• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cake-Making with the Rice Cooker Plus: Tips and Troubleshooting

In summary, everybody puts the lid back on the Rice Cooker Plus when doing these cakes. I have watched the dvd from PC and for their cake they left the lid off. I have tried these cakes numorious times and they are always undone on the bottom...and if I try to cook them longer they tend to burn. Does anyone else have this problem? I would love to try one at my shows but am afraid it won't turn out and I'll just have a mess on my hands with a bunch of people looking at me.
Swirl
Does everybody put the lid back on the Rice Cooker Plus when doing these cakes? I have watched the dvd from PC and for their cake they left the lid off. I have tried these cakes numorious times and they are always undone on the bottom...and if I try to cook them longer they tend to burn. Does anyone else have this problem? I would love to try one at my shows but am afraid it won't turn out and I'll just have a mess on my hands with a bunch of people looking at me. :eek:

Sorry I can't be of any help! I have the same problem with my micro cakes, but I was wondering what part of SW Virginia you are from. I lived in Christiansburg and Floyd for about 7 to 8 years. Just Curious!

Micro CakesI have made this at home and a show and haven't had a problem. You want to make the cake without the lid. One thing, does your microwave have a turn table inside? That may be your problem.

I'm thinking physics are at play here. In the video demo, the lid is left off, yes, but there is also a nice layer of chopped nuts on the bottom for that particular cake. Most of the cakes I've seen here do not have that kind of foundation. I'm thinking the layer of chopped nuts is the key point that altered the physics of cooking the cake with or without the lid.

I, too, did a microwave cake in the RCP - with the lid ON - and it turned out just fine, a little lopsided, but fine. When I tried it without the lid the cake both cracked on the top and was soggy on the bottom. Again, I think the key was that I didn't use any nuts in my cakes. Any data to turn my hypothesis into a theory? :D

Has anyone followed the directions exactly for the Hazelnut cake? Then done a plain box mix cake?

with nutsI tried the cake exactly as the SB recipe states with the lid off and it was not done on the bottom. I do have a turn table. My stoneware fluted pan microwave cakes turned out much better.
Kristi

Not for me!Personally, I don't think I'll ever do a microwave cake in the Rice cooker plus at a show because it is always unpredictable. I've done several tries at home with the lava cake recipe, and it turns out different every time. The last time I made one it was good, but who knows what will happen the next time! Also, I left the lid on every time and still got different results each time.

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

Rice Cooker CakeI have not tried it yet, but I was told to be sure to not use a cake mix with pudding in the mix. I am going to try making the cake today.

Darlene

answer for Rice cooker Cake!!!OK. Ladies..I have to tell you I am a pro at this recipe..LOL I have been doing it since January 17th and I have sold over 50 Rice cookers..including my show last night...First of all I call it a Decadent Chocolate LAVA cake...
Here's exactly how to do it...
Chocolate cake is the most impressive, I use Dunkin Hines Chocolate cake and chocolate frosting (BJ's has the 6 pack of cake mixes for 4.99 and the 4 pack of frosting for 4.99 as well..half chocolate, 1/2 vanilla)
mix up your cake mix with ingredients TELL EVERYONE YOU AREN'T SPRAYING THE RICE COOKER...they can't believe it...
Use Medium scoop. Put one semi level to heaping scoop in the center of the batter and 4 around it to form a "Daisey" if you will..haha
1/2 snap it!!!!! This was by trial and error..It comes out great everytime..Cook 10 minutes on high then flip it onto either medium SA squares or Celebrate plate...dust it with flour sugar shaker with Confectioners sugar...

****a BIG warning, if someone has an old microwave, check with the small spreader that there isn't a lot of liquid on the sides of the cake at the bottom..you want some liquid, just not a lot...been there at a party with 20 people...It was actually quite funny!

If anyone has questions feel free to contact me ;)

What do you mean by "1/2 snap it!!!!!"? I'd like to try this cake at work, where I'm having a lunch-time show. Our m/w doesn't have a carousel, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Joan D.
P.S. I'm a newbie and haven't worked on my signature line yet.

microwave cake...Sorry!!! 1/2 snap means to only snap it on one side...Ooops.... :D Not sure about a microwave with no carousel..I think I had one and it worked..I woudl give it a test run..

lid or no lid?PMP414.....

Just got my rice cooker plus UPS today!!!!

Do you use the lid or not?

THANKS!

LID definately...but again, only snap it on one side..That I find makes the cake a little less lopsided...Good Luck! :D

I have made this cake three times, with a couple different microwaves. The first time was a mess. I used the lid and it didn't cook long enough and blorped all over my plate, counter, floor... it was definately Lava-ish! LOL.

