• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Crazy Cake Mix Sizes: My Strange SB Recipe Experience

In summary, the conversation discusses a recipe from Starbucks that calls for a 9 oz/250g yellow cake mix. The participants discuss the existence of this size of cake mix and the use of a non-standard size in the recipe. They also mention the Jiffy brand of cake mix, which is 9 oz, and its availability in different stores. Some people suggest splitting a standard size cake mix in half to use in the recipe, and one person shares their positive experience with another recipe that uses a 9 oz box of cake mix. The use of smaller cake mixes by HO is also mentioned for cost and sizing reasons. Finally, one participant mentions using a scale to accurately split a standard size cake mix.
esavvymom
Staff member
Ok- so I know the recipe isn't officially out there, but I have a photo of the recipe from the SB coming out.

Just a warning....the recipe calls for "1 pkg (9oz/250g) yellow cake mix".
I'm sorry...am I just ignorant, but does that size of a cake mix exist??? I was mixing it all up and the instructions say it would be very thick because it just has 1 egg, some allspice, and 2 T of oil in it at this point. Ok...thick is the understatement of the year! Then I realized, a standard yellow cake mix box is 18 oz- NOT 9 oz....so I'm going to double it, but was just wondering if such a size even exists?? Why use a non-standard size....so just thought I'd point that out for you when you try it or recommend it.

I'll post how they turn out when I'm done. :D

Jiffy, I believe has that size pk.

Is this one of those Jiffy mix type of cake mixes? They are smaller. I think the Mock Lemon Meringue Cake people were pointing out to use the smaller Jiffy mix size box.

esavvymom said:
Ok- so I know the recipe isn't officially out there, but I have a photo of the recipe from the SB coming out.

Just a warning....the recipe calls for "1 pkg (9oz/250g) yellow cake mix".
I'm sorry...am I just ignorant, but does that size of a cake mix exist??? I was mixing it all up and the instructions say it would be very thick because it just has 1 egg, some allspice, and 2 T of oil in it at this point. Ok...thick is the understatement of the year! Then I realized, a standard yellow cake mix box is 18 oz- NOT 9 oz....so I'm going to double it, but was just wondering if such a size even exists?? Why use a non-standard size....so just thought I'd point that out for you when you try it or recommend it.

I'll post how they turn out when I'm done. :D

Jiffy Cake Mix is 9 oz. They are common here, because they're made in MI, but I know when we've had other recipes that called for a 9 oz box, people have had to just double it, because they couldn't find the Jiffy Mixes.

Both recipes are YUMMO! so use half for each!! Or use half & save the other half for next time....;)

Yes, I remember when we had those little lemon cakes that were on the cover of the catalog, that recipe called for the 9oz box. I can't remember seeing Jiffy cake mixes out here, but my local Kroger isn't a very big one.

Cannot get them in NY. Only the corn & blueberry muffins...

Yes, the Jiffy cake mixes are hard to find here also. Mostly we only see the Jiffy Corn Muffin.

I plan on splitting the regular size box and saving the other half for the next time I make it.

In our stores the jiffy cakes aren't with the regular cake mixes. They are in the same aisle but more towards the flour.

HO uses the small mixes for some recipes for a couple of reasons: cost (they're usually pretty inexpensive), and sizing. If they used a whole standard mix for the carrot cake bites, the recipe would make more, and would be a pain for people who only have 1 MMP. If you do decide to split a standard mix, use a scale to make sure that you have accurately split it in half.

If you haven't tried the Mock Lemon Meringue Pie you don't know what you are missing! It is absolutely fabulous. I am not a fan of meringue but this is to die for. Someone made it for a cluster meeting on Monday. Can't wait to get to the store and make it.

pkd09 said:
If you haven't tried the Mock Lemon Meringue Pie you don't know what you are missing! It is absolutely fabulous. I am not a fan of meringue but this is to die for. Someone made it for a cluster meeting on Monday. Can't wait to get to the store and make it.
That's because it's nothing like meringue. It just looks like it, because it's white and piled high.

chefann said:
HO uses the small mixes for some recipes for a couple of reasons: cost (they're usually pretty inexpensive), and sizing. If they used a whole standard mix for the carrot cake bites, the recipe would make more, and would be a pain for people who only have 1 MMP. If you do decide to split a standard mix, use a scale to make sure that you have accurately split it in half.

Yep! Love my scale! Don't know how I survived in the kitchen without one!

If anyone wants to order the Jiffy cake mixes they can from a website called Hometownfavorites.com. I think it was last Spring/Summer when the prep bowl lemon cakes were the "in" recipe, I ordered a bunch for that website and they are great!

Try finding the Jiffy Cake mix at Wal-Mart or Super Target. Sometimes regular grocery stores don't carry it. In our area, that is where you find them.

I just ended up doubling the batch and got just under 24 muffins (would have had 24 probably if I wasn't a raw-batter nut! :D) So I have enough to take to my cluster meeting tonight and still leave plenty home for my guys for dessert (they hate it when they have to wait and see if there are leftovers!)

They are quite good! My boys loved them too.
- personally...I ate too many of them! :yuck: You know, the ones that broke coming out of the pan. :D Not to mention licking the spoon! (That's what I get when I skip lunch!)

Last edited:
try the dollar store for the cake mix, they sometimes sell smaller boxes of cake mix there.

1. What is the "Crazy Cake Mix Sizes" recipe and why is it considered strange?

The "Crazy Cake Mix Sizes" recipe is a dessert recipe that uses unconventional amounts of cake mix and ingredients. It is considered strange because it deviates from traditional baking measurements and requires a bit of trial and error to get the perfect texture and flavor.

2. What is the best way to adjust the recipe for different cake mix sizes?

The best way to adjust the recipe for different cake mix sizes is to use a kitchen scale to measure out the needed amount of cake mix. You can also use measuring cups, but keep in mind that the texture and flavor may vary slightly from the original recipe.

3. Can I use any type of cake mix for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix for this recipe. However, keep in mind that the flavor and texture may differ depending on the type of cake mix used. Experiment with different flavors to find your favorite combination.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when making this recipe?

Some common mistakes to avoid when making this recipe include using too much or too little cake mix, not adjusting the other ingredients accordingly, and over or underbaking the cake. It's important to follow the recipe closely and make adjustments as needed.

5. Can I make this recipe without using a boxed cake mix?

Yes, you can make this recipe without using a boxed cake mix. Simply use the same amount of flour, sugar, and leavening agents as you would in a traditional cake recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor may vary from the original recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pckellyd
  • BlessedWifeMommy