DCB. I made my chocolate cake as normal, scooped the whole can of frosting onto it. Put the lid ON (as other poster mentioned), and cooked it in the microwave for 12 minutes.

It came out very moist! Amazingly, there wasn't alot of chocolate on the bottom! Just a very little bit- but enough. It's so rich! I don't understand how the same cake/icing can be SO much richer and heavier than when you make a regular cake the "old fashioned way". :D

I'm planning to do this cake in the fluted pan at a show tomorrow evening. How long do I let it sit before flipping it? Other cakes I know you flip immediately but leave the pan on for 10 min.

I finally made this last night. It was really good! I used devil's food mix and milk chocolate frosting and there was a fair amount of gooey chocolate in the bottom. Next time I think I will try it with vanilla frosting. It wasn't the prettiest cake I have made but it is so easy to always keep cake mix & frosting on hand for when you need (or just want) something sweet & gooey.

On another thread someone recommended putting 1 cup of peanut butter in it as well..so I do a can of frosting and 1 cup of peanut butter..and it is SO GOOD. I do it in the DCB and do not flip it out..I did it at a show last night..and everyone loved it..but I think serving it with Vanilla Ice Cream is a MUST

shorelinecef said:
I always use the DCB with the lid ON for this recipe and I use the whole can of frosting. 12 minutes in the micro usually does the trick. I don't turn it out, just scoop from the baker.

Same here.

serve it out of the DCB never heard of it being flipped out! I so use the whole can of frosting and I dont even spray the DCB! I also dont even mix in a seperate bowl! I mix all wet ingredients in the DCB then scoop out the icing then cook! Makes a big TADAH! all in one. mix, cook, serve! Worth every penny!

Well I've been hearing about the Molten Lava cake for so long and just tried it last Sunday. I did it in the Rice Cooker (mixed everything in the cooker), put half a can of chocolate icing and put the lid on but only snapped it on one side and cooked it in the micro wave for 8 minutes and there it was.....a nice chocolate cake with gooey good chocolate sauce running down from it. It was sooo easy....I did it again at a how that evening... and I do flip it out

I don't have the rice cooker or the DCB, but have found that the Classic mixing bowl works quite well!! :)

The first time I did this recipe it was with the insert and the lid and it came out find in about 10 minutes. I did let it rest for about 5 minutes before turning it over, though. The second time, per my executive directors instructions, I did it without the lid for 10 minutes and I let it rest for 5, too, and it came out OK.

I found it a little scary cooking it without the lids because when I took it out it looked a little runny, but it was the frosting... It still scared me. I thought it was not cooked thoroughly, but it was.

I use the rice cooker and the cake turn out great and I sold 10 rice cookers a the show last night.

Hi!! Can this or the pb dump cake be make in the reg oven. If so what temp and how long.. Making soup in dcb and want to do cake in rec baker.

Thanks

Can the lava cake or chocolate peanut butter dump cake be made in oven and will retangular baker work for it.

Need for a show, i'm already doing soup on the micro with dcb

thanks

what is the best cake to use and frosting used to make this cake? also, i will need all the ingredients on the back of the box to make the cake and that is it, right? 12 mins in DCB? Thank you in advance!

I have made the lava cake twice, but each time was different. At my open house, my director made it with chocolate cake mix (already in DCB mixed with ingredients box calls for), can cherry pie filling, entire container of chocolate frosting. WONDERFUL!I have a party tomorrow and the host had another idea. I tried it the other night before her show! German chocolate cake mix, crushed pineapple (put in the strainer to get excess juice off, but left pineapple moist), and top with container of pecan/coconut frosting. WOW is all I can say. My director said that any type of cake/frosting combo would work, and now I am playing with fruit fillings! The peanut butter idea mentioned sounds wonderful as well!

I made this last night with chocolate cake and chocolate frosting and it worked wonderfully, except some of the frosting leaked out of the DCB. The host and guests didn't seem to mind at all when they saw, but anyone know why that might have happened? It didn't happen when we made it at home a few weeks ago.

Can some one print the lava cake rice cooker receipe

thanks

jnsr96 said:
Ok, I have been researching all of the ideas... Just practiced and mixed cake as per directions, put into sprayed DCB, and scooped (Medium) 5 scoops of chocolate frosting. Cooked uncovered 11 minutes. Waited 5 minutes and turned it out onto platter... Not a huge amount of lava... a little disappointed with it being just ok... What did I do wrong?! TIA:grumpy:

I believe the mistake was you cooked it "uncovered" and use all the frosting it turns out absolutely wonderful.

ejuliano said:
I have made the lava cake twice, but each time was different. At my open house, my director made it with chocolate cake mix (already in DCB mixed with ingredients box calls for), can cherry pie filling, entire container of chocolate frosting. WONDERFUL!

I have a party tomorrow and the host had another idea. I tried it the other night before her show! German chocolate cake mix, crushed pineapple (put in the strainer to get excess juice off, but left pineapple moist), and top with container of pecan/coconut frosting. WOW is all I can say.

My director said that any type of cake/frosting combo would work, and now I am playing with fruit fillings! The peanut butter idea mentioned sounds wonderful as well!

Is that the 20 oz size can of pineapple ??

I suggest to my customers to use the Rice Cooker for their cakes when they are making a trifle. Of course I do it without the icing. Instead of cubing the cake for the trifle, I just cut it horizontally and place the cake rounds as the cake layer. In no time you have a trifle made for unexpected guests.

I cook mine in the Deep Covered Baker for 8 minutes on HIGH with the lid on - always comes out perfect. And it is a big WOW for your guests. I serve it right out of the Deep Covered Baker.

Has anyone heard of making this cake in the DCB, but in the oven? I had a guest ask because she doesn't own a microwave, but bought the DCB anyways for the oven recipes.