The second time I did it without the lid, like the Hazelnut cake recipe calls for. I used about a 1/2 can of frosting and cooked it until the cake began to pull away from the sides of the rice cooker. It was perfect. I did it again at a party. The host had a very powerful microwave so it cooked for a short amount of time, but I looked for the telltale pulling away from the sides and it, too, was perfect. Moist, completely cooked, fantastic.

These days, because I am trying to sell the cookware, I am making skillet cakes. But the rice cooker one is great for an extra, easy, recipe. And it definately does sell rice cookers!

Love,
Rachel

DZmom said:
Sorry I can't be of any help! I have the same problem with my micro cakes, but I was wondering what part of SW Virginia you are from. I lived in Christiansburg and Floyd for about 7 to 8 years. Just Curious!
I am in Giles County (Pearisburg). I've been here for about 5 yrs now but my mom's family is from Pembroke. How is business over the mountain?

really? When I had my party (before joining) my now director told us to keep the lid off... and I have TONS of cake mixes in the basement & have used the ones with the pudding in the mix, came out super moist. Curious why they said not to use them.

rice cooker cakeI just made the rice cooker cake and only snapped one side and it came out lop sided, it taste great but how do I get it to cook even.
mary ann

trouble tooI tried the choc hazelnut cake, not done on the bottom.(or top when inverted;) ) ALso tried just a regular cake last night w/frosting, added an extra minute, and still was a little soupy on top. My micro does have a turntable. I'd love to demo this at shows, but nervous! I know like ovens, all microwaves are different. Any other tips are appreciated!

I made the microwave cake today. And I think I need a new microwave!! I knew it takes longer with my microwave so I put it in for 11 minutes. When I took it out I tested it with the cake tester. It cames out clean so I flipped out the cake. Well.....only half the cake was done.

So I put everything back into the rice cooker and put it back into the microwave for another 8 minutes. It was done this time.

Here is what I learned. Do not use the cake tester to test this cake!! AND if the cake wiggles like jello....It is NOT done.

It doesn't look too pretty but that might be because I had to put everything back into the rice cooker and cook it again. I will try it again and put it in for 19 minutes next time......or buy a new microwave.;)

I definetely thing before doing this at a show I would make sure they have a newer microwave!!

I have made this cake MANY times and only one time did it come out lopsided and not seeming done. That was a small, old microwave and after we used it the host said that it never cooks things right. BUT everyone LOVED the taste of the cake and 3 bought rice cookers that night (2 already had gotten them at a previous party). The cake recipe does sell the cake!

BTW: I DO put the lid on and close both sides. If the host says her microwave takes longer I do it 11 minutes otherwise 9.

I have a very small, 700 watt microwave and it takes about 13 minutes in mine. I don't use the lid. I don't use a cake tester or knife to check it, but look to see that the cake is shrinking away from the sides of the rice cooker.

reesefamily5 said:
I made the microwave cake today. And I think I need a new microwave!! I knew it takes longer with my microwave so I put it in for 11 minutes. When I took it out I tested it with the cake tester. It cames out clean so I flipped out the cake. Well.....only half the cake was done.

So I put everything back into the rice cooker and put it back into the microwave for another 8 minutes. It was done this time.

Here is what I learned. Do not use the cake tester to test this cake!! AND if the cake wiggles like jello....It is NOT done.

It doesn't look too pretty but that might be because I had to put everything back into the rice cooker and cook it again. I will try it again and put it in for 19 minutes next time......or buy a new microwave.;)

I definetely thing before doing this at a show I would make sure they have a newer microwave!!

That's exactly what happened to me! I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Is it bad I want to buy a new microwave just so I can make micro cakes?:D The rice cooking cakes is cool, but I think I still prefer the fluted pan!

I have tried pudding in the mix and mix w/out pudding and I would have to say that Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate (pudding in the mix) and Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge were the favorites in my household. My husband and I both felt that the Pillsbury Chocolate came out almost dry or over cooked tasting. Cooked all brands with 5 med scoops of chocolate frosting for 9 minutes in a newer microwave with a turntable. I used the lid w/out the insert for all three brands and only the Pillsbury came out really lopsided.

Micro CakeHi there,

I have added this cake to my demonstrations now and I just love it. I close the lid and snap both sides shut and cook for 10mins and find that it is perfect each time. Started doing this at my last 3 shows and have sold 22 rice cookers since. It is a great add-on sale.

