• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Any Tips for Running a PC Business in Okinawa?

In summary, Julie is the director with whom HO will put you in contact. She is still on Okinawa, so it would be more likely they'll put you in touch with her. But, as already mentioned, I'm sure once she wakes up, Sheila will personally respond to the thread.
pampered_momma
Hello,

I am new to PC and new here. I just signed up. My husband is military and we are preparing to move to Okinawa, Japan. We will live on base. Can anyone tell me if there is anything special I need to know about having a PC business overseas?! I am a little nervous about finding business, and if there are any special rules/regulations. I have contacted PC and they were supposed to be getting me in touch with a director there, but I have not heard anything.

I think Sheila just left there and she just promoted to Director. I'm sure she will see your post and give a shout out. :)

Yes, hopefully Sheila will respond to you, because, as she has informed us, both the military and Japan have special rules about things being shipped to be people. I wonder if she's the director with whom HO will put you in contact.

I believe Sheila said her AD is still on Okinawa, so I'm thinking it'd be more likely they'll put you in touch with her. But, as already mentioned, I'm sure once she wakes up, Sheila will personally respond to the thread.

That would be wonderful. I am getting nervous. I had my first show and got $700 in sales which I thought was pretty good until I saw so many posts where everyone seemed to be getting at least $1000! I have my first show on my own tomorrow, one while we are visiting family and two when I get back the end of July. Than we move. I am nervous I won't make my 90 day goals to begin with, and that once we move things will be really hard. Part of me wonders what I was thinking?!:confused: The other part tells me that if there are people who can be sucessful (and obviously there are) that I can be too if I am willing to work at it. But I have also seen so many posts here where people are really struggling.

don't stress, a $700 show is fantastic! especially considering it was your first. it took me almost 8 months to get my first 1k show and i've only had 2 ever!

keep up the good work! =)

kristina16marie said:
don't stress, a $700 show is fantastic! especially considering it was your first. it took me almost 8 months to get my first 1k show and i've only had 2 ever!

dude u do not know how relieved u just made me... i was so disappointed my last show didnt hit 1k

I sold PC on Okinawa, and you'll do GREAT there. There are quite a few military regulations to know of, and Sheila will help you out with them. Here are a few I can think of right off-hand...
1. If you live in military housing, you'll need to complete a form to run a business out of your house.
2. You can NOT use the ship to host option for all shows. It violates the SOFA agreement with the Japanese.
3. You can NOT use the military postal system for your business (i.e. sending out invitations, host packets, etc.). Sheila's still there for another few weeks, and I know our AD is on mainland Japan. :)Enjoy Okinawa!! We've been gone from there for a year, and we miss it!

You well get business out here if you try. I have been doing PC for about 10 months now and I don't even try for shows as I do this more just to get out of the house every once in the while. But here spouse love to shop. I have about 1500 in sales a month with only one to two shows a month( THAT IS ALL I WANT) I am sure I could get over 3000+ if i just tried. You will do great and love Japan. Sheila is my director and she is awesome so if you have any question she well answer them for you I am sure. Also we have meetings out here once a month that once you get here you are more then welcome to come to we have alot of girls not in our cluster come. It really helps alot with ideas etc.

Okinawa you will love thought been here 3.5 years leaving in Jan and super sad. But we are trying to do an out of cycle whatever its called to stay here 4 more years.
let me know if you have any questions

[email protected]

