• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Burning Mini Muffins: Help Needed!

the dough should be quite sticky, so it will stick to the pan. I also put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan before I put the dough in.I've never thought of it being a dark pan. I'll have to watch for the baking instructions for the darker pans.
Chef Diane
I have used my mini muffin pan a few times now and everything burns in it. I have adjusted time but doesn't seem to work. Do I have a defective pan or is there something else I can try?

Any input would be helpful.

Chef Diane said:
I have used my mini muffin pan a few times now and everything burns in it. I have adjusted time but doesn't seem to work. Do I have a defective pan or is there something else I can try?

Any input would be helpful.

Try putting it on a higher shelf or also, I have read that because it is a dark pan that you should lower the oven temp by 25 degrees. Hope this helps:)

Or be like me and put the mini muffin pan on top of a stone.

tlennhoff said:
Or be like me and put the mini muffin pan on top of a stone.

Gasp! :eek: It says right in the stoneware use and care not to put other cooking vessels on top of a stone.

I agree with the advice to put the pan further away from the heating element and to lower the temp. Check them a couple of minutes early, too, if you know that things have a tendency to burn.

Great ideasI've never thought of it being a dark pan. I'll have to watch for the baking instructions for the darker pans. Maybe now we'll be able to eat our brownie bites lol ;)

The first time I baked muffins in them I found them to be burnt but I didnt read the instructions that the timing is different. I usually keep a watch on them from now on and so far everything has turned out fantastic! did you know they even have the little cupcake papers for the mini muffin pan? So cute! I baked cupcakes in them and frosted them. They were a hit.

But just watch the time. I think for cupcakes maybe 7 min on regular temperature was good. But that was w/ the silicone baker in the oven at the same time.

yes, know about the papers...but I buy PC so I don't have to us those papers. For as much as I bake vs the cost of the papers, not worth it.

Mine burn too...thanks for the tips though...I have got to try turning down the heat!

Chef Diane said:
yes, know about the papers...but I buy PC so I don't have to us those papers. For as much as I bake vs the cost of the papers, not worth it.

OH I agree, I dont use the papers all the time. My husband saw them and bought them so I used them. Turned out cute. Just wanted to share! :)

chefann said:
Gasp! :eek: It says right in the stoneware use and care not to put other cooking vessels on top of a stone.

I've had no problems so far. I wonder why they recommend against it? It has made a big difference on my challah to use the challah (bread) pans on top of the stoneware.

TinasKitchen said:
OH I agree, I dont use the papers all the time. My husband saw them and bought them so I used them. Turned out cute. Just wanted to share! :)

lol the things are hubbys do thinking they're helping :D

tlennhoff said:
I've had no problems so far. I wonder why they recommend against it? It has made a big difference on my challah to use the challah (bread) pans on top of the stoneware.

Tasha, I think it's because stacking increases the likelihood of too many thermal differences. That's just a theory, though. If you really wanted to know, the product development dept might be able to give you a real answer. :)

chefann said:
Tasha, I think it's because stacking increases the likelihood of too many thermal differences. That's just a theory, though. If you really wanted to know, the product development dept might be able to give you a real answer. :)

LOL. I suspect I could wait weeks to get an answer from the product development dept as i'd contact them by email. I think they are 2 weeks behind in answering most of my general email questions. Obviously anything urgent I call them about.

Tasha, what difference do you find doing your Challah that way? Do you bake your bread in a stone to begin with, and put it on another stone, or are there special pans for Challah? I have the recipe you posted here - and I keep thinking I'm going to try it - a bit scared, because I don't seem to have much luck with yeast breads.....but I LOVE Challah bread, and it's hard finding it here.

I have special oval metal pans for baking challah similar to http://thekoshercook.com/ovcapansetpf1.html which I put on the rectangular or round stone. I've baked the challah in the pie pan by simply rolling the dough out into a "snake" and then "snaked it around" until it was a round shape that fit in the pie pan. I've done a bunch of round "rolls" with the challah dough & put them in the pie pan until they filled it which creates what is called a "pull-apart" challah that is very pretty and a lot easier to do than shaping the dough. I've baked the challah in the loaf pans and it came out excellent tasting but I like the oval shape better. I have baked it directly on the rectangular and also the round "pizza" stone doing several small loaves and leaving space but I've found that it "spreads" a bit and I don't care for the shape as much.

I am terrified of yeast breads but decided I needed to learn to do this. I have found that experience makes all the difference. Yeast bread is as much an art as a science and each time it uses a different amount of flour and liquids to get it to the right consistency.

Thanks Tasha! I appreciate your help and encouragement!

Update!?!?!I made mini muffins tonight and followed the dark pan directions, it worked :eek:

thanks for the tips ladies. Now I have another question. My muffins are a nice golden brown, but I couldnt get them out of the pan. I greased, should I not have. I did not use the spritzer as mine is not spraying, just brushed on some oil. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

I use Pam for Baking, or Bakers Joy, they have flour in them. Muffins pop right out

Or you can use the baker's secret (or whatever people call it) that's easy to mix up: equal parts each flour, shortening and oil (not EVOO). Mix them up and use it to brush on any time a recipe calls for greasing or greasing and flouring a pan. Store leftovers in a tightly covered container in the fridge.

How long does this stay for?

is the flour the key here? I don't normally flour when baking a cake, too much of a mess. I guess I'll get a can of baking spray and keep it for such occassions. Thanks ladies.

jenniferknapp said:
How long does this stay for?

I've had it still be good several months later when kept in the fridge. The fresher the oil is when you make it, the longer you have before you have to worry about it going rancid. And you can make a smaller batch (1/4 cup each instead of 1 cup). Let it come to room temp to be a little more "brushable" and it's fine.

I think it's the flour in this mix that's the real trick to it. But it's easier to brush on one thing (the mixture) than to brush with shortening and then sprinkle with flour.

What could be causing my mini muffins to burn?

There are a few potential reasons for your mini muffins burning. It could be due to a malfunctioning oven, inaccurate oven temperature, or overfilling the muffin cups. It could also be because the oven rack is too close to the heat source or the baking time is too long. We recommend checking the oven temperature with an oven thermometer and adjusting the baking time accordingly.

How can I prevent my mini muffins from burning in the future?

To prevent your mini muffins from burning, make sure to accurately measure your ingredients and follow the recipe instructions. Use an oven thermometer to ensure the oven is at the correct temperature. You can also try using a lighter-colored or non-stick muffin pan and adjusting the oven rack to be further from the heat source. It may also help to reduce the baking time slightly.

Can I salvage my burnt mini muffins?

If your mini muffins are only slightly burnt, you can try trimming off the burnt edges and serving them. If they are significantly burnt, unfortunately, they may not be salvageable. We recommend starting fresh with a new batch of mini muffins.

How can I make sure my oven is functioning properly?

To ensure your oven is functioning properly, you can use an oven thermometer to check the temperature. You can also try baking other items in the oven to see if they cook evenly and without burning. If you suspect your oven is malfunctioning, it may be best to have it professionally inspected or repaired.

What other factors could be causing my mini muffins to burn?

In addition to oven-related issues, other factors that could contribute to your mini muffins burning include using dark or non-stick muffin pans, using a convection setting, or baking at high altitudes. It's important to consider all of these factors when troubleshooting burnt mini muffins.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cookingwithdawn
  • Jamie Gaffney
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jamie Gaffney
  • KayPT
  • Products and Tips
Replies