• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Marketing Yourself: Mailing Out Letters & Catalogs

It's worth a shot to try it, but it's definitely not something you should do if you're not prepared to invest a lot of time into it.
sarahsworld2000
I am trying to get my name out there and was thinking of doing this. Has anyone just mailed out letters or mini catalogs before? If so, how did it go for you? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the postage. Thanks!

I think the best demographic for PC is families with school-aged children. If you could somehow narrow that down from the phonebook, it might be worth a shot.

All you single & retired folk, don't whap me upside the head. I said "best", not "only"!

I went to church on Sunday for a baby blessing in a new part of town and there were lots and lots of children there are nice new homes. So I was thinking of pulling up the phonebook and mailing to that area. Can't hurt, right?

Not sure what to tell you. But, I am very interested in your results if you do try it.

A few years go, I walked around a nice neighborhood and put out full catalogs on people's door handles. I also included a flyer about how I was tyring to step up my business in the area. I got one order from it:eek:

It just depends on their situation. A few of the people were home, and I talked to them. Several said they had no money for kitchen stuff because they were pouring all their money into furnishing/finishing their new homes and dealing with a higher mortgage.

I used to do this for an insurance company and it worked great. Trouble is, so many young people have cell phones and not landline service anymore that you might not hit the right demographic. See if you can get a map of the area and get house#'s for the streets. Then just send to "Future PC Customer" at so and so street, USA...you get the point.

ShellBeach said:
A few years go, I walked around a nice neighborhood and put out full catalogs on people's door handles. I also included a flyer about how I was tyring to step up my business in the area. I got one order from it:eek:

Yup. I live in one of these neighborhoods. Full of doctors and executives (not us, that's for sure, just needed a big house). I had my grand opening and have attempted other open houses in my neighborhood, invited everyone, door to door. NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, ZERO.

Don't judge a potential customer by the size of their house.

pchockeymom said:
Yup. I live in one of these neighborhoods. Full of doctors and executives (not us, that's for sure, just needed a big house). I had my grand opening and have attempted other open houses in my neighborhood, invited everyone, door to door. NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, ZERO.

Don't judge a potential customer by the size of their house.

LOL...ain't that the truth! They can be the biggest tight-wads ;)
I had a customer recently - it was a referral/phone order. She doesn't live far from me, so I added her order to a bunch of others to make a catalog show. I did this especially since she sort of baulked at the couple dollars extra for shipping...not rudely, but just that "oh!", so I said I may be able to get a few more orders, etc etc. Anyway, go to deliver them, she lives in a friggin' mansion by my standards! The kids' mouths hit the floor. HUGE entrance, stairs to the column entrance, the works. Drop off her order, then get back in the car and just laughed at it all- here she was not wanting the extra $3 for direct shipping and she lived in the Taj Mahal of Wake Forest! Then I told the kids, well, maybe they have lost their job, are up to their eyeballs in debt and are eating bologna...what do we know- we can't judge. ;) Me, I'm happy in my low-mortgage, very nice house, with 2 paid for cars and a nicely manicured lawn that my DH and I take care of instead of having to hire a service or ranch-hands.

To answer the question- no, I've not done 'cold-mailing'. ...but I don't know that I'd do more than postcards. Stamps are so expensive.

I'm going to think out loud a little here. The standard response for cold contacts (i.e. mailing things to people who have no previous contact with your business) was less than 10% the last time I checked. So, imagine that you send out one packet of mini-catalogs (25).$3.50 for mini-catalogs
$11.00 for postage (assuming you don't add anything that would put it over 1 oz)10% of 25 is 2.5. Average response is actually less than that, so let's say 1 or 2 people contact you.That's $14.50 for a realistic 1 or 2 contacts. That seems like a lot to me, but that's me.

