1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Microwave Cobbler in DCB

1. taterbug

taterbug Member

My director sent a recipe for cobbler in the DCB (microwave). Basically, you layer a dry cake mix, can of pie filling and 1 1/2 sticks of butter. Microwave for 10 minutes - stir - microwave another 2 to 3 minutes.
    I made this last night and it was very tasty (I used a butter pecan cake mix and apple pie filling), but I think it could be a little more moist. Any ideas?

Jun 10, 2009
  2. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

I will have to try this first and see how it turns out for me.

Jun 10, 2009
  3. pamperedharriet

pamperedharriet Legacy Member

I actually haven't tried this yet but was wondering if the cake mix you used was labeled "moist".

4. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

it sounds an awful lot like the dump cake that was on another thread a while back... will look back and see and see if there is something else to add...

Jun 10, 2009
  5. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

I made this for our cluster meeting and it was a big hit!

I use yellow cake mix (no butter recipe) and cherry pie filling.
    Followed the directions as in the first post and then sprinkled one of our sprinkels on top before returning it for the last 2-3 minutes.

It was great!

Kelly V. :chef:

also to add, another cluster mate made this and did it with an apple like cake mix and apple filling and did not mix it up, it didn't go over so well.

Jun 10, 2009
  6. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

I have done one that you layer first dry cake mix, then can of pie filling, then can of Sprite poured over the top. Can't remember right now how long to cook in microwave but it was really good. I have used chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling together and also yellow cake mix and apple pie filling.

Jun 10, 2009
  7. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

do you put the lid on the DCB when you cook it? If so, it won't fit in my microwave. Does anyone know how long to cook it in the oven?

Jun 10, 2009
  8. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

At our cluster meeting Monday, our Director made one - and her micro is too small for the DCB too.

She baked it at 350 for about 30-35 minutes.

She did 1 can strawberry pie fillling on the bottom, 1 box vanilla cake mix on top and 1-1/2 sticks butter chopped and sprinkled over the top. We all thought it could do with just 1 stick of butter.

It was awesome.

Jun 10, 2009
  9. taterbug

taterbug Member

I'm not sure - I'll check and see though. It was delicious - I am going to make one tomorrow and use two sticks of butter and see if that makes any difference.

Jun 10, 2009
  10. taterbug

taterbug Member

Maybe putting the pie filling in first would make a difference. I have a recipe for apple cobbler that I make in the oven and the pie filling (2 cans in the rectangular stone) goes first. After that you spread the cake mix, brown sugar and pats of butter. You bake it for 35 minutes (350), take it out and sprinkle chopped pecans on top of it. Return it to the oven for 15 minutes. You do not stir this particular recipe. It is absolutely delicious!!
    I just really like the idea of a microwave cobbler though. I have a show tomorrow night and plan to do the BBQ Chicken Sandwiches and then this cobbler. You can't beat dinner and dessert in 30 minutes!! I am also going to promote the DCB bundle deal - hopefully, I will generate some interest.

Jun 10, 2009
  11. cookin to the top

cookin to the top Member Gold Member

I made it w/ 2 cans of pie filling instead of 1, and 1-1/2 sticks of butter. Fattening, but moist and delicious!!!

12. taterbug

taterbug Member

Maybe that is what is missing - not enough pie filling. The texture and taste was fine, but there just seemed to be so much more "crust" than apples. I think I will try that too.

Jun 11, 2009
  13. pamperedharriet

pamperedharriet Legacy Member

Let me know how it comes out.

14. jzramom

jzramom Member

Are you all using the lid when you microwave?

Jun 11, 2009
  15. BeckyC5830

BeckyC5830 Member

I do not use the lid when I mw the cakes.

Jun 11, 2009
  16. lpacker

lpacker Member

Glad to see this post - I tried this with blueberry pie filling and a yellow cake mix. Not thinking (and I even teach art) that when I mixed the blue and yellow together after 10 minutes in the micrwave, it turned green. Tasted great (maybe a bit too moist), but my husband thought it looked like broccoli and could not eat it...LOL.

The following week, I tried spice cake and apple pie filling. I agree, there did not seem to be enough apples, so maybe I'll try with two cans.

Jun 11, 2009
  17. taterbug

taterbug Member

So, don't use the lid for this cobbler? I have used it both times I made it....
    I just made it again for the guys at work - this time I used two cans of apples and two sticks of butter and they absolutely loved it. Adding the extra can of filling definitely helped.
    I also made the microwave BBQ chicken for them and ended up with around $200 worth of orders from three of the guys!

Jun 11, 2009
  18. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

I did this at the cluster meeting last week.
    Used yellow cake mix, canned peaches, 1 1/2 sticks butter (cut into pats) Micro 10 mins, then STIR WELL. Then micro 3 more mins. Topped with cinnamon and cinnamon sprinkles.
    SOOO GOOD, gone in mins. Everyone said they will do this at a show...

Jun 11, 2009
  19. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

LOL!! I'm sure it tasted awesome though! Love blueberries...

Jun 11, 2009
  20. loreo

loreo Banned

Not peach pie filling? What size can did you use?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2009
  21. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Legend Member Gold Member

Oh my goodness, this sounds so easy and GOOD!

Jun 11, 2009
  22. bknowles67

bknowles67 Novice Member

We too had this at our cluster meeting and was nice and cakey and moist. I made it the other night and it was almost like a bread pudding. Good but not cakey.

Jun 12, 2009
  23. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

yes it was peach pie filling. Not surre the size, there was only one size can

Jun 12, 2009
  24. I ried the recipe last nigh..I left the lid on the DCB for the first 10 minutes and removed it for the last 3...it seemed rubbery in places, but tasted good. So just leave the lid off for the whole time?? I want to do this at a show, but i want it to be really good, not rubbery any suggestions?:)

Jun 18, 2009
  25. i did this last weekend two different times. one with the butter and one with the pop the pop was alot lighter and not so filling. both were good.

26. taterbug

taterbug Member

Two cans of pie filling, two sticks of butter and the lid on is how I have made it the last two times and it was really good. I also layered it: pie filling, cake mix, butter. I used apple pie filling and a butter pecan cake mix. After ten minutes, I sprinkled some of the Sweet Caramel sprinkle in and stirred that up before returning to the microwave for three more minutes. You could also add some finely chopped pecans.

Jun 18, 2009
  27. beckyjsmith

beckyjsmith Member

I have done the apple pie filling with butter pecan .. yum yum!! I agree that it needs more pie filling than just one can.
    I also do yellow cake mix with cherry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple. That is a HUGE hit. I alternate between cutting the butter into pats with the egg slicer plus or making sure it is really really cold and shredding it using the RG.

Jun 18, 2009
  28. zmom58

zmom58 Member

Did you use canned peaches OR peach pie filling, just wondering:confused:
    Deb

Jun 21, 2009
  29. zmom58

zmom58 Member

oops, sorry I should have read to the end, my bad! I will have to try it with the peach pie fiilling, yummy!
    Deb

Jun 21, 2009
  30. chezshelly

chezshelly Advanced Member Gold Member

I use one can of crushed pineapple and one can of cherry pie filling, mix them together in the bottom of the DCB. I sprinkle on the dry cake mix and then pats of 1 stick of butter, 12-15 minutes in the microwave. It is awesome. Just like a dump cake you do in the oven but it doesn't take any time and it is yummmy!!!!

Jun 24, 2009
  31. emo812

emo812 Member

These sound good too! I'm sure getting hungry!

Jul 2, 2009
  32. annew

annew Member

did you use the juice from the peaches???

Jul 2, 2009
  33. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

use canned peach pie filling (all of it)

Jul 2, 2009
  34. Karen Weber

Karen Weber Member Gold Member

I use the large can of canned peaches instead of the pie filling. Guests at my shows love this. In fact, I take two DCB to my shows. When I first get there I put the cobbler in the microwave so it's cooking and making the house smell yummy. Then I do the Barbecue chicken in front of them. This way they can see that they can make meals and/or desserts in them.

Here's a few quick tips. Put the canned peaches in a bowl with the juice and cut them up with the Salad Chopper then pour peaches & juice over the dry cake mix. Stirring it up after 3 minutes really helps. The caramel sprinkles are great to add the last 3 minutes of the cooking time. I also use the egg slicer to cut the butter into slices.

It's a great recipe that you can just walk them through and talk about the Salad Chopper and the sprinkles.

Karen Weber

Jul 3, 2009
  35. PamperedSD

PamperedSD Member

Thanks for the tips Karen! Do you use a yellow cake mix? Do you buy peaches in syrup? I have my first show next week and my host asked if I could do a peach cobbler. I'm making it at home and bringing it to the show - her microwave is too small.

Aug 4, 2009
  36. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

This would be great for those March shows!

Aug 4, 2009
  37. JenniK

JenniK Member

Yum! I need to find a friend who as a DCB I can borrow for some shows so I can do a Dinner Time in No Time and a cobbler. Great idea Karen!

Aug 4, 2009
  38. jackieblue

jackieblue Member

This sounds fantastic...like a pineapple upside down cake!

Aug 4, 2009
  39. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

Does anyone have directions on how you'd do a Dump Cake/Cobbler Cake in the regular oven? I'm giving some Mocha Sprinkles recipes to a customer, and wanted to give her this one. She doesn't have a DCB (yet)....so I wanted to give her the variation cooking method for it.

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2009
  40. taterbug

taterbug Member

Preheat oven to 350.
    Pour 2 or 3 cans of apple pie filling in greased 9x13 dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of brown sugar over apples. Sprinkle a dry Butter Pecan cake mix over top of brown sugar. Thinly slice one stick of butter and layer on top of cake mix. Bake for 30 minutes (I believe it is 30 - trying to do this from memory). Remove from oven and sprinkle finely chopped pecans on top. Return to oven for 15 minutes.

Aug 11, 2009
Have something to add?