• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Mexican Chicken Lasagna - Perfect for Friends and Family Gatherings!

Please help!!I made it for the first time at my show last night (all friends so I wasn't too worried).I'm sure I'll have questions about it later, but wanted to get them out in public before the kitchen gets too busy. Thanks!Oh, and didn't use the fresh cilantro...Just dried. P.S. Here's a pic of me tucking into it with my daughter. :)Oh, and did not have
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Another thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I made it for the first time at my show last night (all friends so I wasn't too worried).

The host's sister can have flour so she was concerned about the tortillas and asked if I could use corn ones...I said, "Of course, the recipe calls for it!"

Everyone loved it, it tasted great. I served it with sour cream on the side topped with chopped cilantro for decoration.

My host made the chocolate mint torte for dessert - YUMMO!

I don't eat at shows normally but these are all friends/camp co-workers so I ate. My tummy was happy at the end of the night!

Oh, I used green chile enchilada sauce - a little "nip", just enough without being "spicy".I thought the green worked good with chicken/onion.

I am making that today...good to hear!--Well the guests are making it today..I love the interactive shows!!!

I made it for my family and didn't change the recipe at all and we all loved it. I live in TX, so I am quite used to the Tex/Mex flavoring and I thought it was really good. I couldn't find mild enchilada sauce just medium so that added quite a kick (not spicy, just enough to make you drink 2 glasses of water at dinner).

janetupnorth said:
Oh, I used green chile enchilada sauce - a little "nip", just enough without being "spicy".

I thought the green worked good with chicken/onion.

It was okay with the red sauce, but we really loved it with the green sauce!

Next time though, I am going to add a layer of black beans and corn. I think that will make it just perfect!

(It's like adding veggies to regular lasagna - I usually add at least spinach and mushrooms to that)

The first time I made it was awesome- used fresh cilantro, a little extra cheese, and one 10-oz can of red mild sauce and one 10-oz can of green mild. I found that the perfect amount of sauce- I don't like to pour all of the extra on it- makes it too soupy for my liking.But the second time I went to make it, I didn't have fresh cilantro like I thought (I need an herb-keeper ;) . ) So I substituted with dried for the appropriate amount. My 7 yr old, who LOVED the first time, took two bites and said "Mom, what did you change in this recipe?" Floored me! I lied and said "nothing". He took a few more bites and said "I'm sorry..I can't. THat white stuff (the cheese mix) just isn't right. Can I have something else to eat?" I just laughed and let him get something else. SO USE FRESH CILANTRO! It really does make a difference! :)

I totally agree with you esavvymom - the recipe calls for the 28oz can of sauce, and mine came out super-soupy (delicious, but soupy). Next time I'll use a cup less.

Well, I have to say THANKS for this repeat thread on this recipe. My son's home from college this weekend and it was a perfect recipe for supper. He loved it.

I do the directions exactly as our test kitchens suggest (including let it set for a few minutes after coming out of the oven) and it's perfect. Not soupy at all. Perfect and yummy!

I made it today and used ground beef instead of chicken, 1 can each of the green chile and 1 red sauce, and I cooked the onions (and some garlic) in with the hamburger. My hubby prefers hamburger, but honestly, I think I prefer the taste of the chicken after having both now. I think next time I'll either use 2 cans of green chile or medium on the red because it needed more "va-voom"!!!! Oh, and I used dried cilantro too - and I agree, fresh is WAY better!!

c00p said:
I made it today and used ground beef instead of chicken, 1 can each of the green chile and 1 red sauce, and I cooked the onions (and some garlic) in with the hamburger. My hubby prefers hamburger, but honestly, I think I prefer the taste of the chicken after having both now. I think next time I'll either use 2 cans of green chile or medium on the red because it needed more "va-voom"!!!! Oh, and I used dried cilantro too - and I agree, fresh is WAY better!!

OHHH...Ground meat, alright!!! Good to know!

Question - I'm going to do this tomorrow night at a show, but found out today (yeah, I know, I'm soooo on the ball) that her microwave is too small, so we're going to cook this in the oven before/while the guests are arriving. So my question is, how long??? I'm thinking like maybe 25-30 minutes at 350???? Thoughts?????

Love this recipe! So yummy!!! We dont eat onions, so I took those out and added the layer of black beans...yummy!Also, did not have the cilantro, so I grated a little lime. TO DIE FOR!I always tell people that is why I love PC Recipes....so versatile!

Grated lime? You mean the zest? Did you use lime juice too? I've only made it according to the directions (plus a little "juan pollo" hot sauce to the enchilada sauce), and all these suggestions sound great!

yes sorry! the zest! lol

I must be odd LOL We made this at our cluster meeting on Tuesday and I did not like it at all :( We followed the directions and everyone else loved it but I could not eat it. I am thinking it must be the enchilada sauce because I never had that before but I have had everything else. I just could not stomach the taste :( Any ideas of a different sauce that can be used?

How about baking this puppy- how long???????????????????

c00p said:
How about baking this puppy- how long???????????????????

Please don't bake any puppies! :rolleyes:

I would quess around 30 minutes would be perfect.

Fluffy215 said:
I must be odd LOL We made this at our cluster meeting on Tuesday and I did not like it at all :( We followed the directions and everyone else loved it but I could not eat it. I am thinking it must be the enchilada sauce because I never had that before but I have had everything else. I just could not stomach the taste :( Any ideas of a different sauce that can be used?

You could try the green enchilada sauce. We like that much better in our family.

Yes, the green chile enchilada sauce was much much better. We totally loved it! This one is definitely a keeper in my house. I really could have this once a week. :)

Thank you. I will try it with the green on your recommendation. And at least it's not that expensive that if I don't like it I will take it to work and give it to them. They never turn down free food LOL

Fluffy215 said:
Thank you. I will try it with the green on your recommendation. And at least it's not that expensive that if I don't like it I will take it to work and give it to them. They never turn down free food LOL

Maybe taco sauce?

lestat_de_leon said:
Please don't bake any puppies! :rolleyes:

I would quess around 30 minutes would be perfect.
Nah, I just nibble on 'em!!!! :D

[/QUOTE]
SO USE FRESH CILANTRO! It really does make a difference! :)[/QUOTE]

Fresh Cilantro always makes a difference!

Ok, my only concern is corn tortillas? I always am used to flour. Do they taste good with the corn tortillias?

Schel

daniellecooks said:
I totally agree with you esavvymom - the recipe calls for the 28oz can of sauce, and mine came out super-soupy (delicious, but soupy). Next time I'll use a cup less.

Danielle, mine turned out soupy too. I thought the same as you - I'll just use a little less next time. I wonder if its a difference in brands.

Bottom line, my kids who don't like anything 'spicy' absolutely LOVED this recipe.

schel said:
Ok, my only concern is corn tortillas? I always am used to flour. Do they taste good with the corn tortillias?

Schel
This recipe is delicious with the corn tortillas! Dipping them in the sauce moistens them so they soften up during cooking.

Personally, I think that flour tortillas would turn to glue when cooked in the sauce.

chefann said:
This recipe is delicious with the corn tortillas! Dipping them in the sauce moistens them so they soften up during cooking.Personally, I think that flour tortillas would turn to glue when cooked in the sauce.
I had it with the flour tortillas (my AD made it - she's allergic to corn) and it was okay - but it's much better made with the corn. And the corn tortillas do hold up better under the sauce.

myinnerchef said:
Danielle, mine turned out soupy too. I thought the same as you - I'll just use a little less next time. I wonder if its a difference in brands.

Bottom line, my kids who don't like anything 'spicy' absolutely LOVED this recipe.

I made this twice and both times it seemed quite soupy. I emailed the PC test kitchen and they confirmed that it is a 28 oz can. They did say to let it set for about 15 - 20 minutes after cooking to let it soak in.

I think that I will do the 2 x 10 oz cans next time though.

I made this the other night for my family..wanted to try it out for a show I have at the end of the month...honestly---I had to throw it out...My husband ate the most of it---I could not get past the cilantro..or maybe it was the enchilada sauce..I took about 3 bites and that was all I could stomach..It looked beautiful in the baker though and I really wanted to like it..but I don't.. I am probably not the norm..but I would not make it at a show unless I specifically asked people if they liked cilantro and enchilada sauce...oh- well live and learn...Glad I was not the only one who did not like...

I've made it twice now and I haven't had it become soupy - but I did let it sit for right at 15 minutes each time.

c00p said:
I've made it twice now and I haven't had it become soupy - but I did let it sit for right at 15 minutes each time.

Really? What did I do wrong then, I used 1 & 1/2 can sauce, not even the 28oz it called for. Taste great, but it wasn't lasagna, it was soup. I can't show this at a show, just want to know do I dare use only 1 15oz can and hope for the best at her show? She really wants the DCB at her show and I don't have another night to practice, I have to work 8-5 tomorrow, CPR 5-8:30, will not get home until 9:30PM, and then work 8-12 Thurs and my show is Thurs night.

What do you all think? (I know to many irons in the fire by Friday I am going to CRASH!!) Go into the show and hope for the best with the recipe? or do the old faithful taco ring??

Please give me your thoughts so I can better make a decision.

Thanks.
Schel

I use the 28 oz can and it has not been soupy for me. I've made it twice, with 2 different brands of sauce.

Ditto; I used a 28 oz. can and it was perfect. I did use the green enchilada sauce as we are not big fans of the red sauce.

I also like to pair this with the Creamy Mojito Torte.... the two together would make a get cino de mayo(?) theme show....Maybe throw in the Triple Citrus Mojito Drink!

Umm I feel a bit dumb, but is enchilada sauce the same as salsa? The recipe I printed calls for 650mL salsa....not enchilada sauce. Is it different on this side of the border??

The recipe is different in Canada, according to other posters. Enchilada sauce is a smooth, thin sauce. Salsa usually has chunks. You could interchange them, but the salsa would add more pieces of vegetables.

chefann said:
The recipe is different in Canada, according to other posters.

Enchilada sauce is a smooth, thin sauce. Salsa usually has chunks. You could interchange them, but the salsa would add more pieces of vegetables.

that is weird! :rolleyes:

I am going to do a trial before my show tomorrow eve. Only 1 15 oz, can sauce, and 1/2 with corn tortilla's and 1/2 with flour tortilla's. I will have my neighbor try both and whichever one she likes or not will be my deciding factor. I am a good cook, so I will alter the recipe for what I think will work better and let you all know. I just am not a big fan of corn tortilla's and I have made a mexican lasagna many times in the actual oven with my 9X13 stone and flour tortilla's and I think it tastes much better with flour tortilla's. I still can't believe that a 28oz can turned out not like soup. I added about 20 oz not even the full 2 cans of 15 oz each and it still was soup.
I'll let you know what I get.
Schel

ChefBeckyD said:
It was okay with the red sauce, but we really loved it with the green sauce!

Next time though, I am going to add a layer of black beans and corn. I think that will make it just perfect!

(It's like adding veggies to regular lasagna - I usually add at least spinach and mushrooms to that)

I haven't made it yet but I was thinking it would be good with black beans and corn. Good minds think alike.

I made this for dinner last night and it was great! We did black beans and corn and I loved it. Too much cilantro though - blech. I think next time I'll make it with whole wheat tortillas as I found the corn to be a bit too hard. maybe it will be better as lunch today since it had time to soak up the salsa juice.

Remade this with 1/2 flour tortilla's, 1/2 corn tortillia's and less sauce... Brought it over for my friend to try and wholah! I did it! In fact she and I like the flour side better. Guess it is all in what you like. Got to go get ready for my show!
Schel

I have made this four times and my family really loves it. One change I make is to use two 10 ounce cans of enchilada sauce mixed with one small can (8 ounce) tomato sauce. This tones down the enchilada sauce for those who are not used to it. I have used fresh cilantro each time, too. Had no problem with it becoming soupy, but I bake it for 16 minutes in the microwave and then I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before serving.

I made this at my show yesterday. They liked it but I wasn't impressed. I followed the directions exactly and it wasn't soupy. Well, except I used less cilantro because I don't like a lot of cilantro...and they said they didn't like cilantro. I did use fresh cilantro...actually the first time I have ever used fresh cilantro. I thought it needed something...kinda bland. So, I like the idea of the black beans and corn and maybe substituting green chili sauce. I don't know about switching salsa for the ench. sauce. And, I think I might like it better with ground beef.

I will give it another try before I throw it out...lol

I made this again at my show yesterday with some modifications. We used ground beef instead of chicken and we added layers of black beans and corn instead of the onion. I used an 18oz can of enchilada sauce and the host made a few alterations of her own. She bought flour tortillas instead of corn and dried cilantro instead of fresh.Despite all the changes, there wasn't a bite left - and it wasn't soupy this time around. It was kind of bland without the fresh cilantro, but this group wasn't a big fan of cilantro so the toned down taste was probably okay for them.

I too have made this recipe several times. I like to mix the red and the green sauce to take some of the heat. We add a layer of rinsed black beans or pinto beans to it at well.
I have also made it with left over pork roast and beef roast. The pork is fantastic with fresh cilantro.
This is one of my morph recipes I talk about at budget friendly meals (how to make leftovers not look like leftovers) and people really like it.
The wheat shells and the corn shells seem to work the best. All in all it's a grat addition to my lineup of recipes.

Winnipegk said:
I made this for dinner last night and it was great! We did black beans and corn and I loved it. Too much cilantro though - blech. I think next time I'll make it with whole wheat tortillas as I found the corn to be a bit too hard. maybe it will be better as lunch today since it had time to soak up the salsa juice.

I want to try this recipe - and offer it as a Theme Show. I understand that you DID use Salsa? ---- how did it turn out????

I made this for my host appreciation event and it was, hands down, the favorite of all the recipes I made. But now I have a question for all you WW fans...anyone tried it with FF cream cheese? My show next Saturday wants to make it WW friendly...is it OK to go with FF or should I steer her toward low-fat instead?

TIA

stefani2 said:
I want to try this recipe - and offer it as a Theme Show. I understand that you DID use Salsa? ---- how did it turn out????

I did it with salsa and it was great. I had it again with regular tortillas instead of corn and it was fabulous!

Just be sure to have the host measure her microwave because most of my hosts can't do a demo with the DCB in the micro.

1. Can I use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas in this recipe?

Yes, the recipe calls for corn tortillas so feel free to use those instead of flour tortillas.

2. How did the guests at your show respond to the Mexican Chicken Lasagna?

The guests at the show loved the Mexican Chicken Lasagna! It received a lot of positive feedback and was a hit with everyone who tried it.

3. Did you serve anything alongside the lasagna?

I served the lasagna with sour cream on the side, topped with chopped cilantro for decoration. It added a nice touch to the dish and was a delicious addition.

4. What did you think of the chocolate mint torte that your host made for dessert?

The chocolate mint torte was absolutely delicious! It paired perfectly with the Mexican Chicken Lasagna and was a great way to end the meal.

5. Do you typically eat at your shows?

No, I usually do not eat at shows, but since these were all friends and coworkers, I made an exception and my tummy was very happy by the end of the night!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies