• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Potatoes for Office Microwave Demo: Tips to Avoid Gray Color

In summary,The author has been asked to demo the microwave chip maker at their office and is wondering if they can slice the potatoes and put them between layers of paper towel to take to the office and cook there. They are also concerned about the potatoes turning gray. The author recommends soaking the sliced potatoes in water until ready to cook. They also recommend that when the author demos the chip maker, they tell the audience that the chips were made in the micro.
mmilus
Gold Member
I have been asked to demo the microwave chip maker at my office tomorrow and am wondering if I can slice the potatoes and put them between layers of paper towel to take to the office and cook there. I am going to do some potatoes and some sweet potatoes - the kitchen there is quite small so I would prefer not to have to slice them there but am concerned about them turning gray. Any suggestions?
Thanks! Marci

You might want to soak the sliced potatoes in water until you are ready to make them. I know this helps remove some of the starch for making crispy fries in an oven. But, I don't have the chip maker so I don't know how it will affect the potatoes in the microwave. It will prevent them from changing colors as well. As for the sweet potatoes...I don't know if this will work for them or not.

I would be afraid they would change colors. Some of mine start to turn a little bit even before I get them in the microwave.

Thanks - I just took the stuff with me and sliced them there and it worked out fine. Bringing lunch for the office staff may have helped me get my second March show - YEAH!! Free HWC items for me!

I make the chips before I goto a show, so I have enough for everyone to sample, and I also make a dip with the 3onion rub and plain green yogurt. I demo just one batch at the show of the chips. I can't tell you how many simple slicers and micro chip makers I have sold. Most shows I put the chips and dip on a Bamboo plate ahead of time, and when people come in they start eating them. When I start the show, I tell everyone the chips they have been sampling were made in the micro. Its always a good start to a show.

What is the best way to cook potatoes in the office microwave?

The best way to cook potatoes in the office microwave is to first wash and scrub the potatoes thoroughly. Then, pierce the skin of the potatoes with a fork to allow steam to escape. Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Let them sit for a few minutes before cutting or serving.

Why do potatoes sometimes turn gray when cooked in the microwave?

Potatoes can turn gray when cooked in the microwave due to a chemical reaction between the starch in the potatoes and the minerals in the water. This reaction can be prevented by using distilled water or adding a splash of lemon juice to the water before cooking the potatoes.

How do I prevent my potatoes from being too dry when cooking them in the microwave?

To prevent dry potatoes, wrap them in a damp paper towel before microwaving. The moisture from the paper towel will help keep the potatoes moist while cooking. You can also add a few tablespoons of water to the plate before microwaving.

Can I cook potatoes with other vegetables in the office microwave?

Yes, you can cook potatoes with other vegetables in the office microwave. Just make sure to choose vegetables that have a similar cooking time, such as carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower. Cut the vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces and microwave for the same amount of time as the potatoes.

What is the best way to season potatoes for the office microwave demo?

The best way to season potatoes for the office microwave demo is to sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs or spices before microwaving. You can also add a drizzle of olive oil for added flavor. After cooking, you can top them with grated cheese, sour cream, or your favorite toppings for a delicious and easy office lunch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellerCooks
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
marystell1
  • laylaleigh
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • scottcooks