• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tenderizing Meat: Rough Side or Smooth Side?

In summary, using the rough side for tougher cuts of meat results in a torn up chicken breast, whereas using the smooth side results in a more tender chicken.
sunnygirl in nd
Maybe a dumb question but which side do you use to tenderize meat - I used the rough side but it seemed to tear up the chicken breast.

Rough side for really tough cuts of beef, especially large pieces.
Smooth side for chicken. You're just trying to make it all one thickness.I finally made the cyw with this tonight, and loved it. Also, because you are using the smooth side, you can have the meat in a ziplock and not get "chicken ick" all over everything.

I'm with Marghi - I use the smooth side for chicken. I pound it between wax paper (which is less expensive than ziplocks).
The pointed side is for tenderizing tough cuts and I don't use wax paper or plastic for that - it would get embedded in the meat.

wax paper is a good idea

Thank you! I just tried my new pan and press and love it! I have my first show next week.

The smooth side is also great for crushing graham crackers, cookies, and such. I think of the rough/pointy side for making cube steak or, of course, for personal protection.

I use the pointed side for chicken. It makes the meat fork tender. It looks torn up but when you took it, it will come out looking like a normal piece of chicken. To me it makes it so much more tender and easier to eat when it is cooked. I dont use ziplocks or anything just pat the chicken dry and pound it.

I use the smooth side for the chicken. Here's a tip: Add a little bit of oil (canola, veg., etc.) in a ziploc bag and put the chicken in the bag and seal. Tenderize away. The oil keeps the chicken from getting "stringy". :)

Last edited:
When we tried adding water or oil to the bag, it made the chicken kind of slip and slide around in the bag, making it hard to tenderize. Any tips on that?

You aren't supposed to pierce raw chicken, it makes it loose more juices when cooking and then it will turn out dry.

babywings76 said:
When we tried adding water or oil to the bag, it made the chicken kind of slip and slide around in the bag, making it hard to tenderize. Any tips on that?

I would try a smaller bag and one piece of chicken at a time. I'm only putting 1/2 teaspoon of oil in the bag. Hope that helps.

Chicken doesn't need to be tenderize. The main reason chicken ends up tasting dry is due to overcooking. If you want really moist flavorful chicken then marinade it first. If you flatten the thick end of the chicken breast then the chicken will cook 3-5 each side and stay moist all the way down and across.

dip the "pointy" side in sugar and press on peanut butter cookies for a pretty top and its quicker than the fork smashing way our grandmas did it

where's that "like" button--like that peanut butter tip!M

1. What is the difference between the rough side and smooth side of a meat tenderizer?

The rough side of a meat tenderizer has small, sharp points that help break down the muscle fibers in tough cuts of meat. The smooth side is used for flattening and pounding meat to an even thickness.

2. Which side should I use to tenderize a specific type of meat?

For tougher cuts of meat, such as steak or pork chops, it is recommended to use the rough side of the tenderizer. For thinner cuts of meat, like chicken breasts, the smooth side can be used to flatten and tenderize the meat.

3. Can I use a meat tenderizer on all types of meat?

Meat tenderizers can be used on most types of meat, including beef, pork, chicken, and even fish. However, it is not recommended for use on delicate cuts of meat like fish or thin cuts that may become too thin and fall apart.

4. How long should I tenderize meat for?

The amount of time needed to tenderize meat will vary depending on the type and thickness of the meat. As a general rule, it's best to tenderize for 10-15 minutes, but tougher cuts may require longer tenderizing times.

5. Can I use a meat tenderizer on frozen meat?

No, it is not recommended to use a meat tenderizer on frozen meat. The meat should be fully thawed before tenderizing to ensure that it cooks evenly and to prevent any potential food safety issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
higoobs
  • darlinclem
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
vmgcooks
  • Mystik