• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Adding Miracle Whip to Mashed Potatoes a Good Idea?

so I am always switching it up)For many many years now I have made mashed potates early in the day and then I put them in a crock pot - turn them of high for about 30 minutes and then on warm until we eat - this will be 4 to 5 hours later. My cousin just came by to said "hi" to my dad and said that she has never heard of this and that is a 'crazy' idea. Like I said -I have done this for many many years and when I do it early enough - I get the dishes done and one thing is out of the way. Does any one else do this or is it a 'crazy' idea. It works real well for me.
whiteyteresa
For many many years now I have made mashed potates early in the day and then I put them in a crock pot - turn them of high for about 30 minutes and then on warm until we eat - this will be 4 to 5 hours later

My cousin just came by to said "hi" to my dad and said that she has never heard of this and that is a 'crazy' idea

Like I said -I have done this for many many years and when I do it early enough - I get the dishes done and one thing is out of the way.

Does any one else do this or is it a 'crazy' idea.

It works real well for me

:chef:

Do you actually make them (boil on the stove) early in the day or let the potatoes roast all day and them mash them??

my mashed potatoes come out BLAH every time. i will try anything that works. my in laws make really really yummy mashed potatoes. but i know they dont make them ahead of time.

I boil them, mash them, with butter (lots - Paula Dean fan) and milk - then put them in the crock pot - I just turn the heat up at first to get everything hot at the same time and then turn it down. They are always yummy for me and my family. It is a stress reducer for me. I have always hated trying to make mashed potatoes when everyone is watching me at the last minute so that is why I do them early

First of all...if it works for you, who cares if your cousin thinks you're crazy :p

My sister is the Queen of Mashed Potatoes. (It's the only thing she can cook!!) When my daughter was smaller she always wanted "Aunt Lori's Fluffy White Clouds". Her secret ingredient is baking powder.

She started making them in advance and putting them in the crock pot. We did it for our Christmas dinner and they were fabulous! I will do this if I'm making a large meal for others. If it's just my family, I do them in a saucepan and use my Mix 'N Masher.

I boil my red potatos cut in cubes with the skin on, and then beat the tar out of them with butter, milk, and cream cheese- I like them with a few lumps in them...I've been told I make super smashed potatos... you can subsitute the cream cheese for sour cream if you'd like...

whiteyteresa said:
For many many years now I have made mashed potates early in the day and then I put them in a crock pot - turn them of high for about 30 minutes and then on warm until we eat - this will be 4 to 5 hours later

My cousin just came by to said "hi" to my dad and said that she has never heard of this and that is a 'crazy' idea

Like I said -I have done this for many many years and when I do it early enough - I get the dishes done and one thing is out of the way.

Does any one else do this or is it a 'crazy' idea.

It works real well for me

Yes. I make them completely and keep them warm in the crock pot. It frees up my stove top too for all the other goodies.

I have heard of making them ahead of time with cream cheese (so it holds well for reheating) but I have not heard of putting them in the crock pot -- that is a FABULOUS idea and I will probably do that next Thanksgiving. Anything I can do to free up time is fine by me!

Nothing that works well for you as a person is a crazy idea... pay no attention... I hear jealousy raging. Just enjoy for smart idea and keep on keeping on! :)

Thanks Everyone

A few questions

how much baking powder??? this sounds great

do you use the soft or brick of cream cheese and how much??? this sounds great too

I have put whole pieces of peeled garlic in the boiling process in mine but didn't like it - I might try to press the garlic next time - does anyone do this and if so HOW???

I have also put cheddar cheese in mine before - some like it others don't so before I add the cheese I will divide the potatoes in different crock pots and then add cheese to one of them and put a note on the one with the cheese.

(Just to let you know - I own about 10 different sizes in crock pots - I use them for my bake sales I do for the March of Dimes/Cancer RFL/and helping out at my church - I find that crock pots are the best things for bake sales
- I use them for hot dog sauce, saurkruat (sp??), cheese sauce, and to keep the hot dogs warm)

You're going to want to roast the garlic, not put it in raw. The roasting is what gives it the subtle, softer flavor. So, roast the garlic (in a toaster oven) while you are prepping and boiling the potatoes. When you are at mashing stage, add the roasted garlic.

I put in as much cream cheese as I want, based on the amount of potatos I have boiled, and I keep tasting it along the way till it seems right to me. Sorry that isn't much help... Oh, it is room temp for better mixing.

whiteyteresa said:
Thanks Everyone

A few questions

do you use the soft or brick of cream cheese and how much??? this sounds great too

I have put whole pieces of peeled garlic in the boiling process in mine but didn't like it - I might try to press the garlic next time - does anyone do this and if so HOW???

I have also put cheddar cheese in mine before - some like it others don't so before I add the cheese I will divide the potatoes in different crock pots and then add cheese to one of them and put a note on the one with the cheese.

(Just to let you know - I own about 10 different sizes in crock pots - I use them for my bake sales I do for the March of Dimes/Cancer RFL/and helping out at my church - I find that crock pots are the best things for bake sales
- I use them for hot dog sauce, saurkruat (sp??), cheese sauce, and to keep the hot dogs warm)

What are your favorite slow cookers/crock pots? I just received the Euro-Pro 6 quart slow cooker for Christmas. It's too big! Someday, when my boys are teenagers I may need a 6 quart. For now, I need a smaller version, but I can't find the same one in a 3 or 4 quart.
I started a thread a while back, and that is why I asked for the Euro-Pro, but now I need a smaller one. Since you use yours so often, you would know what is the best.

JAE said:
What are your favorite slow cookers/crock pots? I just received the Euro-Pro 6 quart slow cooker for Christmas. It's too big! Someday, when my boys are teenagers I may need a 6 quart. For now, I need a smaller version, but I can't find the same one in a 3 or 4 quart.
I started a thread a while back, and that is why I asked for the Euro-Pro, but now I need a smaller one. Since you use yours so often, you would know what is the best.

I just got a Hamilton Beach slow cooker for Christmas, and it has three different inserts, a 2 quart, 4 quart and 6 quart. I haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works, but I think the different sizes are great. For two of us, 6 quarts is way too big, but it's nice to have it as an option for holidays and get-togethers. I'll let you know what I think after I used it a few times.

I always put garlic crushed in the garlic press in mine. Often I'll put sour cream in mine too.

Sometimes a little cheese...

My sister in law puts her potatoes in the crock pot early every year. It is just one more thing out of the way when we are doing the last minute dinner things. They taste the same as when you cook them and serve them right away.

I use my crock pot for them when we have big meals.
I also add baking powder and heavy cream and butter every time I make them. I use about 1 1/2 tsp per 3 pounds
When I do my garlic a,mshed potatoes I just minced it before boiling the potatoes.

chefbritt said:
I just got a Hamilton Beach slow cooker for Christmas, and it has three different inserts, a 2 quart, 4 quart and 6 quart. I haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works, but I think the different sizes are great. For two of us, 6 quarts is way too big, but it's nice to have it as an option for holidays and get-togethers. I'll let you know what I think after I used it a few times.

My mom just gave me a 6 qt crock pot....seemed like a great idea at the time but it is really too big for most of my regular recipes. I LOVE the 3 insert crock pots. What a great idea! I would LOVE to get one someday :)

Teresa~ I love this idea! I think I will do this the next time I make a big amount of mashed potatoes! I think your cousin is just jealous of the fact that you are so smart!:chef: :D ;)
She seems to be the "crazy" one to me! I wish I would have thought of this myself! :sing: LOL! If it were me then I'd be proud to be crazy! LOL!;) :)

chefbritt said:
Ooooohhhh!!!:eek: :eek: :D I love this idea also!!!:love: I must go buy one!! I think I will, my b-day is coming up real soon and I think I will have to get me one! Thanks for the great info!;) :) :thumbup:

my favorite is my hamilton beach Sto & Go

I just LOVE:love: this one

I have ones that is (3) 2 qt, 3 qt, 4 qt, (3) 5 qt, and then my (2)6 qt (HB)

Thanks Everyone

We boil the garlic with the potatoes. Makes them really, really good!

If it works for you, then keep doing it your way. I agree, mashed potatoes are something that needs to be right at the last minute but your idea sounds like a good one to avoid that stress.

What size is the Sto and Go? If it's a 6 quart then which 3-4 quart crock pot is your favorite?

JAE said:
What size is the Sto and Go? If it's a 6 quart then which 3-4 quart crock pot is your favorite?

6 quart

I make my potatoes with my grandmas recipe. Cream cheese (a whole package), add butter (not margarine) and milk. I mash them down, then use the handmixer and they come out so smooth. Putting them in the crock is a great idea. I'd use low so they didn't dry out. Funny! I had them tonight. I made a spiral ham yesterday with the mashed potatoes. We had left overs today. I'm eating potatoes now. Even better the next day.

Yum.

chefbritt said:

I'll be curious to see how this works. I like the idea of having different sizes available without buying 3 different machines but I can't tell from the pictures I've seen how far down into the unit they sit. I used to have something where the "crock" sat on top of the heating unit & it never worked very well. Keep us posted. I'm in the market for a new slow cooker to replace a defective one.

whiteyteresa said:
Thanks Everyone

A few questions

I have done this and they turned out well.....this is my madeup recipe

I used red potatoes(5lb) washed really well with skins left on or you can peel. 4 minced garlic cloves and some parsley...boil until tender. Drain mash with 8oz cream cheese, stick butter, and milk(amount depends on how you like your mashed potatoes) Then I add salt and pepper to taste. Sometime I add cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.

Another thing you can do is add a packet of dry hidden valley ranch dressing along with your butter!! MMMMM....my aunt makes them this way!

Adding Miracle WhipReceived this recipe from my sister yesterday. Sounds interesting :)

3 lbs white potatoes
1/4 c. whole milk
2 Tbs butter
4 Tbs Miracle Whip

The Miracle Whip adds a whiter appearance and slight "tang".

I also read a tip yesterday that said to always start your potatoes in COLD water. If you start with warm/hot water, the potatoes will start cooking on the outside first and cook unevenly.

What are the best potatoes to use for mashed potatoes?

The best potatoes to use for mashed potatoes are starchy potatoes such as Russet or Yukon Gold. These types of potatoes will result in a fluffy and creamy texture.

Do I need to peel the potatoes before mashing?

Peeling the potatoes is a personal preference. If you prefer smooth and creamy mashed potatoes, then it is recommended to peel the potatoes. However, if you prefer a more rustic texture, leaving the skin on can add flavor and texture.

Can I make mashed potatoes ahead of time?

Yes, you can make mashed potatoes ahead of time. To reheat, simply place them in a pot with a little butter or milk and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.

What is the best way to mash potatoes?

The best way to mash potatoes is with a potato masher or a ricer. These tools will result in a smooth and creamy texture. Avoid using a blender or food processor as it can overwork the potatoes and result in a gluey texture.

How do I make my mashed potatoes more flavorful?

To add more flavor to your mashed potatoes, you can mix in ingredients such as garlic, herbs, cheese, or bacon. You can also use chicken or vegetable broth instead of milk for a savory twist. Don't be afraid to experiment with different flavors and seasonings to find your perfect mashed potato recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lmradlein
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cookingwith_tara
Replies
Views
Chef Diane