kimmiebaby said:
... Sheila is my director and she is awesome ...
Awe,
hearts.gif
thanks Kim! :D- - - - -I'm here! LOLIs Julie your director? If so, she's already contacted me. I actually will be moving from Okinawa to Tokyo soon. My AD is way north on Mainland in Misawa. But there is another AD (Mitzi) here on Okinawa, we currently do our cluster meetings together. She's going to pick up and do hospitality for all of my girls when I PCS to mainland. Of course I'll still be in the same time zone and available by phone & e-mail, but she'll step in and do all the future cluster meetings and be available to answer any questions too. :D If Julie is your upline, I've already put her in contact with Mitzi since I won't be here in August when you arrive. But I will be more than happy to answer any questions that you have about the rules & regulations here! :D There are a few basics:
  • Go to the housing office on Kadena & apply for a business license. You need to have it to do business on base and/or do business out of military housing.
  • You can not use your military mailbox for business purposes. You can get catalogs & order forms, but NO cash & carry! As Angie mentioned, you can't send out invitations for your hostesses, mail host packets, etc. As that would be using their mail for business purposes.
  • All military box holders are prohibited from accepting mail for others unless they are the official sponsor with orders in hand. This includes you and your hosts! So the "ship to host" option is not allowed on Okinawa. The new postmaster of the main post office on Kadena (PSC 80) says he is fine with "ship to host" and will not harass us like the last postmaster did, but the other military post offices have NOT said that. In fact, the Navy Post Office on Kadena (PSC 480) is strictly enforcing the rule!
  • You are restricted to selling to SOFA Status Personnel only. We do not pay import taxes and are therefore prohibited from selling to the local Japanese. If you do, it's considered the "Black Market" and is a violation of Japan Custom's regulations as well as the "accepting mail for others" rule.
That's it! Stick to those rules and you won't have any issues here! :D If you violate rules you can get one or more of the following: Loose your mailbox privileges, face prosecution and/or ERD (early return of dependents - meaning you go back to the states, but your sponsor still has to stay here & finish out their tour). So I highly recommend that you not break the rules. ;)Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions I'll see e-mail much sooner than a message here. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds a bit complicated, especially considering I have no desire to be voted off the island so to speak! Is it pretty easy to follow all the rules are is there a huge number to follow? Are those listed pretty much it?

pampered_momma said:
Sounds a bit complicated, especially considering I have no desire to be voted off the island so to speak! Is it pretty easy to follow all the rules are is there a huge number to follow? Are those listed pretty much it?

:D:D That was funny!!

pampered_momma said:

From what Sheila has posted before, I do believe those are about it. There may be a few small things, I'm sure, but those are the biggies.

That's pretty much it! :D It's not difficult to follow the rules. There are a few people who periodically think that they are above the rules. And they will prove to people that hubby's rate means nothing when it comes to abiding by the rules. They don't care if your husband is low on the enlisted side or high on the officer's side. They can and will make an example out of people. An MP was telling us about a group of officer's wives who got caught out at Starbucks off base during a lock down (no one was allowed to do ANYTHING off base). When they were questioned, one smarted off & rudely explained that she was exempt from the rules because of her husband's status. She was on a plane back to the US in under 24 hours. They don't mess around! ;) And no, you don't want to get voted off the island! ;) Loosing command sponsorship & having to return to the states early would not be much fun at all! You would not, under any circumstances, be able to return. EVERYONE would know about it including all your hubby's co-workers. It would be an inconvenience for you and your husband as well as embarrassing for your husband. And that's just assuming that you broke military regulations. If you violated the Custom's Regulations, you would be facing criminal charges with Japan. :(

But, you will have an ABSOLUTE BLAST having kitchen shows in Oki. You'll meet lots of new friends... that's how I met Sheila!! :)

angmillar said:
But, you will have an ABSOLUTE BLAST having kitchen shows in Oki. You'll meet lots of new friends... that's how I met Sheila!! :)

Angie, I am so glad you piped up. PamperedMama, I'm new to Chef Success, but I have read a lot about the business in Okinawa, and it sounds like you will have plenty of successful support there to show you how to do it. Plus if your Director has already called Sheila, that means you will have a lot of support back home, too.

I had a patient today at work who was in her 90's, and she was in Okinawa for many years when he was in the military, and even after he retired. She loved it, and spoke so highly of her experience there. It sounds like a great adventure, and because of PC and CS, you already have friends there ready to help you learn the ropes.

Welcome to PC and best of luck in this next chapter of your life!

Marghi

Thanks so much for your replies. I had my first show on my own today. It was small. My friend does Pure Romance and sincerely apologized because only 2 people showed up. It was a close booking; she booked right after I signed up to do a party the next week. Than, as she was planning both her kids birthdays...it slipped her mind. There were supposed to be six but at the last minute 4 canceled for whatever reason. In some ways I think it was good the show was small. I have practiced with the tools, but still have some trouble with the mandolin and when one girl knocked it off track I had a really hard time getting it back on for some reason. And it was hard enough to try to remember everything, so I just offered a lot of very honest and excited information about what I loved about the products, the company,and why I am so excited to be a consultant. One girl ordered and the other is interested in signing up; she is going to a cluster meeting with me Monday to learn more! She would be my third recruit in a week of doing this! I feel like I am not doing well though because it seems like everyone really outsells me. I feel I am doing great recruiting, but would have liked to reach 1250 by the end of June. We are traveling home before our PCS and I will do a show there and than have 2 more booked right after I get back. Hopefully I will reach 1250 before we leave.Any advice for that first month we are on the island? I am not sure how to go about getting business right away, especially when I don't know how long we will be waiting for a house or phone number!

I totally agree, you will enjoy doing PC here in Okinawa!

angmillar said:

Angie didn't just "meet" me in Okinawa, she recruited me! :D A neighbor invited me to a show. I've been a fan of PC for YEARS but had ZERO intention of hosting a show. Angie was the consultant. The whole time she was talking about hosting, I was trying to NOT make eye contact! LOL She asked me at checkout if I wanted to host a show & I couldn't say no to her sweet little Tennessee accent! LOL A friend's husband showed up for the show & talked my hubby into staying too. The two guys had so much fun that they were a hit with all the female guests! They played with the Forged Cultery Knives, played with the food chopper & my hubby was trying to see how fast he could make Angie's Salad Spinner go!!! LOL I thought poor Angie would faint. After the show, hubby sat me down & told me how impressed he was with the products and suggested that I call Angie back over & talk to her about becoming a consultant. I signed that night. I told her flat out that I was just going to do it for the discount to support my addiction to the product. I had no intention of doing it seriously, recruiting, etc. Here I am 2 years & 3 months later with a great team of girls under me! All because a friend invited me to go with her to a show! I'd met the host once before through the mutual friend, but wasn't on the invitation list. I was one of the "bring a friends" at the show! :D

I've only done PC here on Oki. In May I did 2 shows in Texas while I was on vacation. All the rest have been right here in Okinawa. $1,000 are pretty common out here, as everyone has at least one guaranteed income in the house. So we are not dealing with the same economy issues here that you might see in the states. My average show out here is around $880 right now. In the states, my 2 shows combined were only $1,100 ... so much lower than what I'm accustomed to doing.

I'd actually be shocked if I heard you didn't like doing PC here! It's been super easy! :D

I should point out my start date was June 15, my first show June 22. My 30 days is on the 26 of July, so I do have time to reach 1250. It will just be hard while traveling home since only one family member has agreed to do a show and my next shows after getting home are July 28 and 30, which are past my 30 day mark. But I should definately get to 1250 by 90 days.:balloon: That's good too, right?

Yes, It's still good to qualify in the 90 day time frame, but why not get as many little extra perks as you can in the first 30 days? ;) Work hard to qualify by your 30 days so you can earn the Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set! :D Ask everyone if they would like to do a cooking or catalog show! The more shows you do, the better your sales will be at the end of your 30 & 90 days. You'll have time to do a couple of shows here in Okinawa before your 90 day mark too! ;) Hopefully earning more & more PC Dollars throughout your first 90 days. :D

Sheila said:
I totally agree, you will enjoy doing PC here in Okinawa!

Angie didn't just "meet" me in Okinawa, she recruited me! :D A neighbor invited me to a show. I've been a fan of PC for YEARS but had ZERO intention of hosting a show. Angie was the consultant. The whole time she was talking about hosting, I was trying to NOT make eye contact! LOL She asked me at checkout if I wanted to host a show & I couldn't say no to her sweet little Tennessee accent! LOL A friend's husband showed up for the show & talked my hubby into staying too. The two guys had so much fun that they were a hit with all the female guests! They played with the Forged Cultery Knives, played with the food chopper & my hubby was trying to see how fast he could make Angie's Salad Spinner go!!! LOL I thought poor Angie would faint. After the show, hubby sat me down & told me how impressed he was with the products and suggested that I call Angie back over & talk to her about becoming a consultant. I signed that night. I told her flat out that I was just going to do it for the discount to support my addiction to the product. I had no intention of doing it seriously, recruiting, etc. Here I am 2 years & 3 months later with a great team of girls under me! All because a friend invited me to go with her to a show! I'd met the host once before through the mutual friend, but wasn't on the invitation list. I was one of the "bring a friends" at the show! :D

Awwwww.... how nice, Sheila!! I vividly remember your hubby with that salad spinner. I now see why he as impressed with the products... LOL. :)

And, now you are ROCKIN' PC!!! You go, girl!!!

Angie, the really funny thing was that he was fussing about how "overpriced" PC was before the show! When Jerard made him stay, he was NOT happy about it. He wanted out of the house and not be "tortured" by being present for the PC show! LOL Your short little time in our house completely converted him on the quality of the products. When he sat me down, he said "You know Honey, PC really has some NICE stuff!" My response was "Duh! That's what I've been telling you for years!!!" :D I was super shocked when he suggested for me to call you back over to talk about signing. It hadn't even been 5 hours since he was complaining about me hosting a show!!!And thanks for the "ROCKIN' PC" comment. I'm definitely loving it. I really do hope that getting started again in Tokyo comes easily for me. I've already been putting out feelers & trying to book shows with contacts that I have there. I'm trying to get that booking ball rolling ASAP! ;)

pampered_momma said:
Thanks so much for your replies. I had my first show on my own today. It was small. My friend does Pure Romance and sincerely apologized because only 2 people showed up. It was a close booking; she booked right after I signed up to do a party the next week. Than, as she was planning both her kids birthdays...it slipped her mind. There were supposed to be six but at the last minute 4 canceled for whatever reason.

In some ways I think it was good the show was small. I have practiced with the tools, but still have some trouble with the mandolin and when one girl knocked it off track I had a really hard time getting it back on for some reason. And it was hard enough to try to remember everything, so I just offered a lot of very honest and excited information about what I loved about the products, the company,and why I am so excited to be a consultant. One girl ordered and the other is interested in signing up; she is going to a cluster meeting with me Monday to learn more! She would be my third recruit in a week of doing this!

I feel like I am not doing well though because it seems like everyone really outsells me. I feel I am doing great recruiting, but would have liked to reach 1250 by the end of June. We are traveling home before our PCS and I will do a show there and than have 2 more booked right after I get back. Hopefully I will reach 1250 before we leave.

Any advice for that first month we are on the island? I am not sure how to go about getting business right away, especially when I don't know how long we will be waiting for a house or phone number!

I'm not sure how I missed this one, but somehow I did! Holy cow, you are looking at recruit #3 since you signed on the 15th? That's AWESOME!!! Just keep going girl. The sales will come!!! Host coaching is really the key to getting a good turn out at the shows. That and advertising!!! Wear a log shirt, carry a catalog tote or advertise on your vehicle. I don't even have a phone number on my car ... just e-mail and web page. People see it and remember it! I met someone the other day & when I gave her my business card, she said "hey, I know your van!" So although she's not a customer (yet), she knows who I am & what I do! Advertising really can help you in your business. ;)

My AD recently moved from the states to mainland Japan. She said that she took host packets with her in her suitcase & was sitting in the hotel lobby with her catalog tote while on the laptop checking e-mail on the Wi-Fi. She said she was making contacts right there in TLF and booking shows just by being visible with her catalog tote! People would strike up a conversation and she booked a couple of shows. :D

I'm about to PCS to Tokyo in July. I'm planning to take a few items with me so I can do shows right away. I've already contacted my sponsor & asked if she knew anyone who would be willing to host a show to help me get my new business up & off the ground. She volunteered to do it herself! I also have 2 friends here in Okinawa who have friends on my new base. I asked both of them: "Really? A friend who loves Pampered Chef & would be willing to host a show to help me get my business up & off the ground in Tokyo???" Both laughed & said "I bet she would!!!" ... so I'm following up with those two leads now that our orders are off hold & in the works again! I'm really hoping to have 2 or 3 shows that first military pay day on the new base. It would really help me to hit my sales goals for the month and help me to get my name out to more people and hopefully more bookings on the calendar.

Obviously, I'm handing down the shows that I can't do to my down line, but talk to anyone that you know of here on the island if they would be willing to host or if they know someone who might be able to host. Be sure to ask your sponsor or other spouses that you meet in the new command. Talk to people in TLF. Take some ITT or MCCS tours and meet other people on the buses, you can strike up good conversations on those tours. ;)

kristina16marie said:

I agree, 1k shows for most of us are far and few between. I am in my 10th month and have only had two. One in April and my second this month. I average around 500 and that is good I think. I think its quality that matters. When I give a great show I know I did it and that is what matters. I dont worry about the sales. :thumbup:

They have a way of working out. I worry more about the number of bookings from a show then what I sell. If I can don 8 shows a month then I know I would be bringing in what I want a month. ( I am not doing that yet) Soon I will. ;)

Sheila said:
Angie, the really funny thing was that he was fussing about how "overpriced" PC was before the show! When Jerard made him stay, he was NOT happy about it. He wanted out of the house and not be "tortured" by being present for the PC show! LOL Your short little time in our house completely converted him on the quality of the products. When he sat me down, he said "You know Honey, PC really has some NICE stuff!" My response was "Duh! That's what I've been telling you for years!!!" :D I was super shocked when he suggested for me to call you back over to talk about signing. It hadn't even been 5 hours since he was complaining about me hosting a show!!!

And thanks for the "ROCKIN' PC" comment. I'm definitely loving it. I really do hope that getting started again in Tokyo comes easily for me. I've already been putting out feelers & trying to book shows with contacts that I have there. I'm trying to get that booking ball rolling ASAP! ;)

I'd like to attribute your hubby's change in attitude to my wonderful PC skills, but I think I'll have to credit it to the "hands-on" approach. :)

You'll do GREAT on mainland Japan!!!! I have every confidence in the world. :)

Thanks Angie! I'm sure I'll get it up & going fairly fast ... I'm just hoping that it happens SUPER fast! LOL

What is the process for moving to Okinawa as a military family?

The process for moving to Okinawa as a military family typically involves receiving orders from your branch of service, completing all required paperwork, and attending a pre-deployment briefing. You will also need to schedule transportation for yourself and your belongings through the military's transportation office.

Are there any specific requirements or restrictions for shipping household goods to Okinawa?

Yes, there are specific requirements and restrictions for shipping household goods to Okinawa. These may vary depending on your branch of service, but typically include restrictions on certain items such as firearms, ammunition, and certain household appliances. It is important to check with your transportation office for a complete list of restrictions before packing your belongings.

What is the housing situation like for military families in Okinawa?

The housing situation for military families in Okinawa may vary depending on your branch of service and rank. Some families may be assigned to on-base housing, while others may be required to live off-base. It is important to communicate with your command and housing office to understand your options and requirements.

What are some resources available for military families in Okinawa?

There are several resources available for military families in Okinawa, including support services such as the Family Readiness Program, Military and Family Life Counselors, and the USO. Additionally, there are numerous community organizations and groups that offer support and assistance to military families.

How can I prepare my family for the cultural differences in Okinawa?

It is important to research and learn about the culture in Okinawa before moving there as a military family. This can include familiarizing yourself with local customs, traditions, and etiquette. It may also be helpful to connect with other military families who have lived in Okinawa, as they can provide valuable insights and tips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • cttdbreeves
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
kittychef
  • Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies