• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximize Your Tax Savings: Understanding Mileage Taxes for 2008 | 1099 Info

In summary, Mileage tax is a type of tax that is based on the number of miles a vehicle travels on public roads. It is typically calculated by multiplying the number of miles driven by a predetermined rate set by the government. Anyone who owns or operates a vehicle that is registered to drive on public roads may be required to pay mileage tax, which is different from gas tax. It is being considered as a potential replacement for gas tax and as a fairer way to fund road infrastructure projects.
ChefPaulaB
On CC under tax info: 1099 info, there is a spot that talks about mileage for 2008:
"Standard mileage rate. For 2008, the standard mileage
rate for the cost of operating your car, van, pickup, or panel
truck for business miles is:
•50.5 cents per mile for the period January 1 through
June 30, and
•58.5 cents per mile for the period July 1 through
December 31.
For more information, see Car and Truck Expenses in
chapter 8."

So, if this is true, then why does the mileage thing on our Income/Expense Transactions on PP3 say that it is 0.4850? Can we change that to reflect the correct rate?

You can. It doesn't necessarily update automatically. If you've already entered mileage entries, you need to go into each of those and apply the correct rate. To change the default rate, start a new expense transaction, and click the "edit categories" link. When the list pops up, edit the mileage entry to have the current deduction per mile.

I use H&R Block online and it just asks for number of miles 1/1-6/30 and number 7/1-12/31. They figure it for you. I entered my miles into P3, but let H&R Block figure the actual number.

Thank you! I had went through and entered all of my mileage before I read that, so now I get to change the whole year! Whoohoo! Oh well, at least it'll be worth it in the end, more deductions!

So what is the current rate? Didn't it change again January 1st?

Not sure if it changed Jan 1st or not, but as of July 1st it was .585

You can check the rate at the IRS website: irs.gov

1. What is mileage tax?

Mileage tax is a type of tax that is based on the number of miles a vehicle travels on public roads. It is usually imposed as a way to fund road maintenance and construction projects.

2. How is mileage tax calculated?

Mileage tax is typically calculated by multiplying the number of miles driven by a predetermined rate set by the government. The rate may vary based on the type of vehicle, fuel efficiency, and other factors.

3. Who has to pay mileage tax?

Anyone who owns or operates a vehicle that is registered to drive on public roads may be required to pay mileage tax. This includes personal vehicles, commercial vehicles, and government-owned vehicles.

4. Is mileage tax the same as gas tax?

No, mileage tax is different from gas tax. Gas tax is a tax on fuel that is paid at the pump, while mileage tax is based on the number of miles driven. Some states may have both gas tax and mileage tax, while others may only have one or the other.

5. Why is mileage tax being considered?

Mileage tax is being considered as a potential replacement for gas tax as vehicles become more fuel-efficient, resulting in less revenue from gas tax. It is also seen as a way to fund road infrastructure projects fairly, as it takes into account the wear and tear on roads by vehicles of different sizes and weights.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
koima
  • byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
TJMagoo
  • baychef