• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Microplane Grater: Pros and Cons

I demo this at EVERY show, usually to make a chocolate garnish. Lots of oohs and aahs; same effect when I use parmesean. It's one of my best sellars.I have gotten lots of oohs and aahs when demoing the microplane grater. Folks see how finely it shreds and how many more 'teeth' it has vs traditional microplanes and how it's sooooo versatile not only in what it can grate but in how it can be used (standing on a cutting board/over a bowl/hand held).I LOVE it! I use it to grate all types of cheeses, because I prefer a fine grate.
tabnat80
Gold Member
Just curious what everyone thought about the microplane grater. I was thinking about getting one but didn't know if I would use it or like it. I've seen it in person and it looks so cute. What do you use yours for and do you use it a lot.

Works great for fresh parmesan, citrus zest, nutmeg, chocolate chips, etc. I love mine.

You get lots of Ooo's and Ah's at shows when they see the parmesan just drip down from the microplane onto the food you are making.

It's absolutely fabulous!!! MUST HAVE THIS!!!! And I do all the same things with it as mentioned above.

I used mine for lemon zest and loved it! I love how you can adjust how it sits, either slanted or flat out over a bowl.

will it work with a block of cheddar to grate?

yes, I have used it before

it works, but because the cheese being softer than parmesan the cheese doesn't come out as well, you are better off using the cheese grater for softer cheeses.

i've used mine for fresh ginger

I actually like how it comes out on the microplane, very fine! :)

I've used it for ginger and fresh garlic. I have however broken 3 of them
they need to make the black plastic more durable

My sister-in-law broke 2 of mine too:eek: . Make sure you don't pull too hard on the back. It has to be pushed over before you can pull it out. Confusing I know, but just be careful until you get the hang of it.

mine all broke midway down the plane on both sides

allisonserna said:
it works, but because the cheese being softer than parmesan the cheese doesn't come out as well, you are better off using the cheese grater for softer cheeses.

You can stick the cheddar in the freezer for 5 minutes or so and then use it - it comes out better then - or of course use the DCG!!

I love this tool. Microplane graters have been around for awhile...it was originally a wood-shaving tool. I had three different sizes before PC came out with theirs. As others have commented, be careful of the pressure you apply...otherwise the black 'frame' will break midway down the plane.

I demo this at EVERY show, usually to make a chocolate garnish. Lots of oohs and aahs; same effect when I use parmesean. It's one of my best sellars.

I've gotten lots of oohs and aahs when demoing the microplane grater. Folks see how finely it shreds and how many more 'teeth' it has vs traditional microplanes and how it's sooooo versatile not only in what it can grate but in how it can be used (standing on a cutting board/over a bowl/hand held).

I LOVE it! I use it to grate all types of cheeses, because I prefer a fine grate. Especially awesome for Romano or Parmesan.
Also grate for zesting citrus os for ginger and fresh nutmeg.
This is one of my favorite tools.

I love it too! I have sold at least 1 at every show! Its my goal to sell it to the people that seem to not like PC or not know much about it, and because its so amazing I think it changes their minds. I personally use it every day because its so much fun and im still amazed at how great it works.

Ok. THanks. You've got me convience that I've got to have this. LOL.

Be careful if you have long fingernails, it's extremely hard to "open" the handle! If my nails are just a bit too long, I find it impossible to press the button to move the handle.

one thing that I love about the greater, is when you do lemon zest, it makes it where the zest just melts in your mouth!! Plus you get tons more zest and Parmesan cheese when using the microplane!

I have only ever used mine to zest lemons...limes...and oranges...and Parm cheese...and just that to me makes it worth my money...I don't like to zest with the zester because I think that it leaves what ever you are making stringy...but if you use the microplane it just adds the flavor without the string.

I absolutely LOVE my grater...I always have a chunk of cheese at my shows and all the guests are shocked at how soft it grates..my daughter's first impression of it was that it looked like it was snowing!!!

I have a confession -- I have only used my microplane once. :( After reading this thread, I have resolved to get it out & use it as much as possible.

pamperedposey said:
My sister-in-law broke 2 of mine too:eek: . Make sure you don't pull too hard on the back. It has to be pushed over before you can pull it out. Confusing I know, but just be careful until you get the hang of it.

ME TOO!!! :grumpy: :yuck: That plastic needs to be better I agree!

Great, fabuluous! One of the best kitchen tools.

Be careful if you have long fingernails, it's extremely hard to "open" the handle! If my nails are just a bit too long, I find it impossible to press the button to move the handle.

I found this out the hard way at my first show. I had to ask a guest to do it for me. lol

I love the Microplane. I wish the plastic guard was scratch resistant, but other than that, I've not had any problems.

I love mine too! I'm going to have to start taking it to my shows though for the Lemon Cakes so I may have to get another one. I use it for garlic and ginger root, makes mush out of it but it's so flavorful!

1. What are the different types of Microplane graters available?

There are several types of Microplane graters, including fine, medium, and coarse graters, as well as zesters and ribbon graters. Each type is designed for specific tasks, such as grating hard cheeses, zesting citrus fruits, and creating thin ribbons of vegetables.

2. What are the benefits of using a Microplane grater?

Microplane graters are known for their sharp and precise blades, which make grating and zesting tasks easier and more efficient. They are also durable and long-lasting, and can be used for a variety of ingredients, including hard cheeses, chocolate, and spices.

3. Are there any downsides to using a Microplane grater?

One potential downside of using a Microplane grater is that the sharp blades can be dangerous if not used properly. It's important to always use caution and keep fingers away from the blades while grating. Additionally, some users may find that the graters are difficult to clean due to their tiny blades.

4. How do I clean and maintain my Microplane grater?

To clean a Microplane grater, it is recommended to first rinse it under hot water to remove any larger particles. Then, use a small brush or toothbrush to remove any remaining food stuck in between the blades. For tougher stains, a small amount of dish soap can be used. To maintain the sharpness of the blades, it is important to store the grater in a protective cover or sleeve.

5. Can I use a Microplane grater for other tasks besides grating and zesting?

Yes, Microplane graters are versatile and can be used for a variety of tasks, such as grating chocolate or hard spices, shredding vegetables, and even creating fine breadcrumbs. However, it is important to note that using the grater for non-food items, such as soap or wax, can dull the blades and affect its performance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jholmes0904
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • ChefDi
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
baychef
Replies