raebates said:
I'm going to think out loud a little here. The standard response for cold contacts (i.e. mailing things to people who have no previous contact with your business) was less than 10% the last time I checked. So, imagine that you send out one packet of mini-catalogs (25).$3.50 for mini-catalogs
$11.00 for postage (assuming you don't add anything that would put it over 1 oz)10% of 25 is 2.5. Average response is actually less than that, so let's say 1 or 2 people contact you.That's $14.50 for a realistic 1 or 2 contacts. That seems like a lot to me, but that's me.
There's the rub. That one or two contacts may just do a small order someday, or may be a host that leads to a show of $500 ($100 commission), that leads to 2 more shows, that leads to 4, etc etc. If each of those shows average $100 in commission...that was a good investment! Even one show would be a good investment, IMHO. The key though, once you get that contact, is to try to build a rapport or relationship with that person somehow...giving them recipes, your newsletter, etc. If they feel they know you a bit and are comfortable, they may stick around. The ones I've found that I didn't do that with, fizzle fast. I've spent $20-50 on a booth or table at a fair, and only get 1 or 2 good leads out of the whole thing! (been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it! a few of them!). And those contacts fizzle on you, or yield little in overall return.Bottom line- it's a gamble. One, if you have a good target market, could pay off. Just keep track of what you spend for your taxes. ;)let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Find a better way to be proactive to get "real" leads. This kind of "lead shopping" is a good way to get cold leads. The ball is in their court and unless they were looking for someone like you they aren't going to respond. Maybe invest in some logo wear or catalog tote bag and make a trip to the mall a couple times a week. This would be a more proactive way to get leads. Get prepared on what to say to people when they say "Oh I love PC!" so that you aren't like a deer in the headlights when they say that.

I agree, Bobbi. I just wanted to get that out there. I'm always making contacts, so for me that's not a good return. But, I can see how it could be for others. I think it's important to look at the costs with realistic expectations in mind. I've known people who said things along the lines of "I talked to [or called, or emailed, or whatever] 25 people and didn't even get one order."To me there are better ways to get warm or hot leads. But, that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

I would not mail anything. It's very unlikely that you'll get a response.

I do know, though, that my Director has picked up the phone book and just called people. She says that she'll act as if she's trying to reach someone else, then say she's the Pampered Chef lady and was trying to reach a customer. Sometimes she'll get the "Oh, I love Pampered Chef!" response, and it'll lead to a conversation.

I'm not that brave, and if you really want to get technical, that's kind of skirting do-not-call regulations, but it works for her.

raebates said:
.....That's $14.50 for a realistic 1 or 2 contacts. That seems like a lot to me, but that's me.
I like how you broke that down! I think $14.50 to book a show with a new group of folks outside my circle of friends would be a fabulous ROI, though.

esavvymom said:
...I've spent $20-50 on a booth or table at a fair, and only get 1 or 2 good leads out of the whole thing! ....
Exactly! Booths can cost a lot more and you're still not guaranteed any leads.

wadesgirl said:
Find a better way to be proactive to get "real" leads. This kind of "lead shopping" is a good way to get cold leads. The ball is in their court and unless they were looking for someone like you they aren't going to respond. .....
Not for nothing, but I think the mailings are actually being more proactive than wearing logo wear. Not knocking logo wear, it's gotten me a few contacts, but how is logo wear any different? The ball is still in their court to speak up and say they love Pampered Chef when they see it on your shirt ($20 and up) or catalog tote ($15). The good thing about logo wear, though, is it's not a one-shot mailing.

Marketing all comes down to timing, doesn't it? Someone in the market for your product and having the money & inclination to buy it.

My main caution to Sarah was what Bobbi also said - nice houses don't mean lots of money to spend on PC. It might mean two frazzled parents working such crazy hours to pay the rent, that the idea of cleaning up the house to have folks over gives them a panic attack :blushing: In which case, it would be better to go to their office and have a lunch show there.

ShellBeach said:
I like how you broke that down! I think $14.50 to book a show with a new group of folks outside my circle of friends would be a fabulous ROI, though.

Exactly! Booths can cost a lot more and you're still not guaranteed any leads.

Not for nothing, but I think the mailings are actually being more proactive than wearing logo wear. Not knocking logo wear, it's gotten me a few contacts, but how is logo wear any different? The ball is still in their court to speak up and say they love Pampered Chef when they see it on your shirt ($20 and up) or catalog tote ($15). The good thing about logo wear, though, is it's not a one-shot mailing.

Marketing all comes down to timing, doesn't it? Someone in the market for your product and having the money & inclination to buy it.

My main caution to Sarah was what Bobbi also said - nice houses don't mean lots of money to spend on PC. It might mean two frazzled parents working such crazy hours to pay the rent, that the idea of cleaning up the house to have folks over gives them a panic attack :blushing: In which case, it would be better to go to their office and have a lunch show there.
At least with the logowear you are there to help them and can get their information and follow up with them. Unlike mailings where it's completely up to them.

I don't think I would personally choose to do it, just for the fear that I wouldn't want PC to be viewed as a spam company. But, if you are really set on doing the mailings, you might want to consider a stamped Season's Best. Strangers are more likely to hold onto the cookbook than a mini catalog. Who knows, they just might call you at some point down the road.

I worry about that seeming like its spam, too. I would rather put on some logo wear, or take some work like putting packets together where you would have catalogs out, go to McDonald's and buy a soda and sit there and 'work' and find that younger crowd there while their kids are playing.

Sandi

This is one of the things I love about this site. Someone tosses out an idea. Many of us chime in with our opinions and suggestions. That allows the original poster to evaluate their idea. Good or bad. Yes or no. That person is now making a well-informed decision. As for the booth comparison, everyone's experience is different. With very rare exceptions*, I never pay more than $30 for a booth, and (with 1 notable exception involving other people) I have never, ever left a booth without enough orders to make a show and cover my expenses and at least two bookings. But, that's me.*The exceptions for the booth cost are the few times I've done so as a donation to a cause. For instance, I paid $50 for my Relay for Life booth.

ShellBeach said:

$14.50 might be a good cost for a new booking, but there's no guarantee that's all you'll have to spend. I sent out some mini catalogs based on recent home sale listings in our local paper once. 20-something mailings, not a one contact.

ShellBeach said:

To an extent, the ball is in their court, yes. However, you will be face-to-face with the person, and you can still strike up a conversation first. Something as simple as a compliment on something they're wearing. That then opens the door for them to continue the conversation, where they might not have started one themselves (I tend to be that way, which of course isn't very productive to my business :D).

And as you already mentioned, the per-use cost of your logowear goes down with each new order, show and recruit. You don't have to keep replacing it, while you do have to keep sending new minis and paying for postage for each new attempt in mailing things.

NooraK said:
$14.50 might be a good cost for a new booking, but there's no guarantee that's all you'll have to spend. I sent out some mini catalogs based on recent home sale listings in our local paper once. 20-something mailings, not a one contact.

To an extent, the ball is in their court, yes. However, you will be face-to-face with the person, and you can still strike up a conversation first. Something as simple as a compliment on something they're wearing. That then opens the door for them to continue the conversation, where they might not have started one themselves (I tend to be that way, which of course isn't very productive to my business :D).

And as you already mentioned, the per-use cost of your logowear goes down with each new order, show and recruit. You don't have to keep replacing it, while you do have to keep sending new minis and paying for postage for each new attempt in mailing things.

When I first started - I sent targeted mailings to people with engagement announcements, and birth announcements. I also did a mailing to everyone in my neighborhood. I never had even one response. (I have had since then several neighborhood parties, but that was from developing relationships, not from a mailing.)

ON THE OTHER HAND:

I've gotten MANY responses to logo wear throughout the years. Shows, orders, recruits....and it's amazing when I can trace a ton of shows and a couple recruits from one chance meeting in a Health Food Store!

IMO, random (may be targeted, but it's still random) mailings aren't worth the time or the cost. Your time would be much better served building relationships and actually getting out and talking with people.

It's a relationship business. Do you start a relationship from a postcard? Doubtful. Do you start a relationship from shared interests? Yes, often. Do you start a relationship being introduced by a friend? Often. We have a fantastic catalog and mini-catalog. What makes it different is us. Unless the person gets a sense of YOU, they won't particularly be inclined, unless you happen to contact someone new who has experienced that relationship in another town and wants it where they live now.

I think you would be wasting your time and money.
Your time would be better spent going someplace where you can meet people and start a conversation.

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiances. I have learned a great deal of information from all the posts and that is exactly why I love this board. To hear things from all different sides! :) I am gonna try several of the ideas you guys mentioned.

sandilou said:
I worry about that seeming like its spam, too. I would rather put on some logo wear, or take some work like putting packets together where you would have catalogs out, go to McDonald's and buy a soda and sit there and 'work' and find that younger crowd there while their kids are playing.

Sandi
I have booked a few shows while 'working' at McDonalds. I will set up meetings with my hosts to host coach or even close shows. I'll let my hosts leave while I finalize paperwork and usually someone will approach me for information.

sarahsworld2000 said:
.... I have learned a great deal of information from all the posts and that is exactly why I love this board. To hear things from all different sides! ....

Yes, I like the pros & cons aspect of the discussion, too!
Just to throw something else out there...on the logowear, I have found a light background with dark PC lettering on the front gets the most attention. Some of the newer Merrill "concept" styles look cute, but if they are tone-on-tone or just on the sleeve they rarely get noticed. At least, in my experience. What do you all think?

ShellBeach said:
Yes, I like the pros & cons aspect of the discussion, too!
Just to throw something else out there...on the logowear, I have found a light background with dark PC lettering on the front gets the most attention. Some of the newer Merrill "concept" styles look cute, but if they are tone-on-tone or just on the sleeve they rarely get noticed. At least, in my experience. What do you all think?

I agree. If I'm spending the money, it needs to be noticeable. :) Not gaudy, but something they easily see without staring at your chest to do it! ;)

I guess black with white lettering would be OK, too. Just as long as it's high contrast.

sarahsworld2000 said:
I went to church on Sunday for a baby blessing in a new part of town and there were lots and lots of children there are nice new homes. So I was thinking of pulling up the phonebook and mailing to that area. Can't hurt, right?

You might want to see if the church has an online directory - or does a church bazaar - my old church used to do that (probably still does but I haven't been in years) and it could be a great way to not only make contacts, but meet some great people :)

Just another idea, why not simply print something wonderful in color. Then go to that neighborhood and knock on doors? Or simply drop off the flier?

1. How do I obtain mailing addresses for potential customers?

To obtain mailing addresses for potential customers, you can purchase mailing lists from reputable companies or gather addresses from customer orders and events. You can also ask for addresses from friends and family to expand your customer base.

2. What should I include in my marketing mailers?

Include a personalized letter introducing yourself, your business, and the products you offer. You can also include a catalog or brochure showcasing your products and any special offers or promotions.

3. How often should I mail out letters and catalogs?

It is recommended to mail out letters and catalogs at least once a month to keep your business fresh in the minds of potential customers. However, you can also adjust the frequency based on your budget and the response rate.

4. Can I include samples in my marketing mailers?

Yes, you can include product samples in your marketing mailers to give potential customers a taste of the high-quality products you offer. This can entice them to make a purchase and become a loyal customer.

5. How can I track the effectiveness of my marketing mailers?

You can track the effectiveness of your marketing mailers by including a unique promo code or tracking number in each mailer. This will allow you to see how many sales or inquiries were generated from each specific mailer and adjust your marketing strategy accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mystik
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
cookery
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies