• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Micro Cake in Fluted Baker

In summary, the author recommends using oil to grease the pan, and suggests using a recipe with a lower amount of whipped icing. They also suggest using a hand-mixer and that only a small amount of frosting is necessary.
RMDave
Gold Member
I've never done a cake in the Fluted Baker. Have done Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake aka the Lava Cake many times in the DCB.

Are there any tips microwaving the cake in the Fluted Baker? Any stumbling blocks? Anything I should know of in advance?

Thanks!

The only one I've done is the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries from the Chocolate Bliss theme show. It's delicious!

leftymac said:
The only one I've done is the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries from the Chocolate Bliss theme show. It's delicious!

Do I have to "lube up" the baker? Does the cake pull away from the edges?

I was thinking of using strawberries to cover up any deficiencies in the cake and enhance the overall presentations.

Thanks, Keith!

If you've never used the pan before, I would brush it with oil first.

I just made 10 of them for a youth group camping thing I was cooking for. I think the key is to lube it up good. I pour a small amount of oil in the bottom and brush it really good with the silicone brush. I don't bother to flour it. The recipe I used most was:

cake mix
3 eggs
16 oz sour cream
1/2 c some kind of chips

Micro for 12 minutes. Flip onto plate and leave stone over the top to steam for 10 minutes. Take it off -- waalaa! :D

Easy -- easy -- easy!! We did confetti with white chips, choc w/ choc, choc w/ peanut butter, strawberry with white.

Have fun!
Sandi

Thanks, Sandi.

sandilou said:
1/2 c some kind of chips

Uh, regular tortilla chips or the flavored type? LOL :)

Chocolate chips, etc, Monsieur Dumas.

Well it could have been Dumas Junior!

I've done a German Chocolate cake w/ the pecan frosting dolloped on the top in the fluted stone. I think I cook it for 12 minutes? I spray it with Baker's Joy and have never had a problem with it releasing. I'll have to look up my notes, but I think I let it sit for a few minutes. Then I put a platter on the top of it and then invert it, but leave the stone on it still. Then after 10 minutes or so I take the stone off.Okay, that's terrible input from me...let me go look for my recipe and double check these times. :blushing: :D

Baker's Joy spray works great for "lube"

I use lots of oil and grease it good. Any micro cake recipe will work. I let it sit 10 minutes after, flip it onto platter and then let the pan sit on it another 5 or 10 before removing.

I've made several. Definitely lube it up (I don't use store-bought sprays though)....I use our spritzer. You can "flour" it with either a little bit of reserved cake mix(powder)...or I use Powdered Sugar. Then it's absorbed into the cake without affecting flavor or presentation, vs Flour- which goops and tastes gross to me.HAND-MIX the cake batter. If you use a mixer- it will overflow because of too much whipped-in air. :D Not a fun thing.And finally- only about 2/3 a tub of frosting or so is what you'll need. If you use ALL of it, you could overflow again. I usually use the medium scoop and just plop scoops all the way around the circle...that ends up being just enough. Oh- and don't use WHIPPED icing- but I think that applies to any of the microwave cakes.I've never had a problem with it coming out of the pan when I turn it over. I sometimes run a knife or citrus peeler around the edges before I flip it...but otherwise, not issue.There are several files with various recipe combos you can do for Microwave Cakes. I've done a basic chocolate, but we also like the Strawberry Cake with a vanilla frosting.That's all I can think of. :cool: (Oh..and very funny on the "Monsieur Dumas" comment! LOL)

I use homemade Pan-ease for my stomeware baking. It's just 1 part oil, 1 part Crisco, and 1 part flour. I usually make a batch using 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each, and I keep it in the fridge to use as needed (Just rub it around with a brush or paper towel). Nothing sticks with this stuff.

Thanks for you input, all. I wasn't looking for recipes. I've made the cakes a number of times in the DCB and wanted to use the Fluted Baker for dessert and save the DCB for another recipe. Again, thanks all!

Dave, I don't know if you flip the cake out of the DCB, or serve it as a dump cake. If you haven't flipped, my tip is to be sure you use a platter with upturned edges (NOT the Cake Pedestal), because all that 'lava' will flow. And flow. And flow.My AD made this for a team meeting last week, and used the small scoop for the icing. She also had less flow, and I'm thinking the two are connected, so I'll be trying that next time.Oh, and to answer your question, yes, the edges will pull away from the side of the pan, which is how you know it's done cooking, even though the middle will still seem runny (it cooks when you let it sit covered before flipping).

Thanks, Sarah.At Keith's suggestion, I bought the Simple Additions Large Round Platter specifically for turning out cakes made in the Fluted Baker. I always spooned cakes out of the DCB. I look forward to trying the combo of the baker and the platter.Our LeftyMac always gives good advice ... and sometimes he even gives it in English.

RMDave said:
Thanks, Sarah.

At Keith's suggestion, I bought the Simple Additions Large Round Platter specifically for turning out cakes made in the Fluted Baker. I always spooned cakes out of the DCB. I look forward to trying the combo of the baker and the platter.

Our LeftyMac always gives good advice ... and sometimes he even gives it in English.

Mais tout le monde sait que je préfère donner mes conseils en français.

leftymac said:
Mais tout le monde sait que je préfère donner mes conseils en français.

LOL! Yes, because it's so much less pretentious that way!

(I don't speak French...I just know how to use Google Translate):)

I only did it because he mentioned it!

leftymac said:

I know - it just made me laugh. :D

I just posted about your pork skewers on the LeftyMac thread. :chef:

sandilou said:
I just made 10 of them for a youth group camping thing I was cooking for. I think the key is to lube it up good. I pour a small amount of oil in the bottom and brush it really good with the silicone brush. I don't bother to flour it. The recipe I used most was:

cake mix
3 eggs
16 oz sour cream
1/2 c some kind of chips

Micro for 12 minutes. Flip onto plate and leave stone over the top to steam for 10 minutes. Take it off -- waalaa! :D

Easy -- easy -- easy!! We did confetti with white chips, choc w/ choc, choc w/ peanut butter, strawberry with white.

Have fun!
Sandi

I make this with 2 eggs (and I don't add chips to the batter). This recipe was suggested as a must do when I started. I had asked my director for advice on what I should buy with my free items at my GO show and she said the fluted pan and the flat glazed stone we had at the time (it made a pretty plate & had ridges around the edges). SMART! It was a WOW recipe for sure.

Even after 8 years I still brush oil into the crevices of the stone to avoid cake sticking when I invert it. I do not usually put the frosting on the cake , instead I microwave it for 10-15 seconds in a microcooker and then drizzle it over the cooled cake and add other garnishes as desired - powdered sugar, our sprinkles, chocolate candies/chips, fruit...

At a show I prepare the cake upon arrival, let cool about 5 minutes, invert it on the plate and leave the stone over it. When we start the host tells them what we did so far with the dessert and I lift the stone. Then we do the main recipe and while it's cooking I do the frosting, etc. Even cakes where a piece stayed in the pan look great with a bit of garnish.

leftymac said:

He? He?!?!?! To whom are you referring as "He?"

RMDave said:
He? He?!?!?! To whom are you referring as "He?"

You go by something else?????

esavvymom said:
You go by something else?????

A respectful Sir is adequte.

I did see a consultant once who spread the icing in the bottom of the pan, then poured the batter over it, then cooked it in the microwave. After the oven stopped, she let it rest a few minutes then tipped it over. It really looked like she had iced it. It was kinda pressed in, but not like a lava cake at all. lots of oohs and ahhs
Marghi

Making the pineapple upside cake in the fluted pan is fantastic. I used the melted butter to lube the pan, then add brown sugar (sometimes more is better) pineapple slices (get to use the pineapple wedger) then obviously the cake mix. It is wonderful both in presentation as well as taste! One thing I've not done is let the pan on the cake for the 10 min. after it is flipped and mine have turned out great. I'm making it tomorrow night for a show, so I'll let it set this time.

I've made cakes several times in the fluted stone. I prefer 10 minutes in a standard microwave. Because of the flute, the mix is less dense than in the DCB. If you cook it longer than ten minutes (from what I've found) the cake gets tough.

I do microwave cakes in the flute for that very reason....I make something else in the DCB and do the cake as a second easy recipe. I've sold many fluted stones this way.

I never spray or lube my fluted pan to do the microwave lava cake. The icing "glaze" keeps it from sticking to the pan. I do cut back the water in the recipe to 1 cup so it doesn't overflow. I cook 12 minutes and let sit undisturbed in the microwave for 10 minutes before turning it onto a medium square.

Becca115 said:
I use homemade Pan-ease for my stomeware baking. It's just 1 part oil, 1 part Crisco, and 1 part flour. I usually make a batch using 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each, and I keep it in the fridge to use as needed (Just rub it around with a brush or paper towel). Nothing sticks with this stuff.

My mom has made this for years and always has a container in the fridge. We just called it "cake pan grease" and it does work wonders!

robbiesmom123 said:
Making the pineapple upside cake in the fluted pan is fantastic. I used the melted butter to lube the pan, then add brown sugar (sometimes more is better) pineapple slices (get to use the pineapple wedger) then obviously the cake mix. It is wonderful both in presentation as well as taste! One thing I've not done is let the pan on the cake for the 10 min. after it is flipped and mine have turned out great. I'm making it tomorrow night for a show, so I'll let it set this time.

I'll second the pineapple upside down cake, that's one of my faves in the microwaves. I was never crazy about the looks or texture of the cakes done in the microwave until I tried that one. It has been a hit everytime I've fixed it and the fluted stone makes for a really nice presentation (vs. spooning it out of the DCB).

RMDave said:
I've never done a cake in the Fluted Baker. Have done Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake aka the Lava Cake many times in the DCB.

Are there any tips microwaving the cake in the Fluted Baker? Any stumbling blocks? Anything I should know of in advance?

Thanks!

I make one at almost every show! They are wonderful. I always grease the inside of my pan with solid shortening. There are 2 different versions I like to make:

Lava:
1 devils food cake mix
1 can of milk chocolate frosting
After mixing the cake mix and pouring it into the pan add the whole can of frosting to the top of the cake mix (I use my medium scoop). Microwave 12-13 min.

Extacy (my FAV!!)
1 devils food cake mix- bake in microwave 12-13 min.
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar caramel sauce
1 tub cool whip
After you take the cake out of the microwave and flip it out poke holes in the top of the cake (I use something with a round handle so I get good sized holes) Slowly pour the sweetened condensed milk all over cake making sure you get it in the holes. Then add the whole jar of caramel. Serve with cool whip and the PC sprinkles.

The extacy is a HUGE hit and is always asked for!

Is there an exact recipe for the Pineapple Upside Down cake in the fluted pan? I just got that piece of stoneware and would love to offer this recipe to my next host

Here's the one I use:

Microwave Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Variation from Delightful Desserts cookbook)

1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 pineapple or 1 can pineapple slices
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 pineapple or yellow cake mix
Pineapple Juice
Eggs, Oil as directed by cake mix package
Baker’s Joy cooking spray

1. Spray inside of Stoneware Fluted Pan with Baker’s Joy cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in Small Micro-Cooker in microwave approximately 2 minutes at half power.
3. Add brown sugar and mix with Stainless Whisk until completely blended. Pour butter and sugar mixture into bottom of Fluted Pan.
4. Slice pineapple with Pineapple Wedger, cut pineapple sections into slices. Arrange pineapple slices (fresh or canned) over brown sugar mixture in the stone. Spoon maraschino cherries in to fill any remaining gaps between pineapple slices.
5. In Classic Batter Bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting pineapple juice for the water. I used Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix, 1 1/3 cups pineapple juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 3 large eggs. Pour cake batter over ingredients already in fluted stone.
6. Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted near center of cake comes out clean. If microwave does not have a turn table, rotate fluted stone after 6 minutes.
7. Allow cake to rest for 5 minutes before turning out onto Large Round Platter.
8. Serve with vanilla ice cream using Ice Cream Dipper.

Yield: 16 servings

Cook’s Tips
* To bake the cake in a traditional oven, preheat oven to 325F. Bake 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before turning out.

Thanks Andrea, I'm doing a show next week and am going to offer the host this recipe as a quick and easy dessert!

I actually do the cakes at all my shows in the stoneware fluted pan. I will tell you that I have been told to stay away from the baker's joy because it can gum it up.. I just use regular pam and I do not lube it up too much.. The microwave does not cause it to hard but to be moist and it does not stick but a little bit does help.. You can use ANY CAKE MIX and just follow the directions on the box and use the frosting that matches.. For German Chocolate cake I add all of the pecan frosting but for lemon only about 1/3 and then microwave the rest and glaze it after you flip it out..

hope these help!

So, I just HAD to go to "Google translate", too! You guys are a HOOT! I'm hoping you don't "do" French discussion much 'cuz I love to hear from you about your ideas in English!!!!!

elizabethby said:
Baker's Joy spray works great for "lube"

I'm waiting for my fluted stone arrive but my recruiter used this at my show before I signed. I can't wait to try one of my own. Yum! Yum!

Do you mix the frosting in with the cake batter when you put it in the fluted pan or do you ice it afterwards?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RMDave
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
chefcharity
  • ChefDi
  • Products and Tips
Replies