1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Mojito Torte question for bakers :)

1. aksusan

aksusan Member

Probably a stupid question, but just in case...the recipe calls for mint extract. I have peppermint extract. The grocery store didn't have anything besides peppermint. Is there a difference? (wondering if the flavor or intensity is different).

thanks

May 7, 2009
  2. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

ooh, no. DO NOT get the peppermint. WAY too strong. The MINT they are looking for is true mint and it just says MINT. (spearmint) I found it at Walmart

3. tlag1986

tlag1986 Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree with Sharon peppermint is to strong.

May 8, 2009
  4. aksusan

aksusan Member

Thank you so much. I'll see if I can make a trip to Walmart today to find it. I can't believe the regular grocery store didn't have that.

:)

May 8, 2009
  5. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I know it's late now for aksusan, but I just made the cake, and I too found out after I started that I only had Peppermint extract, when I thought I had mint. I didn't realize there was a difference either. My neighbor didn't have any, and I didn't want to go to the store just for mint extract, so I substituted just 1/8 tsp of Peppermint extract for the 1/2 tsp Mint extract. I didn't notice any strong peppermint flavor and it was quite delicious (the filling...haven't eaten the whole cake yet). I was licking the bowl/spoons and loving it! :D Now, I don't know if the peppermint extract made any change and if I could have just left it out, but I thought it was very delicious and the lime flavor was so good! So if you DO use Peppermint- I would try 1/8 tsp.

May 18, 2009
  6. aksusan

aksusan Member

good to know. thank you for the info.

I did make a trip to the store and found the LAST bottle of plain mint extract. Got RAVE reviews from all on the torte! Will definitely make it again.

May 18, 2009
  7. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

So I took my torte to my cluster meeting last night. One of the ladies said she had made the cake for her bridge group and they all thought her torte tasted like Toothpaste- becuase of the mint. So I would suggest using sparingly to taste! You can always add more but you can't take it away! :D I personally loved my recipe version last night- it was all about the lime, baby! and it was GOOOD. Several tried my recipe last night and loved it.

May 19, 2009
Have something to add?