Marion said:
Hi there,

I have added this cake to my demonstrations now and I just love it. I close the lid and snap both sides shut and cook for 10mins and find that it is perfect each time. Started doing this at my last 3 shows and have sold 22 rice cookers since. It is a great add-on sale.
I'm with you Marion!! I had a show last night and had I got this recipe idea from watching this board. My show was held in a dorm room after mid-terms - I thought this would be great for college students (they love cheap-yummy snacks). BOY was I right!!! There were 8 girls there - after making the Chocolate Lava cake - smothering it in vanilla ice cream and Chocolate syrup - they called most everyone in the dorm to come and see this fantastic pice of COOKWARE!! Some boys went to the store and bouth more cake mixes (various kinds) and frosting -- they all had to try it out after ordering their own rice cooker. OH - did I mention I sold 19!! cookers that night!!! SO - college students might not have lots of money, but they do love cake. My host didn't think her friends cold order enough for a quailifying show - but she did it (99% rice cookers :)
I will add this little number to my shows for sure....

Gina

Ok,... I'm scared to even try this recipe!!
Sounds so unpredictable. I was considering it for my show next week...but ...nah!
I'll definitely try it at home... but scared to use someone else's microwave... I know her house is new, so probably the microwave is new and powerful...but I don't want to risk a mess at a show!

I'm curious...Has anyone tried a nut other than Hazel nuts? Are Peanuts ok? Hazel nuts may be more expensive for hosts...I like keeping the grocery price low. Thanks!

DarleneCostinett said:
I have tried pudding in the mix and mix w/out pudding and I would have to say that Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate (pudding in the mix) and Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge were the favorites in my household. My husband and I both felt that the Pillsbury Chocolate came out almost dry or over cooked tasting. Cooked all brands with 5 med scoops of chocolate frosting for 9 minutes in a newer microwave with a turntable. I used the lid w/out the insert for all three brands and only the Pillsbury came out really lopsided.

I used the BC DARK chocolate cake in my skillet then frosted with BC Whipped butter cream frosting ~ OMG, it was the BEST cake I EVER tasted. Did not need ANYTHING else!

For what it is worth. I've made at least five Rice Cooker Cakes. You cannot trust the cake tester when it comes out clean, after 10 minutes, using a turntable microwave. Even when it pulled away from the sides, I've had two
cakes that needed an extra two minutes to firm up on the "top". They were
impressive, gourmet looking cakes, and we added the frosting after removing it from the RC, rather than putting the frosting into the batter. I've had consistent success with the Fluted Stoneware cake in the microwave. I find that shortening brushed on the sides gets me a very clean cake, whereas spraying with our spritzer is not as clean a shape. With the spritzer I have had as much as 1/4" of cake remains in the stoneware, and sometimes even more. Also found that sprinkling with Confectioners sugar is not a good idea because it melts and gets sticky, especially if you have leftover cake. It reminds me of the way a glazed donut looks on the second day. Not nice to look at or to handle. Just plain sticky. Hope this forewarns you of some of the little pitfalls. However, I really am sold on the microwave cakes, and now
have tried the Turtle Cake and love it too. I even bought myself the 15" Simple Additions square to be able to serve it elegantly at my 1st PC Anniversary party.

What is the Rice Cooker Plus and how can I use it to make cakes?

The Rice Cooker Plus is a versatile kitchen tool from Pampered Chef that can be used to make delicious cakes in a fraction of the time of traditional baking methods. To use it for cake-making, simply spray the inside of the cooker with non-stick cooking spray, pour in your cake batter, and cook according to the recipe's instructions.

Can I use any cake mix or recipe in the Rice Cooker Plus?

Yes, you can use any standard cake mix or recipe in the Rice Cooker Plus. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed, as each recipe may vary. It's also important to note that the Rice Cooker Plus is not recommended for use with angel food cakes or meringues.

How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the Rice Cooker Plus?

To prevent your cake from sticking to the cooker, make sure to generously spray the inside with non-stick cooking spray before adding your batter. You can also try lining the bottom of the cooker with parchment paper for extra insurance.

What are some common troubleshooting tips for using the Rice Cooker Plus to make cakes?

If you find that your cake is not cooking evenly, try rotating the cooker halfway through the cooking time. If the top of your cake is browning too quickly, cover it with foil. If your cake is undercooked, add a few extra minutes to the cooking time. And if your cake is overcooked, try reducing the cooking time or lowering the temperature slightly.

Can I make other types of desserts in the Rice Cooker Plus?

Yes, in addition to cakes, you can also use the Rice Cooker Plus to make other delicious desserts such as cobblers, bread puddings, and even cheesecakes. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly and check for doneness using a toothpick or cake tester.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• elizabethby
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
Replies
Views
chefdoreen