1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Microplane grater lock

1. sassypip

sassypip Member Silver Member

HELP! I want to use thie microplane grater, but I can't get it unlocked. I have had it for 3 months and I keep getting it out and my DH has even tried it and we are afraid we will break the handle off. What am I doing wrong? I have read and reread the driections over and over... THank you!!:cry:

Oct 5, 2009
  2. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Hold it horizontally with the grating part facing down and the handle on top. The hinge should be toward the left. Place your right thumb on the round area that's the end of the hinge. Wrap the fingers of your right hand around the handle, and then close your hand to pull the handle toward your thumb. You will feel resistance - it takes some hand strength. When the handle will not pull any more toward you, rotate it up to open it.

Oct 5, 2009
  3. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

There's a button on the side of the hinge. You have to push hard & hold, then the handle should glide open. Once you release the button, it locks again. The first few times it's a little "stiff". Just push the button and open, close, open, close, etc. before releasing the button. It will help loosen up the hinge a bit.

Oct 5, 2009
  4. scottcooks

scottcooks Veteran Member Gold Member

Think of it like a big letter T.

You have to slide the entire Letter over, not just the end of the handle. It is a little stiff, but works great. (That sturdiness helps when you use it in the extended position over big bowls, saucepans, etc.)

Oct 5, 2009
  5. otisbg

otisbg Advanced Member Gold Member

My director told me to think of it as a bicycle handbrake. Hold the handle facing on top, like a "T", and use your thumb to press in the lock release on the left while gripping the handle like a handle bar. Works everytime!

Oct 6, 2009
  6. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

It's not necessarily a button, the handle shifts. It's hard to see, but there's a picture of a lock and an arrow that points to the direction you need to shift the handle towards. Keeping the handle in the current position, it just slides over to the left (you use your thumb on the circle part-outside of the hinge on the side for leverage). Then you can open the handle to the half way or fully open position. You have to do the same thing when you want to close it, too.

Oct 6, 2009
  7. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I have had cases where the grater is so tight that the customer HAS broken the handle. If you try all of these suggestions, and it still doesn't work, see if HO will replace yours.

Oct 6, 2009
  8. JennLizFran

JennLizFran Member Gold Member

I'm with Noora...the first one I got (in my new consultant kit) would not budge! My mom, myself, and my hubby tried. I ended up breaking the handle! HO replaced it and the new one was smooth and easy!

Oct 6, 2009
Have something to add?