• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Finding Balance: Addressing an Overworked Consultant

In summary, this woman has been working her business to death, and she does not have the right goals in mind. She is asking for help from the person she is selling to, but she does not seem to be willing to change her actions to match her goals.
finley1991
I didn't want to hijack Deb's thread but Linda posted something that I'd like some input on...

Linda said,

I learned a good phrase at Director Retreat to tell my consultants "I will match MY time with YOUR efforts"...I love that one

I have a consultant (TL at the moment but am waiting for the PT to update to see if she still is...) who works her business to death. But on ALL of the wrong things. Well, not ALL, but on A LOT of the wrong things. I've mentioned her here before.

She eeks out her $1250 each month now (has since September) but about 1/3 of that is from her buying product in her name, her husband's or her daughter's. She's having a few open houses last week and this week to unload the stuff. I know it's not a way to maintain a business... that's how people go broke in direct sales.

Anyway, she does 1-2 cooking shows each month and another 1-2 catalog shows. She does A LOT of tables. At least 3-4 a month. She likes the interaction with customers and 'getting leads' (although she rarely follows up because she doesn't have the time). She doesn't sell much at the tables... it's just for leads. She sometimes unloads her products there as well. She attends networking events and meet-up groups. She conducts A LOT (at least once a week) of recruiting interviews but doesn't follow HO's plan (going through the Join Us booklet or even following the inform, invite, interview process... she goes straight for the interview and gets a TON of No's.) In the 5 years she's been with PC, she's signed 16 and qualified 4. She also tells EVERYONE she does this as her full-time job.

She spends A LOT of time on her biz... unfortunately, not on the right things.

So my question is, because I've heard what Linda mentioned before, and so has this consultant... she WANTS/EXPECTS me to match my time with her efforts, yet her efforts are not where they should be.

How would you approach that? I'd love any thoughts here. I can't seem to find a balance... My goal in December is to find balance with my personal biz and my team's...

On a side note, after our BTB meeting in January, I'm going to run a weekly Director Express training with the ones (including her) who did the SUYB with me in the fall. My plan is to go through the 6 fundamentals and work with each participant beginning with Prospecting. Once they get their 6-8 shows on the books, we'll move on to mastering Host Coaching, and then move on from there. IMO, there's no sense in covering the other stuff if they don't have the shows on the books. Maybe that will help with this one?

I have to laugh at this a little bit because your consultant kinda sounds a little bit like me. When I get to the point of sabotaging the next level of my success I start doing a lot of busy work, so it feels like I am really working my business. I can find something PC to do all day long. There is a phrase that my upline says all the time and it used to drive me nuts...Income Producing Activity. All of her actions are good ones. They are helpful elements to her business, but it is mostly busy work. Ask her if the meet ups, networking and booths are IPAs for her. If she is not following up on her leads then her booths aren't IPAs, they are just busy work as well.

If she is close enough to you to have a face to face with her I would. I would present her with your impressions of her activities and ask her what she really wants from her business. Show her what full-time with PC looks like and should generate. I think if you can get her to focus on what she wants from her business with clear steps on how to get there she'll be a lot more productive. I think that this meeting has to happen before you do the Director Express with her because she'll just busy herself with the steps involve and not the work.

I've been where she is, so I can relate.

I have spent this entire year focusing on my team, and it has WORKED! I repromoted to Director, then followed that by promoting two directors which promoted me to an Advanced Director, by goal is to be a Sr. Dir. by conference. It HAS taken time from my personal business, but it is worth it - I am working on a 2 year goal to promote to Exec. and quit my job.

However, I am in constant contact with my organization-- even the non performers, because you just never know...

I have done the SUYB program 3 times this year (makes my world go round! love it), during the summer we did a weekly call called HOT TAMALE calls where I would email a training MP3 to them the week before they had to listen to it before the call and then we talked about the best ideas we took from the call - it was about a 30 min call, but it kept everyone in contact and focusing on their business. We also did a series of calls based on Director Express where we listened to the Desination Director recorded calls.

For the past 2 months I have been doing individual training calls with my directors and the two that are actively pursuing directorship in my organization. In January we will start Step Up again.

The thing that I have changed the most about my leadership style is for the ones who tell me their goals I work with them towards their goals and each week they have action steps from me to complete. When they do not complete their action steps the call goes something like this, " Amy - you told me that your goal was to have 4 shows a month to pay your gas bill this winter, I'm seeing that you do not have 4 shows booked this month, has your goal changed? No? OK, what progress did you make on your actions steps? Oh, you didnt have time to make your contacts? Why don't you make those 5 calls we talked about right now and I will call you back in 1/2 hour."

After a few of these conversations, they just do the action steps because they know I will keep them accountable.

I had big goals for my business and decided to set big expectations for my team and they have risen to the challenge, before I was too worried about making them mad by asking them about what they did and didn't do and they were all just pursuing the minimums.

WOW! Just Wow! I never thought of it that way! A BIG bulb just went off for me! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Linda,Thank you for sharing that phrase from Director Retreat. It's a great reminder to consultants that their success is a result of their own efforts and dedication.I can understand your frustration with your consultant who is working hard but not on the right things. It's important for us to focus on the activities that will bring the most success and income to our business. Perhaps it would be helpful to have a conversation with her and share your observations and concerns. You can also offer suggestions on how she can better utilize her time and efforts to achieve her goals.Your plan for a weekly Director Express training sounds like a great idea. Focusing on the fundamentals and providing support and guidance can definitely help your team members find balance and success in their businesses.Keep up the great work and continue to lead by example. Your dedication and passion for this business will inspire others to do the same.Best of luck to you and your team!Sincerely,
- Pampered Chef Consultant

What can I do to avoid feeling overwhelmed as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a consultant, it is important to prioritize your tasks and delegate when possible. Set realistic goals for yourself and take breaks when needed. Remember to also take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough rest, eating well, and practicing self-care.

How can I better manage my time as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Time management is key to finding balance as a consultant. Utilize tools such as a planner or digital calendar to schedule your tasks and appointments. Prioritize your tasks and focus on completing one at a time. Eliminate distractions and delegate tasks when possible.

What should I do if I am feeling burnt out as a Pampered Chef consultant?

If you are feeling burnt out, it is important to take a step back and evaluate your workload. Communicate with your team and leaders about your concerns and see if there are any tasks that can be delegated or rearranged. Take breaks and practice self-care to recharge and prevent burnout in the future.

How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance as a Pampered Chef consultant?

To maintain a healthy work-life balance, it is important to set boundaries and stick to them. Schedule time for work and time for personal activities. Communicate with your loved ones about your schedule and make time for them. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize your physical and mental well-being.

What resources are available to help me find balance as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Pampered Chef offers resources such as training and support from your team and leaders. You can also reach out to your fellow consultants for advice and support. Additionally, there are many self-care resources available online and in books that can help you find balance in your personal and professional life.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • Lexif424
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • PCJenni