• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I make Mexican Chicken Napoleons for a large group?

In summary, the recipe was very easy to follow, and my family enjoyed it. They thought it would be better with tortillas, but I think the corn tortillas worked well. I also liked that there were a lot of steps or prep work that could easily be done in advance, so this could be a great hands-on recipe to show. There were a lot of tools and ingredients that could be used, so this could be a great recipe for a variety show.
babywings76
Gold Member
Thought I'd start a thread for this recipe by itself, because this can be an interesting recipe.

It's written in the SB as one of the recipes that can be made using just the New Consultant Kit contents, but if you have other products, this can be made showing a ton of them.

Overall, my family liked the recipe. I think to keep things less fattening and kind of different, the corn tortilla things are good; but I think I'd prefer this over regular tortillas, as I think some others shared before.

This recipe has a lot of steps or prep work and I think could be a great hands-on interactive show.

So, here are all the products I used to make this last night:

Large Grooved Cutting Board
regular Cutting Board
Pizza Cutter
Large Bar Pan
Kitchen Spritzer
Mini-Serving Spatula
Stackable Cooling Rack
DCB
Chili Lime Rub
Salad Choppers
Can Opener
Colander and Bowl Set (small one)
Classic Batter Bowl
MFP
Mini Mix n Scraper
Measuring Cups (the ones for dry measuring)
Microplane Adj. Grater, Coarse
Mini Measure-All Cup
Small Mix n Scraper
Garlic Press
Citrus Press
Bamboo S&P set
Large Scoop
Large Santoku Knife
Pineapple Wedger
Utility Knife
Egg Slicer Plus?
Serrated Peeler
Small Batter Bowl/Small SS Bowl (or a Bamboo or SA piece) For the fruit salsa

First off, I made the tortillas as directed. Meanwhile, I cooked chicken breasts seasoned with some of the Chili Lime Rub in the DCB in the microwave. When it came out, I chopped it with the salad choppers and it stayed there and absorbed it's juices again. (I don't think the final product was too juicy, so I think it was okay and helped it to have good flavor.)

I like to use the colander to rinse the beans and then set the colander in the bowl so it can keep draining while I did the rest of the recipe.

I used the MFP to do the cilantro and red onion. It seemed like it took a little while to do, but it eventually got everything really nice and finely chopped like I wanted. (the recipe says coarse, but my kids will sit there and pick out onions if they see big chunks ;) )

The new coarse grater worked perfectly on the cheese. I couldn't get the Chihuahua cheese, so I just used Monterey Jack. I did this over the regular cutting board.

Finished making the rest of the mixture for the chicken and then added it and the beans to the DCB and put it back in the microwave for a couple minutes.

I used the large scoop to put the mixture on each of the tortillas. I did not stack them. I figured they'd be really difficult to eat that big, plus this would get you 15 servings for a party. Added more of the cheese and baked it.

Meanwhile I did the fruit salsa. I was a little confused by this. How were you meant to consume this salsa? We just ate it separately on our plates and dipped some regular chips in it. But was it supposed to go on top of the napoleans originally?

Another thing, I used the MFP to do the jalapeno and the pineapple. It worked great. I did chop the pineapple into chunks first though.

Another thing I meant to try, but forgot to, was to use the Egg Slicer Plus on the kiwi. Has anyone tried that? I thought so, but wasn't sure, so thought I'd mention it. That's another great tool for this coming season.

babywings76 said:
Meanwhile I did the fruit salsa. I was a little confused by this. How were you meant to consume this salsa? We just ate it separately on our plates and dipped some regular chips in it. But was it supposed to go on top of the napoleans originally?

Another thing I meant to try, but forgot to, was to use the Egg Slicer Plus on the kiwi. Has anyone tried that? I thought so, but wasn't sure, so thought I'd mention it. That's another great tool for this coming season.

In the video they show the salsa on top and around the napoleans.

I do the kiwi with the egg slicer plus all the time (peeled first of course).

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot to watch the video! Doh! That's usually the first thing I do! lol

When I did pineapple last night I wedged it and then made slices and put the half circle shapes in, no need to cut it down further!

wadesgirl said:
When I did pineapple last night I wedged it and then made slices and put the half circle shapes in, no need to cut it down further!

Thanks for testing that out and sharing! I wasn't sure if putting the pineapple in big would result in too much juice. Good to know it's okay then. :)

Wow Amanda! Thanks for the great notes and tips for this recipe. I may have to try it this weekend!

I also made these but overbaked my tortillas a bit. They were still edible but tasted a little off. Watch them carefully--they go from "almost there" to "too brown" very quickly!

Did not think to use the scoop to put the chicken on the tortillas (duh!) or if it said that in the recipe, I missed it. Great idea, either way. I used the mix and scraper and had to pick up little pieces of chicken that fell off and put them back on.

I also grated the last portion of cheese right over the top of them on the pan using the coarse grater and that worked beautifully.

babywings76 said:
Thanks for testing that out and sharing! I wasn't sure if putting the pineapple in big would result in too much juice. Good to know it's okay then. :)

I probably cut about 1/4-1/2" pieces from the half of it and put 5 pieces in the first time and it worked great.

I'm doing this recipe for a party tonight. There's going to be between 15-20 people there the host says. I'm excited but getting nervous...I practiced the recipe again yesterday and now I'm undecided on how to do things. I used the MFP to make the salsa and I don't know if I liked how it came out. It really brought out a lot of the juices from the fresh pineapple and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. ;) It also didn't chop the jalapeno fine enough for my liking. I do use the MFP for the onions and cilantro and think that goes over really well, so I'll definitely be using it for that step. But I'm not sure if I should use it for the salsa.I'm wondering if I should peel the kiwi and use the Egg Slicer on it and then just chop it with a knife and chop up the pineapple, too, or try the MFP again on it. Maybe do the jalapeno with the Food Chopper first? I just don't want a million steps, KWIM?Has anyone done this recipe for an interactive show yet? I'm still debating if it'll be better to prep most of the stuff ahead and do it mostly myself, but calling up people to try things out along the way (giving out tickets) or if I should break it down to steps and hand out #'s for people to have a role in the recipe--or slips of paper with the product name on it or letting them pick up a product at the beginning...So many options, not sure what I want to do yet. I'd love to get some opinions. :D

babywings76 said:
I'm doing this recipe for a party tonight. There's going to be between 15-20 people there the host says. I'm excited but getting nervous...

I practiced the recipe again yesterday and now I'm undecided on how to do things. I used the MFP to make the salsa and I don't know if I liked how it came out. It really brought out a lot of the juices from the fresh pineapple and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. ;) It also didn't chop the jalapeno fine enough for my liking. I do use the MFP for the onions and cilantro and think that goes over really well, so I'll definitely be using it for that step. But I'm not sure if I should use it for the salsa.

I'm wondering if I should peel the kiwi and use the Egg Slicer on it and then just chop it with a knife and chop up the pineapple, too, or try the MFP again on it. Maybe do the jalapeno with the Food Chopper first? I just don't want a million steps, KWIM?

Has anyone done this recipe for an interactive show yet? I'm still debating if it'll be better to prep most of the stuff ahead and do it mostly myself, but calling up people to try things out along the way (giving out tickets) or if I should break it down to steps and hand out #'s for people to have a role in the recipe--or slips of paper with the product name on it or letting them pick up a product at the beginning...

So many options, not sure what I want to do yet. I'd love to get some opinions. :D

Why don't you start with just the jalepeno in the MFP and then add the rest of the stuff. That way it will get finer as you go.

I love the ending product but can't see myself using this as a show demonstration. VERY time consuming. I could, however see myself making just the salsa and baking some corn tortilla chips.

wadesgirl said:
Why don't you start with just the jalepeno in the MFP and then add the rest of the stuff. That way it will get finer as you go.

That was what I was going to suggest too!

And wow- that's quite the list of products! (translation- a lot of dishes to wash :D)

Brenda.the.chef said:
I love the ending product but can't see myself using this as a show demonstration. VERY time consuming. I could, however see myself making just the salsa and baking some corn tortilla chips.

One of my consultants did this recipe last night and she said that it took way too long to put it all together. One of the guests (who had been at several of her shows in the past) said "this is the longest, most complicated PC recipe I've ever seen". She said she won't be doing it at a show again.

