• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mileage Deduction / Consultant Gift

In summary, Tammy recommends keeping a notebook in your car in which you record the date, beginning and ending mileage for every PC thing you do. She also recommends printing out a mapquest map for each show you attend to keep in your expense file.
ChefJWarren
Gold Member
When recording/deducting mileage, do I have to record the actual mileage (beginning and end) when conducting business or can I just record date and address, and then look it up on Maps and write down to/from mileage??

Can I deduct when I pay for shipping or give other discounts as part of a promotion?

Jessica, in my experience, yes to both. Last year, my first year, I wrote down starting and ending mileage. This year it was busier, so I am just "guesstimating" PC-related mileage. I figured my base annual mileage before PC, and calculated the difference with my end of year mileage. I doubt the IRS is too picky with mileage, so long as it seems reasonable. I mean, as long as you average about 20-50 miles per show, it won't raise flags. However, if you claim 2000 miles/show, there might be a red flag going up. (Basically, if it's proportional to your income, I think you'll be okay--just keep your planner/calendar for 3 years or so to be able to verify your parties).

As for discounts and free shipping, I always print a duplicate receipt (just on plain paper for my records) and highlight my deductible part and write the reason why. I do an Excel spreadsheet for deductible expenses, rather than just relying on reports from our software.

HTH some...

Tammy

Just FYI, if you use P3, there are ways to enter your "discounts" and gifts as consultant gifts, and I'm assuming there's a way to make it file a report that you can print off at year end? I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I'm learning! :)
I keep a notebook in my car and log my mileage (leaving and arriving back at home) for every PC thing I do (shows, trips to the store for groceries or copies, delivery of products to customers, driving to the bank to make deposits, etc.). It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the routine, but now that I've been doing it a couple of months it's clockwork. I highly recommend it!

At our cluster meeting in December we talked all about taxes. My NED and another Director that is an accountant said the IRS is picky about mileage. They want beginning and ending numbers for the trips. I know there are some that will say don't worry about it. I figure like sklay23 said it took a couple of weeks to get a routine. I think it is worth it to save any aggravation later. I had beeen doing mapquest directions for the mileage and changed when I heard this.

You don't have to turn in odometer reading for mileage - unless you're audited. Then you'll definitely wish you had them!

OK...now you all are making me nervous. My accountant said that I can just write down the miles to/from (as in the total miles driven) and also to document my BEGINNING mileage January 1st and the ENDING mileage on December 31st. That way, they can see that only a % of my driving is PC related.

I have NEVER been able to be disiplined enough to actually remember to write down my odometer at the beginning and end of each PC related trip.

I've ALWAYS written miles to and from ... and NEVER been audited. (Praying it never happens, either.) The accounting people upstairs at work also never whine that I don't include ODO readings on the sheets they use. I don't know how I would ever reconstruct such a record, since I just retired my previous car, and since I would be more likely to hit the trip odometer when headed to an unfamiliar location.

I keep a little spiral bound notebook right in my console and EVERY time I leave my house if it's in ANY way related to the business, i.e., bank, post office, grocery store, supplies, shows (obviously), meetings, etc. I write down the date, beginning and ending mileage for that trip and what I did on that trip - to bank, post office, groc. store. I don't detail really. I do put the hosts' name when I go to a show. I just want to be safe in case anything ever comes up. I pray it doesn't.

What do you do if something is on the way home (ie - I stop on the way home from work to deposit checks or go to a Cluster meeting)?

I just keep up with the mileage. I figure it is the same as medical mileage that I have been doing for years and have not done odometer. I did decide that this year, I am going to print a mapquest map for each show to keep in my expense file.

I keep up with all my expesnes in P3 and print out the report at the end of the year. If I need more categories than what they have, I just add it.

Last edited:

What is the mileage deduction for Pampered Chef consultants?

The mileage deduction for Pampered Chef consultants is based on the standard mileage rate set by the IRS. For 2021, the rate is 56 cents per mile. This means that for every business mile driven, consultants can deduct 56 cents from their taxable income.

What counts as a business mile for the mileage deduction?

A business mile is any mile driven for the purpose of conducting Pampered Chef business. This includes driving to and from parties, vendor events, meetings, and other business-related activities. Personal miles, such as driving to the grocery store or picking up children from school, do not count for the deduction.

Do I need to keep track of my mileage for the mileage deduction?

Yes, it is important to keep track of your mileage in order to claim the deduction on your taxes. This can be done manually by recording your mileage in a logbook or using a mileage tracking app. It is important to record the date, starting and ending location, and purpose of the trip for each business mile driven.

Can I also deduct gas and other car expenses for my Pampered Chef business?

Yes, in addition to the mileage deduction, you can also deduct gas and other car expenses for your Pampered Chef business. This includes expenses such as gas, oil changes, repairs, and insurance. However, these expenses must be prorated based on the percentage of miles driven for business versus personal use.

What is the consultant gift and how does it affect my taxes?

The consultant gift is a reward given to Pampered Chef consultants for meeting certain sales and recruiting goals. It is considered taxable income and will be reported on your annual 1099 form. It is important to keep track of the value of any consultant gifts received and report it on your tax return as additional income.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisacb77
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lisacb77
  • jrstephens
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sklay723
  • nikkijo