• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Transforming Mashed Potatoes: A Quick and Easy Recipe Using the DCB

In summary, Amanda was able to make mashed potatoes quickly and easily in the DCB using the Mix N Masher, without having to peel the potatoes. Her potatoes came out smooth and creamy, and she enjoyed them at her in-laws' house that night.
MLinAZ
Gold Member
So after making the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder last week I got to thinking...why couldn't I make mashed potatoes in the DCB?

So I did. I just cut them in half, added some milk, baked them 11 minutes, moved them around and baked them another 10 minutes then mashed with the Mix N Chop, added milk and butter and voila - smooth, tasty, FRESH mashed potatoes, in the microwave in about 25 minutes!

I took them to my in-laws' house for dinner that night and everyone enjoyed them! And my MIL was jealous that I could do real mashed potatoes that quickly with so few steps!

**ETA - to clarify I baked them in the microwave!

Last edited:
Adding to DCB file

GREAT idea!! THANKS FOR SHARING!! DH LOVES real mashed potatoes, but they are SO time consuming!! SOOOO excited to do this!

Did you peel the potatoes?

MLinAZ said:
So after making the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder last week I got to thinking...why couldn't I make mashed potatoes in the DCB?

So I did. I just cut them in half, added some milk, baked them 11 minutes, moved them around and baked them another 10 minutes then mashed with the Mix N Chop, added milk and butter and voila - smooth, tasty, FRESH mashed potatoes, in the microwave in about 25 minutes!

I took them to my in-laws' house for dinner that night and everyone enjoyed them! And my MIL was jealous that I could do real mashed potatoes that quickly with so few steps!

**ETA - to clarify I baked them in the microwave!

I did this the other night...use to many potatos...just took a little longer. Much better I thought than cooking in water. This is how I will fix them from now on. And I didin't peel mine. We like the skin!

No I didn't peel them. I don't mind the skins (although my kids complain) and it's one less thing to do! Anything to cut down on the amount of work it takes to cook is my philosophy.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

MLinAZ said:

Roughly how much is "some milk" that you added at the beginning?

question?
I made the loaded baked potatoe chowder and stopped micro. at 11 minutes, rotated potatoes, and then back in for about 10 min.
Turned out fine..but I will peel potatoes...
Second time I made it for meeting....
I thought I'd try to cut down a step by not stopping micro and not rotating potatoes...only problem I had was the milk boiled over in micro....at about 13 minutes...do you think it's because I didn't stop and let micro rest a minute...?
just curious...the potatoes will cook evenly in my micro without rotating the pototatoes in baker...so I didn't want to have to stop it...but maybe I do (just for resting time for a minute or 2)

I don't measure a lot of times unless it's necessary, but I'd say put in 1/2 cup which is what is called for in the chowder recipe.

Kreaser - I have no idea about resting/boiling over theory. It only takes a minute to rotate so I have rotated both times I've done potatoes in the DCB.

I made smashed potatoes once in the DCB that were SOOOOO good! The only thing is that I need to experiment w/ the volume of food and the cooking time, because I had the milk boil over. They were still awesome despite that happening though. This is what I did:cut up potatoes (I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 6 potatoes--the baker was filled a little more than 1/2 way)
3 cloves of garlic (I just cut them in half and tossed in among the potatoes)
Milk (covered potatoes 1/2 way)I think I microwaved them for 10 minutes, checked them, and then added a few minutes. Then checked them and added more minutes as needed until they were fork tender.Then I added cream cheese and a stick of butter and some salt and mashed it all together. YUM!

Amanda, did you use the mix & mash to do those? I have made potatoes with similar ingredients on the stove w/ the mix & mash, but I've never tried that tool in the DCB. Thanks!

jackieblue said:
Amanda, did you use the mix & mash to do those? I have made potatoes with similar ingredients on the stove w/ the mix & mash, but I've never tried that tool in the DCB. Thanks!

Yes, I used the Mix n Masher. :)

Thank you! Wish I had 2 DCBs so I could make these tonight. I love that tool...

Yeah, I broke down and bought another one. I use mine so much, it was hard to always have it ready for a show. Plus now there's just so many recipes for it, I'd have dinner and dessert needing a DCB. :D

My Potato Chowder came out looking like mashed potatoes. I guess the milk amount depends on the size or amount of potatoes. It still tasted good but I ate it with a fork.

babywings76 said:
Yeah, I broke down and bought another one. I use mine so much, it was hard to always have it ready for a show. Plus now there's just so many recipes for it, I'd have dinner and dessert needing a DCB. :D

That's so funny, as I was reading this thread I was thinking, "Okay, I so need a second DCB and Microwave!" I may have to think about a catalog show to earn a second one. I am so kicking myself for not ordering the new white one in the Sample Package... I just didn't think that I needed 2 of them, now I know that I do!

If you don't want to peel the potatoes, but think the thick brown skins are a turn off, I suggest using white or red potatoes instead. You'll have to make adjustments, but it should turn out fine.

My father has an occassional bouts with diverticulites (not spelt right?) and potatoe skins REALLY hurt him putting him in the ER. I always peel potatoes. I just don't want to take the chance of hurting anyone out there.

When I made mine, as I said it was FULL, I only used 3/4 cup of milk. It's more of a steam than cooking in the milk. Then I just add some more while I was mashing them up.

What is the best way to make mashed potatoes in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

The best way to make mashed potatoes in the DCB is to first peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Place them in the DCB with enough water to cover them. Microwave for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. You can also add in your desired seasonings and mix-ins before or after mashing.

Can I make mashed sweet potatoes in the DCB?

Yes, you can make mashed sweet potatoes in the DCB using the same method as regular mashed potatoes. Keep in mind that sweet potatoes may require a slightly longer cooking time.

Do I need to add any liquid when making mashed potatoes in the DCB?

Yes, you will need to add enough water to cover the potatoes before microwaving. This will help them cook evenly and prevent them from drying out.

Can I make a large batch of mashed potatoes in the DCB?

Yes, the DCB can hold up to 4 pounds of potatoes, making it perfect for making a large batch of mashed potatoes. You may need to cook them in two batches if you are making more than 4 pounds.

How do I clean the DCB after making mashed potatoes?

To clean the DCB, simply soak it in warm, soapy water for a few minutes before washing it with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. You can also put it in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. Make sure to avoid using metal utensils on the DCB to prevent scratching.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • tpasto
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
zmom58
Replies
Views
Dotty