Yeah, I agree with you guys. I'm going to put it in first and then add the other things.I've pared down the list because we are just doing it over tortilla chips and not the corn tortillas on the bar pan. Also, I don't bring the batter bowl, I just add things right to the DCB after I chop up the chicken w/ the salad choppers.Here's my outline:Mexican Chicken Napoleans/Chips1. Chili Lime Rub on chicken in Deep Covered Baker
2. Open can of beans w/ Can Opener; rinse & drain in colander w/ bowl
3. Cut onion w/ Veggie Wedger
4. Put onion and cilantro in Manual Food Processor
5. Put ½ of onion & cilantro in SS small mixing bowl
6. Chop chicken w/ Salad Choppers; add beans
7. Add other ½ of onion & cilantro to the DCB
8. Grate cheese w/ Microplane Coarse Grater, measure ¾ cup and add to DCB
9. Measure ¼ cup mayo in small Measure-All cup with Skinny Scraper
10. Use Garlic Press and add 2 cloves of garlic to the DCB; use Small Mix ‘N Scraper and mix all together. Put in microwave for 1 minute and stir.
11. Using Santoku knife and Pineapple Wedger, prepare 2 cups of pineapple
12. Peel kiwi w/ Serrated Peeler, cut off ends w/ Utility Knife and cut kiwi in ½
13. Use Core & More on Jalapeno pepper
14. Add pepper to MFP and pump a few times. Add kiwi and pineapple and process till desired texture. Add to SS bowl.
15. Cut lime in ½ with 5” Santoku knife; use Citrus Press and 2 cup ERMC to collect juice.
16. Measure 2 Tbsp juice and add to SS bowl.
17. Put rest of cheese over top of chicken mixture in DCB and cook for 1 more minute.Other things I'll bring are the Large Grooved Cutting Board, regular cutting board and flexible cutting mats. Large Bamboo Bowl for the tortilla chips and the Dots Pasta Bowl for the salsa to go in.We're also making the Leprechaun Lime Drink in the QSP, so I'm bringing the few things needed for that.

BethCooks4U said:
One of my consultants did this recipe last night and she said that it took way too long to put it all together. One of the guests (who had been at several of her shows in the past) said "this is the longest, most complicated PC recipe I've ever seen". She said she won't be doing it at a show again.

I'm going to do some prep when I get there. I'm going to do 1/2 of the pineapple, so that what I need for the recipe will be ready. I'll leave the other half to just demo how the wedger works. I'm going to peel 2 of the kiwis ahead of time, too.

I think by cutting out the tortilla part where you bake them and such, it'll make it go a lot faster. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It went really well last night. The recipe went together great. Everyone LOVED it. I kept hearing people say how great the salsa was and how it went really well with the chicken & bean mixture. As the chicken was cooking, the ones closest to the microwave were in heaven smelling it. I used the Chili Lime Rub on it (the recipe doesn't have you do that, but has you use S&P later--I skip that). They were impressed with the Salad Choppers on the chicken.I sold 2 DCB's and at least 1 MFP. I'll have to look through receipts again. But I quickly added up receipts from the show and a few outside orders she had for me and we're at almost $900!! She has a few more orders coming in by Saturday when we close it.

Glad it worked out for you! I'm not sure I have the experience to do that big of a recipe--I would have to practice, practice, practice! LOL Thanks for posting so I know what I need to practice!

This recipe sounds soooo good! Note to self....must make soon!!

Thanks for sharing your tips!!

babywings76 said:
It went really well last night. The recipe went together great. Everyone LOVED it. I kept hearing people say how great the salsa was and how it went really well with the chicken & bean mixture. As the chicken was cooking, the ones closest to the microwave were in heaven smelling it. I used the Chili Lime Rub on it (the recipe doesn't have you do that, but has you use S&P later--I skip that). They were impressed with the Salad Choppers on the chicken.

I sold 2 DCB's and at least 1 MFP. I'll have to look through receipts again. But I quickly added up receipts from the show and a few outside orders she had for me and we're at almost $900!! She has a few more orders coming in by Saturday when we close it.

Great. I will have to try it with the Chili Lime Rub. I liked this recipe..but I loved it with the salsa. I will be making the salsa without the onions from now on when I make it for me. I would make this again just to take to work with me for lunch.

How did you make this recipe for such a large group? Did you have to double or triple it? The recipe only makes 6 servings. I'm asking because I was considering doing this at my next show, but the group will be at least 12. Thanks!

atpchef said:
How did you make this recipe for such a large group? Did you have to double or triple it? The recipe only makes 6 servings. I'm asking because I was considering doing this at my next show, but the group will be at least 12. Thanks!

They are large servings!! I would just make it nacho style like (I think!) is mentioned above and let them take what they want.

Okay thanks, wadesgirl! I have a host that wants more of a meal, rather than appetizers, so maybe this isn't such a great recipe for her show. Does anyone have ideas on what I can demo for her show? I'm a farely new consultant too, so I'm trying to find something that's not too crazy haha

I suppose nachos aren't too appetizery though. Maybe my host just needs to compramise! haha...it's a friend from work, so I can yell at her if I have to haha jk

atpchef said:
Okay thanks, wadesgirl! I have a host that wants more of a meal, rather than appetizers, so maybe this isn't such a great recipe for her show. Does anyone have ideas on what I can demo for her show? I'm a farely new consultant too, so I'm trying to find something that's not too crazy haha

The 3 Cheese Garden Pizza recipe that came with the New Consultant kit is an awesome recipe! Or how about doing the 15 minute Fajitas in the DCB! Great recipes that are also easy and impressive and great tasting! :)

atpchef said:

I don't have a recipe suggestion..but watch how much of a "meal" you make. I mean to make a main course for them to try is one thing..but we are not caterers. If you do that from the start that is what people will treat you like.

Yeah I suggested the fajitas. She's just being difficult. I'll probably stick with the Napoleons ( I tried them last night and thought they were delicious!)...also, I was kind of looking into the Mexican Lasagna.

You are a new consultant. She really needs to give you a break and be supportive. All of these recipes are delicious and please the crowd. ;)

You are all right. Thanks for your help!

The family mexican lasagna in the DCB cookbook is delicious and a great show recipe...great hands-on and interactive.

For the napoleans, I made them at a show that had 13-15 guests. I didn't cut the tortillas down and then when they came out of the oven, I cut them in quarter wedges. That way everyone could try at least one and then come back for more if they wanted.

atpchef said:

I've made them as a single layer...will give you twice as much!

Question 1: What are the ingredients needed to make Mexican Chicken Napoleons for a large group?

The ingredients needed to make Mexican Chicken Napoleons for a large group are: chicken breasts, corn tortillas, black beans, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, chili lime rub, Chihuahua cheese (or Monterey Jack), jalapeno, pineapple, kiwi, and salt and pepper.

Question 2: What tools are needed to make Mexican Chicken Napoleons?

The tools needed to make Mexican Chicken Napoleons are: a large grooved cutting board, a regular cutting board, a pizza cutter, a large bar pan, a kitchen spritzer, a mini-serving spatula, a stackable cooling rack, a deep covered baker, salad choppers, a can opener, a colander and bowl set, a classic batter bowl, a manual food processor, a mini mix n scraper, measuring cups, a microplane adjustable grater, a mini measure-all cup, a small mix n scraper, a garlic press, a citrus press, a bamboo salt and pepper set, a large scoop, a large santoku knife, a pineapple wedger, a utility knife, and a serrated peeler.

Question 3: How do you cook the chicken for Mexican Chicken Napoleons?

To cook the chicken for Mexican Chicken Napoleons, season it with chili lime rub and cook it in the deep covered baker in the microwave. Once cooked, chop the chicken with salad choppers and let it absorb its juices again.

Question 4: How do you make the fruit salsa for Mexican Chicken Napoleons?

To make the fruit salsa for Mexican Chicken Napoleons, finely chop jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro using a manual food processor. Then, mix in lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Finally, add chopped pineapple, kiwi, and black beans to the mixture.

Question 5: Can you make Mexican Chicken Napoleons using only the ingredients in the New Consultant Kit?

Yes, you can make Mexican Chicken Napoleons using only the ingredients in the New Consultant Kit. However, you can also add other products such as the Salad Choppers or Manual Food Processor to enhance the recipe and make it more interactive for a show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scrappergirl7
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • lesliebakes
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
StacieB