I've been making this a few hours before my show to use in my Chocolate Bliss show when I make the Black Forest Trifle. I use a whisk to mix the cake just until it's not too lumpy, dump it in a oil misted DCB, top evenly with a whole can of icing using small scoop and bake 11 minutes. I do 11 minutes because I want it to be a little less gooey. I take this at room temperature and cut out adding the extra liquid to the cherry filling.
When making this cake to eat warm with ice cream I only do 10 minutes so it's extra gooey and stays moist days later...if I forget it's in the house and find it later.

I have done this at my last 4 shows and a few times at home and have never used the lid. Microwave it for 10-11 minutes and have never had any issues with it. Weird the different methods/times. :D

I just tried this tonight with RAVE reviews from the family!

Devils food cake mix, mixed in the DCB per package, topped with Milk Chocolate Frosting, microwaved 12 minutes WITH lid and it came out perfect!

We didn't flip it, and I am sure it would have made a mess had I tried doing that. We just scooped from the baker and put over vanilla ice cream.

Can't wait to start experimenting with other flavors. Maybe white cake with strawberry frosting served with fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream? YUMMY!

cochef said:
Is that the 20 oz size can of pineapple ??

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Life has thrown me a couple curve balls and I'm having a hard time with a catalog show.

I want to say it is the 20 oz can. It is the standard canned fruit size...

So many comments. So many variations. Not one complete, detailed recipe that has been proven numerous times in the DCB. Help! I have a host who has asked specifically for this recipe next weekend. I need time to make it once and make sure it works properly.

Can someone help?

Please, don't assume that everybody knows every recipe referenced on this support-website. I searched PamperedChef for the recipe .. nothing. Does anybody have the actual proven recipe?

Thanks!

RMDave said:
So many comments. So many variations. Not one complete, detailed recipe that has been proven numerous times in the DCB. Help! I have a host who has asked specifically for this recipe next weekend. I need time to make it once and make sure it works properly.

Can someone help?

Please, don't assume that everybody knows every recipe referenced on this support-website. I searched PamperedChef for the recipe .. nothing. Does anybody have the actual proven recipe?

Thanks!

There isn't an official recipe for this. It's something that we all just have experimented with. Microwaves vary in their power, so the timing is slightly different for some.

Which cake version are you looking for? If you go to the files section and type in Rice Cooker Plus, you'll find a recipe file that has a recipe for a Molten Lava Cake.

Which pan are you wanting to use? The fluted stone, rice cooker, or the DCB. If you use the DCB, you can either flip it out onto a serving platter and the melted frosting will ooze down the top and sides of the cake, or you can keep it in the baker and just scoop out the servings.

I make the Chocolate Peanut Butter cake a lot at home and at shows. The way I make it is:

1 box of chocolate cake (any variety: milk chocolate, devil's food, etc)
the ingredients listed on the box to make the cake: eggs, oil, water
1 cup of creamy Peanut Butter
1 can of chocolate frosting (not the "whipped" kind)

I spray the baker with oil, then mix up the cake mix in a batter bowl or stainless steel bowl. Pour the batter in the baker. Open the can of frosting and then use the medium scoop and scoop the frosting and plop it on top of the batter, trying to evenly space out the frosting blobs. (I don't use the entire container of frosting-but just about, because in some microwaves it is too much and it will ooze out of the baker and drip down and make a mess of their turntable.) Then, measure 1 cup peanut butter in the Measure-All cup. Use the scoop again and put blobs in between the spaces of the frosting.

Put the lid on the baker and put it in the microwave for 12 minutes. Take it out, take off the lid and just test to see if the cake is done. It should be spongy to the touch and you'll see liquid stuff all on the bottom and sides. It's not pretty, but it tastes great. I usually let it sit uncovered on the counter for at least 15/20 minutes. Then we just scoop out the servings. Some vanilla ice cream goes great with it, or a glass of milk. It's so yummy and very rich.

The great thing about keeping it in the baker is that it stays warm. Plus, if there's leftovers, you can cover it with the lid.

I hope that helps! Good luck with it!

I do the recipe just as 'babywings' said except I don't put the lid on. I've made it at least 10 times and it has turned out perfectly each time. I did the peanut butter a few times but for shows just do the frosting. You can add some peanut butter chips or chocolate chips for fun. I also use about 3/4 of a can of frosting - not the whipped.

Good luck! Try it out at home first and see how you like it!

I am planning on making the cake in the DCB. Somebody said NOT to use the cake mix that has pudding in it. Of course the box I bought hid the phrase (contains pudding so your cake will be moist) and I didn't see it until I got home. Should I get another box of cake mix or is it okay to use a mix with pudding in it?Thanks for all your help.

Oh Jillmami, congrats on your sales. My 90 days was up on 2/4/10, also! I guess we're no longer the "babies" in the group.

I've been afraid to make these until now. Is it just the regular stuff that goes in a cake with the cake or do you have to use sour cream? And do you scoop or spread the peanut butter?

No sour cream - just the directions for the regular cake according to the back of the box. I just plopped a few spoonfuls of peanut butter in with the frosting. My family prefers it without peanut butter so I just use frosting now.

Thanks RMDave! Congrats to you as well in finishing your first 90 days!!

Ended 90 with $7060 in sales so I'm happy. Its a good start.

RMDave said:

No, that is an AWESOME start!​

Thanks Leslie!

RMDave said:

Way to go! That's fantastic!

babywings76 said:
Way to go! That's fantastic!

Thanks for the cheerleading, Amanda!

OK. Here goes. I'm making this recipe on Thursday evening and am getting sorta mixed signals. Cake mix WITH or WITHOUT pudding in it?

I have always used WITHOUT pudding. Just regular old cake mix.

Good luck!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • AnnieBee
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg