1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Mini Carrot Cake Cups

1. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

Ok- so I know the recipe isn't officially out there, but I have a photo of the recipe from the SB coming out.

Just a warning....the recipe calls for "1 pkg (9oz/250g) yellow cake mix".
    I'm sorry...am I just ignorant, but does that size of a cake mix exist??? I was mixing it all up and the instructions say it would be very thick because it just has 1 egg, some allspice, and 2 T of oil in it at this point. Ok...thick is the understatement of the year! Then I realized, a standard yellow cake mix box is 18 oz- NOT 9 oz....so I'm going to double it, but was just wondering if such a size even exists?? Why use a non-standard size....so just thought I'd point that out for you when you try it or recommend it.

I'll post how they turn out when I'm done. :D

Jul 23, 2009
  2. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

Jiffy, I believe has that size pk.

Jul 23, 2009
  3. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

Is this one of those Jiffy mix type of cake mixes? They are smaller. I think the Mock Lemon Meringue Cake people were pointing out to use the smaller Jiffy mix size box.

Jul 23, 2009
  4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Jiffy Cake Mix is 9 oz. They are common here, because they're made in MI, but I know when we've had other recipes that called for a 9 oz box, people have had to just double it, because they couldn't find the Jiffy Mixes.

Jul 23, 2009
  5. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

Both recipes are YUMMO! so use half for each!! Or use half & save the other half for next time....;)

Jul 23, 2009
  6. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Yes, I remember when we had those little lemon cakes that were on the cover of the catalog, that recipe called for the 9oz box. I can't remember seeing Jiffy cake mixes out here, but my local Kroger isn't a very big one.

Jul 23, 2009
  7. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

Cannot get them in NY. Only the corn & blueberry muffins...

Jul 23, 2009
  8. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Yes, the Jiffy cake mixes are hard to find here also. Mostly we only see the Jiffy Corn Muffin.

I plan on splitting the regular size box and saving the other half for the next time I make it.

Jul 23, 2009
  9. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

In our stores the jiffy cakes aren't with the regular cake mixes. They are in the same aisle but more towards the flour.

Jul 23, 2009
  10. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

HO uses the small mixes for some recipes for a couple of reasons: cost (they're usually pretty inexpensive), and sizing. If they used a whole standard mix for the carrot cake bites, the recipe would make more, and would be a pain for people who only have 1 MMP. If you do decide to split a standard mix, use a scale to make sure that you have accurately split it in half.

Jul 23, 2009
  11. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

If you haven't tried the Mock Lemon Meringue Pie you don't know what you are missing! It is absolutely fabulous. I am not a fan of meringue but this is to die for. Someone made it for a cluster meeting on Monday. Can't wait to get to the store and make it.

Jul 23, 2009
  12. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

That's because it's nothing like meringue. It just looks like it, because it's white and piled high.

Jul 23, 2009
  13. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Yep! Love my scale! Don't know how I survived in the kitchen without one!

Jul 23, 2009
  14. chefannie

chefannie Member

If anyone wants to order the Jiffy cake mixes they can from a website called Hometownfavorites.com. I think it was last Spring/Summer when the prep bowl lemon cakes were the "in" recipe, I ordered a bunch for that website and they are great!

Jul 23, 2009
  15. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

Try finding the Jiffy Cake mix at Wal-Mart or Super Target. Sometimes regular grocery stores don't carry it. In our area, that is where you find them.

16. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I just ended up doubling the batch and got just under 24 muffins (would have had 24 probably if I wasn't a raw-batter nut! :D) So I have enough to take to my cluster meeting tonight and still leave plenty home for my guys for dessert (they hate it when they have to wait and see if there are leftovers!)

They are quite good! My boys loved them too.
    - personally...I ate too many of them! :yuck: You know, the ones that broke coming out of the pan. :D Not to mention licking the spoon! (That's what I get when I skip lunch!)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Jul 23, 2009
  17. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

try the dollar store for the cake mix, they sometimes sell smaller boxes of cake mix there.

Jul 24, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted