• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mexican Chicken Lasagna Question

In summary, the author is looking for tortillas and cannot find any in either Walmart or the three grocery stores in her area. She has also checked with the other tortillas in the bread section and in the Mexican aisle and even asked employees. The author suggests using regular flour tortillas instead and if so, there is nothing different that needs to be done to the recipe.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I've searched and searched and searched and neither Walmart nor the three grocery stores in my area carry corn tortillas. I've checked with the other tortillas in the bread section and in the Mexican aisle as well and even asked employees. Can I use regular flour tortillas instead and if so, is there anything different I need to do to the recipe? Thanks for any and all help :)

I would not use flour tortillas. How can they not have corn tortillas? That is odd!

DebbieJ said:
I would not use flour tortillas. How can they not have corn tortillas? That is odd!

Did you look in the ethnic section, some don't have to be refrigerated....HTH

I used flour one time (Hubby bought flower by accident) and it turned out fine, the flour makes it a little harder to eat cuz it doesn't crumble like corn tortillas and you have to saw at it sometimes, but it still tasted good.

Jodi I googled corn tortillas in ontario canada & got some info, but I don't know If these places are near you....HTH

Karma Co-op has Sabores Latinos tortillas in the freezer.

Sabores Latinos at the St. Lawrence farmer's market on Saturday mornings. The owner's name is Andy Rattray. He sells the best soft corn tortillas I have ever found in Toronto.

There are more...

I use flour or wheat tortillas all the time. I actually prefer them. However, one time I had a host buy taco shells, they worked well too. I just broke them in half and layered them. Cooking is an art... make the recipe your own! :)

Hmm..okay now I"m not sure what we're having for dinner tonight :( I'm taking the kids to the dentist this afternoon so there's one more place I'll try then. Thanks everyone.

Ginger, thanks for googling it for me but no, unfortunately those places are 1.5 hours away in Toronto. We have 4 different grocery chains and a Super Walmart within an hour radius in 2 cities and a bunch of towns but that's it. I've tried all but one I just thought of.

When you all buy them are they in the bread section, freezer, or ethnic? I tried the bread and ethnic but never thought to check the freezer or refrigerated....

kcjodih said:
Hmm..okay now I"m not sure what we're having for dinner tonight :( I'm taking the kids to the dentist this afternoon so there's one more place I'll try then. Thanks everyone.

Ginger, thanks for googling it for me but no, unfortunately those places are 1.5 hours away in Toronto. We have 4 different grocery chains and a Super Walmart within an hour radius in 2 cities and a bunch of towns but that's it. I've tried all but one I just thought of.

When you all buy them are they in the bread section, freezer, or ethnic? I tried the bread and ethnic but never thought to check the freezer or refrigerated....

I always get mine in the refrigerated section, usually with the other refrigerated tortillas. I don't know where yours would be located, but usually the tortillas are close to the butter, other dairy, and refrigerated biscuits and cookie dough.

Wierd...ours are ALL located in the bread section. Occassionally in one or two stores they will also have one brand, in two sizes, of the white flour tortillas with the boxed taco packages in the ethnic aisle but that's it. Thanks Becky! I'll be looking in those areas today when I also try to find back up dinner plans :(

I buy my tortillas flour and corn in the bread section.

One of our Super Walmarts has them in the refrigerator cases near the deli. The other Super Walmart has them in the bread isle. The corn ones, that is. The flour tortillas are found in all 3 sections (refrigerator, bread, and ethnic) in all of our stores, it seems.

I can find them wherever the Flour Tortillas would be...in some of my stores that would be both the bread section, the refrigerated section- and ALSO the ethnic (Hispanic food) sections. So wherever you find your flour tortillas, you should find the corn tortillas too...especially I would think at Walmart. THey are usually in a thicker stack (mine I think have 20 in a pack)- unlike flour tortillas which typically are thinner packages. Also, they'll be small-round, not larger like tortillas. They will be the same color often times too- so you may just have to bend over (mine are always on the bottom shelf! :D) and check the labels. Maybe they are there, but just "blend in" with the others>Good luck!

That is so funny! I can't imagine a grocery store not having corn tortillas, but then I live on the West Coat & Mexican food is very prevalent here! And my husband is Mexican, so it's pretty much a staple for us ... I don't think it would be a good with flour tortillas and it would add calories to it (if you care). The corn tortillas have such a distinct flavor & they will hold together and not get mushy ... do you have Trader Joes there? Any other kind of specialty food store? Good luck!!

I make it with the flour tortillas and Ground beef all the time! we actually prefer it.

Last edited:

1. How do I make Mexican Chicken Lasagna?

To make Mexican Chicken Lasagna, you will need cooked chicken, lasagna noodles, enchilada sauce, salsa, cheese, and any desired toppings such as black beans, corn, or bell peppers. Begin by layering the ingredients in a greased baking dish, starting with a layer of enchilada sauce, followed by a layer of noodles, chicken, and salsa. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used up. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Can I make Mexican Chicken Lasagna ahead of time?

Yes, you can assemble the lasagna ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to bake. You may need to add an extra 5-10 minutes to the baking time if the lasagna is cold when placed in the oven. Alternatively, you can also freeze the assembled lasagna for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before baking.

3. Can I use ground beef instead of chicken?

Yes, you can substitute ground beef for the chicken in this recipe. Brown the ground beef before layering it in the lasagna. You can also use a combination of both chicken and beef for added flavor.

4. Do I have to use traditional lasagna noodles?

No, you can use any type of lasagna noodles for this recipe. Whole wheat or gluten-free noodles can also be used. You can also substitute the noodles with corn tortillas for a gluten-free option.

5. What are some good toppings for Mexican Chicken Lasagna?

Some popular toppings for Mexican Chicken Lasagna include diced avocado, cilantro, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and crushed tortilla chips. You can also add some hot sauce or pickled jalapenos for a spicy kick. Get creative and add your favorite toppings to make the dish your own!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kmom820
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kmom820
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lovenpc
  • pampchefrhondab